facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 7, 2014, 12:59 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

I think Selector will go for 3 SLA for ODI's. Shakib, Razzak, Taizul. Don't think they will pick Jubair.

Old November 7, 2014, 01:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Don't think Taijul or Jubair should be picked for ODIs. BCB always tries to turn everyone into an all format player. Remember Gazi? Taijul and Jubair should be kept for Tests only. Maybe Jubair for ODIs, but we really don't need a other SLA for ODIs when Arafat and Razzak are there.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 7, 2014, 01:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Taijul seems to be mature enough to be picked in all formats (especially remembering his performance in BPL). His batting can be also handy in shorter formats.

But Jubair has a long way to go. Giving him a try against Zimbabwe, on a home tour, was ok. But he should not be in consideration against any other opposition atm. For ODI, with WC in mind, at this point we should stick to our SLA army (Shakib, Taijul, Arafat).
Old November 7, 2014, 05:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Don't think Taijul or Jubair should be picked for ODIs. BCB always tries to turn everyone into an all format player. Remember Gazi? Taijul and Jubair should be kept for Tests only. Maybe Jubair for ODIs, but we really don't need a other SLA for ODIs when Arafat and Razzak are there.
If they want a leggy in short formats make it nur hossain, I agree to keep jubair and taijul for tests only.
Old November 7, 2014, 06:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

A fantastic prospect is this Jubair. I love everything about this little gem even his sliding atheletic fielding in the outfield. Barely 20 and seems to have already mastered the very difficult art of legspin. His googly, especially, to the right handers is right up there. He needs to play a lot more games to understand and master all the subtleties of the art he practiced. He should be kept away from the T20s. And given every opprtunity to play in Tests in all spin friendly grounds. We should be patient with him, too. As an aspiring leggy he will go for runs on occasions but he will bring us a lot of wickets, too. The captain and the management must come to this realisation.

Shakib, Taijul and Jubair makes an excellent spin attack by any standards. I am terribly excited by this young lad.
Old November 7, 2014, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Good prospect for a strike spinner.

We have quite a lot of "Unforced error" spinners, who wait for batsmen to play a false stroke under pressure. But we dont have many who can manufacture wickets through pure skill. Shakib does it often, but he himself admits he isnt an attacking bowler who can take a batting lineup apart.
Old November 7, 2014, 10:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Taijul seems to be mature enough to be picked in all formats (especially remembering his performance in BPL). His batting can be also handy in shorter formats.

But Jubair has a long way to go. Giving him a try against Zimbabwe, on a home tour, was ok. But he should not be in consideration against any other opposition atm. For ODI, with WC in mind, at this point we should stick to our SLA army (Shakib, Taijul, Arafat).
I agree with this. Taijul should definitely play ODIs also. Jubair has potential, and he may reach it someday, but he isn't ready. Giving him a go against Zimbabwe was OK. Call Nuur up for ODIs.
Old November 8, 2014, 12:14 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

I was really impressed with his 2nd innings bowling. Even though he was expensive but he wasn't afraid to attack the batsman.And some of his delivery was top notch like wicket of chakava. Very good prospect for us.
Old November 8, 2014, 12:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
A fantastic prospect is this Jubair. I love everything about this little gem even his sliding atheletic fielding in the outfield. Barely 20 and seems to have already mastered the very difficult art of legspin. His googly, especially, to the right handers is right up there. He needs to play a lot more games to understand and master all the subtleties of the art he practiced. He should be kept away from the T20s. And given every opprtunity to play in Tests in all spin friendly grounds. We should be patient with him, too. As an aspiring leggy he will go for runs on occasions but he will bring us a lot of wickets, too. The captain and the management must come to this realisation.

Shakib, Taijul and Jubair makes an excellent spin attack by any standards. I am terribly excited by this young lad.
absolutely agreed.
Old November 8, 2014, 02:45 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Are there any clips of his bowling? I only saw a little bit of his bowling in the first test but not the second one.
Old November 8, 2014, 05:15 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Being a leggie myself, it was interesting to see a leggie bowl from our side. my observation from the two tests, he has variations to offer which is the difference these days between a good leggie and an ineffective one. He doesnt skid the bowl much as the great Warne did but rather tosses it which is why i think he gets some speed but looses out on length. His inconsistency is understandable and happens with all leggies as it is very tough to bowl but that could be improved on with more accuracy based trainings and most importantly match practice. So far he bowled in two spin friendly surfaces. I feel like he would be tonked around in other flat wickets. the wicket or 2 wont make up for the pile of runs he would leak and eventually mushy would be too defensive to use him. So let him play the full NCL and BCL and I am sure even just one full domestic season would improve his accuracy.
Old November 14, 2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
"I had dismissed Brendan Taylor before so I was trying to do the same thing here," Jubair said. "He was trying to drive the ball when there's a bit of flight. I thought that maybe if I toss the ball up, he might play a shot. I have seen that if someone is trying to hit the ball in Test cricket, a chance is always created.

"Chigumbura too drives a lot. In his case too, I was trying to catch him on the drive," he said. "I was trying to beat him a couple of times, so that he keeps driving. But I would say the wicket of Sikandar Raza was the best one. He is a good batsman. On any wicket, a legspinner tries to turn the ball more than other bowlers. I bowled it side arm, which made it turn a bit more."

Jubair said that it was captain Mushfiqur Rahim who guided him throughout this spell, especially what lengths to bowl at Zimbabwe's main batsmen. After he had taken the fourth wicket, he was getting a bit jittery for the five-for. There too, Mushfiqur gave him the confidence and calmed him down.

"Since Mushfiqur bhai stands behind the wicket, he has a better idea of what fields to set for me," he said. "I have told him a few times but generally he sets my fields and tells me where to bowl. I try to do as he tells me and today I was successful. When I was bowling to Chigumbura, he told me to make him drive and against Taylor, he asked me to flight the ball.
nice thinking from jubair and mushy.
Full story
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...tml?CMP=chrome
Old November 14, 2014, 12:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Whatmore pointed out yesterday how Mushfiq is not noticing where the batsman (namely Chakabva) playing his shots and still going with a scripted field setting.

Jubair needs to learn fast how to set up his own field, especially if he is to survive against a side like Pakistan (our next Test opponent). He got time till next year April to develop his own game and should be spending the time in domestics.
Old November 14, 2014, 01:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Whatmore pointed out yesterday how Mushfiq is not noticing where the batsman (namely Chakabva) playing his shots and still going with a scripted field setting.

Jubair needs to learn fast how to set up his own field, especially if he is to survive against a side like Pakistan (our next Test opponent). He got time till next year April to develop his own game and should be spending the time in domestics.
Old November 14, 2014, 02:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

To be fair, a leggie bowling to a RHB will always have a packed off side. The ball turns that way, edges will likely go there. Taylor 2x, Raza 2x fell that exact way. Chakabva was slogging, numerous top edges that just didn't go to hand. Sure Mushy could have put 3 or 4 on the leg side, but Jubair as a young leggie was spraying it around.

Difference is he bowls 1-2 geniune wicket taking deliveries every over or ever 2 overs, so while he goes for runs, he also takes wickets quickly.

He has a ways to go, but excellent start. He will get better with time. And yes, PAK will most likely smash him next year. He needs to be persisted with despite that. Leg spin ain't easy.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 14, 2014, 03:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
... And yes, PAK will most likely smash him next year. He needs to be persisted with despite that. Leg spin ain't easy.
You make good points, Al. But, I tend to disagree that Pak or others will most likely smash him into tokhta. As you rightly pointed out Jubair does bowl wicket taking balls and as long as he does exactly that he will strike against anybody. The key to his bowling should be bowling the right bowl (line, length, right area and to the field and not the long hops) -not bowling to any particular batter or names. Doesn't matter if the batter a Bradman or Viv Richards.

He needs to cut out the unforced errors and boundary balls as much as possible for an young legspinner. Bowl well in tandem with others and create pressure. He might get smashed for an over or two BUT he will always pose a threat to ANY batsman. He has flight, rip, drift, control and a doosra. Enough to bother any bat or keep them honest. He also seems to think about the game which is always refreshing, especially, coming from our cricketers. His body language and temperament seems to be excellent, too. He needs to be backed, managed and guided. We really have a diamond in the rough here.

Jubair needs to bowl, bowl and bowl more.
Old November 14, 2014, 07:07 PM
Cricket Legend

If Jubair can make WC squad he would be lethal in Australian pitch. I would highly recommend him.
Old November 14, 2014, 08:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
You make good points, Al. But, I tend to disagree that Pak or others will most likely smash him into tokhta. As you rightly pointed out Jubair does bowl wicket taking balls and as long as he does exactly that he will strike against anybody. The key to his bowling should be bowling the right bowl (line, length, right area and to the field and not the long hops) -not bowling to any particular batter or names. Doesn't matter if the batter a Bradman or Viv Richards.

He needs to cut out the unforced errors and boundary balls as much as possible for an young legspinner. Bowl well in tandem with others and create pressure. He might get smashed for an over or two BUT he will always pose a threat to ANY batsman. He has flight, rip, drift, control and a doosra. Enough to bother any bat or keep them honest. He also seems to think about the game which is always refreshing, especially, coming from our cricketers. His body language and temperament seems to be excellent, too. He needs to be backed, managed and guided. We really have a diamond in the rough here.

Jubair needs to bowl, bowl and bowl more.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Have to give credit to the selectors and the coach/captain for bringing Jubair in. It might've sounded risky at the time but he's proved himself big time
Old November 14, 2014, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Good thing is he has this natural tendency of picking wickets-even with ordinary deliveries.

He ll definitely get better with age and experience in terms of skill, thinking. I can remember Amit Mishra in a tri series at Dhaka in 2003 as a 20 year old. Was very impressive with his control, turn, googly, but stay in the team. Now only a decade after that (And probably 300 first class wickets( he has somehow found a place in the squad, but that too not 100% certain. Another very highly rated leggie Piyush Chawla is also getting the snub despite a good consistent domestic record.

And not all leggies do well in the shorter version. Danish Kaneria was such a handful in tests, but not as effective in ODI's. Stuart McGill another name. We must be cautious about not pushing him into that format so quickly. A couple of dry spells, a few hammerings, might do a bit of damage to his confidence, which many of our bowlers find hard to come out of.
Old November 14, 2014, 11:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Couldn't have said it better myself. Have to give credit to the selectors and the coach/captain for bringing Jubair in. It might've sounded risky at the time but he's proved himself big time
Definitely have to give credit to them for even persisting with him in the third test when they could have easily be tempted to try another player like Saqlain Sajib.
Old November 15, 2014, 10:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
If Jubair can make WC squad he would be lethal in Australian pitch. I would highly recommend him.
Totally agree with u
Old November 16, 2014, 02:37 AM
BC Editorial Team

It was worthy going for that review. They will reset anyway in a few overs.
Old November 16, 2014, 11:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

methinks he is a keeper, let's see.
Old November 16, 2014, 12:24 PM

Looked lot more disciplined in 2nd innings bowling. Good sign.
Old November 16, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Definitely have to give credit to them for even persisting with him in the third test when they could have easily be tempted to try another player like Saqlain Sajib.
It is coach Chandika Hathurusingha who promoted Zubair. He even wanted Zubair in the last West Indies series. Coach forced the selectors to select Zubair for this series too per Prothom-Alo.

All credits goes to coach and Zubair. Of course, to the selectors and captain too!