facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 31, 2018, 04:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib
Default ~ The Steve Rhodes Mega Thread ~

So guys,

We have got a new coach. And this coach wins a rare overseas series in this first-ever assignment against a pretty decent WI side.. although, the test series was pretty f*cked up.

So what are your first impressions?

Share away and any updates regarding the coach, this methods, interviews, tactics etc., please share them here.

Old July 31, 2018, 07:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

TBH the win is a numerical statistic but one cant have form a proper opinion about him untill he has atleast 6 months of time with the team.
Old July 31, 2018, 08:45 AM
Cricket Sage

....he is basically an observer in this series.
Old July 31, 2018, 08:52 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

^Correct. I'd say maybe starting Asia Cup we can start making an opinion about him. He would have some time by then to sit down and start making some tactical changes with the squad.
Old July 31, 2018, 08:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Slowly starting to like this guy...

Then again Mash can make any coach look good..
Old July 31, 2018, 09:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Back to a format where BD is making huge leaps in...

Steven Rhodes' first foray in T20Is with the national team.
Learning curves.
Old July 31, 2018, 12:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

I didn't watch the tests. But I kept a keen eye whenever the camera rolled on to him during the ODI's. As he was just knowing the team, I was expecting to see him writing notes or smth. He is definitely not a laptop coach. Sometimes he even seemed not much interested in the game.

Anyway, the result is right there. A tournament like Asia Cup or a test series would be a good scale to judge him down the road.
Old July 31, 2018, 02:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Too early for him. If he can turn Liton into a consistent run scorer, I would say it would be a massive success for the team.
Old August 4, 2018, 05:49 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Can Steve Rhodes turn Soumya's form around? That would be such a massive boost before WC.
Old August 4, 2018, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Can Steve Rhodes turn Soumya's form around? That would be such a massive boost before WC.
If Sarkar can recapture his form it'll give us arguably the best opening partnership in the game with Tamim Averaging 60+ for few years and Sarkar 45+ with 100+ SR

Old August 4, 2018, 10:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
If Sarkar can recapture his form it'll give us arguably the best opening partnership in the game with Tamim Averaging 60+ for few years and Sarkar 45+ with 100+ SR
Sarkar is done. The way he got out against Nurse (1st T20) shows exactly how far he has fallen. He isn't even good enough to add 20-30 quick runs anymore. He only gets chances because Shakib likes him.
Old August 4, 2018, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
It's mostly up to Soumya himself.
Old August 4, 2018, 08:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

I maintain liton isn’t ready to be a t20 bat, at least not a permanent fixture of the t20 team yet, would be better to coach him to be a consistent test and ODI bat more than anything else, he’s starting to go the sabbir/soumya route, lots of talent but not developing the consistency, I still give him a better shot at t as he is at least consistent domestically unlike the other 2.
Old August 4, 2018, 10:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
I maintain liton isn’t ready to be a t20 bat, at least not a permanent fixture of the t20 team yet, would be better to coach him to be a consistent test and ODI bat more than anything else, he’s starting to go the sabbir/soumya route, lots of talent but not developing the consistency, I still give him a better shot at t as he is at least consistent domestically unlike the other 2.
Liton should be a starter in T20s. None of this consistent dropping and changing. He is next in our pipeline and is our future and exposure to T20s will help him transition into the other formats effectively and then the confidence gained will enable him to be a consistent performer for us in all formats.

He is way better than Soumya when it comes to technique, way better temperament, and matches Soumya's clean hitting as well. And he is absolutely dominated domestics for a long time now and Soumya has never really dominated domestics ever.
Old August 4, 2018, 11:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Liton should be a starter in T20s. None of this consistent dropping and changing. He is next in our pipeline and is our future and exposure to T20s will help him transition into the other formats effectively and then the confidence gained will enable him to be a consistent performer for us in all formats.

He is way better than Soumya when it comes to technique, way better temperament, and matches Soumya's clean hitting as well. And he is absolutely dominated domestics for a long time now and Soumya has never really dominated domestics ever.
T20s has been liton’s weakest format his entire career, he certainly has he strike rate but he just struggles to score runs, I think he’d find it easier to get his groove in the other formats before t20.
Old August 5, 2018, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
T20s has been liton’s weakest format his entire career, he certainly has he strike rate but he just struggles to score runs, I think he’d find it easier to get his groove in the other formats before t20.
thing is if it is bilateral T20s no one really cares about the outcome. So it is a great opportunity to blood youngsters and upcoming players to get used to international cricket as a whole
Old August 5, 2018, 07:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
thing is if it is bilateral T20s no one really cares about the outcome. So it is a great opportunity to blood youngsters and upcoming players to get used to international cricket as a whole
I agree as long as the player is given the mental freedom to know his spot in other formats or even in this particular format for a certain period of time is relatively safe so said player can go out there without being nervous of position for next match.

I realise BD youngsters in some respects have been given a long rope but the choppy changey selection is different to other countries where they stick with someone for awhile, checkout stats of other players like maxwell, markram, Mitchell Marsh, kusal perera, kusal mendis. Sure someone of them got dropped here and there but I think if you look at there careers they probably got longer periods of selection and time in the playing xi than some BD players.

I could be wrong, I mean I know sabbir especially hasn’t been chopped and changed as much but even soumya, he’s always competed with imrul, liton, anamul, mominul a bit, Zakir Hasan came in for one match as an opener in t20s. Even shakib, mushy and riyad have had goes in the number 3 spot which is a position soumya competes for. Sabbir as well over that WC period.

If you pick players you need to give them a certain amount of matches, youngsters in all countries these days tend to struggle and it often takes them 40+ matches to adjust to international level. Best is to give a player 3 straight series (maybe more depending on how many matches are in each series eg for BD with tests 2-3 series just isn’t enough).

And don’t forget BD in general play less matches so we can’t compare a BD youngster who’s been around the team for 3 years with a youngster from Australia or South Africa or india who’s been around those teams for 3 years because more than likely those youngsters will have played 10-20 more matches (possibly even more) than the BD youngsters.

BCB really need to start building a good solid schedule of matches, tamim, shakib, mushy, riyad should’ve played over 100 test matches by now and at least 300-400 ODIs. Mominul should’ve played close to 50 tests by now.

Obviously no spot is ever guaranteed but if players go out there soo nervous they can barely play then there is a problem, course it’s part and parcel of this profession so players need to learn to deal with that pressure.

What’s shanto up to? He was just in WI so on the cusp of the national playing xi but he doesn’t get a game for the A team when he’s in the squad? If he is in Ireland and he is fit then there is no reason why he shouldn’t be in those playing xi’s
Old August 6, 2018, 12:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Btw happy to be proved wrong with liton today, good on the young man, I’ve been a backer of him for a long time so good to see him finally play a meaningful t20 innings.
Old August 6, 2018, 12:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Btw happy to be proved wrong with liton today, good on the young man, I’ve been a backer of him for a long time so good to see him finally play a meaningful t20 innings.
Thanks to his innings after a long time Bangladesh scored some runs in the first six overs in the t20Is. I hope he does well if he gets a chance to open in the next series.
Old August 6, 2018, 12:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
He seems to be good for the powerplay and that's it. He got 14 runs from 18 balls after the power-play. He isn't someone you can expect to put up more than 20-25 runs. We should definitely look for someone else for the ODI
Old August 6, 2018, 01:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

hahaha i made this comment before Liton's innings today. I feel like I am Yoda.
Old August 6, 2018, 01:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
He seems to be good for the powerplay and that's it. He got 14 runs from 18 balls after the power-play. He isn't someone you can expect to put up more than 20-25 runs. We should definitely look for someone else for the ODI
Did you not watch how the wickets were tumbling in the middle period of the game lol. What is he going to do, still go at a 200 sr? Or be a bit circumspect of the situation.

And besides he ended up with a 190 sr like LOL
Old August 6, 2018, 01:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
Nope. I would rather stick with Litton than play musical chairs with anamul, soumya.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Yeah I didn’t get to see any of the match or liton’s innings but a 190 strike rate scoring 60 runs give or take, well that’s a more than decent innings on numbers.
Old August 6, 2018, 03:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Liton did play a good innings but he is still 1 dimensional. Most of his shots came on 1 side and if you have seen him long enough you will know which I am talking about. He did do some good fielding apart from a nonsensical overthrow of 5 runs.

Out of the rotten maal out there for batsman, Liton seems to be more useful than Anamul and Sarkar. I hope batting consultant works on this.