facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 17, 2006, 03:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Javed Omar

I'm sure his fans will use this innings as another example of how he provides 'solidity' to the top order and holds the top of the innings together.

But really, we are so much better off getting rid of this guy!

If 28 from 53 balls against Kenya is what we are expecting from one of our openers, can Nafis Iqbal not do that?

Old March 17, 2006, 03:31 AM

by the sound of the commentators droning on in Channel-i, I'd say they disagree with you completely. I have no comment. I'm disappointed with him, but not sure if I'd write him off.
Old March 17, 2006, 03:42 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

He's the new Chacha, in terms of uselessness.
Old March 17, 2006, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ammark
by the sound of the commentators droning on in Channel-i, I'd say they disagree with you completely. I have no comment. I'm disappointed with him, but not sure if I'd write him off.
Yeah Roqibul loves Javed!

In England, Nafis was playing away from his body and getting out a lot by poking at balls outside the off-stump. But now that he has tightened up his game, and given that we are now playing in our own conditions, this I feel is the time to get him back into the ODI team and let him settle against Kenya before we take on Australia.

Nafis, Rajin, someone else, I dont really care who! My point is, I dont see what exactly Javed is bringing to our team that someone like Nafis or Rajin is incapable of! On the other hand, those guys can shift a couple of gears if they need to, whereas Javed is totally incapable of doing that!

In the over before the one he got out in, Javed charged down the pitch to a spinner and yorked himself. Now what class of an international batsman does that? I have seen batsman charge down the track in the slog overs to pace bowlers and york themselves, that can happen. But who charges down to a spinner in the middle overs and yorks themselves? Firstly, he premeditated the charge, and secondly, when he saw that the ball was going to be in the slot anyway, he didnt have the time to stay where he was! Once he committed himself, he had to come forward. This guy is just not quck enough at this level.

And then in the next over, he charges down to a short-pitched delivery, doesnt have the time to pull it, and basically spoons it to cover! Sigh!

Anyway, thank god he got out, otherwise we'd have never reached 300!
Old March 17, 2006, 06:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

everyone started cheering when javed omar got out. i wonder if he watched his own batting footage
Old March 17, 2006, 06:21 AM
Cricket Legend

I think this is the chance to get Tamim or Rokon to bully this weak kenyan bowling. But Rajin/ Nafis is still better than Javed. If he can not score againest Kenya than how could he score againest Aussi. It is better to make Rajin/NI to get accostameted againest weak attack than playing againest aussi
Old March 17, 2006, 06:27 AM
Cricket Guru

rokon had enough chances and the last thing we need another under19 cricketer in the team. nafees is the best option for a opener and he looked more solid against sri lanka

Edited on, March 17, 2006, 11:30 AM GMT, by sovik.
Old March 17, 2006, 06:42 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

"If 28 from 53 balls against Kenya is what we are expecting from one of our openers, can Nafis Iqbal not do that?" - Exactly.
Old March 17, 2006, 06:49 AM
Cricket Guru

at least he can make 26 from 26
Old March 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by sovik
partnership is the key....they had 92 run partnertship......which is more imporatant than scoring run a ball innings. you have to judge as a team sometime.

I can read the fustration......personally i also feel Nafis Iqbal can be included to open with Shahriar.....but Nafis has not done that great yet also to drop Golla and play him. so, we have to tollerate Golla for some time i feel....
Old March 17, 2006, 06:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: mortaza and saqibul

javed omar belim golla is our best opener ever.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:01 AM
BC Editorial Team

we were all rejoicing when 3rd ump gave him out. The strokeless wonder was driving us nuts. And then there was Bashar's captaincy - but I digress ...
Old March 17, 2006, 07:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

as a omar fan after today BD performance omar does not deserve to be in the team. if BD consistenly score 250 against not just ZIM or KEN but SRI , PAK, IND etc... he should stick to being a test opener. bUT until BD become more consistent batting wise he should stay.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by yaseer
Quote:
partnership is the key....they had 92 run partnertship......which is more imporatant than scoring run a ball innings. you have to judge as a team sometime.

I can read the fustration......personally i also feel Nafis Iqbal can be included to open with Shahriar.....but Nafis has not done that great yet also to drop Golla and play him. so, we have to tollerate Golla for some time i feel....
I fully agree with Yaseer.... partnership was important. Nafees was playing well and run rate was never not really very low. So there was no such hurry at that moment. Only because of that 92 Aftab and Co. manage to accelerate in later stage.

I am not really sure about Nfis can successfullt replace JO right at this moment. Lot of people came in the past and faded away but JO survived not only because he got good backing......
Old March 17, 2006, 07:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by istiak
Lot of people came in the past and faded away but JO survived not only because he got good backing......
ya...that is a good point.....we tried lots before but still JO is the man who survived and i am sure he did not survive with backing but with some performance.

I know he is still not up to mark......but we have no option right now but to stick with him

As long as he is producing openning partenships like 92 runs from 20 overs........we should not comlain.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:56 AM
Test Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by istiak
Quote:
Originally posted by yaseer
Quote:
Lot of people came in the past and faded away but JO survived not only because he got good backing......
If some of you stayed back till the presentation ceremony you could see Athar (the great supporter/selector of everything his age in the team) asked the MoM Shahriar Nafees about his feeling of playing with a senior partner being a young player in the opening. Now, this question was irrelevant in the MoM award, because many other relevant questions could have been asked. SN sensed the idea behind it and supported Athar saying that having a senior partner in the opening really helps him get a big score.
You be the judge. Please watch the video footage of the presentation and what Athar asked him.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
I'm sure his fans will use this innings as another example of how he provides 'solidity' to the top order and holds the top of the innings together.

But really, we are so much better off getting rid of this guy!

If 28 from 53 balls against Kenya is what we are expecting from one of our openers, can Nafis Iqbal not do that?
JO ODI Avg is better then your Ash or HB , do I need to say any more?
Old March 17, 2006, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

When the whole team is infected with coming in and going out of the crease, then you guys can feel what can JO do. So, come on guys, don't make anymore argument and stick with JO.

He should be there untill we've got a good replacement, consistent and capable of keeping one end intact.

I'm not saying he's consistent but he can keep one end intact when the infection starts.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Anyway, thank god he got out, otherwise we'd have never reached 300!
SL series didn't teach us anything?

On the 3rd ODI what was the SL score at 25 overs? Did they manage to 300+?

JO is not suited for ODI, I understand that but the replacement can't stay for 5 mins when placed there against stronger competition. One don't have to go further to notice that, SL 1st ODI ring a bell?
Old March 17, 2006, 08:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

lets leave selection up to the selectors. i firmly believe like many others here that the 92 run first wicket stand was crucial in setting us up. Yes.. he may have been slow in scoring.. but remember Nafees at the other end was scoring run a ball and we were cruising along at around 4.5 RPO. thats a great score for a platform.

On a similar note.. i was watching this game between Pak v NZ .. of abt 4-5 years .. Imran Nazir and Afridi came out to bat ... and at one point.. Nazir was 70*(40) while Afridi was 4*(20)!!!!

do u c what i'm hinting at... Afridi realized the value of sticking in there and curbing his instincts...
JO doesnt have that instinct.. he'll do fine for now...
Old March 17, 2006, 08:36 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I watch the whole partnership, and it was painful to watch JO stuck at 20 for over 20 balls, and his unability to take singles was aparant once again. The real question comes, would SN would be able to go for everything if JO was not doing the sheet anchore? I'm not sure either way, so I'll refrain myself from commenting about whether JO should be there or not.

SN, if you have noticed, played quite a few lofted shots. He went for his trademark offside wide balls at least twice and missed in both occations. Because he scored a carreer best 91, we are forgetting about that. But I think we need to talk about it as well.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Somehow SN strikes me as a batsman who does well during the middle overs. He can rotate the strike quite easily when the field is spread and is quite a powerfull hitter of the ball, thus finding occasional boundaries. However, he seems to be a little uncomfortable against faster bowlers at the start of an innings. Kenyan opening bowlers weren't quick enough to challenge him.. but others surely will as they have done in the past.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ammark
well ottanto dukkhojonok. atleast he could have added a couple more runs to his tally easily by taking some more singles and not just waiting the over to end so that nafees can take all the risk and he can just relax at the other end. yes i know someone has to hold one end. but that does not mean that just keep on blocking boll after boll when he can just atleast try taking some singles. i dont know if he will ever learn this.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by nayef
lets leave selection up to the selectors. i firmly believe like many others here that the 92 run first wicket stand was crucial in setting us up. Yes.. he may have been slow in scoring.. but remember Nafees at the other end was scoring run a ball and we were cruising along at around 4.5 RPO. thats a great score for a platform.

On a similar note.. i was watching this game between Pak v NZ .. of abt 4-5 years .. Imran Nazir and Afridi came out to bat ... and at one point.. Nazir was 70*(40) while Afridi was 4*(20)!!!!

do u c what i'm hinting at... Afridi realized the value of sticking in there and curbing his instincts...
JO doesnt have that instinct.. he'll do fine for now...
well that was a good example. but also not a valid one. because afridi sometime also takes the role of hard hitting. but does javed ever take that role? or does he just stand at the other end like a babu shaheb and let the other batsman take all the risk and at the end of the game he becomes the batsman of carrying the bat through the innings. but do we actually want that kind of batting? can he atleast not take a couple more singles and not just get stuck after scroing 20-25 runs thinking that he has done his part.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I think JO is the most unfortunate player of BD cricket. Everybody is annoyed of him despite all of his efforts. The irony is you do not like but you cannot replace him right at the moment because most of the attempts to replace him was disasterous and proved to wrong.

Just accept him in the team and hope he will do fine in coming days.