facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2010 (Archive)

Old June 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Old June 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

spain almost there
Old June 29, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cricket Savant

spain wins .......

congratz
Old June 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
Cricket Savant

THE KNOCK OUT STAGE (LATEST)

ROUND OF 16 QUARTER FINALS SEMI FINALS FINAL
26 June, Port Elizabeth, 14:00                            
49 URUGUAY 2                              
SOUTH KOREA 1   2 July, Johannesburg, 18:30                  
          58 URUGUAY                      
26 June, Rustenburg, 18:30   GHANA                      
50 USA 1                              
GHANA 2             6 July, Cape Town, 18:30        
                    61 Winner 58            
28 June, Durban, 14:00             Winner 57            
53 NETHERLANDS 2                              
SLOVAKIA 1   2 July, Port Elizabeth, 14:00                  
          57 NETHERLANDS                      
28 June, Johannesburg, 18:30   BRAZIL                      
54 BRAZIL 3                              
CHILE 0                       11 July, Johannesburg, 18:30
                              64 Winner 61  
27 June, Johannesburg, 18:30                       Winner 62  
52 ARGENTINA 3                              
MEXICO 1   3 July, Cape Town, 14:00                  
          59 ARGENTINA                      
27 June, Bloemfontein, 14:00   GERMANY                      
51 GERMANY 4                              
ENGLAND 1             7 July, Durban, 18:30        
                    62 Winner 59            
29 June, Pretoria, 14:00             Winner 60            
55 PARAGUAY 0                         3RD PLACE
JAPAN 0   3 July, Johannesburg, 18:30            
 Paraguay wins 5-3 penalties   60 PARAGUAY                      
29 June, Cape Town, 18:30   SPAIN               10 July, Cape Town, 18:30
56 SPAIN 1                         63 Loser 61  
PORTUGAL 0                         Loser 62  

(* All times are GMT)
Old June 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cricket Savant

every quarter final represents a South American Team .....
Old June 29, 2010, 03:33 PM
Cricket Savant

BBC Sport's Chris Bevan

"Impressive stuff by the Spanish, who had to be patient to wait for their chance against Portugal but never looked back once they had taken the lead. Fernando Torres may be out of sorts but David Villa cannot stop scoring and Spain are looking in ominous form as they move into the last eight. It might have been a different story had Portugal taken one of their first-half chances but ultimately they were second best to their Iberian neighbours on the night.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:47 PM
Street Cricketer

Portugal were undone due to their stupid bunker tactics.
Old June 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Cricket Savant

World Cup quarter-finals:

Netherland v Brazil
Uruguay v Ghana
Germany v Argentina
Paraguay v Spai
Old June 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

wonder what the odds are of having a Ghana vs Paraguay final?
Old June 29, 2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful♥Raqibul foreve

A South American team is going to win this time according to fifa, if you look at it, it has always been that way, once an European nation and once a South American, I say this is Brazil's 6th time, Argentina will crumble against Germany and a repeat of 2002 WC.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Capdevila was pathetic, the way he collapsed, got up, and then collapsed as soon as he saw the referee coming was a piece of cheating similar to Rivaldo's in 2002.
Why did he feel the need to cheat when his team was winning with 2 minutes to go ?
Old June 30, 2010, 01:36 AM
Cricket Savant

two days of rests before the quarter finals
Old June 30, 2010, 03:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Offstump vai, Pls open seperate thread for Quarter final stages.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old June 30, 2010, 04:38 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ronaldo

@Offstump: different sports articles and daily news sports channels along with a variety of football and soccer forums have cited detailed descriptions of the teams who has qualified for the Quarter Finals. I was recalling predictions of the sports analysts who have been saying that France, England, Spain and Brazil will qualify for quarter finals among major giants. Although they are 50% successful in their comments yet its really good to see other teams who qualified for the quarter finals. I predict that Spain, Brazil, Uruguay and Germany will qualify for the next stage. Let’s see now.
Old July 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Offstump vai, Pls open seperate thread for Quarter final stages.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
i think we can continue here upto semi final and 3rd place playoff

then may be one last thread for the grand final.

or do u ppl think we should have separate for quartes semi and then finals

i expect some other members give some feedback. then i may take action if necessary. but should be soon as less than 22 hoours left for the games
Old July 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
i think we can continue here upto semi final and 3rd place playoff

then may be one last thread for the grand final.

or do u ppl think we should have separate for quartes semi and then finals

i expect some other members give some feedback. then i may take action if necessary. but should be soon as less than 22 hoours left for the games
above idea is good I think. One last thread for Grand Finale!!
Old July 1, 2010, 01:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Default Brazil vs Netherland & Ghana vs Urugue

I am supporting Netherland and Ghana though I will not be disappoint if Urugue win.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Netherland and Uruguya are my fav tomorrow!
Old July 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
I am supporting Netherland and Ghana though I will not be disappoint if Urugue win.
me going with u too. i actually want to see a NEW WC champion.

thats why i want prev WC's to be eliminated. so far england, italy and france gone. today i wish Uruguay and Brazil are Out.

have to wait until semi for both Germany and Argentina to be Out.

spain vs (netherland vs ghana) final

i will be happy
Old July 1, 2010, 11:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Netherlands v Brazil

Netherlands take on the favourites

Brazil and Netherlands supplied the great World Cup teams of the 70s but, while Brazil clinched their third world title at the start of the decade, Netherlands had to settle for two runners-up spots in the tournaments that followed.

Even with Pele, Garrincha, Jairzinho and co long gone, Brazil have since added two more World Cups to their collection, but the Dutch have not since played in a final.

If Bert van Marwijk's side are to finally end their wait for the trophy, they must overcome Dunga's Brazil, a side marrying skill with hard work and who look justified as the favourites.

Netherlands will need to improve on their most recent showings - a tepid dead rubber against Cameroon and a defensively unconvincing 2-1 win over Slovakia - but they have an attack capable of hurting any side. Arjen Robben, who nearly missed out on the tournament through injury, has been exceptional in his limited playing time to date, while Wesley Sneijder is excelling after a hugely successful year with Inter Milan. Dirk Kuyt has also made a positive contribution and, at his best, Robin van Persie is one of the game's leading strikers. From the bench, Eljero Elia offers another potent threat.

Brazil are perhaps at their best against attacking sides but, having again been accused of being one-dimensional after the 2-1 win over North Korea, they have since demonstrated greater adaptability. Against Chile, Juan thumped home a header from a set-piece before Luis Fabiano and Robinho completed the scoring in more traditional fashion. Regardless of such improvements, though, this quarter-final looks like a game that will suit them.

"We know there is always this expectation that Brazil will be the winners but being the favourite does not allow you to win the World Cup,"Dunga said. "Some people doubted that we would perform but as we go along that confidence is growing and growing and we hope to make it to the final."

Netherlands player to watch: Wesley Sneijder.
The creative heart of the Dutch team, Sneijder has shown exceptional craft and vision in supplying Arjen Robben in the last two matches. He enjoyed a hugely successful campaign at club level and he appears desperate to prove a point following his release from Real Madrid last summer.

Brazil player to watch: Robinho. Having been selected in a weakened Manchester City side against Scunthorpe at Glanford Park in January, few could have predicted Robinho's turnaround in fortunes. A loan spell at Santos provided him with regular football and restored his confidence, and he is again starting to look like the player who cost £32.5 million two years ago. His man-of-the-match performance against Chile was no flash in the pan, and he is likely to test the Dutch defence to its limits.

Key battle: Arjen Robben v Michel Bastos. Robben had looked extremely doubtful for the finals after suffering a hamstring injury in a warm-up game, but he was superb when he returned in the final group game against Cameroon and continued to shine against Slovakia. Against Michel Bastos, who plays as an attacking midfielder for Lyon, he will be confident of getting in behind the defence and causing endless problems.

Trivia: Falcons are used at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium to keep pigeons and small animals away.

Stats: Netherlands and Brazil have met three times in the World Cup, with one win apiece and one draw.

Odds:
Netherlands (4.00), the draw (3.30) and Brazil (2.00) with Bet365. A 1-0 win for Netherlands will give you odds of 10.00.

Prediction: While Netherlands look very capable of scoring goals, their defence is a concern and Dunga's Brazil tend to be at their best when soaking up pressure and breaking quickly. While it should be a hard-fought contest, Brazil look by far the most likely to progress.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Uruguay v Ghana

Ghana face tough Uruguay test

Ghana will go into Friday's semi-final against Uruguay with continental advantage and the support of much of Africa, but the loss of several key players in the midfield could make this their toughest match to date.

Key man Michael Essien was ruled out long before the tournament started, but the performances of Andre Ayew and Kevin-Prince Boateng have compensated and Ghana have now matched the achievements of Cameroon and Senegal in reaching the quarter-finals.

Yet Marseille winger Ayew - the son of Ghana legend Abedi Pele - will be suspended after an unfortunate booking. Named man of the match against USA, team-mate John Pantsil said he proved "he could carry the whole side on his shoulders", and he supplied Asamoah Gyan for the winning goal.

German-born midfielder Boateng, who became eligible for Ghana just a month before the finals, has also proved hugely important, offering skill, creativity and goals, yet he could be ruled out. Coach Milovan Rajevac said he was injured in the final group game against Germany and, while he was fit enough to open the scoring against USA, he had to be substituted in the 78th minute.

It is fortunate that Inter Milan's Sulley Muntari, who was nearly axed after a dressing room bust-up, was allowed to remain with the squad and should be fresh to come in. A knock for Gyan, who has scored three of Ghana's four goals in South Africa, is a further concern, but it seems he is set to feature.

Uruguay, meanwhile, have conceded just one goal so far in South Africa, but their defensive solidity could be hindered by an injury to centre back Diego Godin, who has been ruled out. Fortunately for Uruguay, more significant is the continued presence of strike duo Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez, who have contributed five goals between them already.

After struggling in qualification, boss Oscar Tabarez has said he is surprised to see Uruguay among the final eight this year, but he feels they can continue to defy the doubters. "Let's see how far we can go on this stage," he said. "We are not building castles in the air, but I don't see why we should be resigned to anything. We don't have to renounce anything before playing the matches."

Uruguay player to watch: Luis Suarez.
He scored 49 goals in 48 games for Ajax, and he has now found his goalscoring touch on the biggest stage. His goals have now seen off Mexico and South Korea already, and a clinical touch tends to make all the difference at the World Cup.

Ghana player to watch: Asamoah Gyan. Having scored both the country's group stage goals from the penalty spot, Gyan fired home in open play to secure victory against USA. While there is plenty of talent in midfield, options in attack have been a problem for Ghana, so it is essential Gyan is fit and firing if they are to progress, particularly given the doubts over Boateng and Ayew.

Key battle: Diego Forlan v Richard Kingson.
While few expected Wigan's third-choice goalkeeper to become a hero in South Africa, Kingson excelled against USA and he may need to turn in a repeat performance given Uruguay's firepower. Forlan has not scored since his brace against South Africa, but he remains a real danger.

Trivia: If Ghana win, they will become the first African team to reach the semi-finals of a World Cup.

Stats: Ghana had gone 433 minutes without scoring in open play before Kevin-Prince Boateng fired home against USA. Uruguay had gone 390 minutes without conceding before Lee Chung-Yong scored for South Korea.

Odds: Uruguay (2.10), the draw (3.10) and Ghana (4.00) with Bet365. You can get 15.00 on Luis Suarez to score the only goal of the game for Uruguay.

Prediction: Ghana should be able to rely on the support of the majority, but Uruguay have progressed by keeping things tight while taking their chances. They were on the back foot for long periods against South Korea but rarely allowed them any clear-cut opportunities, and a narrow Uruguay victory looks the most likely outcome here.
Old July 2, 2010, 04:10 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Can't wait to watch the match between Holland vs Brazil & Argentina vs Germany....
Old July 2, 2010, 06:33 AM
Cricket Savant

150 mins left .....

damn .... i cant watch the BRA vs NED game in my room, in my own TV with my laptop beside me.

i have to go to my cousins wedding. i will have to find out a TV there.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:36 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Q-finals thread