facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Did you know?

Post information, knowledge or facts that are unique, unusual, interesting, thought provoking, insightful, enthralling, wondrous... you get the point. Use the formatting text show below, so that we can visually separate the "Did you know" facts from regular response posts while reading this thread. Try to keep the facts short and to the point. Cite references where applicable.

Use the following formatting to keep consistent look of all "did you know" posts:
Quote:
[color=green][size=3][i]Did you know...[/i]
[b]Put title of you topic here[/b][/size][/color]
Put details of your topic here
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Last edited by Nasif; July 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM..
Old July 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Did you know...
That mantis shrimp has 12 color photoreceptors in its eye?

While listening to RadioLab couple of days ago, I learned that of all known species mantis shrimp has the highest number of photoreceptors, a total of 16; of which 12 are for color. Remember high-school biology? If not, well, we only have 3 color receptor cells (RGB cones). Think of number of colors, shades and tones that these tiny creatures could see! Also, while thinking about this shrimp, know that when you throw a red and a green ball at your dog, it can't see any difference; only sees two green balls, i.e dogs have only green and blue (GB) cones. If you want to know the possible reasons for such depth in mantis' eye, check out Wiki entry on this.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old July 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Did you know...
Sarcasm Green

Did you know green appears to be the same color as the sarcasm green? Read more
Old July 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator

^^^ lol, green is soft on eyes. Goes well with "sarcasm". Most members don't know I guess. Thats a good one.

Green Goblin... from spiderman; he is sarcastic at times
Old July 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Did you know...
That you can land on the last read position in a thread with 1 click?

If you click on the icon: that appears just left off of thread title, forum will take you to the first post since your last login.
Old August 2, 2012, 04:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Did You Know?

"Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries"

Good luck having iftar with lemon juices.
Old August 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav

Did You Know?

"Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries"

Good luck having iftar with lemon juices.
Lol what??? That can't be right! My mom was pissed when I told her about this.

Edit: Okay maybe if you compare one lemon with one strawberry, but not per unit mass.. lol!
Old August 2, 2012, 04:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Did You Know?

Quote:
Facts on Human Eye
Quote:
* An average person blinks 12 times per minute – about 10,000 blinks/day.
* Human eyes are composed of more than 2 million working parts.
* Our human eye is 576 mega pixel !!!
* Corneas are the only tissues that don't require blood.
* Human eyes can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
* The eyeball of a human weighs approximately 28 grams.
* Colour blindness is 10 times more common in males than females.
* The farthest object visible with the naked eye is the Andromeda galaxy, located an astonishing 2.6 million light-years from Earth.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
* Human eyes can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
Can someone explain this to me? What do they mean by "process" here? Do they mean how fast the retina transmits information to the brain? If so, I am assuming that they don't mean "binary digits" when they say "bits" - because that would be a pathetically low throughput (10 bits per second ... even an old 14.4kbps modem is more than a thousand times faster). A bit of googling (not in-depth investigation in any way) tells me that some research finds that the transmission speed is roughly 10 million bits per second (i.e. roughly the theoretical max speed of 10BASE-T ethernet)... which is 1 million times greater than what's mentioned above. So what unit of information are they referring to when they mean "bits" ... ? If it's just the common english word "bit" meaning "a small piece", then... well, that's a bit (-_-) vague, isn't it?
Old August 2, 2012, 10:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
Can someone explain this to me? What do they mean by "process" here? Do they mean how fast the retina transmits information to the brain? If so, I am assuming that they don't mean "binary digits" when they say "bits" - because that would be a pathetically low throughput (10 bits per second ... even an old 14.4kbps modem is more than a thousand times faster). A bit of googling (not in-depth investigation in any way) tells me that some research finds that the transmission speed is roughly 10 million bits per second (i.e. roughly the theoretical max speed of 10BASE-T ethernet)... which is 1 million times greater than what's mentioned above. So what unit of information are they referring to when they mean "bits" ... ? If it's just the common english word "bit" meaning "a small piece", then... well, that's a bit (-_-) vague, isn't it?
Well, that information did interest me too and i looked it up. I found this research from Upenn. It confirms that human eyes are indeed slower than an Ethernet in transmitting information, but however its still 10 million bits/s.(MB/s). I am impressed by that.

Quote:
The investigators calculate that the human retina can transmit data at roughly 10 million bits per second. By comparison, an Ethernet can transmit information between computers at speeds of 10 to 100 million bits per second.
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_...6/retinput.htm
Old August 2, 2012, 09:28 AM

^^ The only four celestial objects I can spot through the hazy night sky of Dhaka is venus, jupiter, Beteljeuse and Aldebaran. Other than that all else is usually blocked out my light, smog and clouds. Even Sirius and Orion's Belt cant be seen most days.

But I've seen MILLIONS of stars and the milky way with my naked eye, over regional Australia.... I wouldnt know which one Andromeda wouldve been.
Old August 2, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Didn't we have a similar thread couple of months ago?
Old August 2, 2012, 02:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Didn't we have a similar thread couple of months ago?
Hey, we have a mohila Murad bhai among us. Ain't that right Zeeshan bhai?
Old August 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

This is life-altering! I need to go to McDonald's to try this out...

(yeah, screw your formatting...)
Old August 4, 2012, 06:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Long live Mango and Mango people

Old August 8, 2012, 02:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Long live Mango and Mango people

Really? I mean i have only gained Chorbis after eating loads of them
Old August 8, 2012, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Are you sure aam is all you've been eating?
Old August 8, 2012, 03:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Are you sure aam is all you've been eating?
No, but i feel like mangoes did play its role on me gaining weights. Although I agree that its my never ending crave for sweets mostly
Old August 8, 2012, 07:32 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
How many you have been eating a day? 500?

J/K.

I don't think mango was the contributing factor. May be you would gain even more without eating them.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
How many you have been eating a day? 500?

J/K.

I don't think mango was the contributing factor. May be you would gain even more without eating them.
Mango has one of the highest amount of sugar content among all fruits. While I realize that natural sugar is better than processed sugar, but it's still sugar.

I've always downplayed sugar's role in my "med bhuri ki kori" shomoshsha. But lately I've been using this app to track what I'm eating. To my surprise, it's exactly sugar that I'm abusing, unknowingly. My max for the day is 32g when I'm not working out. And I've been having way more than 40g. I've cut down on sugar a lot, and have been changing my lifestyle, and it has generally worked out well in the last 2/3 months.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Did you know?...

Many people who read the word yawn or yawning begin to feel the urge to yawn. =P
Old August 7, 2012, 04:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Hillier Lake, The Unique Lake With Pink color In Australia

This unique Lake located above the Islands, Western Australia Recherce in the Kalbarri Region. Lake, this one’s not including Lake, the Lake has a water color with different lakes in General. Lake Hillier, a lake that has the color pink or pink is a remarkable natural wonders. The Lake is very beautiful if you look at the view from the top, let alone the Lake is also surrounded by eucalyptus trees that looked green. The Lake looks like fairyland was first discovered by a navigator in the United Kingdom named Matthew Flinders in 1802. Then Flinders was doing mountaineering. But after arriving at the top of a high enough he found the pink Lake. Until now no one has to know where the origin of the Lake to be pink. According to me it is a natural wonder, how do you think?

Amongst the only Three Pink Lakes of This universe one is at Senegal another is at California and this one at Australia. This Pink Lake is a salt lake in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. It lies about 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Esperance and is bounded to the East by the South Coast Highway.

The lake is not always pink in colour but the distinctive colour of the water when the lake is pink it is supposed that it is a result of the green alga Dunaliella salina, halobacterium Halobacteria cutirubrum, and or high concentration of brine shrimp. Once the lake water reaches a salinity level greater than that of sea water, the temperature is high enough and adequate light conditions are provided, the alga begins to accumulate the red pigment beta carotene. The pink halobacteria grow in the salt crust at the bottom of the lake and the colour of the lake is a result of the balance between D. salina and H. cutirubrum. But The Scientists are not Sure.

The lake has been identified by BirdLife International as an Important Bird Area (IBA) because it usually supports significant numbers of Hooded Plovers and sometimes over 1% of the world population of Banded Stilts.

Prior to salt production the lake's environment was investigated in the 1980s Table salt is produced in solar ponds at the eastern end of the lake. The company WA Salt supply produce water softening salt, coarse salt and sheepskin salt at the Esperance site. The salt is kiln dried, crushed and bagged at the site before being distributed.

Courtesy: Miracle of imagination(FB)
Old August 8, 2012, 02:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd

Hillier Lake, The Unique Lake With Pink color In Australia

This unique Lake located above the Islands, Western Australia Recherce in the Kalbarri Region. Lake, this one’s not including Lake, the Lake has a water color with different lakes in General. Lake Hillier, a lake that has the color pink or pink is a remarkable natural wonders. The Lake is very beautiful if you look at the view from the top, let alone the Lake is also surrounded by eucalyptus trees that looked green. The Lake looks like fairyland was first discovered by a navigator in the United Kingdom named Matthew Flinders in 1802. Then Flinders was doing mountaineering. But after arriving at the top of a high enough he found the pink Lake. Until now no one has to know where the origin of the Lake to be pink. According to me it is a natural wonder, how do you think?

Amongst the only Three Pink Lakes of This universe one is at Senegal another is at California and this one at Australia. This Pink Lake is a salt lake in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. It lies about 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Esperance and is bounded to the East by the South Coast Highway.

The lake is not always pink in colour but the distinctive colour of the water when the lake is pink it is supposed that it is a result of the green alga Dunaliella salina, halobacterium Halobacteria cutirubrum, and or high concentration of brine shrimp. Once the lake water reaches a salinity level greater than that of sea water, the temperature is high enough and adequate light conditions are provided, the alga begins to accumulate the red pigment beta carotene. The pink halobacteria grow in the salt crust at the bottom of the lake and the colour of the lake is a result of the balance between D. salina and H. cutirubrum. But The Scientists are not Sure.

The lake has been identified by BirdLife International as an Important Bird Area (IBA) because it usually supports significant numbers of Hooded Plovers and sometimes over 1% of the world population of Banded Stilts.

Prior to salt production the lake's environment was investigated in the 1980s Table salt is produced in solar ponds at the eastern end of the lake. The company WA Salt supply produce water softening salt, coarse salt and sheepskin salt at the Esperance site. The salt is kiln dried, crushed and bagged at the site before being distributed.

Courtesy: Miracle of imagination(FB)
Thats really cool man.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Fasting is good for the brain.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9743041.stm

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxiACuQd--U
Old August 14, 2012, 02:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Tht was Amazing Naimul Harddrive bhai.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles