facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 15, 2018, 08:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar
Default What is the purpose of intl cricket?

It’s a very simple question but an important one. Explain to me like I’m 5 since I’m quite dim in the head.

What is the purpose of these endless tours and meaningless tournaments? I’ve been watching these since childhood. Other than the World Cup every 4 years, not really sure who won what when they win.

There’s not even a clearly defined season. There’s no end of season playoffs. No championships at year end. No cricketer of the year/ MVP.

What do you win if you are #1 in the ODI/ test/T20 rankings? What difference does it make if you jump from #8 to #5? Why does it never reset?

Other than a worthless trophy, is there any value to winning a tri nations cup? A “world” T20?A nidihas Cup? An “Asia” Cup? Polar ice cream cup?

Why do some teams play hundreds of matches more if there is only 8 teams? Shouldn’t they all get the same number of games to determine a winner.. seasonally? Annually? End of current FTP?

Other than being a traveling circus, why are they even overseas?

I guess what I’m asking is what is the point of all this?

... and if you can’t answer it 100% I’m sure the players can’t answer it either.

Old July 15, 2018, 10:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Why not just give everyone test status, it's a dying format anyway
Old July 15, 2018, 11:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

It's a very simple answer to your very simple question: to generate revenue for the boards. That's all it is.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:36 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I was expecting some radical answers. Disappointed.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Its the pinnacle of the sport, simple as that.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:15 AM
Test Cricketer

You are right .. its pointless.

Although my reason for losing interest in cricket is something else.
I am a traditionalist. I enjoyed cricket and had more fun watching and playing the game when there was even competition between bat and ball.

I absolutely hate (yes hate) the small boundaries, the thick bats , the lighter white balls and artificial commentary dictated by sponsors.

For me it was more fun watching grafters like Steve waugh and Mianded score singles than the dilscoops and edged sixers.

When you are looking at a players stat, you have to now look as to which era he played the game. For example, if a bowlers stat showed that he conceeded 5 RPO in ODI's back in the 90's than he is a terrible bowler. The same stat now would make him an excellent bowler.

I know records are meant to be broken. But if someone breaks Bradman's Average score in test, I would still consider Bradman a better bat even though he scored majority of his runs against England (only few teams played the game than).

Finally I know why ICC did what they did. Their intention was to globalize the game. May be they are successful in their endeavor. May be the younger generation loves the new cricket. It is just that they managed to loose a few of the traditional cricket fans like myself.

I know some people stopped watching the game because "life happened" but I stopped at an era when Bangladesh has been really successful because cricket has evolved into something else that I do not recognize anymore.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

So we can bash Indians when we beat them.

Slaughter Pakistanis when we crash them.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

"lack of context". I think that's what you are referring to. I also don't care about any other tours if BD is not playing. I believe its the same for other countries and their fan as well.

That's why I am excited about the --

1. Test Championship

Quote:
The 2019–21 ICC World Test Championship will be the inaugural edition of the ICC World Test Championship of Test cricket.It will start in July 2019 and finish with a final, scheduled to take place in June 2021. It will feature nine of the twelve Test playing nations.
Read this FAQ - http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...t-championship

2. ICC ODI League

Quote:
2020–22 ICC ODI League is scheduled to be the inaugural edition of the thirteen-team One Day International (ODI) league. The league will last from May 2020 to May 2022 and will serve as part of the qualification process for the 2023 Cricket World Cup. Twelve Full members of the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the Netherlands, who won the 2015–17 ICC World Cricket League Championship, will participate in the tournament. Each team will play against eight of the twelve opponents, four at home and four away. Each series will consist of three ODIs.
These two leagues will give a lot of context to the meaningful series. Plus a ODI WC every 4 years and T20 every 2 years. Things will become interesting.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Default What is the purpose of intl cricket?

a. So that I can increase my post counts in BC.
b. So that I can learn, watch and write all about Women's cricket.
Old July 16, 2018, 12:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
You are right .. its pointless.

Although my reason for losing interest in cricket is something else.
I am a traditionalist. I enjoyed cricket and had more fun watching and playing the game when there was even competition between bat and ball.

I absolutely hate (yes hate) the small boundaries, the thick bats , the lighter white balls and artificial commentary dictated by sponsors.

For me it was more fun watching grafters like Steve waugh and Mianded score singles than the dilscoops and edged sixers.

When you are looking at a players stat, you have to now look as to which era he played the game. For example, if a bowlers stat showed that he conceeded 5 RPO in ODI's back in the 90's than he is a terrible bowler. The same stat now would make him an excellent bowler.

I know records are meant to be broken. But if someone breaks Bradman's Average score in test, I would still consider Bradman a better bat even though he scored majority of his runs against England (only few teams played the game than).

Finally I know why ICC did what they did. Their intention was to globalize the game. May be they are successful in their endeavor. May be the younger generation loves the new cricket. It is just that they managed to loose a few of the traditional cricket fans like myself.

I know some people stopped watching the game because "life happened" but I stopped at an era when Bangladesh has been really successful because cricket has evolved into something else that I do not recognize anymore.
Good points. Similar thoughts to mine, more or less. But I haven't given up following the game entirely, I do when time permits.