facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 18, 2004, 09:49 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Need a temporary captain

Today's papers have reported that the board is thinking about having an operation on Habibul Bashar's finger so that he can be fully fit for the 4 home series starting from against New Zealand this October.

If Bashar is operated on, then he will surely miss the ICC Champions Trophy.

In view of this recent report, I think we need to look for a temporary captain just to lead the side in the 2 ODIs in the Champions Trophy and the practice matches before that.

Normally, the vice captain gets the job to do the captain if the captain is injured or is unable to lead the side for some reason. Rajin Saleh was our vice captain for a few tournaments and series. So does he get the job?

In my opinion, Rajin is far too young even to do a temporary job, besides his recent batting form was not so great in the Asia Cup. Usually, the issue of the vice captain is not taken as seriously because the role of vice captain is not so huge, generally speaking.

However, the current situation (of Bangladesh) requires that we need an experienced guy to lead the side, as there is the matter of pride in it - we seriously do not want to lose to Scotland and Ireland and USA just because of an inexperienced and a young captain.

My suggestion is to appoint Khaled Mahmud as the captain - just for the coming One Day matches. He was the captain recently, and the biggest issue is that he was not handed a resignation to his captaincy because of his poor job as the captain or because of his performance as the captain (particularly) in the ODIs.

In fact, there was a huge debate before Habibul Bashar's appointing captaincy that Khaled Mahmud be the ODI captain and Habibul Bashar to be the Test captain. But since appointing 2 captains for the 2 forms of the game is a complicated issue, so it was not put into practice.

And its not like that Khaled Mahmud is going to be dropped or that his performance is going down very recently - he is still a valuable member of the BD ODI side as he was during his captaincy tenure. However, in arguing for him, I am totally ignoring the issue of how he was treated by his team mates after the England tour and before the Zimbabwe - at a point of time where he was not announced to be not the captain anymore.

The only other choice that I see to be the perfect candidate for being the temporary captain of the side is Javed Omar. Because surely, Khaled Mashud is not going to be handed over the captaincy, not after the way he was forced to resign.