facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Lord's for memory, guts in Manchester- Tamim Iqbal

Before Tamim Iqbal, a procession of wickets was guaranteed. But for the last two years, Bangladesh have been given a good start with the bat. This year, in particular, the left-hander has scored 837 runs nearly at an average of 60 in Tests and some more in ODIs. More than the runs, Tamim has added a much-needed stability. The Daily Star Sport's Mohammad Isam met him yesterday at the team hotel.

Daily Star Sport (DSS): How has the progress been in the series so far?
Tamim Iqbal (TI): I'm quite happy. I wanted to get back to the rhythm I had before my injury so in the first match, I tried to stay at the crease as long as possible without focusing on the runs. I was batting comfortably but I got a bad decision; these things happen. The last game could have been a bigger innings but it wasn't to be. I was stroking the ball quite well until I got out.

DSS: How much have you recovered from the wrist injury?
TI: By God's grace, there is no problem now. I played for a year with the injury so when I batted for a while, my hand would go weak. But now I'm fine.

DSS: In terms of Test cricket, 2010 has been a great year for you…
TI: It has been great, to be honest. There were some innings like 85 and 86 against England at home and if I hadn't been run out on 103 at Lord's and turned those into bigger scores, it would have been a much special year. But yes, in terms of Test cricket, it has been my best year so far.

DSS: What was your favourite innings this year?
TI: In terms of memory, it was Lord's. I heard about the place and its history from my father and the moment I went inside the dressing-room I looked at the honours board and the balcony. Pete (the Lord's dressing-room attendant) told me that I would get a hundred after I made 53 in the first innings. When I reached 97, I was as nervous as I was in my debut game. But I had planned the celebration when I was in the 80s (laughs). That hundred made me very happy.

But if you consider from a batting point of view, it has to be the one at Old Trafford as it is the fastest and most difficult wicket in England. Funnily, Kevin Pietersen commented during my 86 in Chittagong that, "Cricket is so easy for you, right? You go to Old Trafford, then you will see." And I went on to get a hundred there, so it was really fantastic.

DSS: Did he tell you anything during the Manchester Test?
TI: I looked at him and I saw him clapping (after reaching the century).

DSS: Was anything said during your 151 against India?
TI: Nothing in particular, but I really didn't like Virender Sehwag's comments (calling Bangladesh 'ordinary'). A player like him should always encourage us, he's a role model. The hundred against India was also great because Junaed and I played well and we managed to take a slim lead.

DSS: Unlike Tests, you have not done that well in one-day cricket.
TI: Look at it this way: I have played almost the identical number of ODI and Test innings this year so you add five not-outs and my one-day average will go up to 33-35. I get few chances to stay not out but the times that I did get them, I wasn't capable to do so.

I always get a start, but you must remember that I was terrible in my first 20-25, playing just one or two good knocks. I think if I do very well in one series, I can get the average up to 33-34.

DSS: How did you manage to take it from 15 to 29?
TI: In the early days, I had only two shots -- dancing down the track and the cover drive. I was totally blocked on the leg-side. I worked a lot with Jamie (Siddons) and Salahuddin bhai and now, those weaknesses are turning into my strengths. I get runs now because I have more shots and I'm aware that I have to get better because in international cricket, they analyse and find everything out.

I practice very hard and I'm not worried if I don't perform. I am at peace with myself that I'm doing the right things in training.

DSS: How much has Jamie Siddons helped you?
TI: He has helped me quite a lot. He is the best batting coach I have ever come across. There's a reason why he scored so many runs, you know.

The most important thing is that, he gives the player a lot of time. I hardly ever hear the word 'no' from him.

DSS: You live near the Mirpur stadium, was that part of your plan?
TI: Look, a lot of the national cricketers can afford to live in Gulshan and Banani but I chose this area (moved here in December 2008) so that practice for me is just a 5-minute drive. If I had lived in Gulshan, for example, I would always think of the traffic when I wanted to have a hit during my off day.

DSS: Who has been your biggest influence in life?
TI: My father (Iqbal Khan). I cannot tell you in words how much he has supported me. It is sad that he never got to see my brother's (Nafis Iqbal) or my international career. But it was my father who, under 40 degrees heat, stood as umpire on a prosthetic leg, just to let me bat. I never scored much then, though.

I also thank my brother and uncle (former Bangladesh captain Akram Khan) wholeheartedly because of two things. My brother told me to play Premier League rather than First Division as my first season, and my uncle helped me a lot when Sonargaon Cricketers betrayed with me (in the 2006-07 season).

I was almost crying when I was left stranded near Eastern Plaza and when I called my uncle, he told me sign for Old DOHS. I somehow made it in the first eleven there and after scoring a lot, I scored a hundred against Scotland a few months before the 2007 World Cup.

DSS: You were a very popular among the DOHS players…
TI: I really loved that place, especially the Thursday biriyani. I usually get kicks to buy things and during that time, I bought a dog called Zaro. Funny thing is I was so scared of my own dog that I never got close to it (laughs). Whenever they left it in the open, I was the first one to run from it.

DSS: Did you ever try to imitate a player?
TI: I loved Sanath Jayasuriya a lot. He had these big forearms and I wanted to be like him, hit big sixes. I used to practice at home and imagine hitting those big ones.

DSS: Any thoughts on the World Cup?
TI: I want to play match-winning knocks for Bang-ladesh. Of course the target will be to reach the second phase and anything can happen from there.

I have been working hard, spending extra hours in the gym after the usual practice with the team and I want to be fit and strong for the tournament.

Link

Nice read Isam bhai. Keep up the good work.

haha KP didn't know who he was messing with.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:09 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

haha kp got pwaned...

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old December 4, 2010, 02:19 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

we are lucky to have players like him and shak. i feel sorry for lords and old traffod coz those tow stadiums wont get to see another cassic innings of tamim and shak., its their loss
Old December 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

I really liked the fact that he is staying in Mirpur so that he can reach the practice ground quickly. That shows a lot of commitment and passion for the game, given that he could easily have managed residence in one of the so-called "posh" neighborhoods.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Thanks Ajfar.

Nice interview. Traffic is really a big issue in Bangladesh.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Good job Isam. Some of your articles of late are very very good and enjoyable to read. For ex: I liked your ashraful opinionated piece.

anyways good interview.. u managed to get some gem out that were never spoken in other interview of tamim.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

even new journalists are performing better. LOL what was that other guy' name? Rabeed islam right. Move over buddy...
Old December 4, 2010, 02:26 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Nice read.

Few Qs: What's DOHS? Guessing it's a team. But which one? And which one is premier league?

And he was run out after the 100 at Lords? Don't think so.

Quote:
DSS: Was anything said during your 151 against India?
Don't like that Q. Why do we always assume that there was said something when our players score big? I mean sissy players like Rahim and Siddique needs name calling to get motivation, but not Tamim.

@ KP. I guess now you know who is Tamim?
Old December 4, 2010, 03:01 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Nice read.

Few Qs: What's DOHS? Guessing it's a team. But which one? And which one is premier league?
Yes, its the Dhaka premiere league team (Mohakhali old DOHS based)

Thanks for Sharing Ajfar vai
Old December 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Fantastic read.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Thabks for the link sy. I just love tamims attitude towards the game. He's just such a passionate player and has a lot of commitment and guts. I mean he lives so close to the ground just so he could practice more. Just thinking about him makes me realize how much he has grown. He couldn't play many shots and was such a raw batsman but now he's turned in to a world class batsman with a lot of shots in the book. Also he has the hunger to get better and better. Those are the kind of players we need in our team. Its scary how he's still only 21. He's got all the time in the world to improve. Not only has he improved his batting but he looks very well built which is very good. Fitness is always important for an international cricket player. Wish him luck.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old December 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Thanks Isam vai. Specially for asking the question about Siddons.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:41 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

HOHO...tamim in mirpur!!...mash was/is also in mirpur...actually mash lived just aside my friends flat..his was 2b and mash 2a...mirpur is the best!!..all mirpurians!..me also!!
Old December 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
HOHO...mirpur is the best!!..all mirpurians!..me also!!
Yeah. Especially your fellow Mirpurians at Mirpur zoo.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Yeah. Especially your fellow Mirpurians at Mirpur zoo.
Aww..cute!..u r welcome to come to our tiger cage from ur bandor cage
Old December 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Aww..cute!..u r welcome to come to our tiger cage from ur bandor cage
Sure. But I won't have any treat for you coz I spent my money buying treats for the bandors. Tough luck Zaro

Last edited by Habib; December 4, 2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old December 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

great read. Respect for tamim.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Awesome interview. You can always feel that swag in Tamim, even during a small interview. I love it.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Nice.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Thanks for the interview Isam! Just want to quote this.....
Quote:
DSS: How much has Jamie Siddons helped you?
TI: He has helped me quite a lot. He is the best batting coach I have ever come across. There's a reason why he scored so many runs, you know.

Old December 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Great interview Isam/Dizzy bhai! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Also good point out by Reverse Swing bhai on Siddons by TIK.
Old December 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Great Interview. Good to see tamim improve gradually, he is will be one of the best batsman ever. i hope he gets a chance to play county cricket soon,so that he can develop his game further.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

good stuff Isam! keep it up!
Old December 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

nice read. thanks for sharing !
Old December 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

nice article
I really hope Tamim concentrates harder on ODIs and improves his avrge.