facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 20, 2005, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Aftab Ahmed

I know he's been performing really bad lately. In fact, I never supported his inclusion in the team a couple of months ago - i thought he just wasn't ready to be in the international arena yet. True he did well in the U-19 side, but I still thought Nafis was more consistent than him, and that Aftab needed more nurturing before earning a place in the national squad.

However, since then he's played a couple of good innings and recorded the best bowling figures for a bangladeshi in a single ODI, but he's also been very inconsistent.

Having said that, I still think he should be given more opportunities. Dropping him now may destroy his confidence forever. I feel he should be given more chances even if he underperforms. If he still fails to perform, I'd be more than happy to relegate him to domestic cricket until he finds his form back.

What do you guys think?

Old January 20, 2005, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

The problem with BD selection is that you don't have to do anything extraordinary to get in. Most of our batsmen got in simply because they impressed the selectors with a good technique at an early age, but were never really deadly in the domestic leagues. Unless you are destroying opposition bowlers' careers in domestic cricket, you will not be able to do well in the international arena, which is a lot tougher.

However, among the current generation batsmen, I thought Nafis, Rajin and Ash are brilliant examples of people who actually did prove themselves before being included in the national team.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:17 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I like to see selectors give him more chanced now than later. He should play all 5 matches even he fails ... IMO he is better batsman than Nafees.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Yes! He is better than Nafis.India ar sathe beshirvag match a Aftab valo score korse so 1 ta Odi dekhe akhoni e oke bad dea thik hobe na.Ae series ta dekhae por bola jabe or bepare.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

I didn't get the opportunity to see Aftab's batting this Zim series. So don't know why he is not making runs. But I saw his batting against India. In my opinion he was one of the very few BD batsmen who has technique as good as Laxman. Just because of his talent he could play Indian bowlers comfortably compare to many other top BD batsmen. However looking at his face expression it seems like he is very nervous while batting.

I think he is a very good talent. We should not give up hope on him. He needs some proper guidance and I am very positive Aftab will be a consistent performer. Believe it or not I think he is one of best batsmen we have now.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

not only this series - i think he should be hung in there at least until the end of the English tour. thats where he scored a couple of runs last year remember?
Old January 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

The only thing he is doing right at the moment is his fielding. I agree with Asif completely. If you look at our history there are so many players who come to the scene with so much talent, underperform then are dropped forever! Shahriar Hossain, Mehrab Hossain, Tushar, are all examples. So dropping him would be a bad idea. I hope they dont select Shahriar Nafees Ahmed soon!
Old January 20, 2005, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
I hope they dont select Shahriar Nafees Ahmed soon!
I second it.
ODI Cricketer

Good Point.. Never saw it from that angle.
First Class Cricketer

for his own sake, aftab shouldn't have been played in thi match..he didn't make any runs in the series and his confidence wasn't high..and you knew that as soon as the gave away 5 dot balls he was going to do something foolish and gave away his wicket...and he did.
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

(responding to the jeesh post)

yes, me too. shariar nafees is probably even better and more consistent than aftab and nafis (maybe even ashraful - who knows?), and i dont want him in the scene earlier than necessary.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:31 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Rajin is playing well as a opener so no chance for Shahriar Nafis.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
I like to see selectors give him more chanced now than later. He should play all 5 matches even he fails ... IMO he is better batsman than Nafees.
I agree with some of u who said that Aftab should be given more chances to perform. He should definitely be played in all the remaining 4 ODIs as he can also contribute with bowling. As far as someone saying that he is a better batsman than Nafis is a complete hogwash. They both r very talented batsman and god knows what made u guys conclude that he is better...its too early to judge any of them. So far they both showed some potential but please stop judging batsmen too early for innings played on subcontinental flat tracks. Wait untill they perform away in difficult condition, that proves how good is their basic batting technique.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyisland
I didn't get the opportunity to see Aftab's batting this Zim series. So don't know why he is not making runs. But I saw his batting against India. In my opinion he was one of the very few BD batsmen who has technique as good as Laxman. Just because of his talent he could play Indian bowlers comfortably compare to many other top BD batsmen. However looking at his face expression it seems like he is very nervous while batting.

I think he is a very good talent. We should not give up hope on him. He needs some proper guidance and I am very positive Aftab will be a consistent performer. Believe it or not I think he is one of best batsmen we have now.
Laxman has a good technique? Lord almighty! what r u talking about? Having a good technique and being a good oneday player is not the same thing my friend! Without any doubt he is an amazing batsman. He is very wristy and depends a lot on his timing but he doesnt even have a solid defence, so how can u conclude that he has a very good technique, whereas in his same team u've got other palyers such as Dravid,Sachin and even Kaif who has got better technique. So get your facts straight my friend!
Old January 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
i haven't watched aftab play, but i don't think it's a good idea to compare him with nafis. they bat at different positions, and i'm pretty sure they have their own different ways of going about doing their job.

Edited on, January 20, 2005, 4:41 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

I'm very much with u,,u got the point asiftheman!!
Old January 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Street Cricketer

Aftab should be replaced for 2nd ODI.. Mashrafee/Rafique can easily replaced Aftab. They are both "all rounder" for ODI. Aftab is a burden for the team at this moment. We have to win the ODI series..So no chance for experiments !!!!!... Selectors: are you listening?????
Old January 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Aftab is a good lad.. he will do just fine..
His problem right now.. is that he doesnt hav the maturity to see through hard situations and usually follows the way the game is going!

If ppl around him r doing fine.. he does fine too.. and the opposite is also true..
Old January 20, 2005, 03:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally posted by bondhu25
Aftab should be replaced for 2nd ODI.. Mashrafee/Rafique can easily replaced Aftab. They are both "all rounder" for ODI. Aftab is a burden for the team at this moment. We have to win the ODI series..So no chance for experiments !!!!!... Selectors: are you listening?????
Mashrafee/rafiq replacing aftab at no.5? a pure batsmans slot?
he is not a burden for the team. no one is at the moment.

I don't think selectors will listen to you. you can try.
Old January 20, 2005, 06:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

the man only got us the win against india two matches ago... i can't believe you are talking about getting rid of him... he needs to be dropped the test team though... we constantly make the mistake of judging both versions of the game under the same light...
Old January 21, 2005, 04:43 AM
Club Cricketer

ah...rubayed, laxman does have solid defence my friend, end of conversation
Old January 21, 2005, 09:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Comon guys.. let us give him some more time . He is very young and i think , he really has the technique to really become a great batsman. I think, we should all read coach Mciness interview. I personally. preffer a batsman with good enough technique than someone scoring but doesnt have that. So..to my opinion.. he should be given more chance.. and thought of replacing him should only come when the team gets a better guy.
Old January 21, 2005, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I agree with Ejaj....he is a very good batsman....and should be given enough chance to gather experience and prove his selection.....i dun want another batsman like mehrab disappear because selectors didnt have enough faith.... we need matchwinners like him who can contribute with both bat and ball......
Old January 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Yep Ejaj is right he needs more time. He is very young. Time will tell if he is good enough.
Old January 21, 2005, 11:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Aftab is a better all rounder than Mushfiq Babu if his medium pace works