facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default ESPNcricinfo : Chittagong threaten to pull out after semis confusion

hittagong threaten to pull out after semis confusion

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/555589.html

ESPNcricinfo staff
February 28, 2012

Chittagong Kings won five games in the BPL but were judged not to have qualified for the semi-finals after much confusion © BPL T20
Enlarge
Related Links
News : Cloud over BPL after fixing arrest
Teams: Bangladesh

Chittagong Kings have threatened to pull out of the next edition of the Bangladesh Premier League because they were replaced in the semi-finals of this year's tournament hours after being officially deemed to have qualified. The matter descended into farce, with the BPL first making a clear statement on Monday saying Chittagong were one of the semi-finalists and then, at 2:45am on Tuesday morning, issuing a release saying that in fact Barisal Burners were the fourth semi-finalists. The situation became murkier on Tuesday as the Chittagong franchise alleged that the BPL had also not responded to their reports of being approached to fix matches.

Nasir Ahmed, the Chittagong manager, said the manner in which Chittagong had been ousted from the knockout phase was an "injustice". "We rushed to the stadium [at night] and on arrival we were given a letter which said Barisal are through to the semi-final and we are out," he said. "We were stunned as this could not happen according to the tournament's bylaws. This is an injustice and we want a remedy."

On Sunday evening, after Barisal had chased down Chittagong's score in 15 overs, it was announced by the broadcasters that Barisal were through to the semi-finals on the basis of net run-rate. This, according to Mike Procter, BPL match-referee and technical committee member, was a false announcement. "It didn't come from us, nothing official came from us," Procter said. "If the television [broadcasters] speculate and if you guys [the media] speculate, we do not take the responsibility.

At that point, Chittagong, Barisal, Khulna Royal Bengals and Dhaka Gladiators were equal on 10 points. On Monday, Dhaka lost narrowly to Rajshahi and Khulna beat Sylhet Royals. By virtue of 12 points from 10 games, Khulna went to second place, leaving Dhaka, Barisal and Chittagong tied on points at the end of the league phase.

In the head-to-head results between the three teams level on 10 points, Dhaka had beaten Barisal twice and Chittagong once and therefore qualified for the semi-finals in third place. That now left Chittagong and Barisal in contention for the fourth spot. Chittagong had two wins, against Barisal and Dhaka, while Barisal had only one, against Chittagong. Barisal's net run-rate, however, was better than that of Chittagong.

On Monday evening, BPL governing council chairman Gazi Ashraf Hossain officially announced the semi-final line-up. "According to the rules Rajshahi, Khulna, Dhaka and Chittagong are through," he said. He produced a photocopied page from the by-laws where clause 21.8.2 was pointed out. It said: "when three or more teams finish with equal wins in the league, then the team(s) which was (were) the winner of the most number of matches played between those equal teams in the league will be placed in the higher position(s). If after applying this criterion, there are many items which are still equal, then such equal teams shall be ranked according to their net run-rate in the league."

It was announced that Chittagong were in the semi-finals on the basis of a better head-to-head record in the three-way tie on 10 points, which included Dhaka.

At 2.45 am on Tuesday morning, however, the BPL issued a release which said that Barisal was the fourth semi-finalist. The second and third points in the release said:

"(2) Three teams - Dhaka Gladiators, Barisal Burners and Chittagong Kings are on equal (10) points. Dhaka Gladiators have most wins from meetings with Barisal Burners and Chittagong Kings and therefore qualify as the 3rd semi-finalist.

"(3) With Barisal Burners and Chittagong Kings both having one win against each other the 4th qualifier had to be decided on the basis of superior net run-rate. Barisal edged ahead of Chittagong on net run-rate to become the 4th semi-finalist."

Procter explained that the confusion arose because there were two clauses: one concerning a situation in which three teams were equal on points (21.8.2) and one referring to a similar situation with two teams (21.8.1). The former was used to decide Dhaka's qualification, which left Chittagong and Barisal level, meaning clause 21.8.1 would come into effect and Chittagong's win against Dhaka would not be counted.

"Because they ended up with the most points Dhaka were taken out of the equation," Procter said. "Two teams were left. So you could not have a head-to-head between three teams, but only two."

Chittagong, though, were left fuming and their chief executive has now also said they had been approached to fix matches. These claims come a day after the arrest of a Pakistani citizen, who was attending BPL matches, on suspicions of involvement in fixing.
"We have been approached by unknown callers at three times to fix matches," the Chittagong chief executive Sameer Quader Chowdhury said. "We informed the BPL governing council in writing but did not get any response. Even the man arrested on suspicion the other day was first identified by us."

He also said that Chittagong were considering pulling out of the tournament, though the franchise had been bought for three years. "We have invested a lot in this tournament [but] if this trend continues, we will not participate from the next edition."
Another bone of contention for the Chittagong Kings was that the official scoring website (digicricket.marssil.com) showed Chittagong above Barisal in the head-to-head count till 11am in the morning but later had N/A (not applicable) filled for each team in the head-to-head column.

Edited by Dustin Silgardo

Old February 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

more drama
Old February 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

This is what CTG should do. The owners arre successful businessman themselves, they are much smarte than these idiots of BPL governing council

Hats off to CG owners....
Old February 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I am waiting for this Headline.

"Rangpur Division to fill the vacant position in BPL"
Old February 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
I am waiting for this Headline.

"Rangpur Division to fill the vacant position in BPL"
Ctg way to valuable...BPL cant go without Dhaka or Ctg..Rangpur or any other devision cant fill in for these two
Old February 28, 2012, 11:56 AM
Banned

rangpur??

Dudher shaad ghole mite na

Rangpur...well, has pretty much nothing
Old February 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Lack of professionalism by BPL is embarrassing!
Old February 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Bye-bye Rajakar Quader Chowdhury clan. Don't let the door smack you on the butt as you walk out.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I'm thankful for Gayle not being here for all these. People would've gotten the wrong impression ...
Old February 28, 2012, 02:17 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Who cares??? there r more ppl waiting to buy a team already
Old February 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Exactly. Chittagong is not bigger than Bangladesh.

Here is my suggestion. Walton can sell Sylhet Royals to me and buy Rangpur. So the 2 new teams will be called.

Wrongpur Walton Wrongbaj (WWW) To help Danny we will spell Rongpur starting with "W". Danny will refer them as "The 3 W's"

Sylhet Saints (SS) "Double S" : Sounds awful.

Let me speak to the sponsors

J/K
Old February 28, 2012, 02:44 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Exactly. Chittagong is not bigger than Bangladesh.

Here is my suggestion. Walton can sell Sylhet Royals to me and buy Rangpur. So the 2 new teams will be called.

Wrongpur Walton Wrongbaj (WWW) To help Danny we will spell Rongpur starting with "W". Danny will refer them as "The 3 W's"

Sylhet Saints (SS) "Double S" : Sounds awful.

Let me speak to the sponsors

J/K

Great idea. *super like*
Old February 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
i care... Its not abt having more buyers, nor abt how the owners are related to a dubious personality like SQ Chowdhury, it is about rules and professionalism on the part of BCB..... I am dissappointed and I am starting to believe abt match fixing rumors.... So I am abandoning the final tomorrow....
Old February 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Cricket Sage

BCB screwed up big time at the end (otherwise what a great tournament)... what a shame.

Not that I care who should go (King or the Burner), but what a way to spoil this whole tournament.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Just pay them some cash (of course w/ an apology letter), and everything will be fine.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^^ Exactly. F6Turbo bhai was at stadium today. He said in some thread that none from the crowd were bothered by this mismanagement. They were like 'meh'. We are making too much out of it.

BCB should learn from this mistake and not repeat it next year. That's all that matters to me. IPL had much more fiasco about Sahara and Pune. Heck they even had to kick out Lalit Modi. Things like this happens and everyone should learn from it and move on.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Just pay them some cash (of course w/ an apology letter), and everything will be fine.

Money Talks, Money Rulez!
Old February 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker
rangpur??

Dudher shaad ghole mite na

Rangpur...well, has pretty much nothing
ever heard the name HoMo Ershad or akiz biri or akiz group?
Old February 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
ever heard the name HoMo Ershad or akiz biri or akiz group?
Connection. Thats what you need to become big in Bangladesh.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

IDK why you guys are suggesting new locations. I mean these guys don't own CTG, they own the "Kings." If they pull out, BCB can easily get some other 3rd world country rich men to buy a team and name it CTG Queens. Also all those players are under one season contract, so they can easily join other teams.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Haha. What a joke. As if Mr. Samir kader Cho owns the whole CTG ?

Mate you are just a Franchisee, if you are not comfortable then withdraw your application from BPL, some other Franchisee will own the CTG team. And no franchisee signed the deal with 'Game on', so if you wanna go, please go. No big deal.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shak,Tamim,SRT,Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Haha. What a joke. As if Mr. Samir kader Cho owns the whole CTG ?

Mate you are just a Franchisee, if you are not comfortable then withdraw your application from BPL, some other Franchisee will own the CTG team. And no franchisee signed the deal with 'Game on', so if you wanna go, please go. No big deal.
Bro, it's definitely not a joke to the CK supporters. The fact is injustice has been done to CK. It doesn't matter how great BB is playing at the moment or how they have outclassed CK in their last meeting. The fact is according to the by-laws CK should have gone to the semi final. You simply cannot apply two different rules for three teams stuck in the same situation.
It's not about how many other investors have already lined up to buy a franchise. It's also not about whether Samir Quader Chy owns the whole CTG or not. As a franchise owner, he has invested a lot of money and has every right to be upset if he finds out that he's not getting what he's legally entitled to. The fact that BB is playing awesome is totally irrelevant here.
I would be very upset if I was the franchise owner. As SQ Chy said he is happy to go if they give him back the money he invested. If i were the franchise owner, i would not be that lenient. I would definitely claim the money for the time I spent in this charade.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shak,Tamim,SRT,Gayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
i care... Its not abt having more buyers, nor abt how the owners are related to a dubious personality like SQ Chowdhury, it is about rules and professionalism on the part of BCB..... I am dissappointed and I am starting to believe abt match fixing rumors.... So I am abandoning the final tomorrow....
Old February 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

It will be only a loss to the owners

BCB will arrange a new team with new owner and the former players of CTG will play there as simple as that
Old February 29, 2012, 03:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Who's on Ctg's list of facing lawsuit?

1. Danny for being too loud and distracting their players
2. Shamim Chowdhury for not alliterating c's in a sentence.
3. Hussain Mohammad Ershad who should've shaken their hands.
4. BPL
5. Sun (because of Thermal radiation decay and not providing enough sunlight during match)
6. Pitch
7. Pitch in New York (totally unrelated but Ctg is bound to draw a connection)
8. Obama's health care reform
9. Martian mountains that resemble human faces for being too booey and scary scary
10. Daffodils of Albania