facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 12, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
We don't need to defend our Test Status.

We are progressing far faster than a number of past Test nation. May be we have members that are allergic to this Test status thing. May be there are members that need to "defend" our test status to their paikka of eendian friends. Or for some God forsaken reason, they want to "compare" our progress with other Test nations.

Well, the progress and the contributing factors for every Test nation is unique for their own set of circumstance. In our case, we have been greatly victimized by unfair scheduling by the ICC, in favor of their chubby kid India. We don't need validation from any country where Test cricketers are shot at. We don't also need validation from eendia who do not play us because, according the BCCI, money comes before the sport itself. We've already kicked both of their butts. Many more of those kickings are coming to them in the future in the hands of our team - a statistical reality.

The idea of taking a break from test status or a 2-tier system deserve nothing less than a swift kick in the rear. I've got my size 12s ready.
Brother, Apnar Mukhe Ful Chandan Poruk.

Do our famous BCB have that personality? I wish....................

The way ICC top managements and former cricket legends goes against our Test Status, If we lose this series.................. I don’t know what decision will be taken in next ICC general body meeting.

Old July 12, 2009, 02:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Heck of a post BIllah. Proud to be Bangladeshi because of guys like you ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 12, 2009, 02:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

We are progressing far faster than a number of past Test nation. .
Exactly which test playing nation is that? Even zimbabwe did a lot better in the initial days when they had the Flower brothers, Neil Johnson, Heath streak and Paul strang. Their cricket died due to the political issues that let to mass exodus of players...The only one I can think about is Newzealand, which probably took a while to win test matches, but atleast they were more competitive.

It may seem very patriotic to show blind support, but it's better to defend a case with strong points and justification. To me the best case for test status is our population (150 million thus a big market), general interest in the sports and the relative small number of other cricket playing country. Performance in the cricket matches is not one of the strong points.
Old July 12, 2009, 02:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
Exactly which test playing nation is that? Even zimbabwe did a lot better in the initial days when they had the Flower brothers, Neil Johnson, Heath streak and Paul strang. Their cricket died due to the political issues that let to mass exodus of players...The only one I can think about is Newzealand, which probably took a while to win test matches, but atleast they were more competitive.

It may seem very patriotic to show blind support, but it's better to defend a case with strong points and justification. To me the best case for test status is our population (150 million thus a big market), general interest in the sports and the relative small number of other cricket playing country. Performance in the cricket matches is not one of the strong points.
Practical One
Old July 12, 2009, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
how about shahriar nafees as an opener or nazmus sadat. nafees played a good role in ICL, though its very lower standard but better than our national cricket league. I think nazim and zunaed can make quick runs, not 20 balls 1 run like rokibul or mushfiq rahim. even if nazim or zunaed make 30 runs in less ball, it will be useful in this format. we can also try nazmul hossain milon aka 6er milon(known in domestic circuit as chokka milon). this guy has occasional hard hitting record but never been tested in the real game or A team
I'd give Nafees a go ahead of Nazimuddin. I'm surprised Milon hasn't had a chance in A team tours yet. In my opinion, he'd be more successful down the order as a hard hitter.
Old July 12, 2009, 03:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Not about "deserving" at this point. The topic is more about cutting our own cojones off in the hope that newer, bigger, brassier ones will grow in their place. By osmosis.

That said, we have the passion and our market reflects that. Not making excuses here but unlike Rhodesia, later Zimbabwe, we never had the domestic structure staring from organized and quality school cricket with links to English, and to a lesser extent, South African systems and leagues.

Truth be told, we're nowhere near that.

Defending the little good we have whilst not being influenced by foreign bodies does in no way suggest we are blind to the real issues retarding the development of where we ought to be. We will solve our own thank you, no matter how long it takes ...

We have a long road ahead because of the tendency to take one step forward and two steps back after taking two steps forward and one step back, but self-flagellation is hardly the solution. The pace of change may not be acceptable but things will change eventually and give Bangladeshi fans, easily the best in the world under the circumstances, what we deserve.

As awful and comical as it sounds, we are SIGNIFICANTLY better off today than we were before the status, when crap players (BCB gurus after retirement) struggled against the Deccan Blues. Could things have been better for our cricket? Definitely. Could our country be in a better place? Double definitely.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 12, 2009 at 03:25 AM..
Old July 12, 2009, 03:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

We are progressing far faster than a number of past Test nation. May be we have members that are allergic to this Test status thing. May be there are members that need to "defend" our test status to their paikka of eendian friends. Or for some God forsaken reason, they want to "compare" our progress with other Test nations.

Well, the progress and the contributing factors for every Test nation is unique for their own set of circumstance. In our case, we have been greatly victimized by unfair scheduling by the ICC, in favor of their chubby kid India. We don't need validation from any country where Test cricketers are shot at. We don't also need validation from eendia who do not play us because, according the BCCI, money comes before the sport itself. We've already kicked both of their butts. Many more of those kickings are coming to them in the future in the hands of our team - a statistical reality.

The idea of taking a break from test status or a 2-tier system deserve nothing less than a swift kick in the rear. I've got my size 12s ready.
top post..."bring it on..."

2 HUGE factors: ashoka-ji and bucknor bhai...umpiring, and i haven't done the research, but i'd guess at least HALF of our tests. also, india/NZ had benefit of home umpires...we have moni, nuff said.

we also play in a different era. india drew a lot of tests in an era were a 35 SR was considered slogging...the opposition would bat out 2 days, just to pile 400 on board. it wasn't cuz india's bowlers were so economical, it was the way batsmen batted in those days, 90% of the time.

and apparently, SA from the 1890s was even worse than we are now.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 12, 2009, 04:44 AM
Banned

Should Pakistan step out of Test Cricket for 5 years?

after playing cricket for more than fifty long years, (that's half a century!), these guys are just a bunch of pathetic losers. Their country is in tatters, they can wrench defeat from the jaws of victory in any given Test match, now, they go all out for a meager 90 runs. Yupp folks, 90 runs, in 36 overs. It took only a little over 2 hours to dismantle them! What a farce !

How does a paikka defend that ! They should seriously think of taking time off Test cricket. Say, about 5 years or so. This will give them a chance to shore up their homeland. This will also help them to be developed in to a real Test nation. Let them play against Ireland just twice a year.

After fifty long years, they are just not competitive at the top level
. Only remedy is a long break from the Test club.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:

after playing cricket for more than fifty long years, (that's half a century!), these guys are just a bunch of pathetic losers. Their country is in tatters, they can wrench defeat from the jaws of victory in any given Test match, now, they go all out for a meager 90 runs. Yupp folks, 90 runs, in 36 overs. It took only a little over 2 hours to dismantle them! What a farce !

How does a paikka defend that ! They should seriously think of taking time off Test cricket. Say, about 5 years or so. This will give them a chance to shore up their homeland. This will also help them to be developed in to a real Test nation. Let them play against Ireland just twice a year.

After fifty long years, they are just not competitive at the top level
. Only remedy is a long break from the Test club.

You are right about Pak.
But to answer to the topic of this thread I would say let's see the end of this WI series .
Than we will see.
Old July 12, 2009, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
I think the time has come for Bangladesh to step out of test cricket, atleast temporarily for 5 years and concentrate on improving proper first class structure and facilities.

What do you guys think?
You suggested to step out of Test cricket and showed the reason as, "concentrate on improving proper first class structure and facilities".

Does these two related? Can't we concentrate on improving structure while playing Test Cricket?

There is Cricket operations committee and others who has the responsibility to run and improve 1st class structure. Those responsible in BCB should step out for life-time. We don't need to step out from Test cricket.
Old July 12, 2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

I can well remember the visits of MCC from England to play our National Team that they beat years after years.
Our current Test Team is better than that Natoinal Team, that means there is an improvement.
No, we should not step out at this point.
Additionally, lot of people are employed in this industry, stepping out means loss of some jobs.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Heck NO! They will never be able to regain test status. ICC will not kick them out, but is waiting for them to leave of their own free will. They need to play longer version of the game in domestic cricket and also to arrange 4 day games with other Associates. Anyhow, sooner or later test cricket will be of a four day duration.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:53 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Yes. The future looks bleak right now. the death of our club cricket was beginning of the end. We dont have a first class structure and competency to sustain Test cricket.
That will be the worst thing that will ever happen in Bangladesh Cricket.

The FIRST thing that we got to do is discourage normal people of Bangladesh about the excitement of 50-over World Cup and encourage people to be interested in Test Cricket.

The hard truth is that we do not have too many followers of the game in Test Cricket, all we have to do is attract people to be followers of Test Cricket, which takes time.

And ofcourse, corruption should be stopped at the BCB. A very immatured way to say about the current BCB is that BCB should consist of Test Cricketers only. Since at least 4th to 5th generation of "younger" players are playing in the current Test Team of Bangladesh, so why should the Most Senior former cricketers of Bangladesh be at the BCB? So, its time for a change in BCB, too. Senior Organizer-ra ki dosh korlo je tader-ke BCB run korte hobe? They should be replaced immediately by the Younger and much more enthusiastic organizers and former cricketers of Bangladesh - following the rule of the selection of Bangladesh National Cricket Team.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfaze
Brother, Apnar Mukhe Ful Chandan Poruk.

Do our famous BCB have that personality? I wish....................

The way ICC top managements and former cricket legends goes against our Test Status, If we lose this series.................. I don’t know what decision will be taken in next ICC general body meeting.
The only decision that will be made is that WE, the fans of Bangladesh cricket, will be forced to BOYCOTT ICC and other Test nation's cricket legends.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
The only decision that will be made is that WE, the fans of Bangladesh cricket, will be forced to BOYCOTT ICC and other Test nation's cricket legends.
We will be the loser. Rather boycott someone, isn't it better to improve ourselves? We are discussing lot of things about our Cricket, Cricket System, Players etc. Why our Board, Managers, Selectors and Other Cricket Officials do not realize it? If WE (The Fans) can realize the FACT, why they cannot realize it?
Till now I think “We need Time”. Because, a nation has to have some time to build a proper infrastructure for cricket. Newzealand took 45 years. Zimbabwe took 9/10 years and Srilanka took 11/12 years. What is the problem if we take 15-20 years?

Watching the 1st Test against a 2nd or 3rd standard team of WI, I think we won’t get this time. Before that we have to bow down to the world again for take away the Test Status by ICC.

Wish Bangladesh National Team a Very Best of Luck.

Old July 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
You suggested to step out of Test cricket and showed the reason as, "concentrate on improving proper first class structure and facilities".

Does these two related? Can't we concentrate on improving structure while playing Test Cricket?

There is Cricket operations committee and others who has the responsibility to run and improve 1st class structure. Those responsible in BCB should step out for life-time. We don't need to step out from Test cricket.
You are right, the 2 things (playing test mathces to gain experience and improving first class structure and facilities) should be done simultaneously. But if we look in the last 10 years it seems that BCB has gone to hibernation. We still haven't extended year round professional league and are relying on few tournaments as it was before Test status.

Moreover, indoor training facilities, good coaching centers etc has not been spread throughout the country. As if, we have already reached our final destination.

We need something to wake up BCB from their slumber.. Loss to Canada, Ireland in Worldcups to test match loss against second string Zimbabwe attack has not changed anything back home. After those series, the captain and players were criticized but no fundamental change to the system was made. They were just treating the symptom instead of the root cause.

BCB is relatively stable financially with all the TV sponsorship, so they do have the money to make the changes. It just needs some planning and effort.

I agree with everyone, that stepping out of test will kill cricket in Bangladesh.As a fan I would also not like that to happen. But I just hope that the governing body wakes up to reality. Unfortunately if we win/draw the test series against a second string WI team, all will be forgotten and we will back to ground 0...

Last edited by imtiaz82; July 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM..
Old July 12, 2009, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
I think the time has come for Bangladesh to step out of test cricket, atleast temporarily for 5 years and concentrate on improving proper first class structure and facilities.

What do you guys think?
No. First of all, by voluntarily stepping out, we send a signal that we are bunch of quitters. That's not how sports work. You compete, maybe you lose a lot, but not competing is worse than losing. We don't want to be known as a nation of quitters- first and foremost.

What you are suggesting will not work. If we step away, there will be no incentives for players to look forward to, and the improvement in proper first class structure and facilities that we all desire, will be akin to an empty class room minus the students. Every budding player wants to represent the country at the highest level right now. They will seek different career path without that special incentive. Be sure of one thing, without the status, whatever improvement in our domestic structure that happened in last 9 years, will cease and take a backward turn. The class room furniture, computers, etc will just collect dust and eventually return to the "pathshala" status like before.

Maybe, you need to find new friends, or at least tell your buddies that we are the only nation in the sub-continent that is a Nation.
Old July 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

I am actually pleased to see Pak team getting massacared by Srilanka (even though I am a Pak fan after Bangladesh), because this keeps the focus out of our team's performance..

Anyhow I would like Bangladesh team to succeed on the long run, so as I have been saying we need fundamental changes to first class cricket, training facilities and coaching. We should look for the future and not just one test series. Even if we win this test match against West Indies I would not retract from my view on that.

BCB is sitting on huge cash and yet they have done nothing productive in the last 10 years, that is unacceptable.
Old July 12, 2009, 01:54 PM
Cricket Savant

today's innings should put a check to this thread. no offense imtiaz.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
today's innings should put a check to this thread. no offense imtiaz.
No offense taken.. but actually today's innings just showed what I has been talking about. Our players are talented but due to weak domestic cricket structure they are not professional and don't have temperatment..

Tamim and Junaid were well set and should have carried on the innings, but yet again we had a collapse. I know that's part of cricket, but this has been happening with such consistence that it can't be a coincidence. We ended up loosing matches against Pakistan, Australia, Srilanka from a winning position.
Old July 12, 2009, 04:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
No offense taken.. but actually today's innings just showed what I has been talking about. Our players are talented but due to weak domestic cricket structure they are not professional and don't have temperatment..

Tamim and Junaid were well set and should have carried on the innings, but yet again we had a collapse. I know that's part of cricket, but this has been happening with such consistence that it can't be a coincidence. We ended up loosing matches against Pakistan, Australia, Srilanka from a winning position.
no doubt there is a problem and good batting against WI D team shouldn't change it, but stepping out of test cricket is NOT the answer.

IMO, this thread isn't even a valid discussion topic and goes counter to the forum's entire existence. discussing this is akin to discussing whether or not bangladesh should give up its sovereingty as a nation at the behest of someone else owing to the fact that it is a miserably poor country in almost every facet.

that would only make things worse.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 12, 2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am actually pleased to see Pak team getting massacared by Srilanka (even though I am a Pak fan after Bangladesh), because this keeps the focus out of our team's performance..

BCB is sitting on huge cash and yet they have done nothing productive in the last 10 years, that is unacceptable.
Here's another myth that has been floated in the BC forum for sometime now. If some of you had seen the responsibilities taken up by many of our BCB members, you wouldn't say any of it. Here's a few points. Sorry to once again shake up the accepted beliefs here:

1. BCB today is a different BCB of just 5 years ago. For lack of better words, it's a coup of the middle management by cricketers and ex-cricketers. Several past events helped out with this in the past. This includes the election that took place under the caretaker government. Now, we have managers that actually want players welfare. This alone is a vast difference between the BCB of yesterday and today. Less and less bodies with no cricketing background.

2. Many at the top level are true gentlemen and really want our cricket to flurish.

3. They have just a very large number of projects going on at all times - all focused towards producing the cricketers of the future.

4. The BCB members face just an astonishing number of problems, mostly about being politically correct in doing anything. They have to deal, dodge or run over those hurdles for doing anything.

5. If you just look at Lipu bhai's daily agenda and commitments, you can't help but just feel sorry for the guy. The picture is pretty similar for many others.

6. Now, they are dealing with a new factor: an anti-cricket government. Similar situation, when Uma Bharti in India became sports minister and banned India-Pak cricket. Sad, but true.

Among all these, these guys, almost entirely made of ex-cricketers, are creating a cricket culture in our country. These are the pioneers. Among all these, BCB puts forward the best possible face whenever it comes to an international event, like a series or even a press conference. Everything runs by the clock, impressively smoothly.

Before making judgement calls on BCB, we should ask ourselves to walk the proverbial mile in their shoes. Just the sheer number of things Bobby or Lipu has to juggle in a given day is astonishing. Now add ICL revolt, relentless kicking by India and poor scheduling by ICC to that list.

Criticisizing is easy. Fans need to support BCB. We need to support BCB wholeheartedly.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
no doubt there is a problem and good batting against WI D team shouldn't change it, but stepping out of test cricket is NOT the answer.

IMO, this thread isn't even a valid discussion topic and goes counter to the forum's entire existence. discussing this is akin to discussing whether or not bangladesh should give up its sovereingty as a nation at the behest of someone else owing to the fact that it is a miserably poor country in almost every facet.

that would only make things worse.
LOL dude you are funny. You are comparing a nation to sports? Anyhow in cricket this is nothing new. Even Zimbabwe stepped out of test cricket when their whole political situation was in a mess...

I not advocating Bangladesh to stop playing test mathces but we need to think hard to improve our standard on the long run.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
LOL dude you are funny. You are comparing a nation to sports? Anyhow in cricket this is nothing new. Even Zimbabwe stepped out of test cricket when their whole political situation was in a mess...

I not advocating Bangladesh to stop playing test mathces but we need to think hard to improve our standard on the long run.
yes i am making that comparison...and according to thread title it seems to call for no tests for 5 years. that would be suicide.

as for the comparison, can anyone give one reason a tangible reason for why anyone needs a country of their own to survive? until 1971 bengali people lived for thousands of year's without a country...they still had food to eat, air to breathe, a house to live in. if the bangladesh stopped existing as a country, you would be affected physiologically just as much as if the team gave up test status.

over the top post i know, but i hope it illustrates the futility of following the zimbabwe model.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 12, 2009, 05:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shaun Tait, P.Hughes

Thank God Pakistan cancelled their tour,we want our players to play test cricket against world class players not some t20 winners lol, 90 runs all out and 120 all out even without Murali, I think test status should be snatched from Pakistan first.