facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 19, 2005, 07:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Rabeed Imam\'s Article Has Been Edited By Cricinfo!

I am opening a new thread on this because I deem the matter to be important.

Rabeed Imam's original article for cricinfo "Earning the World's Respect" seems to have been edited. The entire passage devoted to his observations about Benaud, Hughs et al., the English media and Mr. Gavaskar's selection of Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over Mortaza for the Asian XI is missing. This was, singularly, the most important passage in the entire article as it had the most direct resonance with the sentiments expressed in the title.

Unless he has any objections, I would request Rabeed bhai to allow the mods to post his original piece as a BC front page article so that we can all read it.

I am hoping the mods will agree.

Cricinfo Link to Edited Article

Edited on, June 19, 2005, 8:36 PM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: your reason is valid enough; might as well mention it in the headline

Old June 19, 2005, 04:11 PM
BC Editorial Team

Hey khan shaheb, can you find the original? We can post it here and then work on the perm
Old June 19, 2005, 04:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Original RAB's article is in
this thread
Old June 19, 2005, 04:20 PM
Test Cricketer

I think sports-fan-bd asked the mods to close his original thread so I copied and saved the article!! Glad to see it is still out there.
Old June 19, 2005, 04:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Read both the original and the one on Cricinfo!.
You see it will be politically incorrect for pre-dominantly Indian owned cricinfo to upset their compadre Sunil Ghavaskar's selection process.

As I have stated again and again we need to be consistently vigilant about what is written about Bangladesh and what does not and what gets edited (in the name of clarity more like making sure to avoid getting pies on their faces).

Quote:
Originally posted by mwrkhan
I am opening a new thread on this because I deem the matter to be important.

Rabeed Imam's original article for cricinfo "Earning the World's Respect" seems to have been edited. The entire passage devoted to his observations about Benaud, Hughs et al., the English media and Mr. Gavaskar's selection of Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over Mortaza for the Asian XI is missing. This was, singularly, the most important passage in the entire article as it had the most direct resonance with the sentiments expressed in the title.

Unless he has any objections, I would request Rabeed bhai to allow the mods to post his original piece as a BC front page article so that we can all read it.

I am hoping the mods will agree.

Cricinfo Link to Edited Article

Edited on, June 19, 2005, 8:36 PM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: your reason is valid enough; might as well mention it in the headline
Edited on, June 19, 2005, 9:54 PM GMT, by CTazim.

Edited on, June 19, 2005, 10:19 PM GMT, by CTazim.
Old June 19, 2005, 04:59 PM
Test Cricketer

If the article is posted on the front page I hope there would be a rejoinder stating that the cricinfo one was edited.
Old June 19, 2005, 05:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

nothing can be done and it is copyrighted by CricInfo
Old June 19, 2005, 06:57 PM
Retired BC Admin

It is no longer copy-righted! I'll put the two forbiden paragraphs from Rabeed Imam, that cricinfo does not want anyone to read, in a quote below:
Quote:

As a matter of fact, some things will never revisit Bangladesh's cricket again after Saturday's events at Sophia Gardens. For a start, Australians and others might think twice before taking the same stance as Richie Benaud, Shane Warne and Kim Hughes in ridiculing the Tigers. Cricket pundits, who do not feel the need to do groundwork while analysing teams like Bangladesh, will take extra care so that their columns do not end in complete embarrassment. And there is a pretty good chance that the English media, which at times made the Bangladeshis feel as if touring England was their fault, might become their biggest admirers.

Better still, if you ever hear another call for Bangladesh to be banned from international cricket, it may not be louder than a furtive whisper. You can also rest assured that next time legends like Sunil Gavaskar sit to select a world or an Asian XI, they will think twice before picking a Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over a Mashrafe Mortaza on the pretext of never having heard the name.
Old June 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Richie Benaud, Shane Warne and Kim Hughes HOLO oder BAP. [Mod: deleted]

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 1:22 AM GMT, by Zunaid.
Old June 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sadhat
Richie Benaud, Shane Warne and Kim Hughes HOLO oder BAP. [mod: deleted]
Mod: Personally, I know how you feel, but there are better ways
Old June 19, 2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
It is no longer copy-righted! I'll put the two forbiden paragraphs from Rabeed Imam, that cricinfo does not want anyone to read, in a quote below:
Quote:

As a matter of fact, some things will never revisit Bangladesh's cricket again after Saturday's events at Sophia Gardens. For a start, Australians and others might think twice before taking the same stance as Richie Benaud, Shane Warne and Kim Hughes in ridiculing the Tigers. Cricket pundits, who do not feel the need to do groundwork while analysing teams like Bangladesh, will take extra care so that their columns do not end in complete embarrassment. And there is a pretty good chance that the English media, which at times made the Bangladeshis feel as if touring England was their fault, might become their biggest admirers.

Better still, if you ever hear another call for Bangladesh to be banned from international cricket, it may not be louder than a furtive whisper. You can also rest assured that next time legends like Sunil Gavaskar sit to select a world or an Asian XI, they will think twice before picking a Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over a Mashrafe Mortaza on the pretext of never having heard the name.
Since it has not been "outed" by CracIndo - we could out this up in the front page - as a reaction to the win by a noted BD sports journalist. Putting exceprts is just fine and dandy from the legal prspective
Old June 19, 2005, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Did Gavaskar actually say he had never heard of Mashrafee - that's pathetic!

Rabeed's 2 paras seem fine to us, but I guess it attacks the misinformed writings of other contributors to CI itself. That may have had as much to do with the editing as any special interest to protect Gavaskar, so I can't agree with my always-vigilant friend Azim here about the Indian angle (Azim, btw if you ever get bored with databases, I know of a job in the PMO office monitoring so called anti-BD propganda that I can recommend you for!)
Old June 19, 2005, 10:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I don't get it! Gavaskar was in Dhaka commenting on the India-Bangladesh Tests! How can he not remember Mortaza's name especially after he scalped Dravid, Sehwag and Tendulkar? Thats just pathetic. If he doesn't know his players then he shouldn't even be a selector.
Old June 19, 2005, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
I don't get it! Gavaskar was in Dhaka commenting on the India-Bangladesh Tests! How can he not remember Mortaza's name especially after he scalped Dravid, Sehwag and Tendulkar? Thats just pathetic. If he doesn't know his players then he shouldn't even be a selector.
You shouldn't take that sentence literally. It's just exaggerating that Bangladeshi's don't have the reputation and aren't as well renowned as players from other countries. People who go to the ground to watch Asian XI matches want to see the best and their favourite players. Odds are that fewer people would know of Mashrafe than Naved-ul-Hasan Rana.

Of course Gavaskar knew who he was
Old June 19, 2005, 11:06 PM
Test Cricketer

well after this performance against australia nobody will forget the name ASHRAFUL. as far as fans wanting to see their favorite players 140 million people rather see masrafee then naved-ul who.
Old June 19, 2005, 11:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
Did Gavaskar actually say he had never heard of Mashrafee - that's pathetic!

Rabeed's 2 paras seem fine to us, but I guess it attacks the misinformed writings of other contributors to CI itself. That may have had as much to do with the editing as any special interest to protect Gavaskar, so I can't agree with my always-vigilant friend Azim here about the Indian angle (Azim, btw if you ever get bored with databases, I know of a job in the PMO office monitoring so called anti-BD propganda that I can recommend you for!)
LOL. Thanks Rafiq bhai, I will keep that in mind .
Old June 19, 2005, 11:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid

Since it has not been "outed" by CracIndo - we could out this up in the front page - as a reaction to the win by a noted BD sports journalist. Putting exceprts is just fine and dandy from the legal prspective
LOL I like the CracIndo Term!
Old June 20, 2005, 12:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Better still, if you ever hear another call for Bangladesh to be banned from international cricket, it may not be louder than a furtive whisper. You can also rest assured that next time legends like Sunil Gavaskar sit to select a world or an Asian XI, they will think twice before picking a Rana Naved-ul-Hasan over a Mashrafe Mortaza on the pretext of never having heard the name.[/color]
Why would Gavaskar choose Mashrafe over Naved-ul Hasan? Mashrafe has not shown anything extraordinary in ODIs or Tests yet.

Let our tigers be consistent . Remember there are tons of talented players in club crickets of other international countries. One of the main reasons they dont make it to the national team is that they are not consistent enough.
Old June 20, 2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
...For a start, Australians and others might think twice before taking the same stance as Richie Benaud, Shane Warne and Kim Hughes in ridiculing the Tigers. Cricket pundits, who do not feel the need to do groundwork while analysing teams like Bangladesh, will take extra care so that their columns do not end in complete embarrassment.
One of them has found last night, with "pants down" in front of a girl, begging for sex. Now, how should I take his "advise" for so called "better interest of test cricket"?

Daily Telegraph(Aus):No wonder we lost to Bangladesh

Edited on, June 20, 2005, 10:14 AM GMT, by PoorFan.
Reason: Added the link
Old June 20, 2005, 05:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Finally, I can find the connection between the Hindu's "10-yr-batsmen-worth-Bangladeshi bowlers" and the deletion of Mashrafe-Navidul comparison by cricinfo. The bottom line is they want to belittle our bowlers. Out of the two the first is the most flagrant lie ever commented on Bangladesh cricket.