facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 8, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Default ODI solution for ICC : A suggestion

Here is a suggestion for ICC to tackle the ODI schedule:

The League:

Played over a Three year period between the World Cups.
Three Divisions of 6 starting with current rankings:

Division 1: Aus, Ind, SA, SL, Eng, Pak
Division 2 : NZ, WI, BD, Ire, Zim, Ned
Division 3 : Ken, Afg, Sco, Can, Qualifier 1, Qualifier 2

A qualifying tournament to be held between all associates/affiliates to determine Q1, Q2 through the various stages in the first 18 months. The 6 teams in Division 3 will play each other 3 times in the next 18 months to determine the top 2 teams. . The top two teams will play in a tournament with the bottom two teams of Division 2 to fight for 2 available WC slots. The top Division 3 team will also get a 5 match series against the 6th place finisher from Division 2 for a chance to qualify and relegate the 6th place finisher

Division 2 teams will play each other 3 game series’ both home and away and get a 3 game home series against each Division 1 team. That is 48 games to be played over 3 years at an average of 16 matches per year. The top 4 teams automatically qualify for the WC with the bottom 2 having to duke it out with the top two Division 3 teams for 2 available spots. The champion gets an automatic promotion to Division 1 at the expense of the last place finisher in Division 1. The 5th place finisher in Division 1 gets a 5 game home series against the runner up in Division 2 for a promotion/relegation option.

Division 1 teams will play each other 3 game series’ both home and away and an away 3 match series against each team in Division 2. All teams are automatically included in the world cup. The bottom place finisher moves to division 2 for the next cycle and the 5th place finisher gets a home series to defend its spot vs. the runner up from Division 2.

The world cup will consist of 12 teams (all 6 from Division 1, top 4 from division 2 and 2 more to be decided between D2-5/6 and D3-1/2. The Cup itself will be 2 groups of 6 with each team in the group playing each other. The group champions (A1 & B1) automatically qualify for the semi finals. B2 vs. A3 and A2 vs. B3 will be playoff matches to determine their opponents followed by the semi finals and final. This will reduce the World Cup to 35 matches and by playing multiple games on the same day in the group stages, the cup could easily be concluded within a 4 to 5 week period. (The 2011 is 52 days long).

Benefits to this:

- More succinct and competitive world cup but with enough opportunities for top associates to qualify
- Theoretically a team, if talented enough, could come up from the very bottom and qualify for the WC
- Balanced matches across teams
- Top teams don’t have to worry about hosting lower ranked teams that they find financially non-lucrative
- If a team drops from Division 1 to Division 2, they still get home matches next cycle vs. Division 1 teams and have 2 chances (automatic as champion or a playoff as runner up) to re-qualify
- Division 2 bottom dweller doesn’t automatically get dropped but gets a last chance effort against Division 3 champion to stay
- Average of 16 ODIs per year is very reasonable and reduces international obligations and work load on players
- The World cup year allows time for teams to arrange bi-lateral series that see as profitable
- Every match becomes meaningful in the big picture
- Rankings become irrelevant and finishing place in group is a true indicator of where teams stand compared to each other
- ODI remains a viable format and likely to inspire growth in Division 3 teams and beyond

Last edited by Raynman; March 8, 2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old March 8, 2011, 11:55 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

I love the idea..... We will easily qualify and even stand a good chance to move to Div 1 later on.
How ever what happens to test cricket??

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
I love the idea..... We will easily qualify and even stand a good chance to move to Div 1 later on.
How ever what happens to test cricket??

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Not just for us but it would be fair all the way around.

I'm thinking up something for Test cricket. Putting some tweaks on it. I'll have something out for T20 and Test seperately later.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:47 PM

You should send your proposal to ICC Raynman bhai. Seems a good idea to me

Last edited by kalpurush; March 8, 2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old March 8, 2011, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
You should send your proposal to ICC Raynman bhai. Seems a good idea to me
Any ideas on how?

Last edited by kalpurush; March 8, 2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: spelling corrections on original quoted post
Old March 8, 2011, 03:01 PM

May be Zunaid bhai or Miraz bhai could help through BCB or with networking? You could e-mail ICC but then it could be lost in hundreds of e-mails!
Old March 9, 2011, 04:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

very good idea and good thread, Raynman bro

a general comment about how things are run in BanglaCricket(fan driven site):

sometimes there are many quality posts and quality threads which get ignored due to the lack of number of replies. other times, Threads with sufficiently low quality gets a lot of attention due to a plethora of replies.

if this idea is to be implemented, then it will ensure that Bangladesh only plays top teams like the division 1 teams listed above in global tournaments such as ICC Champions Trophy, ICC world T20, World Cup. it means that Division 2 teams will get less chances to play top teams. This will be a disadvantage but generally a very good idea for competitive cricket all-round!
Old March 9, 2011, 04:55 AM

That system sounds reasonable however ...

Division 2 fellas will lose big earning games in that period, and whoever fail to promote Division 1 for long ...? will make it sure that they go bankrupted. Not just the Division system, but the finance is a big factor to promote cricket development world wide. Need a reasonable share of eraning/finance system from ICC in place [based on ranking?] I guess. England's Premiere Leagu and First Division footbal is a good example, may be promotion/relegation every year is better in that case.
Old March 9, 2011, 06:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Dont matter what fans here write, the ICC will do their own thing. I am sure they will come up with their own solutions, but they must get the Associates to play the higher ranked teams more.
I think it will be good for BD to play for qualification, more exposure and more practice on different pitches.
Old March 9, 2011, 06:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
That system sounds reasonable however ...

Division 2 fellas will lose big earning games in that period, and whoever fail to promote Division 1 for long ...? will make it sure that they go bankrupted. Not just the Division system, but the finance is a big factor to promote cricket development world wide. Need a reasonable share of eraning/finance system from ICC in place [based on ranking?] I guess. England's Premiere Leagu and First Division footbal is a good example, may be promotion/relegation every year is better in that case.
They won't because they still get to host the home series vs. the Div 1 teams.

With this make up you all matches become meaningful and should generate more interest. Think about this, now a WI-IRE series is meaningful to viewers in NZ and BD since the matches impact their standings. Not only the league but WC qualification could be at stake too.
Old March 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
very good idea and good thread, Raynman bro

a general comment about how things are run in BanglaCricket(fan driven site):

sometimes there are many quality posts and quality threads which get ignored due to the lack of number of replies. other times, Threads with sufficiently low quality gets a lot of attention due to a plethora of replies.

if this idea is to be implemented, then it will ensure that Bangladesh only plays top teams like the division 1 teams listed above in global tournaments such as ICC Champions Trophy, ICC world T20, World Cup. it means that Division 2 teams will get less chances to play top teams. This will be a disadvantage but generally a very good idea for competitive cricket all-round!
I know exactly what you mean.

You must've missed the part where I mentioned that in each cycle the Division 2 teams get 1 home series of 3 games vs. each of the division 1 teams.
Old March 9, 2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

An interesting idea. Can you elaborate on the process of promotion and demotion within the 3 year cycle?
Old March 9, 2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
They won't because they still get to host the home series vs. the Div 1 teams.

With this make up you all matches become meaningful and should generate more interest. Think about this, now a WI-IRE series is meaningful to viewers in NZ and BD since the matches impact their standings. Not only the league but WC qualification could be at stake too.
Ok I got it, thanks. Now one more thing, how do we slot test matches/ranking into this system? It will be very interesting if there is a way to put test matches in consideration. Looking forward to hear more from you.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
An interesting idea. Can you elaborate on the process of promotion and demotion within the 3 year cycle?
Here's a scenario:

In Division 1 all 6 teams will play 48 matches over the 3 year period. 3 each vs. Division 2 as an away match (3x6 = 18) and 3 home matches vs. each Division 1 team (3 x 5 others) = 15 and another 15 away matches with the same opponents.

lets say after the 48 matches the standings are as follows:

1. AUS 2. SA 3. IND 4. ENG 5. SL 6. PAK

Same number of matches for Division 2 except their 18 matches vs. Division 1 are all home. Lets say this is how it finishes:

1. WI 2. BD 3. NZ 4. IRE 5. ZIM 6. NED

Division 3 will have 15 matches each (3 vs. each of the 5). Since these countries don't have the set up for being able to host (barring Ken), ICC will have to figure out venues to have the matches. Lets say this is how they finish:

1. AFG 2. CAN 3. KEN 4. SCO 5. NAM 6. USA (assuming NAM and USA were Q1 and Q2)

This is what happens:

AUS is crowned the Division 1 league champion
All Division 1 teams have qualified for the World Cup
PAK will be relegated to Division 2 for the Next Cycle
WI is crowned Division 2 league Champion
WI will be promoted to Division 1 for the next Cycle
WI, BID, NZ and IRE will qualify for the WC
SL (as #5) will play a 5 match series vs. BD (as #2) in SL. The winner moves/stays to DIV 1 and loser moves/stays to DIV 2. In the event of a tied series, SL retains its Div 1 status
NED will play AFG in a 5 match series similar to what SL and BD did with Div 2 status at stake
Zim and NED will play the top 2 Division teams AFG and CAN for the final 2 spots of the World Cup
Old March 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Ok I got it, thanks. Now one more thing, how do we slot test matches/ranking into this system? It will be very interesting if there is a way to put test matches in consideration. Looking forward to hear more from you.
I believe the formats need to be treated seperately with their own schedules and timelines. Based on the timelines, teams can chose to combine Test and ODI series' together if that helps logistically but its not manadatory

I should have the T20I suggestion out later today. Test will take a bit more time as there are a lot of things to consider.

I'm not trying to come up with a suggestion for solution to what is best for a specific team but something that will be fair, reasonable and at least try to address concerns that are well known (i.e. competitive fixtures, financially lucrative series' etc.)
Old March 9, 2011, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Default The T20 solution

The T20 solution will require 2-3 weeks per year from the calendar with a World Cup every even year and Zonal championships every odd year.

Create 3 zones:

Zone Asia : Ind, Pak, SL, BD, Afg , UAE, Malaysia, CHN, Nepal, Singapore
Zone North : Eng, WI, Ire, Ned, Can , Sco, USA, Ber, Den, France
Zone South : Aus, NZ, SA, Zim, Ken, Nam, PNG, Tanzania, Uganda

Each odd year there will be a Zonal tournament by splitting the 10 teams in 2 groups of 5 in a league setting. That’s 10 matches per group. The top 3 finishers in each group get an automatic qualification to the next zonal tournament. The bottom 2 in each group will need to go through qualifiers for the following tournament. A1/B2 and B1/A2 semifinals. Finals, 3rd/4th match & 5th/6th match between A3/B3.

5 teams from each zone (3x5 = 15) will qualify for the World Cup along with the host. Since 2012 host is SL, Asia in 2011 tournaments will get 5 qualifiers other than SL.

The World Cup will have 16 teams with 4 groups of 4 (6 matches per group) and QF, SF and F (31 games in total). Since T20s can easily be scheduled with 2/3 matches per day, this can end easily within 3 weeks. The groups will be separated to Host and the three zonal champions in their own groups (runner up in that zone if host was also the champion). The remaining teams will be allocated based on their finish in the zones to even out the groups.

The even year will also include the qualifiers for the next Zonal tournaments.

With this you promote cricket and allow potential markets like USA and China into the mix. There is an equal and fair path to qualification but solid enough where barring major multiple upsets the best teams should qualify to the World Cup. T20I takes away very little time from the calendar and doesn’t conflict with IPL or other domestic leagues as each zone will schedule the tournament according to their geographical weather. The zonal competitions will allow upcoming countries like IRE, USA, China to host a major event which they would normally not get the chance to do.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

the ICC already has a ODI league in place and its starting as soon as teh world cup ends (i think our series against AUS will be teh first series with the new league).

so all other ideas are pretty much a moot point, and i've seen a few good ideas for a test league.

basicially we are gonna see the status quo intact - since the big 4 countries are profiting financially, its not broken, so there won't be a need to fix it. i actually think the status quo is fine. they just need to encorporate a league system somehow. ICC has not elaborated on it yet, but its already decided upon.

what they need to do is involve the weaker teams more, but i doubt that will happen.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Zaheer Khan, Sachin

Quote:
Here's a scenario:

In Division 1 all 6 teams will play 48 matches over the 3 year period. 3 each vs. Division 2 as an away match (3x6 = 18) and 3 home matches vs. each Division 1 team (3 x 5 others) = 15 and another 15 away matches with the same opponents.

lets say after the 48 matches the standings are as follows:

1. AUS 2. SA 3. IND 4. ENG 5. SL 6. PAK

Same number of matches for Division 2 except their 18 matches vs. Division 1 are all home. Lets say this is how it finishes:

1. WI 2. BD 3. NZ 4. IRE 5. ZIM 6. NED

Division 3 will have 15 matches each (3 vs. each of the 5). Since these countries don't have the set up for being able to host (barring Ken), ICC will have to figure out venues to have the matches. Lets say this is how they finish:

1. AFG 2. CAN 3. KEN 4. SCO 5. NAM 6. USA (assuming NAM and USA were Q1 and Q2)

This is what happens:

AUS is crowned the Division 1 league champion
All Division 1 teams have qualified for the World Cup
PAK will be relegated to Division 2 for the Next Cycle
WI is crowned Division 2 league Champion
WI will be promoted to Division 1 for the next Cycle
WI, BID, NZ and IRE will qualify for the WC
SL (as #5) will play a 5 match series vs. BD (as #2) in SL. The winner moves/stays to DIV 1 and loser moves/stays to DIV 2. In the event of a tied series, SL retains its Div 1 status
NED will play AFG in a 5 match series similar to what SL and BD did with Div 2 status at stake
Zim and NED will play the top 2 Division teams AFG and CAN for the final 2 spots of the World Cup
1. There has to be a play off before you swap teams between divisions. It is theoretically possible that last team in Div 1 is way stronger than Div 2 champions so do not switch automatically (when you say Pak moves to div2 and WI to div1) .

2. Also during play offs there has to be concept of home and away games. (when you say "SL (as #5) will play a 5 match series vs. BD (as #2) in SL. The winner moves/stays to DIV 1 and loser moves/stays to DIV 2. In the event of a tied series, SL retains its Div 1 status"). Why should the match be in SL only, probably 3 in SL but 2 in BD as well?

3. Also, don't you think that div2 teams need to tour more of div1 countries rather than just playing in home conditions? Div1 teams will get more stronger by touring other Div1 countries as well Div2 countries.

4. For Div1 teams, they tour 11 different countries just for ODI's. Not many teams are going to like that because there will be test tours,IPL tours apart from these regular ODI's. Obviously you would want to want to club these matches when there is a test tour.

5. Now combining my points 3 & 4. I think it would be more helpful if Div2 teams tour Div1 countries. It will serve many parties, first - give experience to div2 teams of the real challenge that they will eventually face and they will not feel out of place once they qualify to div1. I always feel that div2 teams need to tour more. Secondly, div1 team will readily face div2 teams in home as it won't take much of their time. Do you really think Australia would like to tour Holland for 3 matches and spend 10-15 days in already cramped schedule, but I think they would be more agreeable to host Holland which should not take more than 5-6 days. Thirdly, div1 teams can try out their fringe players in home conditions if they feel very confident of defeating div2 teams.

6. On your point of pruning the world cup, financially not many boards will like it. They loose viewer ship if multiple matches are held on same day. This time BCCI wanted all India matches on Saturday and Sundays and Bangladesh Board wanted all BD matches on Friday's.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:36 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I think this is a worthy proposal. Not perfect, but nothing in this world is!

In my experience, the almost sure way to have a correspondence read is to print a hard copy and send it by FedEx. Almost no one can resist opening an express letter. If they like part of the idea, they can adopt it.

An email will almost certainly not be acted upon.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
Street Cricketer

Very good suggestions. My take would be to eliminate the group stage of the cup altogether, arrive at the semi-finalists through the league structure and have teams playing best of three knock-outs, (semi-finals and finals).Thats a maximum nine dedicated "cup" matches which would surely draw considerable interest.
If thats too short, have best of three quater finals as well. That would remove tedious group matches and reduce freak-shows and aberrant performances from altering the truly consistent world champion.
Old March 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaig1
1. There has to be a play off before you swap teams between divisions. It is theoretically possible that last team in Div 1 is way stronger than Div 2 champions so do not switch automatically (when you say Pak moves to div2 and WI to div1) .

2. Also during play offs there has to be concept of home and away games. (when you say "SL (as #5) will play a 5 match series vs. BD (as #2) in SL. The winner moves/stays to DIV 1 and loser moves/stays to DIV 2. In the event of a tied series, SL retains its Div 1 status"). Why should the match be in SL only, probably 3 in SL but 2 in BD as well?

3. Also, don't you think that div2 teams need to tour more of div1 countries rather than just playing in home conditions? Div1 teams will get more stronger by touring other Div1 countries as well Div2 countries.

4. For Div1 teams, they tour 11 different countries just for ODI's. Not many teams are going to like that because there will be test tours,IPL tours apart from these regular ODI's. Obviously you would want to want to club these matches when there is a test tour.

5. Now combining my points 3 & 4. I think it would be more helpful if Div2 teams tour Div1 countries. It will serve many parties, first - give experience to div2 teams of the real challenge that they will eventually face and they will not feel out of place once they qualify to div1. I always feel that div2 teams need to tour more. Secondly, div1 team will readily face div2 teams in home as it won't take much of their time. Do you really think Australia would like to tour Holland for 3 matches and spend 10-15 days in already cramped schedule, but I think they would be more agreeable to host Holland which should not take more than 5-6 days. Thirdly, div1 teams can try out their fringe players in home conditions if they feel very confident of defeating div2 teams.

6. On your point of pruning the world cup, financially not many boards will like it. They loose viewer ship if multiple matches are held on same day. This time BCCI wanted all India matches on Saturday and Sundays and Bangladesh Board wanted all BD matches on Friday's.
Mine is a suggestion to to be used as a base for discussion.

1. I understand your point but with the automatic promotion/demotion it gives more meaning to winning the Div 2 league. It also mixes up the opponents for the next cycle a bit. If the team is truly that much stronger, they should end up swapping spots within 3 years.

2. I decided to give advantage to the DIV 1 team to prevent wholesale changes each cycle. It just puts extra pressure on DIV-2 runner up to prove being deserving of DIV 1

3. Don't disagree but that would require a schedule with 10 teams (minimum). If you can draw up something that makes sens timeline wise and you think could convince India to host BD and ZIM, lets discuss.

4. I think this will be more appealing to the DIV 1 teams

5. I get your point but not sure how you plan to accomplish that

6. It doesn't have to be same day games but you still reduce the WC by at least 17 days.
Old March 9, 2011, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
the ICC already has a ODI league in place and its starting as soon as teh world cup ends (i think our series against AUS will be teh first series with the new league).

so all other ideas are pretty much a moot point, and i've seen a few good ideas for a test league.

basicially we are gonna see the status quo intact - since the big 4 countries are profiting financially, its not broken, so there won't be a need to fix it. i actually think the status quo is fine. they just need to encorporate a league system somehow. ICC has not elaborated on it yet, but its already decided upon.

what they need to do is involve the weaker teams more, but i doubt that will happen.

I don't belive anything final has been announced. ICCs plan talks about a 1 match between teams that can be home or away.

I understand that this post won't go anywhere (unless somebody with actual connections takes notice and puts it forward to somebody of any authority) but thats what we do here, don't we? Just look at all the selection threads.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:

The League:

A qualifying tournament to be held between all associates/affiliates to determine Q1, Q2 through the various stages in the first 18 months. The 6 teams in Division 3 will play each other 3 times in the next 18 months to determine the top 2 teams. . The top two teams will play in a tournament with the bottom two teams of Division 2 to fight for 2 available WC slots. The top Division 3 team will also get a 5 match series against the 6th place finisher from Division 2 for a chance to qualify and relegate the 6th place finisher

Division 2 teams will play each other 3 game series’ both home and away and get a 3 game home series against each Division 1 team. That is 48 games to be played over 3 years at an average of 16 matches per year. The top 4 teams automatically qualify for the WC with the bottom 2 having to duke it out with the top two Division 3 teams for 2 available spots. The champion gets an automatic promotion to Division 1 at the expense of the last place finisher in Division 1. The 5th place finisher in Division 1 gets a 5 game home series against the runner up in Division 2 for a promotion/relegation option.

Division 1 teams will play each other 3 game series’ both home and away and an away 3 match series against each team in Division 2. All teams are automatically included in the world cup. The bottom place finisher moves to division 2 for the next cycle and the 5th place finisher gets a home series to defend its spot vs. the runner up from Division 2.

The world cup will consist of 12 teams (all 6 from Division 1, top 4 from division 2 and 2 more to be decided between D2-5/6 and D3-1/2. The Cup itself will be 2 groups of 6 with each team in the group playing each other. The group champions (A1 & B1) automatically qualify for the semi finals. B2 vs. A3 and A2 vs. B3 will be playoff matches to determine their opponents followed by the semi finals and final. This will reduce the World Cup to 35 matches and by playing multiple games on the same day in the group stages, the cup could easily be concluded within a 4 to 5 week period. (The 2011 is 52 days long).

Benefits to this:

- More succinct and competitive world cup but with enough opportunities for top associates to qualify
- Theoretically a team, if talented enough, could come up from the very bottom and qualify for the WC
- Top teams don’t have to worry about hosting lower ranked teams that they find financially non-lucrative
- If a team drops from Division 1 to Division 2, they still get home matches next cycle vs. Division 1 teams and have 2 chances (automatic as champion or a playoff as runner up) to re-qualify
- Division 2 bottom dweller doesn’t automatically get dropped but gets a last chance effort against Division 3 champion to stay
- Average of 16 ODIs per year is very reasonable and reduces international obligations and work load on players
- The World cup year allows time for teams to arrange bi-lateral series that see as profitable
- Rankings become irrelevant and finishing place in group is a true indicator of where teams stand compared to each other
- ODI remains a viable format and likely to inspire growth in Division 3 teams and beyond
i think simialr strategy can be done in tests.

tier 1 and 2 will play test between them selves and tier 3 will play FC between themselves.

tier 2 will get the chance to host one tier 1 team and when they go to tour a tier 1 team they will play agaisnt their A team.

similarly, tier 3 will get the chance to host one tier 2 team and when they go to tour a tier 2 team they will play agaisnt their A team.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
The T20 solution will require 2-3 weeks per year from the calendar with a World Cup every even year and Zonal championships every odd year.

Create 3 zones:

Zone Asia : Ind, Pak, SL, BD, Afg , UAE, Malaysia, CHN, Nepal, Singapore
Zone North : Eng, WI, Ire, Ned, Can , Sco, USA, Ber, Den, France
Zone South : Aus, NZ, SA, Zim, Ken, Nam, PNG, Tanzania, Uganda

Each odd year there will be a Zonal tournament by splitting the 10 teams in 2 groups of 5 in a league setting. That’s 10 matches per group. The top 3 finishers in each group get an automatic qualification to the next zonal tournament. The bottom 2 in each group will need to go through qualifiers for the following tournament. A1/B2 and B1/A2 semifinals. Finals, 3rd/4th match & 5th/6th match between A3/B3.

5 teams from each zone (3x5 = 15) will qualify for the World Cup along with the host. Since 2012 host is SL, Asia in 2011 tournaments will get 5 qualifiers other than SL.

The World Cup will have 16 teams with 4 groups of 4 (6 matches per group) and QF, SF and F (31 games in total). Since T20s can easily be scheduled with 2/3 matches per day, this can end easily within 3 weeks. The groups will be separated to Host and the three zonal champions in their own groups (runner up in that zone if host was also the champion). The remaining teams will be allocated based on their finish in the zones to even out the groups.

The even year will also include the qualifiers for the next Zonal tournaments.

With this you promote cricket and allow potential markets like USA and China into the mix. There is an equal and fair path to qualification but solid enough where barring major multiple upsets the best teams should qualify to the World Cup. T20I takes away very little time from the calendar and doesn’t conflict with IPL or other domestic leagues as each zone will schedule the tournament according to their geographical weather. The zonal competitions will allow upcoming countries like IRE, USA, China to host a major event which they would normally not get the chance to do.
thats a good idea. except lets zone it different way

zone 1: ASIA
zone 2: Europe and Africa
zone 3: Australia, North Amerca, South America
Old March 16, 2011, 01:27 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:

The League:

Benefits to this:

There are a few problems with this from the teams' viewpoint as I see this:

Revenues from TV, merchandising and sponsorship will be massively impacted by series not taking place between the top countries and the lesser ones in your scenario. So financially it would mean big losses (who wants to televise ZIM against Holland?)

Also, NL, Ireland are not full time and reliant upon work commitments. Plus their infrastructure and facilities to host major series (which you are suggesting) is very limited.

We already have we World Cricket League for associates which identifies the top sides to qualify for the WC proper.

I don't know how your idea impacts on the World Cup itself.

Cricket is motivated EXCLUSIVELY by money and the fact that no one wants to play against the associates. It is against this background you have to judge the merits of your idea.