facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Default DOGDED - Do One Good Deed Every Day.

Read an article in a magazine called WEEKEND, where the author suggest doing ONE good deed a day and writing it in your journal/diary. Its a great idea and we could all do a good deed a day and write about it in this forum.

It can be anything. In Islam, for example, even a smile is considered an act of charity.

This is also not for boasting about how good I/we (anyone who posts in this thread are). Its just about doing your bit and helping to make the world a better place.

Cheers and keep posting.

Old September 19, 2008, 03:45 PM
Test Cricketer

19th September :: My good deed of the day.

I saw a person on the street who had a small plastic bag and too many things were stuffed into it. Things kept falling and as he was riding a bicycle, he had to stop and get down each time it happened. Offered him a spare plastic bag that I had. Made things easier for him and he smiled in appreciation. No words were spoken, and away we went in different ways, but I felt good. Its amazing how small deeds can leave behind big smiles.
Old September 19, 2008, 04:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Yasin == Yaseen?

Both are from UAE.
Old September 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
Test Cricketer

well its always been Yasin --> infamously labelled as "the only spectator in the crowd" during IPL season... . Havent logged in for over 2 months due to some reasons and the cheap runs I accumulated during IPL has vanished...
Old September 19, 2008, 07:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasin.

It can be anything. In Islam, for example, even a smile is considered an act of charity.
I like that.

But then again, I always find labels such as "good" and "bad" troubling. If I were to see an ailing man and feed him, then it's either for self-gratification or truly an altruistic act out of compassion. If latter, I don't need a journal to keep track...because the moment I acknowledge it, I am looking for some gratification either from Consciousness or myself or society.

And what if I open the door for an old lady coming out of bank out of good nature only to find out that she just robbed the bank?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 20, 2008, 02:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Honest words spoken Gopal Bhar... but I had still keep a journal / or note down in a forum, not because I am looking for gratification, but as a motivating factor. That being said, if by my actions (by reading this forum, or my family members reading my journal) others also start doing so, whats the harm. At the end, its all about being more compassionate, always being alert so that no chance to help someone escapes from the grasp of our hands. It is your wish whether to keep a record of it or not. Its the action that matters.
Old September 20, 2008, 02:59 AM

If good is the opposite of evil, does not doing evil deeds count as doing good?

I havent done anything today, surely thats a good deed!
Old September 20, 2008, 03:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

It's only true on the premise that whatever you do is always evil. ie you are satan.

Every action need not be either good or evil. When direct consequence of your action can be measured, then can we only say whether or not you did something good or evil. As of now, you are just a lazy bum who wants free sw'ab.
Old September 20, 2008, 04:10 AM
Test Cricketer

20th Spetember :: My good deed of the day.

Helped an old man carry packets of food from the grocery to his car. The car was only around 10 metres away, so a really small deed. Made me feel better nonetheless.
Old September 20, 2008, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
20th Spetember :: My good deed of the day.

Helped an old man carry packets of food from the grocery to his car. The car was only around 10 metres away, so a really small deed. Made me feel better nonetheless.
I would have thought you were trying to steal my grocery.

S-petember is a hard month to lose your food especially with roja and all. Maybe you will go back to being normal again come Notember and push the old man out of your way - so you can catch your cricket practice on time.

ami right bolchi na? bolo...
Old September 20, 2008, 04:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Yes, you definitely would have thought that Orpheus. People have a tendency to think about the things that they themselves might have done.

Cricket practice.....long time since I have played cricket really....its soccer these days along with watching a LOT of parkour videos on youtube but attempting none of them in reality.... Life is precious...
Old September 20, 2008, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
People have a tendency to think about the things that they themselves might have done..
Ouch!! I will let you have the satisfaction of coming up with this

BUT you are still wrong though. When a pretty girl at night is vigilant for fear of being raped, does that mean - should she get the opportunity with a vigilant pretty boy - she would have ....

ok --- ok.

Really, you might end up being sorry given you are "actively" seeking to help ppl. THe things that you are doing should be passive. Active help should be on grander scale.

Perhaps this example will help you: I ride the subway a lot. And there are always women with baby in stroller trying to get up or down the the subway stairs. Most of them are used to it, and they are expert at it. Now in NYC, everyone being as bz as they are - just go about their own business. So do I. One day, I got off the train and people on that station were rushing to catch the train. So basically everyone is running down the stairs to catch the train. Great. Train is gone and as I was coming up the stair - I saw this pregnant lady with a baby on stroller thinking on how to get down (now this scene would obviously ring a bell to anyone's head... train left.. everyone rushed down... but why is this lady still on top of the stairs?) Why is she taking her time? That is when I offered my help.. and with a sigh of relief she said yes.. and gave me a big thank you and told me no one offered to help thus far (my thought: ofcourse not ppl were trying to catch the train ).

Now, I never help ladies or old man or whoever carry things up and down when they are already doing so. This is not for time but rather for both of our safety. A lot of sh*t can take place while you are trying to help a stranger. God forbid, the the baby falls - who will be held responsible? who will be going to jail? yeah YOU. So there is no need to ACTIVELY take responsibility when the situation do not warrant it.

10 m of help is more for your satisfaction than the satisfaction of the old man.

anyways that was just my 2 c. Maybe you have different perspective on life - for a month ofcourse.
Old September 20, 2008, 05:11 AM
Test Cricketer

The second sentence of yours orphheus, will be one of the reasons all men will be labelled to have a one track mind...couldnt you find anything suitable?

Perhaps I am doing it for my satisfaction, so be it. At the end of the day atleast it makes me feel better about myself when I easily had the option of watching him struggle to carry those goods, even though its just 10 m.

The last sentence of yours took the cake...for one month...Inshallah, no. I am not doing this just because its Ramadan...ramadan is actually got only 10 days left.. Hopefully it will be a life long preoject of random acts of kindness, strangers or not.
Old September 20, 2008, 05:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
random acts of kindness, strangers or not.
again my brother, it may not be so kind to the person you are helping. You have managed to lose the whole point of my lengthy post. I am disappointed. Very!
Old September 20, 2008, 05:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The second sentence of yours orphheus, will be one of the reasons all men will be labelled to have a one track mind...couldnt you find anything suitable?
elaborate! This sentence of yours makes no sense.
Old September 20, 2008, 05:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
again my brother, it may not be so kind to the person you are helping. You have managed to lose the whole point of my lengthy post. I am disappointed. Very!
i did get your point brother but to him his life and to me mine...he has the right to say me NO if he doesnt want my help and i will be leaving him alone. Its not like I am walking around wearing a white t -shirt that says in bold letters, "May I Help You?"

That being said, its not only to people that we can help. How about cleaning the neighbourhood, watering the plants and giving food to animals/birds. My pakistani neighbour always gives grains and leaves water for birds outside...and trust me, you should see the number of birds that come ! Amazing.

Any act that makes you feel better --> Just do it !
Old September 20, 2008, 05:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Any act that makes you feel better --> Just do it !
I totally agree that's why I am gonna ahem now...ok brb
Old September 20, 2008, 06:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I totally agree that's why I am gonna ahem now...ok brb
LOL...you are a true LEGEND !
Old September 20, 2008, 12:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:

I like that.
I havent done anything wrong today, intentionally.
Or, things that are wrong in my book.

That means i have done a good thing by not doing anything bad.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 20, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

I'd like to argue that point. So you are saying if x is opposite of y, and if I don't choose x then I am automatically choosing y?

What if x=black, y= white? If I don't choose black, I choose white?

Sorry, can't be with you on this one.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 20, 2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
I'd like to argue that point. So you are saying if x is opposite of y, and if I don't choose x then I am automatically choosing y?

What if x=black, y= white? If I don't choose black, I choose white?

Sorry, can't be with you on this one.
No point arguing. Orpheus has demonstrated that I'm a lazy bum who wants free goodies. His life is now complete. Yours should be too.
Old September 21, 2008, 03:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Haven't done anything worthwhile today, till now atleast.

Just a request to all BC members. Join or check out this group in facebook : BONNY fan Club.
Old September 27, 2008, 11:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

We ran out of our steam on good deeds?

C'mon fellas, and ladies.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Its hard finding "new" good deeds to be done. Almost everyday the deeds are similar to the ones done before.

9th October 2008 - One of my cricket mad uncle had no source to get to know the scores and updates of todays match. I kept him informed.....A VERY GOOD DEED (ask any Bangladesh cricket fan) !
Old October 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
Cricket Sage

last night I decided to sleep instead of following the game in the internet and then go to work exhausted and have a unproductive day at work... it may sound like a stupid decision to an average cricket fan... but I think I did a good deed to the tax payers as I get my salary from their tax money.