facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 2, 2006, 05:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Converter (220v to 120v)

Hello Brothers,
Has anyone ever used a 220v to 120v converter overseas (i.e. Bangladesh,London)?
I have some bad experiences with the ones I have used. If you have used some and it worked for you with no problems then please let me know the brand and where you got it from. I will really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old July 2, 2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

When you are using converters, make sure the converter can provde enough power (watts). Check how many devices you are going to plug-in and total watts requirements. If it is higher than what converter can provide, then it may overload the converter and fail it. Also, don't get something that is at the edge. Like if your device takes 100Watts, then don't buy a converter that is exactly 100watts. At least have 20/30watts above.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old July 3, 2006, 09:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Thanks Nasif Bhai.
Old July 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceoff
Hello Brothers,
Has anyone ever used a 220v to 120v converter overseas (i.e. Bangladesh,London)?
I have some bad experiences with the ones I have used. If you have used some and it worked for you with no problems then please let me know the brand and where you got it from. I will really appreciate it.
Thanks.
I used to use one in Germany for most electronics items- TV, DVD etc..
I bought one used...don't remember the brand.
But to run my phone with answering machine, I used a very compact converter made by RCA. I think this is the product:
RCA Foreign Voltage Adapter Kit (AH260R)

Going Europe this summer?
Old July 3, 2006, 10:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
I used to use one in Germany for most electronics items- TV, DVD etc..
I bought one used...don't remember the brand.
But to run my phone with answering machine, I used a very compact converter made by RCA. I think this is the product:
RCA Foreign Voltage Adapter Kit (AH260R)

Going Europe this summer?
Thanks for the info. December e Bangladeshe jaowar prepartion aarki and may be europe on my way back.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Bumping up this old thread...

I'm getting a bunch of these for move to Bangladesh:

http://www.amazon.com/SIMRAN-CONVERT.../dp/B000W9DJ1Q

Basically gonna use it for the 360 (takes about 160W) and old XBox (about 74W), and some misc stuff that need much less power... anyone got any opinion on this?

One thing I notice is that the source plug has no ground pin... :X
Old February 15, 2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
Bumping up this old thread...

I'm getting a bunch of these for move to Bangladesh:

http://www.amazon.com/SIMRAN-CONVERT.../dp/B000W9DJ1Q

Basically gonna use it for the 360 (takes about 160W) and old XBox (about 74W), and some misc stuff that need much less power... anyone got any opinion on this?

One thing I notice is that the source plug has no ground pin... :X
I have 30W transformers bought from DHaka Stadium for Tk.150 each that does a great job for low power things such as my router, dvd player and cordless phone bases.

None of the transformers I've bought have ever had a grounding pin, which would be extremely useful in BD since these things keep falling off from the wall sockets.

I bought a 1500W transformer from Canada (for irons, hair dryers, etc while travelling), to run the new DVD player I'd bought. It was too high power and kept cutting the tiny 1 Amp fuse inside the DVD player. The fuse is easily replaceable (they cost 5tk each in Dhaka), but I really didnt have a use for the converter any more. I ended up trading it with a friend who gave me his 30W locally purchased transformer.

Given these experiences I bought from ebay an aftermarket dc adapter once, for my d-link router that works on 110-240V. I'd recommend you buy those if you can and bring them to dhaka instead of relying on converters wholly. Otherwise the product you've linked to looks quite good, not too high power.
Old February 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

based on my experience with low watt devices, the Bangladeshi/Chinese made voltage converter works pretty well.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

by the converter from bd. that way you know it will work. i bought one for xbox and it wasn't working and then i had to buy another one from bd
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 16, 2009, 03:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

I have the other problem. I have an electric toothbrush that runs on 120V. Does anyone know where i can get a converter to run in 220v in dhaka?
Old February 16, 2009, 09:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samircreep
I have the other problem. I have an electric toothbrush that runs on 120V. Does anyone know where i can get a converter to run in 220v in dhaka?
Dhaka stadium? Probably any small step-down converter will do... can't imagine that thing drawing much power.
Old February 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

BTW, after more research I've discovered that the xbox 360 actually does up to 257W max. So, the Simran won't cut it for that. Anything I can get here to support that much power would be too much weight to put in checked baggage... with the limitations these days. So I'll just have to get one in Dhaka...
Old February 16, 2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
BTW, after more research I've discovered that the xbox 360 actually does up to 257W max. So, the Simran won't cut it for that. Anything I can get here to support that much power would be too much weight to put in checked baggage... with the limitations these days. So I'll just have to get one in Dhaka...
While you have the time, you should try to get a 220V XBox Adapter from ebay. Try from www.ebay.co.uk... or the Chinese sellers shipping out from Hong Kong and China.

Trust me, it'll save you the trouble of going to Dhaka Stadium and finding an adapter that may not match the exact specs. Its extremely hard to find appropriate power cables for things like these in Dhaka. Either you'll get lucky, or you'll have to solder together something to make things run right. I am speaking from experience in that I had to shell out Tk.750 for an adapter that doesnt exactly meet the requirements for the logitech joystick my friend gave me.

See these ebay links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Power-S...mZ260363033083 This will be a steal if you can win it - Low Price, Low shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-360-110-V-o...mZ270343603246

You will however find bulky converters similar to these in size and shape at Dhaka Stadium though, and they'll set you back Tk.1200+ each. Alternatively you could buy a higher watt transformer like this one from ebay.
Old February 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

That Euro one is a nice find... I'm actually going to the UK in April... I was thinking of buying an UK 360 power adapter there. I could live without the 360 for few weeks, I guess.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-360-Power-S...mZ260363033083 This will be a steal if you can win it - Low Price, Low shipping.
Hah, looks like the dude realized his mistake... he's changed starting bid from $0.01 to $49.99 now.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Hah, looks like the dude realized his mistake... he's changed starting bid from $0.01 to $49.99 now.
He's an idiot. He's only shipping to US... and thats a 220V UK plug. I'll lose faith in humanity if someone actually buys it from him now.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:55 PM
Cricket Legend

So yesterday I went to Gulshan-1 market and was guided to a shop with just one old power transformer rated for 1000W. More than enough for 360. It's made in Japan (Sugano Electornics) and looks like it was made in the 60's and discarded recently from an embassy. So far it's working great, not overheating or anything. Cost BDT 3000, which is a fair price considering that it weighs at least 40 lbs and would have cost over $100 easily in US.

BTW, already burnt out one of the Simran 200W transformers. My fault... accidentally overloaded it.
Old March 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Goru in Gulshan 1 !!!!!!!!!!! Whats going on? Vacation or have you left USA for good ?
Old March 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

So that's why Goru hasn't been heard from. Goru my man, how you going to download, ahem with poor internet speeds in Dhaka?
Old March 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Goru in Gulshan 1 !!!!!!!!!!! Whats going on? Vacation or have you left USA for good ?
Both. Moving to London next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
So that's why Goru hasn't been heard from. Goru my man, how you going to download, ahem with poor internet speeds in Dhaka?
I have 1TB of "ahem" that's never been touched. Although, I have no privacy here whatsoever anyway...
Old March 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Speaking of xbox 360 adaptors - I took a 360 for my nephews in Dhaka last Feb. I just bought it here and so had the 110 power adaptor. We did have some 110-220 transformers but many appliances were competing for them.

I went to Rifles Square and bought a 220v xbox360 adaptor. I had forgotten how to bargain and probably paid too much for it (3500 taka).

It workslike a charm and my nephews are Halo 3ing like crazy.
Old March 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I went to Rifles Square and bought a 220v xbox360 adaptor. I had forgotten how to bargain and probably paid too much for it (3500 taka).
I'll just buy one of those in the UK once I get there... found some on ebay.co.uk rather cheap...
Old May 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Noob question:

For devices that say "~100 - 240v" on it, does that mean a converter is not required to use that device in Bangladesh? All you would need is an adapter (that changes the pin configuration) right?
Old May 22, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
Noob question:

For devices that say "~100 - 240v" on it, does that mean a converter is not required to use that device in Bangladesh? All you would need is an adapter (that changes the pin configuration) right?
For 100-240v, you don't need a converter in Bangladesh.

Don't buy the adapter from US. Once you reach BD, go get the multipliers. These I didn't see in market 6/7 yrs ago when I went. These multipliers are setup to act as adapters for almost ALL sizes of plugs. I used my laptop, charged camera battery, charged my cell phone...all with the same multiplier.

Take it easy. Most electronics now will support 100-240.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
For 100-240v, you don't need a converter in Bangladesh.

Don't buy the adapter from US. Once you reach BD, go get the multipliers. These I didn't see in market 6/7 yrs ago when I went. These multipliers are setup to act as adapters for almost ALL sizes of plugs. I used my laptop, charged camera battery, charged my cell phone...all with the same multiplier.

Take it easy. Most electronics now will support 100-240.
Thanks a lot, Kabir bhai. I just want to run my laptop, phone, and camera ... and they all have 100-240 V written on them.

I actually bought two adapters from the States (found 'em dirt cheap at an electronics store that was closing down). I think the ones I bought are also multipliers. They seem to have plug-in capabilities for many different types of pins. I hope those will work ... if not, I can always buy some from BD as you did.