facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Predict ZIM home series outcome
Bangladesh 5-0 32 52.46%
Bangladesh 4-1 23 37.70%
Bangladesh 3-2 5 8.20%
Zimbabwe 3-2 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Question BD-ZIM home series outcomes, make your picks now!!!

just like the last series, lets see what happens and who the smart-pant winners are.

Recent Head to Head:

in Zimbabwe, August 2009: Bangladesh won 4-1
in Bangladesh, January 2009: Matches drawn 2-2 (Bangladesh won series 2-1)

Matchups:

Tamim vs Masakadza - Both batsmen have recently been pummeling opposing bowlers into submission; the battle between the two openers will thus be the most exciting game within the game. Expect Tamim to win out on familiar pitches, but be prepared for a Maskadza surprise.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Junaid vs Vermeleun - Both of these batsmen can score decent knocks against top opposition, but usually they are overshadowed by their flashier or more talented teamates. The guys will likely have some single digit scores and a 50 here and there. (Advantage Even)

Ashraful vs Coventry - Each scored a century in their previous head to head series, but were mostly quiet the remainder of the matches. Both batsmen are struggling to shrug of the tag of inconsistency that is obvious from their early 20 averages. It is impossible to say who will win this battle, but BD fans yearn for a day when it would simply be based on talent. Nonetheless, an extremely even matchup is pipped only slightly by Ash's numerous match-winners against both strong and weak opposition.
(Advantage Even)

Raqib vs Taibu - The Rock's form has been patchy at best although he performed decently in Zimbabwe. If he keeps things simple, he can be a highly productive force, proven by the fact that he owns the 2nd highest average on his team. His African counterpart returns after a long ban, and may struggle to find form early. However, Taibu too can be a prolific accumulator, although he lacks the match-winning firepower of a Chigumbura or Taylor. Expect gritty batting from both men, with form favoring the Rock.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Sakib vs Taylor - The are two guys who play nerveless cricket. Fans from either side will never forget the amazing comeback and game-clinching six by Taylor against Bangladesh in 2006. Sakib on the other hand, will bat, field, and bowl with the best of them, and will likely captain the side in the absence of injured skipper, Mortaza. Sakib is a better batsmen, but his ability to impact the game on all fronts translates into Bangladesh's biggest edge.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Mushfiq vs Williams - Both are solid batsmen, possibly their respective teams' bests. Rahim is the better batter, but Williams can affect the game with the ball as well. In addition, the Bangladeshi stumper is likely to give a few free-bees away with his oft-sloppy glovework.
(Advantage Even)

Naeem vs Chigumbura - This is Zimbabwe's best matchup. Chigumbura is a poor-man's Yuvraj Singh, and his explosiveness with the bat down the order is phenomenal. Naeem's only shot of competing would be to move up the order, but that is unlikely. No offense to Naeem Islam, but Chigumbura and Zimbabwe run away with this one.
(Advantage Zimbabwe)

Riyad vs Price - Price is very accurate, and has gotten under the Bangladeshi's skin on multiple occaisions. He can also bat a bit too. Riyad is a decent all-round prospect, and his batting edge evens this matchup a good bit.
(Advantage Even)

Enamul vs Utseya - Utseya looked quite shabby against Bangladesh recently, averaging just 70 with the ball. His strength had been tidy bowling spells, but the Bangladeshi batsmen look comfy against him nowadays. He may get some advantage for the subcontinental pitches, but Enam would get just as much. If Enam can bowl moderately well, this will be a huge edge for BD, thats just how ordinary the Zimbabwean captain is.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Rubel vs Jarvis - Both men are young and raw. Pace is their trade, and experience favors the young Rubel Hossain who has a decent record against Zimbabwe thus far. It will be a very exciting battle as speedy battles usually are. Jarvis may also tend to get hit a bit if he doesn't watch his line and length bowling to the likes of Tamim Iqbal.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Rasel vs Mpofu - Mpofu has seen limited action recently, and is probably not better than Rainsford and Mupariwa. Although they seemed rather ineffective against Bangladesh a couple of months ago. Rasel will be hoping to keep things tight, and perhaps the sluggish tracks in Dhaka and Chittagong will suit him better than Bulawayo's flat tracks.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Overall Advantage:

Bangladesh 6-1 (out of 11)

#OneTeam1Dream

Old October 18, 2009, 12:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

All said and done, we should win the series 5-0.
No excuse.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 18, 2009, 12:45 PM
Cricket Sage

voted 3-2 last time, cuz i was scared we might actually lose the away series. but now, even though i think 4-1 win from our end is most likely, i voted 5-0 in the hopes that i could win bragging rights!!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Lol What about Zimbabwe 5-0 and 4-1?

I'm not sure which way to go. It is still not known whether Mash and/or Shakib will be fit or not. If we have both of them then I am pretty sure we will win 5-0 or 4-1 but without them I think it will be 3-2.
Old October 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I will predict it at the end of the 5th game
Old October 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Loved the comparison. Although, I'd compare Coventry's batting with Shakib eventhough he is not an all rounder.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 18, 2009, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Loved the comparison. Although, I'd compare Coventry's batting with Shakib eventhough he is not an all rounder.
i tried to do it based on predicted batting order. our order is pretty set, and zim's may be unfamiliar.

but after his innings today, masakadza will open as will vermy. coventry hit his famous 194* batting at one down, which is where ash has been for a while now. chiggy comes at 6 or 7, shakib at 5. i had to speculate on williams and taylor's positions but there weren't that many options left so the job was a bit easier.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 18, 2009, 03:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean Williams

Ryaid over Price? Shakib a better batsman than Taylor? Rahim a better batsman that Williams? Look at the stats people.

Sorry but i feel that the head to head match up was false especially as the Zimbabwe team that was analysed was in fact not the team that will be starting in the first ODI. So I have taken the opportunity to respond by conducting by own match ups.

Zimbabwe’s batting order is based on recent selections and NOT what I think it should be.

Matchups:

Tamim vs Masakadza – Two explosive openers in great form. Both have achieved consistency this year and have manged to boost there averages to the magic 30 mark. I think that Tamim has the edge here as Masakadza has not always had the best of times in Asia and there is still a question mark over his performance against a decent spin attack
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Junaid vs Vermeleun – There are two sides of Mark Vermulen, the dashing right handed opening batsman who can score boundries at will or the conservative opening bat who puts scoreboard pressure on himself. Has performed well since his comeback but needs to start to convert 50’s into 100’s. Junaid is good for a quick 30 or 40 but is yet to play a big innings hand has real problems playing the short ball. Think Vermulen has a better all-round game here.
(Advantage Zimbabwe)

Ashraful vs Mutizwa – Yes it is likely that Mutizwa will bat 3 after two impressive outings against Kenya and a year of strong domestic performances. A natural strokemaker very much in the mould of Ashraful, he has managed to move Coventry down the order. Ashraful is so talented but lacks discipline needed to be consistent. However im giving Ashraful the nod here as Mutizwa is yet to play in Bangladesh.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Taylor vs Rock – Has to be Taylor here, he is in my opinion Zimbabwes best batsman and has a fantastic abilty to keep the score moving in singles and then to accelrate when needed with some lusty blows, can adapt well to different situations. The Rock looks a good solid player rather than a spectacular one but does play straight but can have trouble raising the run rate.
(Advantage Zimbabwe)

Shakib vs Williams or Coventry – Looks like there is only room for one of them after Matsikenyeri and Mutizwa’s good recent form. And we all know that Matsikenyeri is never dropped. But to be honest Shakib is better than both of them with the bat alone, he has a fantastic ability to change a game as soon as he walk to the crease and he is just as good with the ball as well, you have a top allround cricketer in Shakib al Hasan (still think Taylor is a better batsman)
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Rahim v Matsikenyeri – Even though Matsikenyeri has shown recent signs of improvement I have to go for Rahim here who I think is the complete player, can play spin and pace well and is good between the wickets. Needs to work on his batting at the death.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Naeem vs Chigumbura – Chigumbura gets it hear but to be honest its fairly close considering Chigumbura’s recent form with the ball which has been appaling. His batting has been great over the last year but he needs to perform with the ball or Zimbabwe will not win this series. Naeem looks a stop gap to me before a better player comes along. Can offer useful contributions with both bat and ball but is not consistent enough with either.
(Advantage Zimbabwe)

Ryiad v Utseya – Ryiad is a cricketer I like very much as he uses his head as can adapt well to the situation. I think he has the edge over Utseya here as although he has just had a decent series against Kenya his bowling has been poor over the last year and for some reason he think he can bat.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Enamul vs Price- Zimbabwe’s best bowler here and he can be a nightmare to get away for the batsman. Has been top draw over the last two years and we all love to see the battle between him and Ashraful again, plays with pride and passion that makes me proud to be Zimbabwean.. Enamul is learning to art of bowling in ODI’s in my opinion and I rate him but not sure if he is a wicket taking option.
(Advantage Zimbabwe)

Rubel vs Cremer – Yes that’s right Zimbabwe are defiantly going in with three spinners as they have played them in the last 6 ODI’s. Cremer is the most attacking of the bowlers but can go for runs. But he can offer runs from number 10. Rubel looks a good prospect for Bangladesh very mush like Jarvis is for Zimbabwe. Wild action which will trouble a few of the Zimbabwe batsman I think.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

Rasel v Jarvis – Jarvis is raw and talented and has to be eased into the side, showed promise against Kenya but doesn’t match up to Rasel here who is an experienced bowler who has a good slower ball. The great thing about Rasel is that he can always be relied on to do what the skipper wants.
(Advantage Bangladesh)

7-4 Bangladesh

That makes for a 4-1 or 3-2 to Bangladesh here is think. But hey anything can happen

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE ADDED VALUE OF TEAM SPIRIT AND PASSION WHICH ZIMBABWE HAVE
Old October 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimfan
Shakib a better batsman than Taylor? Look at the stats people.
Shakib's ODI average is 34.6 while taylors ODI average is 31.26. Shakib has 3 odi hundreds to his name while taylor has none. And if you look at shakibs average against zimbabwe it is 39 while taylors average against bangladesh is 31.
Old October 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean Williams

Ok fair point i took Shakibs ODI average as his test average by mistake (im bad)

Still dont think there is enough evidence there to say there is much between the two.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib al Hasan

Why Enamul is in the match ups ,we should have considered Razzak instead of him because Razzak is available for the series i think.

Last edited by shajib14; October 18, 2009 at 04:38 PM..
Old October 18, 2009, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

only time will tell.. lets just wait n watch as the action unfolds... we dont even know if mash/sakib are playin...hmmm....
Old October 18, 2009, 04:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Enamul is not going to play this time, i believe it will be Rajjak
Old October 18, 2009, 04:53 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Bangladesh played total 42 ODI against Zimbabwe so far. Win-Loss stat is even for both team: 21-21! BD played 19 odi at home (vs Zim) and won 10 of them!

Scorecard BD's 10 win at home - source- cricketarchive.com

26 Jan 2005 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2004/05 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong o2212
29 Jan 2005 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2004/05 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o2214
31 Jan 2005 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2004/05 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o2217
30 Nov 2006 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2006/07 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bir Shrestha Shahid Flight Lieutenant Motiur Rahman Stadium, Khulna o2453
03 Dec 2006 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2006/07 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shaheed Chandu Stadium, Bogra o2457
05 Dec 2006 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2006/07 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shaheed Chandu Stadium, Bogra o2459
08 Dec 2006 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2006/07 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2461
09 Dec 2006 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2006/07 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2462
21 Jan 2009 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2008/09 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2799
23 Jan 2009 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2008/09 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2802

Scorecard BD's 9 loss at home -

21 Mar 1999 Meril International Tournament 1998/99 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o1414
25 Mar 1999 Meril International Tournament 1998/99 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o1420
23 Nov 2001 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2001/02 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong o1773
25 Nov 2001 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2001/02 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o1774
26 Nov 2001 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2001/02 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o1775
20 Jan 2005 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2004/05 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka o2207
24 Jan 2005 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2004/05 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong o2210
10 Jan 2009 Bangladesh Tri-Series 2008/09 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2790
19 Jan 2009 Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2008/09 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur o2797
Old October 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
Enamul is not going to play this time, i believe it will be Rajjak
I hope selectors would play the best possible side we have; they should also try atleast one of these promising players like Marshall Ayub, Sohrawardy or Nasir this time around.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
Cricket Sage

good work zimfan, good write up. can't really disagree, altho i still back my match-ups

zimbabwe certainly seem to be a much better batting unit than before. i wish they played against the to 8 sides to see how they fare there vis a vis bangladesh.

do you know the next time zim is scheduled to play a top 8 side, zimfan?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

I voted for 5-0 clean sweep. But it all depends on Mash and Sakib's inclusion. If they are not playing then I would say 3-2 for BD. Yes they are that important! Especially Sakib!

As far as Enamul and Razzak goes, I would personally pick Sohrawardy Shuvo in this series before either one, although I know that the selectors will not choose him.

Lets see how it all comes about!
Old October 18, 2009, 05:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajib14
I hope selectors would play the best possible side we have; they should also try atleast one of these promising players like Marshall Ayub, Sohrawardy or Nasir this time around.
This is absolutely right Shajib bhai! I completely agree and specially for those 3 that you mentioned, Marshall, Suhwardy and Nasir, no doubt.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

We will crush them. To the point of humiliation.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Is there any other way to crush someone?
Old October 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
This is absolutely right Shajib bhai! I completely agree and specially for those 3 that you mentioned, Marshall, Suhwardy and Nasir, no doubt.
Thanks B K Bhai
Old October 18, 2009, 06:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

5-0 Bangladesh. Nothing more need be said.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
i love ATMR's fake hyper-arrogance...kind of like hubritic cricket jingoism.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Check this out:

CK Coventry 194* 156 16 7 124.35 Zimbabwe v Bangladesh Bulawayo 16 Aug 2009 ODI # 2873
Saeed Anwar 194 146 22 5 132.87 Pakistan v India Chennai 21 May 1997 ODI # 1209
IVA Richards 189* 170 21 5 111.17 West Indies v England Manchester 31 May 1984 ODI # 264
ST Jayasuriya 189 161 21 4 117.39 Sri Lanka v India Sharjah 29 Oct 2000 ODI # 1652
G Kirsten 188* 159 13 4 118.23 South Africa v U.A.E. Rawalpindi 16 Feb 1996 ODI # 1049
SR Tendulkar 186* 150 20 3 124.00 India v New Zealand Hyderabad (Decc) 8 Nov 1999 ODI # 1523
MS Dhoni 183* 145 15 10 126.20 India v Sri Lanka Jaipur 31 Oct 2005 ODI # 2290
SC Ganguly 183 158 17 7 115.82 India v Sri Lanka Taunton 26 May 1999 ODI # 1463
ML Hayden 181* 166 11 10 109.03 Australia v New Zealand Hamilton 20 Feb 2007 ODI # 2527
IVA Richards 181 125 16 7 144.80 West Indies v Sri Lanka Karachi 13 Oct 1987 ODI # 457
H Masakadza 178* 167 17 5 106.58 Zimbabwe v Kenya Harare 18 Oct 2009 ODI # 2912

2 Zimbabweans in the top 10 list of highest runs in a ODI innings. I would be DELIGHTED if we could pull off something similar to this. Granted, they were against weaker opposition. But, so what? How many times have we played "minnows" yet failed to capitlize on blazing records?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimfan
Ok fair point i took Shakibs ODI average as his test average by mistake (im bad)

Still dont think there is enough evidence there to say there is much between the two.
though i agree more with ur analysis more then the dude who opened it but i dont agree with you on this statement ... there is a reason he has been named #1 odi allrounder ... 4th in test if not mistaken and not to mention taylor is no were close to top 10 man ... but neitherless good analysis on the other stuffs well said