facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 8, 2004, 05:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default BD players should go abroad and play?

BD players should go abroad and play as this will help them in the long run. A player like Bashar who is by far the best in Bangldaesh should play in either Australia, India or even England as it will definitely improve him as a player. i swear Islam Rana was in england last summer playing for a local cricket team and look at what he has done in the test arena.

Going abroad would ensure that the BD players, play against good players and wickets.

What do u guys think?

Old March 8, 2004, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Its not as easy as you think it is. Seeking a cricket career in one of those developed countries is same as a job hunt. Even for the top players, it will be a tough task to get hold of a contract with some local clubs. Although I believe this will change soon, and at least some of our promising young players will get invitations/proposals from clubs overseas. Visa might be a problem too for some of the players. I recall the 2001 incident where a country like canada denied 6 nepalese national cricketers visa because of suspicion that they will not return to Nepal after the completion of the tournament. And here we're talking about full-term employment. So it won't be as easy as you think it might be. However, its very much possible for the top players, who actually perform good at the highest level. But for BD players in general, nope.
Old March 8, 2004, 06:30 AM
First Class Cricketer

Cant the better BD players at least go and join a team in either neighbouring India or Pakistan? The set up in these two countries is surely better than the one in Bangladesh? The likes of Rafique and Bashar could definetly join a team in those countries.
Old March 8, 2004, 06:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, Sumon and Rafique probably would qualify for the teams in our neighbouring countries. But you just don't go to a club and ask them "will you hire me?". Besides, I am not sure whether they allow foreign players in the Ranji Trophy league or other quality domestic competetions. To improve our cricket, we must improve the domestic infrastructures. All the top teams now, didn't arrive at where they are today by sending their players to other countries. Those who managed contracts with English county, or elsewhere, did that on the basis of their personal performance. You won't make our cricket better just by transporting the cricketers abroad. It has to come from our own circuit. And if some of our players do get such mouth-watering offers from counties or elsewhere, cheers to them. They'll enrich their wallet, besides having some valuable experience. But from an over-all point of view, it will have little effect on "Bangladesh Cricket".

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Carte Blanche]
Old March 8, 2004, 06:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

yo whats the state of BD cricket domestically, are the teams regional or state sponsored coz i remember teams like biman, but now they are called by city names like Dhaka and Sylhet. Could anyone explain this to me?
Old March 8, 2004, 11:02 AM
Cricket Guru

The neighboring countries of us (ind,pak and all) are selfish ...both of them are even rivals of each other..all they know how to fight ..so they wont even let us improve. we have to improve our own and then go there and beat them.
Old March 8, 2004, 11:43 AM
Cricket Legend

fy:

the first class 4 day league only has divisional teams - 6 regions - dhaka, chiitagong, rajshahi, sylhet, khulna, barisal. they also play a one day format, and I think some additional teams may be allowed there but not many - eg this year BCB development team played in that league. the dhaka metro league, and other city metro leagues, are now relegated in importance - no idea when they play but some of the first class players are also on these club teams. eg alamgur kabir, rajin came from city club if i remember correctly.

the national players hardly play any club or first class cricket in bangladesh. in my opinion that is one of the bigger problems. that is a bad for the national players - they should be in competitve cricket and not in a separate training camp all the time in my opinion. it's also bad for the league because it is deprived of the best players.

although this year the national players did play a few games between tours, but they keep changing the rules around that every year.

what is also needed is a lot more money in sponsorships. the ill gotten gains of many leading business enterprises in bangladesh could be made halal by sponsoring cricket - a win-win proposal in my opinion.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
yo whats the state of BD cricket domestically, are the teams regional or state sponsored coz i remember teams like biman, but now they are called by city names like Dhaka and Sylhet. Could anyone explain this to me?
Old March 8, 2004, 01:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

My understanding of this topic is as follows. Traditionally 1st class team status has been accorded to regional or state team defined by a geographic area. The English with their couinties: Sussex, Glamorgan, the Aussies with Victoria, Tasmania etc. The First one to break this model was Pakistan with the recognition of city/illage patronised teams like Dera Ismail Khan (sic?) and then with PIA and Habib Bank as first class 'office' teams. Now it is a free for all. If BCCI wanted to recognise a Banglacricket.com team as a first class entity, there might not be much the ICC could do about it.
Old March 9, 2004, 07:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Animul Islam is abroad in Australia playing cricket for a club team, and he may be chosen for the BD 'A' team to play zimbabwe 'A'