facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 3, 2011, 05:04 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default Economist article on present close relationships between India & BD

Highlights
1) Confirms many of us suspected - that AL enjoys strong Indian patronage
2) Provides a verification to what many of us assert her to our Indian forum visitors - that hostility to India is not as wide-spread as they think

http://www.economist.com/node/21524917

Old August 3, 2011, 07:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I'm very distrustful of this railroad thing to connect the Seven Sister's through our land. I don't have problems if we got guarantees of water and border issues.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 3, 2011, 09:41 PM

And Foreign Minister's disgust at the said "Smear Bangladesh" campaign article!

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=2&id=202570&hb=top
Old August 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

so here's a question: is the AL closer to India than the BNP is to Pakistan?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 3, 2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I know which one is better for the country in the long run, and it isn't the relationship with our 'brothers' in Pakistan or their f-ed up ideology. How many thousands of Pakistani civilians have the Allah fearing militansts killed in places like Karachi this year alone?

Give me the option of Indian onions and cattle flooding this country, or stone age Neanderthals trying to tell me how I should live my personal life and the sort of society we should strive for, I choose India everyday of the week, and twice on Friday.

Why are people against this issue of Transit? Why do you care? Personally I don't give a damn about big slogans about our sovereignty etc etc. If the BNP weren't opposing this for the sake of opposing it, would this even be an issue?

I liked what the FM had to say, no one has transit rights, yet our ports were handling 10 trucks worth of arms intended for which country? What was out status as a sovereign state when this was happening?

I hope we become even bigger bosom buddies with India.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: ShakTikMashNasir(ShakV2)

BAL is closer to India doesn't mean BNP is closer to Pakis.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:00 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Making the excuse of "its better than being buddies with Pakistan" is really not a valid arguement here. Why does it have to be an option between India or Pakistan? We should do what serves our country best and think about other country's interest as a distant secondary goal. We don't need to suck up to India and we definitely need to stay the f*** away from extremist infested Pakistan.
The matter of Transit needs to be discussed and debated in the Parliament so that the we know what are the pros and cons regarding the deal... although I doubt the two ladies would stop their eternal chulachuli and bring some sort of sanity back into our politics
Old August 4, 2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
If you're talking about governments and state actors, then why ask about "Pakistan"? China is more plausible, but to claim BNP is "close" to Pakistan (in the same manner as AL is "close" to India) is extremely difficult to validate.

However, it is plausible to claim that BNP's underlings (that Rajshahi MP sponsor of Bangla Bhai, SaQa Chy, Nizami and the bearded ones) had "close ties" to Pakistani fundoos. The Same way that AL's underlings (the BCL, Jubo League running amok with crime) is being protected by AL.

Either way, the Economist article cannot be blamed as being "baseless" and a "canard". They broadly cover pretty much all the debates regarding the issue within Bangladesh, and how AL is sucking up to India, and while on paper this relationship should benefit both parties, in reality its more one-sided to India's favours.

More importantly I'm extremely worried about the implications of the 15th Amendment which makes it illegal to criticise the government, gives it broad powers to silence and repress opposition, denies the existence of indigenous populations, etc.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Making the excuse of "its better than being buddies with Pakistan" is really not a valid arguement here. Why does it have to be an option between India or Pakistan? We should do what serves our country best and think about other country's interest as a distant secondary goal. We don't need to suck up to India and we definitely need to stay the f*** away from extremist infested Pakistan.
The matter of Transit needs to be discussed and debated in the Parliament so that the we know what are the pros and cons regarding the deal... although I doubt the two ladies would stop their eternal chulachuli and bring some sort of sanity back into our politics
Who is going to debate it? When was the last time the Parliament had a real debate about anything? The AL will propose whatever, and BNP will oppose it for the sake of politics, BNP will propose something and AL will return the favor. When was the last time, the AL/BNP praised a single initiative by the other?

More importantly, what I am truly sick of is hearing, we the people supposedly want to topple our govts? Just about no other country(other than the freaks in Thailand) make it their main purpose in opposition to be, the forced downfall of elected govts, before the end of their terms.

"Notun shorkar power-e escheche, start the countdown to our street agitations for the democratic rights of the people"

The retards in Thailand - lets put on yellow and red t-shirts and sit around occupying city centres...hahaha.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

India had come to close for comfort really.
A visit by Sonia Gandhi, Chidambaram and Manmohan Singh in a span of 40 days is not purely coincidental.

The transit issue is overly debated.
IMHO, I think its great for the country, but the extent of the agreement has to be made public.
What are the benefits of Bangladesh here ??
Are we given transit to Nepal and Bhutan??
Are those two countries are allowed to use Mongla/Ctg Port as their Port of Choice ??
Are Bangladeshi trucks/trailers allowed to enter Nepal and Bhutan territory crossing india ??
Are Bangladeshi trucks/trailers are allowed to enter Petrapole and upto Kolkata Port ?? OR
Is it ONLY indian trucks/trailers doing the job ??
Are the cargoes going to be trans-shipped at Benapole/Petropole border ??
Or is it the indian companies doing the logistics part and we are just a mere host ???

What are the clause regarding carriage of UN Classified Dangerous Cargo, which includes arms, weapons and explosive ??

Many questions come into mind.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 4, 2011, 01:25 AM

The report is a pure crap written by someone from Dhaka. Not a single officials quote, verification from either side of the country is there in entire report, not even a single exact official statement that could link to any of the craps has been written. No indication/intention is there of obvious journalistic connection to any well-known authorized person for comment or opinion on any of the issues, rather than most convenient 'some people says' as backup. Which firmly confirms a laptop and a motivated crack head with ability to read few news papers regularly, was enough as a source.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

This was written by a former Ambassador(very well respected diplomat) a little while ago. I think it explains some of the issues without the political rhetoric....

Quote:
A debate has been raging in the country on whether transit facilities should be given to India or not through the land territory of Bangladesh. Some argue that it should not be given unless some core bilateral issues with India are resolved, while some have advanced the view that transit is an economic issue for trade facilitation and should not be politicized. Some have argued that what India wants is not a transit but a corridor. Whichever view one holds, the fact of the matter is that transit issue is a complex one. It is a multi-faceted issue.

I shall discuss it in the following paragraphs:

Difference between the three concepts: Corridor/Transit/Transhipment:
The connotation of transit is to be distinguished from that of a corridor. In the corridor, a country gives some kind of rights or control on the land to the other country making it a defacto of its territory, while in transit there is no question of rights involved in the land territory allowed for transit. It provides only transit facilities under certain conditions and can be withdrawn.
For example, under the Bangladesh-India 1974 Land Boundary Agreement, Bangladesh wanted a lease in perpetuity an area of India’s territory 178 metres X 85 metres near Tin Bigha to connect enclave Dahagram with main land of Bangladesh. But eventually Bangladesh did not get “corridor” from India. In pre-partition days, Jinnah wanted a corridor from East Pakistan to West Pakistan through India but India rejected it because Pakistan would have control on the land territory of the corridor. Russia wants a corridor from its territory Kaliningrad to Russia’s mainland through Lithuania but it has been rejected because of the same reasons. In the instant case, India wants to dispatch goods and other materials from western parts of India to its seven land-locked northeastern states through Bangladesh and no kind of rights exists on the land territory of Bangladesh. This is transit, an inter-country passage, like waterway-transit already provided to India since 1972.

Transhipment is distinct from transit. Transhipment refers to the same inter-country passage using Bangladeshi-owned transportation, whereas in transit Indian –owned surface transport move through the transit from one end to the other. In Europe, Germany or Austria sends goods to Italy through Switzerland. Another instance of transit, Alaska dispatches goods to mainland US through Canada.

Is transit an economic issue?
Some argue transit is an economic issue. It facilitates trade and therefore it may be perceived as such. I would argue that this is conceivable but for most of the cases political relations define economic relations. In other words, political relations cannot be separated from economic relations. History is replete with examples of friendly political relations providing the climate
and the incentive for forging closer economic relations. It has been seen that in most case progression has been from close political relations to the deepening of economic relations. For example, why does Bangladesh not have economic relations with Israel? It is because there is no political relationship with that country. Political relationships that are not characterized by mistrust or suspicion allow first steps in economic relationship which would then expand and generate vigorous inter-state economic activities.

In that context, for creating an appropriate political climate, India has to come up with fair and just proposals to resolve some of the bilateral issues that affect Bangladesh people with “bread and butter issues”. The issues of top priority are (a) maritime boundary, (b) land boundary including the exchange of enclaves, (c) reduction of huge trade deficit and (d) equitable sharing
and management of water of trans-boundary Rivers. They are long-standing disputes and Bangladesh cannot force India to resolve these issues either bilaterally or through third parities intervention including mediation, arbitration or adjudication. India has to take initiative in building confidence measures pursuing the “Gujral doctrine” with its small neighbours to manifest its good will.

Is transit consistent with sealing off the Indo-Bangladesh border?
Another prickly issue is fencing by India with barbwire barrier of the Bangladesh-India border, Does fencing off Bangladesh make India a good neighbour? India as of June 2007 has been quietly sealing itself off Bangladesh, totaling 2,500 kilometres in the past seven years. The fencing project will eventually reach across 3,300 kilometres, or 2050 miles, hundreds of rivers, and long stretches of forests and fields. Of the total 3,300 kilometres fencing, 577 kilometres are in the Assam-Meghalaya border. Work
of 91 kilometres has been complete and work has been in progress for 129 kilometres and gradually India will seal off this 577-kilometres Bangladesh border in this sector. In the US, its decision to fence 1,100 kilometres of the Mexican border triggered months of political debate ranging across immigration policy to the environmental impact. When Israel announced it would build a 680-kilometre barrier around the West Bank, an international outcry erupted and the International Court of Justice declared illegal some of the barrier because it was inhuman. But there has been barely a ripple over India’s far larger project began in earnest in 2000.

Bangladesh Parliament must now discuss and debate how and in what way does the fencing have impact on environment and the people who live in border area?

While India has been silently sealing off its border from Bangladesh, it wants land transit through Bangladesh. Does it not occur to India that such request is contrary to the spirit behind the fencing India-Bangladesh border? Does fencing manifest its goodwill towards Bangladesh?

Implications of transit facility:
To my knowledge, no detailed study has been undertaken on the possible benefits and nonbenefits to Bangladesh. The study may include the infrastructure, viability, cost-benefit analysis, risk analysis and management and security that involve health hazards and environmental impact on hundreds of vehicles moving through Bangladesh. Furthermore, the study for a regional multi-modal transport system will be useful so that Bangladesh can also get transit facility to Nepal and Bhutan or vice versa. Bangladesh has already provided transit facility to Nepal to use Bangladesh ports but Nepal cannot use it because India is reportedly reluctant to provide Nepal transiting through Bangladesh. India’s Prime Minister Dr. Singh in a speech on 3rd April 2007 at the SAARC New Delhi Summit spoke of “full regional connectivity” The regional connectivity could be a springboard
for exploiting the vast physical resources of the eastern hub of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan.

To sum up:
Transit or transshipment through Bangladesh is not a simple issue. I would argue that it can be provided to India. But before providing, a detailed study must be undertaken on the advantages and disadvantages accrued to people of Bangladesh. Furthermore reciprocal transit facilities must be given to Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan by India as well. The transit issue should be viewed as an integrated one with other issues mentioned above and cannot be treated separately.

In any case substantive discussions can only take place on transit with the newly elected government in New Delhi after general elections that will be held within two months (April).
-Key points to consider

-transit
-corridor
-transhipment
-Bangladesh already giving Nepal transit(how many here knew this?) but it not being used in reality, because India refuses to give the same to Nepal.
-Indian Border fencing which commenced unilaterally in 2000/2001 and continues unabated
-India need this more than we need it, so this is a real chance for Bangladesh to maximize our position, and settle some of the other issues we have. After all international diplomacy is about trade offs, how badly do India want this? bad enough to give us our equal share of water across the board? Bad enough to give us transit rights in return?
Old August 4, 2011, 01:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Dipu moni planning to protest!! Chorer maar boro gola!!

We have been habituated to see international news publishing against BD govt (BNP or AL, both are same). Govt responding angrily like this.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
More importantly I'm extremely worried about the implications of the 15th Amendment which makes it illegal to criticise the government, gives it broad powers to silence and repress opposition, denies the existence of indigenous populations, etc.
I like to know exact words of the 15th amendment that proves above bold part of your comment, please share.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

Really?

Read the papers, watch the news, and talk shows every night in this country?

Criticizing the govt is something that has gone on in this country be it under the BNP and AL, pretty much unopposed.

The only time this was restricted at any point was post 1/11, when the military went mental for a few months.

Makes it illegal to criticize the govt...Silence the opposition, I've got no mark mullahs on the tv bitching about the govt and how Allah told them, it was their mission to bring down this govt on a weekly basis, and you reckon the opposition is being silenced......hahahahahahah

As for the indigenous population, I liken that debate to the multicultural issue doing the rounds all across europe now, or the French insisting everyone is French. If it's good enough for them, I say it's good enough for me.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:52 PM
Street Cricketer

Really? Read the papers, watch the news, and see what happened to Mahbubur Rahman, editor of Amar Desh, and what happened to the editor of sheershanews.com.

Although I don't expect AL supporters to convinced by such mundane things like "evidence".
Old August 5, 2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsan2012
Really? Read the papers, watch the news, and see what happened to Mahbubur Rahman, editor of Amar Desh, and what happened to the editor of sheershanews.com.

Although I don't expect AL supporters to convinced by such mundane things like "evidence".
Still crying about the election defeat? Hopefully you'll be crying again in a few years time....

Come back to me, when this AL govt, murders BNP Member of Parliaments or ex ministers, or tries to assassinate Khaleda.

Modern day BNP lackeys pontificating about oppression. The temerity of the man...hahaha.

I came into this topic, and my posts reflected the irresponsibility of all concerned, and how everything has been a case of tit-for tat, yet we have this BNP lackey, crying about Amar Desh, and Mahbubur Rahman(erstwhile energy advisor when BNP were in power, co-creator of the BNP manifesto for the last election, and now chief co-ordinator of Pro-BNP propaganda piece Amar Desh)

All the while ignoring, BNP shutting down Ekushey TV(and then the military, and AL in turn shutting down stations, CSB News, Channel 1).

How is that for evidence?

Just go back to praying for Tareq, don't fret though, he'll be King of Bangladesh soon enough, and it'll be a long reign too.

Me, I'll continue to live in this country, minding my own business, because after all neither party matters to my personal life, I'm rich now, and will continue to be rich. I'll bitch about the pollution, jams, law and order, all the while purchasing more SUVs, while hiding my income, and cheating the govt of electricity and water revenues.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Me, I'll continue to live in this country, minding my own business, because after all neither party matters to my personal life, I'm rich now, and will continue to be rich. I'll bitch about the pollution, jams, law and order, all the while purchasing more SUVs, while hiding my income, and cheating the govt of electricity and water revenues.
Thanks for being honest
Old August 5, 2011, 02:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo

As for the indigenous population, I liken that debate to the multicultural issue doing the rounds all across europe now, or the French insisting everyone is French. If it's good enough for them, I say it's good enough for me.
http://jrahman.wordpress.com/2011/08...the-adibashis/
Old August 5, 2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good find.

Real Politik, I like it. Money before all else.

Z, personally I am neutral when it comes to this particular issue. I've spent a fair bit of time overseas, and understood, the plight of not only minorities, but tribals, historically.

I just thought, when the French insist, everyone is French, regardless of where they came from, they are applauded, yet here we are saying something similar(obviously our reasons aren't as 'honorable', we get chastised for it). It's hypocritical.

@BanglaTiger84 - The truth is a bastard, but there you are. It's precisely why I normally don't get into the frenzy most whip themselves into in deshi forums all over the internet, about corruption in Bangladesh. Most of them refuse to look at themselves, their families.

Hasina-re gali dey, Khaleda-re gali dey, how about cursing ourselves first?

Kichu holey, public sector workers and the govt get abused for corruption, yet the private sector is worse, they hold this country hostage, yet because they are businessmen...they are entrepreneurs and people that are on rich lists, and deserve accolades and . No one questions their hoarding...their complete lack of corporate social responsibility, or the criminal negligence they show in terms of the quality of products.
Old August 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
Street Cricketer

Yes, the private sector is worse. How dare they they keep their own hard earned money and not pour it down the government drain. How dare our dear Chatra League polapain not get their pocket money for tea and biscuits. Shut down Qubee and Banglalion, Grameen Phone, and others. How dare they charge money for the service they provide, how dare they make a profit. They should provide service for free, for our great socialist nation.

Interesting fact, before '71 we used to manufacture Honda motorcycles, handled by Atlas. After '71 mismanagement and corruption destroyed it. Nowadays we import Honda motorcycles ... from Pakistan.
Old August 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

দ্য ইকোনোমিস্টে এবার হাসিনা সরকারের আরও কড়া সমালোচনা

আনোয়ারুল করিম, ডিপ্লোম্যাটিক করেসপন্ডেন্ট
বাংলানিউজটোয়েন্ িফোর.কম
ঢাকা: ব্রিটেনের প্রভাবশালী সাপ্তাহিক দ্য ইকোনোমিস্ট আবারও বাংলাদেশ বিষয়ে নতুন প্রতিবেদন রচনা করেছে। ‘দ্য পয়জনাস পলিটিক্স অব বাংলাদেশ : রিভারসন টু টাইপ’ শিরোনামে শনিবার ওই সংখ্যাটি বাজারে আসছে। পত্রিকাটির অনলাইন সংস্করণের বেনিয়ান অংশে এর অপর শিরোনাম ‘ইন দ্য নেম অব দ্য ফাদার’।

এদেশের অর্থনৈতিক অগ্রযাত্রার প্রশংসা করে রাজনৈতিক সংস্কৃতির সমালোচনা করে পত্রিকাটি লিখেছে, ‘বাংলাদেশের রাজনীতি বিষাক্ত হয়ে উঠছে।’

এর আগে বাংলাদেশ সম্পর্কে ছাপানো ‘আপত্তিজনক’ একটি প্রতিবেদনের রেশ কাটতে না কাটতে এ প্রতিবেদন প্রকাশ হচ্ছে।

গত ৩০ জুলাই বাংলাদেশ সম্পর্কে একটি আপত্তিজনক প্রতিবেদন প্রকাশ করে পত্রিকাটি। এর বিরুদ্ধে বাংলাদেশ চার পৃষ্ঠার একটি দীর্ঘ প্রতিবাদ জানায়। প্রতিবাদলিপি তাদের অনলাইন সংস্করণে ছাপা হলেও মূল পত্রিকায় ছিল না।

তবে পরে ইকোনমিস্টের পক্ষ থেকে প্রতিবাদলিপি ‘৩০০ শব্দের মধ্যে’ করে পাঠানোর অনুরোধ করা হয়। দ্বিতীয়দফা পাঠানো প্রতিবাদটি শনিবার প্রকাশ হওয়া সংখ্যায় থাকছে বলে শুক্রবার পররাষ্ট্র মন্ত্রণালয়ের বহিঃপ্রচার অণুবিভাগের মহাপরিচালক শামীম আহসান বাংলানিউজকে নিশ্চিত করেছেন।

নতুন করে প্রকাশিত প্রতিবেদনটিতে প্রধানমন্ত্রী শেখ হাসিনা, গত আড়াই বছরের সরকার পরিচালনাসহ বিরোধীদলের সঙ্গে সম্পর্ক এবং বাংলাদেশের চলমান অর্থনীতির পর্যালোচনা করা হয়েছে।

ইকোনমিস্টের নয়া এ প্রতিবেদনে বলা হয়, পাকিস্তান থেকে স্বাধীন হওয়ার পর ৪০ বছরে বাংলাদেশ অর্থনৈতিকভাবে যেভাবে এগিয়ে যাচ্ছে, রাজনৈতিক সংস্কৃতিতে ঠিক ততটুকুই পিছিয়ে যাচ্ছে।

প্রতিবেদনে বলা হয়, ২০০৮ সালের ডিসেম্বরের নির্বাচন ছিল বাংলাদেশের জন্য এক যুগসন্ধিক্ষণ। নির্বাচনে শেখ হাসিনার নেতৃত্বাধীন আওয়ামী লীগ নিরঙ্কুশ বিজয়ের মাধ্যমে ক্ষমতায় আসে। ওই বিজয়ের পেছনে ছিল জাতির এক বুক আশা। সবাই প্রত্যাশা ছিল শেখ হাসিনা তার দলের জনপ্রিয়তাকে কাজে লাগিয়ে গণতান্ত্রিক প্রতিষ্ঠানগুলোকে শক্তিশালী করবেন, জাতীয় ঐক্য গড়বেন, আওয়ামী লীগ ও তার প্রতিদ্বন্দ্বী বাংলাদেশ জাতীয়তাবাদী দল বিএনপির মধ্যে চলতে থাকা ‘উইনার টেকস অল’ (বিজয়ীরাই সব পাবে) চক্রাকার রাজনীতির অবসান ঘটাবেন।

তবে আশঙ্কাও ছিল যে, ‘ওই বিপুল ম্যান্ডেটকে দলীয় সুবিধার কাজে লাগাবেন হাসিনা সরকার’।

নির্বাচনের আড়াই বছরের শেষে আশাবাদ বেশিরভাগ ক্ষেত্রেই চুরমার হলো। মোটামুটি প্রতিফলন ঘটল আশঙ্কারই। এ সপ্তাহে শেখ হাসিনার প্রতিদ্বন্দ্বী বিএনপি নেত্রী খালেদা জিয়ার বিরুদ্ধে আরও দুর্নীতির অভিযোগ আনা হয়েছে। তার নির্বাসিত ছেলে তারেক রহমানের বিরুদ্ধে জারি করা হয়েছে গ্রেফতারি পরোয়ানা।

প্রতিবেদনে আরো বলা হয়, ২০০১ থেকে ২০০৬ সাল পযন্ত প্রধানমন্ত্রী খালেদা জিয়া একটি দুর্নীতিগ্রস্ত সরকারের নেতৃত্ব দিয়েছেন। শেখ হাসিনাও চাঁদাবাজি ও হত্যার ষড়যন্ত্রসহ ১৩টি অভিযোগের মুখোমুখি হয়েছিলেন। কিন্তু এখন আওয়ামী লীগ নেতাদের বিরুদ্ধে দায়ের হওয়া সব মামলা প্রত্যাহার আর খালেদা জিয়াদের বিরুদ্ধে দায়ের হওয়া মামলাগুলো সচল রাখা হয়েছে। ইকোনমিস্টের ভাষায়, এটাই বাংলাদেশের রাজনীতির স্বাভাবিক ঘটনা। দ্বি-দলীয় ব্যবস্থায় পারিবারিক কলহ-বিবাদই হয়ে দাঁড়িয়েছে যেন রাজনীতির মূল কথা।

ইকোনমিস্ট প্রতিবেদনে উল্লেখ করেছে, শেখ হাসিনা ১৯৭৫ সালে নিহত বাংলাদেশের স্বাধীনতার বীর শেখ মুজিবুর রহমানের কন্যা। মিসেস জিয়া ১৯৮১ সালে নিহত আরেক রাষ্ট্রপতির বিধবা স্ত্রী। প্রধান দুটি দল তাদের শীর্ষ নেতৃত্বের সীমাহীন পারস্পরিক কলহকে মেনে নিয়েছে। বিএনপি সংসদ বর্জন করে রাজপথকে বেছে নিয়েছে। আর আওয়ামী লীগের মহানুভবতার সব প্রতিশ্রুতি শাসনকে দৃঢ় করার নানা পদক্ষেপের মাধ্যমে ধূসর হয়ে পড়েছে।

ইকোনমিস্টের বিশ্লেষনে বাংলাদেশের সাম্প্রতিক সবচেয়ে বড় কেলেঙ্কারি সংবিধান সংশোধন। গত বছর শ্রীলঙ্কার প্রেসিডেন্ট মাহিন্দা রাজপাকসে যেমনটা করেছেন, সংসদীয় গণতন্ত্রকে কাজে লাগিয়ে শেখ হাসিনাও তেমনটাই করেছেন বলে মন্তব্য করেছে পত্রিকাটি।

বলা হয়েছে, অন্য সব পরিবর্তনের মধ্যে এ সংশোধনীর মাধ্যমে তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকার ব্যবস্থা বাতিল করা হয়েছে। যে সরকার অবাধ ও নিরপেক্ষ করার জন্য নির্বাচনের তত্ত্বাবধান করত। বিএনপি নতুন ব্যবস্থায় নির্বাচনে যাবে কি-না সেটা বলা মুশকিল। রাজনৈতিক দলগুলোর মধ্যে আস্থাহীনতার কারণেই তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকার ব্যবস্থা চালু হয়েছিল বলে উল্লেখ করা হয় প্রতিবেদনে।

প্রতিবেদনে আরো বলা হয়, হাজার বছরের শ্রেষ্ঠ বাঙালি শেখ মুজিবকে ঘিরে শেখ হাসিনা যে আস্থা ও বিশ্বাসের জায়গা তৈরি করছেন, সে ব্যাপারে ‘পাবলিক ডিবেট’ বা বিতর্কও কম। এ সপ্তাহে ইস্যু করা ব্যাংক নোটসহ তার (শেখ মুজিবের) ছবি সর্বব্যাপী। ইকোনমিস্টের এ বিষয়ে মন্তব্য ‘কোনো এক দলের নিজেকে জাতির এতো ঘনিষ্ঠ হিসেবে চিহ্নিত করা সুস্থ স্বাভাবিক লক্ষণ নয়।’

প্রতিবেদনে বলা হয়েছে, একইসঙ্গে পাকিস্তান থেকে থেকে স্বাধীনতার সময় সংঘটিত নৃশংসতার জন্য যুদ্ধাপরাধীদের বিচার শুরু হতে যাচ্ছে। ঝুঁকির বিষয় হচ্ছে এ বিচারকে দেখা হচ্ছে দলীয় ভিত্তিতে। এ মাসে আসামিপক্ষের একজন নেতৃস্থানীয় ব্রিটিশ আইনজীবীকে বাংলাদেশে ঢুকতে দেওয়া হয়নি।

প্রতিবেদনে বলা হয়, ‘বাংলাদেশ যখন বিশাল প্রতিশ্রুতির সামনে দাঁড়িয়ে, তখন দেশটির রাজনীতি রয়ে গেছে সম্পূর্ণ অযৌক্তিকভাবে ব্যক্তিগত পর্যায়ে এবং বিষাক্ত আকারে।

ইকোনমিস্ট বলেছে, ১৬ কোটি জনগোষ্ঠীর দেশটির বেশিরভাগ মানুষই দরিদ্র। সরকারের জনপ্রিয়তা এখনও অক্ষুণ্ণ আছে। অর্থনীতি ভালোই চলছে। তৈরি পোশাক রফতানির ব্যবসা নিয়ে অর্থনীতি মোটামুটি সবল। চীন এবং বিশেষ করে ভারতের তুলনায় বাংলাদেশের অর্থনীতি ভালো পথেই এগুচ্ছে।

ভারতের প্রধানমন্ত্রী মনমোহন সিং আগামী মাসে বাংলাদেশ সফরে যেতে পারেন। সম্পর্ক ঘনিষ্ঠ করতে ওই সফরে স্বাক্ষর হতে পারে কয়েকটি চুক্তি। এ সফর সম্পর্কে ইকোনমিস্টের বক্তব্য, ‘তিনি (মনমোহন সিং) এবং বাংলাদেশের অন্য বিদেশি বন্ধুরা যদি তাদের বন্ধুত্বকে শুধু একটি দলের সঙ্গে নয়, দেশের সঙ্গে বন্ধুত্ব হিসেবে দেখেন তবেই ভালো।’

‘ইন দ্য নেম অব দ্য ফাদার’ প্রসঙ্গে ইকোনমিস্ট বলে, বাংলাদেশের বেশিরভাগ মানুষকে প্রশ্ন করলে তারা উন্নয়ন ও এগিয়ে যাওয়া প্রসঙ্গে ইন্দোনেশিয়া ও ভারতের উদাহরণ দিতেই বেশি পছন্দ করে। তবে শেখ হাসিনা চান দেশকে ১৯৭৫ পূর্ববর্তী তার বাবার আদর্শের আদলে তৈরি করতে।

বাংলাদেশ সময়: ১৫৫০ ঘণ্টা, আগস্ট ১২, ২০১১

http://www.banglanews24.com/detailsn...53269&toppos=1
Old August 13, 2011, 02:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Yet another article supposedly from the Economist;
The first line left me bemused, I dont know any Bangladeshi dreaming of emulating Indonesia.....

http://m.gulfnews.com/opinions/colum...dream-1.850773
Ask well-connected Bangladeshis which country they dream of emulating and they usually name one of two big Asian democracies: populous and largely Muslim Indonesia, for its moderation, growing wealth and stability; or India, for its job-creating, increasingly urban economy. Pakistan is dismissed with the scorn of a divorcee rejecting her abusive ex.
Old August 13, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: ShakTikMashNasir(ShakV2)
Default ইকোনমিস্টকে খুব শিগগির ক্ষমা চাইতে হবে: মতিয়া

কৃষিমন্ত্রী মতিয়া চৌধুরী বলেছেন, মিথ্যা সংবাদ প্রকাশের জন্য বৃটিশ সাময়িকী দ্য ইকোনমিস্টকে খুব শিগগির বিশ্ববাসীর কাছে ক্ষমা চাইতে হবে।

জাতীয় শোক দিবস উপলক্ষে শনিবার জাতীয় প্রেসক্লাব মিলনায়তনে বাংলাদেশের সাম্যবাদী দল (এমএল) আয়োজিত আলোচনা সভায় মতিয়া চৌধুরী বলেন, "মাদক, অস্ত্র চোরাচালান ও জঙ্গিবাদের টাকায় এবং মদদে ইকোনমিস্ট মিথ্যা সংবাদ পরিবেশন করেছে।"

"খুব শিগগিরই পত্রিকাটিকে তার মিথ্যা সংবাদের জন্য বিশ্ববাসীর কাছে ক্ষমা চাইতে হবে।"

শনিবার এক তথ্য বিবরণীতে এ কথা বলা হয়।

শুক্রবার প্রভাবশালী ব্রিটিশ সাময়িকী ইকোনমিস্টের ওয়েবসাইটে 'পয়জনাস পলিটিক্স ইন বাংলাদেশ' ও 'ইন দ্য নেম অব দ্য ফাদার' শিরোনামে দুটি প্রতিবেদনে শেখ হাসিনা সরকারের সমালোচনা করা হয়।

গত ৩০ জুলাই ইকোনমিস্টে প্রকাশিত 'ইন্ডিয়া অ্যান্ড বাংলাদেশ: এম্ব্রেস্যাবল ইউ' শীর্ষক প্রতিবেদনে বলা হয়, ভূরাজনৈতিক স্বার্থে প্রতিবেশীদের সঙ্গে ভালো সম্পর্ক গড়ে তুলতে চাইছে ভারত।

পরে এ প্রতিবেদনটির প্রতিবাদ জানায় বাংলাদেশ সরকার।

মতিয়া বলেন, "২০০৮ সালের নির্বাচনে মহাজোট সরকারের বিজয়ের পর ইকোনমিস্ট পত্রিকা বলেছিল, 'বাংলাদেশে অবাধ ও নিরপেক্ষ নির্বাচন হয়েছে।' কিন্তু পত্রিকাটি তা ভুলে গেছে।"

সাম্যবাদী দলের সাধারণ সম্পাদক ও শিল্পমন্ত্রী দিলীপ বড়–য়ার সভাপতিত্বে এ আলোচনা সভায় পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী দীপু মনি, ঢাকা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের উপাচার্য অধ্যাপক আ আ ম স আরেফিন সিদ্দিক, আওয়ামী লীগের সাংগঠনিক সম্পাদক বাহাউদ্দিন নাছিম, সাম্যবাদী দলের পলিটব্যুরোর সদস্য লুৎফর রহমান, আবু হামেদ সাহাবুদ্দিন, দেলোয়ার হোসেন বক্তব্য রাখেন।

SOURCE