facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Mohd. Ashraful

I am a poster from India and rarely post on this forum.

So, I was watching some old footage of Ash when he did Brian Lara like pull off the hip off Gillespie and I distinctly remember thinking at the time he will be one of the best in the world. But things have gone horribly wrong somewhere.

I wonder what you think of it. Forgive me, if I sound rude but Bangladeshi fans and players both seem some what over emotional. I have seen Tamim and Shakib show great potential and many others too in Bangladeshi team. But my guess is that they are not able to control the adrenaline. You have to show heart but out there in the middle it is all about what is between your ears. Ashraful has played some very rash shots and gotten out. I have always looked for him to do well. He seems to be getting too squared up lately.

Here is hoping he turns it around thi smatch.

Old September 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

Ashraful always had problems with his techniques, which type of shot to play against which ball and very soon, his luck ran out and his problems were exposed!

Rather than the coach at that time helping him with his issues, the coach kicked him out of the team.

So, Ashraful had lot of potential but he was destroyed with no guidance.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

He is BD's rohit sharma but only far worse.. he is lucky he plays for BD.. even tailenders in other teams have better record than him (averaging 20 in odi and test, less than 20 in t20)
Old September 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Ashraful has a learning disability. Talent my brown butt - he's a street cricketer at best. He needs to see a psychiatrist. In the meantime, please keep him as far away from Bangladesh cricket as possible. He doesn't deserve it.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Ashraful has a learning disability. Talent my brown butt - he's a street cricketer at best. He needs to see a psychiatrist. In the meantime, please keep him as far away from Bangladesh cricket as possible. He doesn't deserve it.
He can take all his "talent" and shove it, players with far better records than him dont get anywhere near top 8 international teams. Give me Mitchell johnson's batting (who is a bowler) over ashraful anyday, he has a similar record to this fool with a much better strike rate.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cricket Guru

I wanted to see Ash's comeback
Old September 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
Ashraful always had problems with his techniques, which type of shot to play against which ball and very soon, his luck ran out and his problems were exposed!

Rather than the coach at that time helping him with his issues, the coach kicked him out of the team.

Hahahaha....international cricketer for a decade, coaches...boards...governments have come and gone. Yet he still got chances...yes, someone else is to blame for his incompetence
Old September 25, 2012, 02:02 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

LOL who was the commentator who called Ashraful "the youngster" when he played the scoop shot?
Old September 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

^The legendary ignorant Wasim Akram.
Old September 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Youngster tow thiki bolse. Kagoje boyosh ekhono pochis hoi nai, aieta youngster nah tow ki.
Old September 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
Club Cricketer

The problem with Ash is that once he gets set in , he starts his stupid shots closing his eyes and gets bowled out when the team needs him most
Old September 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:

Contradicting post of a blind and deaf supporter of Ash.

National team is not a place where players rectify his issues. Eta karor abba hujur'er jaiga na. You earn a place. If the average is not good enough, even Ponting will get kicked out.
Old September 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Paindu bhai, you openned this thread on Ashraful....Ash has a restaurant in Dhaka, called Schwann, you should go visit and try the food, it's chinese food I believe.
Old September 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Contradicting post of a blind and deaf supporter of Ash.

National team is not a place where players rectify his issues. Eta karor abba hujur'er jaiga na. You earn a place. If the average is not good enough, even Ponting will get kicked out.
I support Ash? News to me!
He does well in domestics but does crap at intl. level. We all loved Ash at one point, and many still want him back in that AUS/ENG thrashing form.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I support Ash? News to me!
He does well in domestics but does crap at intl. level. We all loved Ash at one point, and many still want him back in that AUS/ENG thrashing form.
He has only played one or two eid innings against Aus/ Eng and thats a fact.. I also want to be the President of US and richer than Bill gates.. and they are both more plausible than what you are hoping from sir Ash.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
Street Cricketer

Certainly Ashraful along with few others in BD team are talented entertainers in a Cricket Team. His 'Koi' fishing over the cordon line; making uniform muddy; going away from the angle to chase the running ball but never closing the angle and wondering every time he is 'out' are few characteristics.

To me, most disappointing is undermining opponents and it is bad in sports and life as a whole. Against Pakistan, he was hooking every ball on off side. Sohail Tanvir gradually changed the line towards middle and he failed to realize the bowlers study a great deal of batsman's ability. Even in his best day against South Africa, he had failed to notice that they had placed a fielder where he was striking it. He would be minimally effective against bowlers like Wasim Akram and Glen McGrath who could easily feast on batsmen's weakness.

Last edited by derbyzia; October 22, 2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old October 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
Club Cricketer

Ashraful is an over rated player and I don't think he can handle pressure. I am not talking about the pressure on the field but the added pressure of being as good as everyone thinks he is and the pressure of fulfilling expectations. People always had high hopes of him to win matches and perform all the time. I don't think he couldn't mentally handle that. Every time he stepped on the field he had to perform or win matches to satisfy peoples' expectations. You can't have that mental block when you go and bat.

On the other hand, Shakib and Tamim never had that much expectations on them as much as Ash had. Now look at them. When you have nothing to lose you tend to do better. Tamim and Shakib were nothing in comparison to Ash and now look at them both. The only two world class players in BD camp.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyzia
Certainly Ashraful along with few others in BD team are talented entertainers in a Cricket Team.
His 'Koi' fishing over the cordon line; making uniform muddy; going away from the angle to chase the running ball but never closing the angle and wondering every time he is 'out' are few characteristics.

To me, most disappointing is undermining opponents and it is bad in sports and life as a whole. Against Pakistan, he was hooking every ball on off side. Sohail Tanvir gradually changed the line towards middle and he failed to realize the bowlers study a great deal of batsman ability. Even in his best day against South Africa he had failed to notice that they had placed a fielder where he was striking it. He would be minimally effective against bowlers like Wasim Akram and Glen McGraw who could easily feast on batsmen's weakness.
I dont know whether to on this or . Average bowlers like Zaheer khan (averaging 30) or Anderson (averaging 30) consider Ashraful a laughing stock and can get him out twice in one over and you are saying legends like Akram and Mcgrath will feast on his weakness... lol.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharup
Ashraful is an over rated player and I don't think he can handle pressure. I am not talking about the pressure on the field but the added pressure of being as good as everyone thinks he is and the pressure of fulfilling expectations. People always had high hopes of him to win matches and perform all the time. I don't think he couldn't mentally handle that. Every time he stepped on the field he had to perform or win matches to satisfy peoples' expectations. You can't have that mental block when you go and bat.

On the other hand, Shakib and Tamim never had that much expectations on them as much as Ash had. Now look at them. When you have nothing to lose you tend to do better. Tamim and Shakib were nothing in comparison to Ash and now look at them both. The only two world class players in BD camp.
I think Ashraful is THE most overrated cricketer ever to come from BD by far. He averages 20 in tests and odi's and gets so much publicity for couple of fluke innings he played years ago.. I know players who average a lot more and have won more matches consistently for other countries but they aren't even talked about. It's just our celebration of mediocrity that Ashraful is regarded as some kind of legend and we got people in Bangladesh claiming "Form is temporary and class is permanent". Ofcourse most of these people can't even spell these words let alone know what they mean.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
But he is so unique and definitely posses amazing learning capability of singing, dance and act at the same time in different tv appearances unlike other cricketers who are only either good at one particular area (e.g. Shahadat showed promising career as self claiming Shahrukh of BD cricket, Pilot perfectly used is wicket keeping charisma in drama, Shakib also used in #1 ranking to do add in #1 products across various industries), but Ashraful did all of them all together, so I disagree with Mr. ATMR. I also disagree that he needs to see psychiatrist rather I would recommend him to see a Nantu gotok. Bangladesh cricket can not live without him and he proved it, so you are also wrong about that. And at the end, i still disagree as He deserves the title Sir ahead of anybody else in the team.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
I think Ashraful is THE most overrated cricketer ever to come from BD by far. He averages 20 in tests and odi's and gets so much publicity for couple of fluke innings he played years ago.. I know players who average a lot more and have won more matches consistently for other countries but they aren't even talked about. It's just our celebration of mediocrity that Ashraful is regarded as some kind of legend and we got people in Bangladesh claiming "Form is temporary and class is permanent". Ofcourse most of these people can't even spell these words let alone know what they mean.
I somewhat agree with you. I am glad the same spot light was not on Shakib and Tamim. Not sure how they would have turned out. Shakib literally came from zero to becoming the national hero and a recognised world class player. Ashraful had potential to be one of the greatest but he hasn't come out of that phase yet. I am not sure if he ever will. I have a feeling even when he retires people will talk about him being talented and having a lot of potential. It will sadly stay that way. I hope I am wrong but I am likely to see that happening.

The other not-so-talented-as-Ash players had points to prove and they did just that. As long as Ash is in the team let him steal everyone's thunder so that the others can progress under his shadow and over take him eventually otherwise they might just go As(h)tray
Old October 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
I dont know whether to on this or . Average bowlers like Zaheer khan (averaging 30) or Anderson (averaging 30) consider Ashraful a laughing stock and can get him out twice in one over and you are saying legends like Akram and Mcgrath will feast on his weakness... lol.
I was mentioning them as bowlers who had countermeasures against pre-meditated shot of a specific batsman. I mentioned this kind of bowlers because there are many players who are very skilled at local levels but fail on higher level. I see a lot of supporters of Ashraful. I am not conversant with his performance to be honest and availability of guile seam bowlers in local circuits. He commits to his favorite shots and fails to omit it when there is active countermeasure. At all level of sport, there is considerable learning or adjustment on the job.
I mentioned W. Akram and G. McGrath particularly because of their attack strategy though Zaheer is following their path. Anderson is a nice and natural swinger of a ball in non-sub continental pitches e.g. England. The older pair was deceptively quick (??because of their build –tall, height and strong) but for Zaheer you can figure it out when he is bowling fast from his run-up marking.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
ROFL thanks for the correct assessment!!