facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 8, 2004, 09:10 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Dissecting Kiwis: Left Arm Bowlers?

Are there any left arm bowlers in the NZ squad that are coming to Bangladesh this month both in Tests and ODIs?

I know that Daniel Vettori is a left arm spin bowler, but I want to know about left arm quick bowlers.

Old October 8, 2004, 09:42 AM
Cricket Legend

I know what you are thinking.

Bad news: JAMES FRANKLIN. And he is coming next week.

Good news: he is struggling with his bowling, at least judging from what he did or did'nt do in England, where swing conditions are ideal.. Why?
He struggled to pitch on the line of the stumps, as such, had problems luring the batsmen. Balls were predictable. And did not steer towards the slips..

IMHO- not in the same class as the great Akram. Lever (England) or their own O connor who were more accomplished left arm bowlers.

Anyway, on a pessy mood, I am sure he will get wickets in Chittagong.

Edited on, October 8, 2004, 2:43 PM GMT, by oracle.
Old October 8, 2004, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

SB O connor NZ:Howstat

Channel 4

Howstat
Old October 8, 2004, 10:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle

SB O connor NZ

Howstat
Wasn't he the joint highest wicket-taker of WC '99? He was an aggressive (penetrationwise, not body language) left-arm fast medium with bagful of variety. If I remember correctly the only match he didn't do well in WC '99 was semi-final against Pak and eventually NZers were shipped out in the process. Struggled all his short career with injury and opted to pursue a career as policaman later, I think.
Old October 8, 2004, 11:32 AM
First BC Member

I vaguely remember Geoff Allott of NZ being the joint highest wicket-taker of World Cup 1999, however I'm saying this without confirming anything.
Old October 9, 2004, 01:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

the enw zealand bolwing attack is not very good, or very weak compared to the other teams. The do not have any front line bolwers except Bond who is always injured and vettori who is not the bowler he once was. Bascially they have medium pacers, reallying on line and length or assiatnce from the wicket.
Old October 9, 2004, 03:07 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
I vaguely remember Geoff Allott of NZ being the joint highest wicket-taker of World Cup 1999, however I'm saying this without confirming anything.
Probebly you're correct. Geoff Allott - rings few bells!
Old October 9, 2004, 04:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Umm Vettori is still a very good bowler Huda. I think he has improved from what he once was.
Old October 9, 2004, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

"Dissecting the Kiwis bowlers" is a good thread to discuss with 'academic interest', but I wish our national players don't read this thread and get scared. I have the opinion that, our batsmen can play against any bowlers irrespective of how 'great....’ are they. They have played against the mighty Australian bowling squad, they have faced the fastest Shoaib, they have faced the aggressive Best and so on and on and on. I think, ranking or body language or speed are not important for them to play, as important the ball they deliver, its merit whether to play or not, to take on front foot or back one etc. I have marked our batsmen are more comfortable against the top ranking bowlers, whereas they skid against part time bowlers. This is again some sort of mind set.
Old October 10, 2004, 06:15 AM
First BC Member

Although as much as I would hope it to be, Hannan Sarkar has probably still not worked out his technique against any left arm quick bowlers. I don't remember reading any of our left arm pace bowlers (in particular, Monjurul Islam, or any other left arm pacer) assisting the High Performance squad.

Similarly, if Hannan can play the Kiwi left arm seamers well, then we can assume that working in the High Performance unit has worked, but if he can't, or rather, if he's not included in the test eleven, then where is the necessity of a High Performance unit?
Old October 10, 2004, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

fwullah, I believe we can get some approximate answer of your worrying question during BCB XI - NZ match. It's about 99.9% sure that Hannan and Alok are going to play in that squad. The morning will show the day.
Old October 10, 2004, 08:00 PM
Cricket Legend

I hope you are right about Hannan and Alok being in the side. Well Alok has to play he is captain. Hannan will almost definitely play unless he gets injured.