facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2018, 12:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Should a team with 4 ICC tournament Quarterfinals appearances still be classed as "minnows"???

from Bangladesh's linkedin page:

2007 WC Super 8s after knocking India out
2007 WT20 Super 8s after knocking West Indies out
2015 WC Quarter-finals after knocking England out (same England is now a powerhouse)
2017 CT Semi-finals after knocking New Zealand out

To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 11, 2018, 12:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Who is calling Bangladesh minnows though? You guys aren't world beaters but you shouldn't be called minnows either.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

To add to that, we'd have made the 2011 WC quarterfinals if West Indies had beaten England, making a total of 5.
Clearly a hypothetical. Doesn't count. Either you make it or not.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

I think the minnow is associated with the test cricket. No one calls them that in ODIs. T20I was the most vulnerable format for them, but they have come up with some good performances of late (Nihadas Trophy).
Old July 11, 2018, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
from Bangladesh's linkedin page:
Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.
Old July 11, 2018, 12:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Wait, why does Bangladesh cricket have a Linkedin page? I thought linkedin was for professionals.
Yankees uncle, keno na, whay not?
BCB and Bangladesh cricket team also has MuslimShadi.com, BDmatrimoni.com match.com and IMDB profile pages too. Who knows who created them accounts.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

So what our team has a BDMatrimoni.com page. Our team sucks so bad and a lot of the team members are Lomphuts....so nobody bodroloke taar meye-ke amader team-er kache Biye dibe na. I know I won't. I have two bibaho-upojogi girl cats, I am not sednign to no BD Odhum players house. Amy amar biral-der jibon noshto korba naa! I know beeter!
Old July 11, 2018, 04:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Yes we are mi43ows. The name doesn't bother me.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

All teams struggle in the first couple tests on tour. India only win the 3rd Test in SA and that was due to a minefield pitch where Pandya becomes as lethal as Rabada. And that’s given how frequently India tours overseas at senior and A team level.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 13, 2018, 07:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
All teams struggle in the first couple tests on tour. India only win the 3rd Test in SA and that was due to a minefield pitch where Pandya becomes as lethal as Rabada. And that’s given how frequently India tours overseas at senior and A team level.
As evidenced by his earth shaking 0 wickets across both innings, versus Rabada's half a dozen.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone
As evidenced by his earth shaking 0 wickets across both innings, versus Rabada's half a dozen.
India performed really well in SA. Those who followed that series closely would agree with me.
Old July 13, 2018, 09:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
India performed really well in SA. Those who followed that series closely would agree with me.
Yep, it was a decent performance across the tests and ODIs, but I fail to see why it was even brought up in the first place in the context of this thread.
Old July 13, 2018, 12:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
They also got favorable pitches in 2 of the 3 Tests.

In fact the minefield of the 3rd Test evened things out as well because it made a Bumrah as lethal as a Rabada.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 13, 2018, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the local tempos.

India has performed brilliantly in their recently finished SA tour. They would've easily won the series if kohli had selected a better team. Second test was there for the taking but unfortunately they failed to do so due to bad luck.

But we all saw how they hammered and humiliated SA in the ODIs, didn't we? Oh one more thing, i don't think the number of tests we have played in last couple of years have played any role in our overall development as a cricket playing nation. We played quite a number of tests at both home and away in last couple of years and it's needless to say, we have been humiliated in most of them. Only a uber low level minnow team can get thrashed the way we got thrashed in SA and NZ. We couldn't even compete in a single session leave alone winning a test or series. It was so damn embarrassing.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the of local tempos.

India has performed brilliantly in their recently finished SA tour. They would've easily won the series if kohli had selected a better team. Second test was there for the taking but unfortunately they failed to do so due to bad luck.

But we all saw how they hammered and humiliated SA in the ODIs, didn't we? Oh one more thing, i don't think the number of tests we have played in last couple of years have played any role in our overall development as a cricket playing nation. We played quite a number of tests at both home and away in last couple of years and it's needless to say, we have been humiliated in most of them. Only a uber low level minnow team can get thrashed the way we got thrashed in SA and NZ. We couldn't even compete in a single session leave alone winning a test or series. It was so damn embarrassing.
Are you from India posing as a BD fan ?
Old July 13, 2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
Are you from India posing as a BD fan ?
Nope dude. I m a Bangladeshi from Bangladesh who's a die hard fan of Bangladesh cricket team.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
We shouldn't even mention Team India when we r talking about a team of Bangladesh's caliber. Its like bringing the quality of Audi into discussion when we r talking about the local tempos.

So true. India fought really hard in the first two tests and could have easily won had Kohli were a little smarter about team selection.

There is a difference between losing the first test while fighting hard and a complete disgraceful surrender like BD did in WI. The first type can be attributed to getting acclimatized whereas the second type is nature of minnows.
Old July 13, 2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
So true. India fought really hard in the first two tests and could have easily won had Kohli were a little smarter about team selection.

There is a difference between losing the first test while fighting hard and a complete disgraceful surrender like BD did in WI. The first type can be attributed to getting acclimatized whereas the second type is nature of minnows.
Totally agree with u. There's a big difference between getting defeated by the opposition and getting steamrolled by the opposition.

We all know that most top teams struggle in their first couple of matches in their respective tours especially if they start the away series without playing any practice match. But what Bangladesh do is completely different than that. Our team gets completely annihilated every time we play outside Mirpur regardless the quality of the opposition.

Don't think playing a lot of tests is going to help us to improve our current status. We've already played quite a lot of away matches in last couple of years but the result is still the same if not worse.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Quote:
Thats quite rich coming from a person whose quality of comments are as toxic as greenhouse gas emissions
Old July 13, 2018, 08:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Is it me or am I detecting two closet trolls? Both seem to be cut from the same Indian deshi cloth
Old July 13, 2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Thats quite rich coming from a person whose quality of comments are as toxic as greenhouse gas emissions
Brother, I never make toxic connects. U know it, I know it, everybody knows it. What I said in my previous post is true. Bringing a team of India's caliber into the discussion (who has the potential to be as good as 2000s Australia) when we r talking about a team like Bangladesh is indeed laughable.
Old July 13, 2018, 12:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
YOU shouldn't mention it. Once India starts to win 70% of the ICC trophies to reflect their power, influence, and financial standing we'll have a reasonable base for discussion.

You can't even compare SL to BD. SL didn't win till the 3rd Test on tour. And that too was on a minefield where a Lakmal or Ranjith becomes as unplayable as a Gabriel or Roach. Its like a Dhaka turner where both Miraz, Ashwin, or Lyon can all turn the ball a yard.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 13, 2018, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
YOU shouldn't mention it. Once India starts to win 70% of the ICC trophies to reflect their power, influence, and financial standing we'll have a reasonable base for discussion.

You can't even compare SL to BD. SL didn't win till the 3rd Test on tour. And that too was on a minefield where a Lakmal or Ranjith becomes as unplayable as a Gabriel or Roach. Its like a Dhaka turner where both Miraz, Ashwin, or Lyon can all turn the ball a yard.
I won't say much in response, even though I had many things to say.

India won the champions trophy, went to the final in odi WC, won the t20 wc, Won the odi WC, won the champions trophy yet again, went to the semifinal of the odi world cup , went to the final of the CT and remained as a no 1 test and odi team for a prolonged period of time in last 15/20 years.

They r undoubtedly the most successful cricket team in last 15/20 years.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ No, I definitely agree with you. I am just saying, personally, the name does not bother me one bit. It can be quite appropriate at times. I have no problems it being tied to performance. Meaning when we collapse, we should be called that. But when we do well, we should be and are called more praiseworthy names.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

What has Bangladesh done in it's 30 years of cricket history to be not termed as a minnow? Absolutely nothing.

Last time when we reached SF in CT, it was purely based on luck. Frankly we should be ashamed of the fact that we have reached the QF instead of AUS who actually humiliated us in the group stage by bundling us out for 180 and were cruising to a victory after 15 overs of their innings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, just because we've won couple of odd games in world stage( mostly based on luck or individual brilliance) doesn't necessarily mean that we can't be called as a minnow. Honestly we r the only cricket playing nation who has achieved next to nothing even after playing countless no of tests, ODIs and after spending a bucket load of money behind our players.

Remember, even worthless Kenya once reached the semifinal of a WC. And I repeat again that when Kenya went to semifinal of the most prestigious tournament of cricket, they didn't even have a test status.