facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 6, 2013, 11:05 PM
Administrator

I've been playing a bit of a devils advocate here. However, I do believe in just wars but I do not think this is one. I'm personally quite dissapointed in my man Obama in his new GW Bush impersonation.

I'm not sure how many of you know Robert Reich, ex labor secretary inter Clinton and served under both Carter and Ford. He currently is teaches at Berkeley and is a prolific author and political commentator. If there is any one man who can almost represent me in my ideological bent, it is Reich.

So what do I really think? I'll let him speak for me:

Quote:
Cliff notes on a potentially disastrous decision. (1) Were Syrian civilians killed by chemical weapons? Yes. (2) How many? Estimates vary. (3) Was Assad responsible? Probably but not definitely. (4) Should the world respond? Yes. (5) What’s the best response? Economic sanctions and a freeze on Syrian assets. (6) What are the advantages of bombing Syria with missiles? (a) Highly visible response, (b) no American troops on the ground. (7) What are the disadvantages? (a) Syrian civilians will inevitably be killed, (b) it will fuel more anti-American, anti-Western sentiment, thereby increasing the ranks of terrorists in Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East, (c) our involvement will escalate if Assad or others use additional chemical weapons or engage in retribution against the us or Israel, (d) we have no exit strategy, (e) most of our allies aren’t with us, and we can’t be the world’s policeman everywhere, (f) it will distract us from critical problems at home, (g) the Syrian rebels are not our friends. (8) So why is Obama pursuing this so vigorously?

Old September 11, 2013, 02:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Now that US strikes are looking less likely, it is incredibly ironic to hear some Gulf people and their desi chamchas calling the US a coward.
Old September 11, 2013, 08:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Assad is a nastik...Islam has to be saved

Old September 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I don't know if you are joking or being sarcastic. In any case, it was a poor attempt because it's a serious issue and thousands of people have died and 2 million became refugees.

Whether Assad is nastik or not that is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is that he is brutally killing his own people, allegedly used chemical weapons, and all this already displaced about 2 million Syrians from their homes now. He is president for about 13 years now and during the first 10 years this 'nastik' issue never came up. But now all of a sudden when there are calls for his removal this issue suddenly comes up. Once again, it has very little to do with his faith or lack of it and all to do with his brutal regime.

I guess USA is also upset about his atheist beliefs. That's why Obama and his cabinet wanted war, Senate approved it, and AIPAC urged Obama to go to war.

And the Rabia symbol is from Egypt and that situation is completely different from Syria's. Just because they are in Middle East doesn't mean you can combine all into one same bucket. It is not a fight against secular vs conservatives and so don't try to bring nastik issue into everything. It worked with Shahbagh but won't work all the time.
Old September 11, 2013, 09:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Of course I'm being sarcastic(I happen to be one of these so called 'nastiks') - I know very well the complexities of the ME. As for the R4bia bull*&*& - it's not restricted to Egypt - it's been seen in Turkey and chagus in Bangladesh have a fb page with thousands for it here too. The message is clear - the fight in Syria for them is about religion..

Saudi Arabia and Israel are egging on the Americans to bomb Assad - hmm, I wonder what brings them together, oh I know - Iran! What makes the Arab League so demanding of action, or I know, the Shia and their offshoot the Alawites.

The Islamist terrorist movement(who are a significant part of the opposition) - have released beheading where they are killing Alawites for not being Muslim and saying they will do all they can to turn Syria into an Islamic Republic.

AQ and other jihadists are pouring into Syria to fight against Assad, while the Iranians and Hezbollah are fighting for Assad. The Christian minority in Syria is siding with Assad
Old September 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

You described the complexities better than I ever could. Yes, the rebels are committing heinous crimes too, Alawite sect is an issue for the Sunni Arab Leagues, and then Saudi and Israel along with Russia got involved too. It's a culmination of various issues and not just one.

I think the nastik card is just way overplayed. It's a misleading attempt to simplify the very complex situation. In the end, it is the common Syrians who are paying the price.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

I don't think anyone gives a damn about the common syrian/iraqi/irani/somali/bangladeshi anywhere. I don't think I'm meant to be so cynical, but I am already.

In the end, we are all constantly getting played by someone - nothing can be taken at face value anymore.