facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 21, 2017, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
You must not have read Mr. Himalay's piece. He said none like Shakib before him and now. Not a single player of the history of the game had to pull more weight than Shakib. That is a crap analogy. There were plenty.

Sobers time there were only handful performers with him. Wesley Hall, Kanhai and Lloyd. The rest were all sidekicks. Kalicharan, GG, Roberts, Richards and the gang came in to WI when he was almost retiring.

Who more pulled more than Hadlee for his team? Botham is an inspiration even to this generation. Imran Khan, I am not even going to go over there.
+++
Until he wins something or makes his teammates better by guiding them to higher levels, in the history of this game, Shakib will be BD a Hero not a Cricket hero.
I think you are over analyzing Mr. Himalay's piece here. I agree with you in terms of Shakib need to win more matches for us and I also mentioned that he was the key player in both department up until now. That's why I even asked to drop Shakib to send him a message that no one is greater than the game and can't just do anything that pleases their mind.

But I agree with Himalay on the part that Shakib is an excellent impact player for BD. All the other greats had some other greats in their team playing with them . Only Hadlee might be the one who had similar impact on both department but even then his batting average is not even in 30s so that tells a lot about how Shakib is contributing more to his team. All the other alrounders were strong in one particular department and the other department he might just be the player to compliment the other main performers. That wasn't the case for Shakib for long time. Shakib was our strike bowler until Mustafiz and for batting we used to wait for him to come and rescue us. There was a cricinfo article about Shakib where they analyzed the stats and explained how he is different than many other alrounders as he scored most percentage of the team's runs and took most percentage of team's wickets. That's a great feat and that pretty much explains why someone might consider Shakib as one of the greatest impact player for his team.

Last edited by oronnya; March 21, 2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old March 21, 2017, 01:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
You must not have read Mr. Himalay's piece. He said none like Shakib before him and now. Not a single player of the history of the game had to pull more weight than Shakib. That is a crap analogy. There were plenty.

Sobers time there were only handful performers with him. Wesley Hall, Kanhai and Lloyd. The rest were all sidekicks. Kalicharan, GG, Roberts, Richards and the gang came in to WI when he was almost retiring.

Who more pulled more than Hadlee for his team? Botham is an inspiration even to this generation. Imran Khan, I am not even going to go over there.
+++
Until he wins something or makes his teammates better by guiding them to higher levels, in the history of this game, Shakib will be BD a Hero not a Cricket hero.
and that is fine with me. For us who has seen the transformation of BD team knows the importance of Shakib.

NZ had to wait decades to get someone like Hadlee. And then did he really transform any other NZ players? He didn't transform the team like the way Imran Khan did.

So how did Imran Khan do it? He is an exceptional player and leader but he won the WC by inspiring other fast bowlers like Wasim Akram and Aaqib Javed. What other all rounders do we have that Shakib can inspire? Miraz/Hom/Abul?

Shakib's role is not to be Imran Khan. Imran was already playing cricket in English Conditions while studying for Grammar School at Worcester. And Shakib came from Magura, studied at BKSP, and played for Worcestershire and was the 1st Bangladeshi in County (debatable if you include Bulbul's short stint).

Shakib helped transforming a team but can't be compared to Botham's Eng, Hadlee's NZ, or Imran Khan's Pakistan. But he is more like Mansoor Ali Khan Patuadi. In the History of Indian Cricket, the author writes of Pataudi --

Quote:
To a nation that for 20 years regarded a draw as a victory, and whose cricket had a certain predictability, he brought the prospect of victory, often unexpected victories...
Shakib made the next generation of players believe that winning is possible. And he did that by winning.

We will have to wait for our Botham or Imran Khan. But for that we need a Mansoor Ali Khan first. Shakib is just that.
Old March 21, 2017, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Mohammad Ashraful is the one who made us believe we can win, to be honest.
Old March 21, 2017, 01:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

I think shakib is just Shakib. His own brand of cricket.

Different type of player than those mentioned.

Remember, he tasted victory against the mighty Indians while still a teenager.

An ardent football fan who does not favor a draw but rather a result. Hence, in his pursuit of a win, the other side of Shakib manifests itself, leaving the masses to debate whether or not he is a team man.
Old March 21, 2017, 02:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
I think shakib is just Shakib. His own brand of cricket.

Different type of player than those mentioned.

Remember, he tasted victory against the mighty Indians while still a teenager.

An ardent football fan who does not favor a draw but rather a result. Hence, in his pursuit of a win, the other side of Shakib manifests itself, leaving the masses to debate whether or not he is a team man.
good points.

He is indeed his own brand. Why does he need to like Sobers or Hadlee?
Old March 21, 2017, 05:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Shakib and hadlee the only 2 players in the history of the game to contribute for more than 40% of the teams runs and wickets

Botham, imran contributed 7% less than Shakib