facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 15, 2007, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Default An interesting article regarding a coach for India

But has relevance to us as we seek our own.

http://www.littleindia.com/news/152/...007-06-02.html

This is a long article but I do recommend everyone reading through to the end.

Old June 15, 2007, 12:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Nice dig and I think I voiced this a few times.

Quote:
What Team India really needs is a manager. In other words, a man who can manage star-player egos. Till the game got obscenely wealthy and high-tech, this role was usually played without fuss or hype by an Indian ex-cricketer who went by the job-title of "manager." And his skills were tested largely on foreign tours.
Quote:
Let's face the truth. Whether it's a World Cup match or an NBA playoff game, it's the players who win it or lose it - not the coach. He is, at best, a facilitator.
Its the players who win matches and not the coach. Australia is a great team because of their players not because of John Buchanan. I am sure if some else would have coached them they would still have faired the same. On the contrary Chappell failed to manage the egos of the star players and his self ego clashed with theirs and it got reflected in Team India's performance.

I am happy that India is going to England without a formal coach and just a manager and whose egos will not clash with that of the players.
Old June 16, 2007, 08:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

somewhat dark, witty and to the point. the excerpt that sums up the substance for me: -

"What Team India really needs is a manager. In other words, a man who can manage star-player egos. Till the game got obscenely wealthy and high-tech, this role was usually played without fuss or hype by an Indian ex-cricketer who went by the job-title of "manager." And his skills were tested largely on foreign tours.

I suspect that this kind of artificial hype routinely attached to the Indian coach's job has become a convenient escape route for the BCCI to lay blame when the team falters during the coach's stint at major multi-nation tournaments like the World Cup."

fabulous photo of Dav BTW ... good dig Z-bhai, as expected.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Even though the article talks about indian cricket... there are some very valid points in it about Coaching an International side. A national team coach needs to be more a Motivator and less a Trainer. He needs to remove the baggages among the players and convert into a coherent unit. Last of all... he needs to create an adament group out of them who will never give up!
Old June 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

yeah i like the concept of manager/motivator, coach is the wrong choice of word for any experienced international test side specially if he tries to change the system all of a sudden like guru greg tried,where the results could be controversial and on a downslide.its the captain who leads the side and the selectors who pick the right team matter most. so yes we need a manager/motivator.