facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 14, 2004, 01:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ganesh
Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
our current frustration in players/fans.. results not only from the failures.. but also from the negative attitute by the rest of the world not to tolerate the failure!!

Edited on, December 13, 2004, 3:20 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
I don't agree with this sentiment. No doubt, rest of the world has been hitting out Bangladesh. That is not because they hate. People remember Lanka and Zimbabwe. Lankans of 80s and Zimbabwe of 90s showed more character than Bangladesh so far has. I am really sorry to say that. I hope people don't get annoyed by an Indian criticising Bangladeshi cricket. I don't mean to p**s of people out here. I am trying to state my mind clearly.

Zimbabwe have gone down in the last 2 years due to political turmoil though. All the same when Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson, Andy Flower, Campbell, Grant Flower, Heath Streak and Paul Strang were together in late 90s, they did look pretty darn good. They beat Pakistan and India in odd Tests. Andy Flower was a class batsman. Murray Goodwin was pretty good too. Heath Streak has 200 wickets at avg of 27. Too bad many of their careers have been cut short due to race politics. Sri Lanka of 80s produced Ranatunga, 2 Ratnayakes, Aravinda, Mendia and Dias. Fringe players in both SL of 80s and Zim of 90s were pretty ordinary. Bangladesh's record is worse than the other two. May be they are playing way too much cricket and repeated losses is killing their confidence. May be they got their test status 3-4 years earlier. They shouldn't be stripped of the status at this stage now that they have been there and know what it takes. Another 3-4 years, they may just get better with new crop learning from the mistakes of oldies. There is one area I am really p**sed with Bangladesh. That is their fielding. I feel no amount of criricism is enough for Bangladeshi fielding.

Maybe Zim and SL showed a lot of character, but I believe our situation is different. Firstly, there's too much cricket going on, yes we are playing too much, but thats what u gotta do as a test nation these days. Secondly, perhaps we did get test status a little too early, but things weren't really moving forward for our cricket before test status. Only now is the money rolling in. Thirdly, BD crowds are unforgiving, threatening, spontaneous bunch and puts players under a lotta pressure when they play at home. Honestly, it'll take no fewer than 10 years for us to win our first test match (i still don't think we'll beat zimbabwe), but its'll be worth the wait. 10 years is alright for me.

Yo Ganesh. U are one awsum indian fan. Good opinions, objective.

Old December 14, 2004, 01:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

well since we have the Test status its not right to even mention relieving them off the status. What we need to focus on is our infrastructure! I know i'll get a lot of criticism about this but what we need to do is set a target for the future like 3-5 yrs down the line and work on it accordingly. Not to rush players into the team but slowly build their confidence, their spirit, their motivation. I don't think we're any bit less talented than any of our sub-continental neighbors! In fact i was talking to a Indian friend of mine and he asked me why our Board doesn't send like a team of probables to play Ranji Trophy or Qaid-e-Azam trophy! Why can't the board actually do this? We can have 2 teams play for each of their domestic tournaments! And we can also send teams to play like we did a couple of years back to the Windies!!! I thought that was an excellent move!
What more can Whatmore do!!!
Old December 14, 2004, 01:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't think al watched any Sri Lankan matches- but they seem to be appealing for everything, almost every over of the match they have a huge shout- maybe its to keep up their spirits but if the 3rd umpire is called every 2-3 overs even, it spoils the momentum of the batsmen, bowlers and specially the captain who has to finish up 90 overs everyday!
Old December 14, 2004, 01:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
What we need to focus on is our infrastructure! I know i'll get a lot of criticism about this but what we need to do is set a target for the future like 3-5 yrs down the line and work on it accordingly. Not to rush players into the team but slowly build their confidence, their spirit, their motivation...
Exactly!
There actually needs to be plans at different levels.
starting frm 3-4 years plan.. upto very long term (talking about 15-20yrs) plans also..

Every disciplined Test nation has detailed long term plans worked out..why shud we not?

But at the same time... us fans need to hav long term patience (n i mean real long term) too!!
Old December 14, 2004, 01:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Bangladesh boss slams detractors

Coach Dav Whatmore has dismissed claims Bangladesh do not deserve to play Test cricket after their defeat to India.
Bangladesh's loss by an innings in the first Test was their 30th defeat in 33 matches, none of which they have won.

"I honestly believe that the talent in this country is the same sort of talent that you get anywhere in the sub-continent," said Whatmore.

"It's easy for (the media) to say that the technique is not right, but that's not correct."

Sri Lanka-born Whatmore, who played Test cricket for Australia, conceded that his team had lost the initiative early against India.

"The new ball did the damage in both the innings. That was the start of it," said Whatmore.

"It makes it very difficult when you lose three or four wickets in the first 10 overs. We were playing catch-up cricket after that.

"We need to try and not hand the advantage to the opposition early. We need to do a bit of fighting to keep it even for a while.

Source: BBC
Old December 14, 2004, 01:54 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
genuine BD Cricket fan
Wasim Akram - well respected - yes, genuine BD cricket fan - A BIG NO.

If he were to come here in this board even without letting us know that its him, then we'd know from his words that he is definitely not a genuine BD cricket fan.

But I agree that he is a general cricket fan.
Old December 14, 2004, 02:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Quote:
genuine BD Cricket fan
Wasim Akram - well respected - yes, genuine BD cricket fan - A BIG NO.

If he were to come here in this board even without letting us know that its him, then we'd know from his words that he is definitely not a genuine BD cricket fan.

But I agree that he is a general cricket fan.
Ok Ok its my fault.
Akram is not a genuine BD cricket fan

Atleast we will agree that he not against BD cricket or aleast much more BD cricket fan than Ganguly, Gavasker, Richardson, etc...

Edited on, December 14, 2004, 7:26 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old December 14, 2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Fazal...write that 500 times as a punishment

General cricket fan? what do you mean? of course he's a general cricket fan...it's his life!
Old December 14, 2004, 03:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Administrators and all who govern this website!:

You guys have made it possible for us to come together and exchange information about our first and only love.....bd cricket. I have a request :tiger:

Please find out and tell us WHY our cricket board does not have a regular schedule for the bangladesh A team. Why do we not compete in domestic competitions in the windies, india, pakistan and sri lanka? We are in the best part of the world to develop our cricket, why isn't the board taking advantage of our geography by sending teams (mainly A team, development squad, U-19) to out neighbouring countries? What about a permanent A team coach? Also, why don't we have a proper domestic cricket competition? As far as I know, our competitions run for only about 3 months (correct me if i'm wrong). Please do this....for us!
Old December 14, 2004, 04:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by aosaif

You guys have made it possible for us to come together and exchange information about our first and only love.....bd cricket. I have a request :tiger:

Please find out and tell us WHY our cricket board does not have a regular schedule for the bangladesh A team. Why do we not compete in domestic competitions in the windies, india, pakistan and sri lanka? We are in the best part of the world to develop our cricket, why isn't the board taking advantage of our geography by sending teams (mainly A team, development squad, U-19) to out neighbouring countries? What about a permanent A team coach? Also, why don't we have a proper domestic cricket competition? As far as I know, our competitions run for only about 3 months (correct me if i'm wrong). Please do this....for us!

Have you been hibernating? If the answer is no then I am assuming you are new to BD cricket and don't know a lot of the background. Do some work with the mouse and you'll get most of the answers.
Old December 14, 2004, 04:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Mice also work fine.
Old December 14, 2004, 05:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Maybe Zim and SL showed a lot of character, but I believe our situation is different. Firstly, there's too much cricket going on, yes we are playing too much, but thats what u gotta do as a test nation these days. Secondly, perhaps we did get test status a little too early, but things weren't really moving forward for our cricket before test status. Only now is the money rolling in. Thirdly, BD crowds are unforgiving, threatening, spontaneous bunch and puts players under a lotta pressure when they play at home. Honestly, it'll take no fewer than 10 years for us to win our first test match (i still don't think we'll beat zimbabwe), but its'll be worth the wait. 10 years is alright for me.

Yo Ganesh. U are one awsum indian fan. Good opinions, objective.

Thank you.

As long as people realize the pains one has to go through for supporting the latest entrant and not to mention a country which didn't have a great First class cricket structure not so long ago it is fine. As you say 10 years is not really a big deal if money is not rolling in. There is no point questioning if BD deserves test status after 4 years. I know a lot of people even BD fans are asking that question. We are where we are and should see what can be done over the next 4-5 years. May be taking a trip and playing A teams of other test teams over next 3-4 years, besides the regular test series could help. Many A team guys would make it to big league. That will mean you are not intimidated by them when you play them at the big stage. BD shouldn't play India much in the time. Losing to neighboring country in any sport won't go well with fans. After every loss to your neighbor, people will say sack x, sack y etc. That is not a very good thing. Hope BD work their way out in next 3-4 years.
Old December 14, 2004, 06:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by ghor_jamai
Quote:

Have you been hibernating? If the answer is no then I am assuming you are new to BD cricket and don't know a lot of the background. Do some work with the mouse and you'll get most of the answers.
Well go ahead and tell me. Is it too complicated to explain?
Old December 15, 2004, 10:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Daat fele daater jonno maya kanna!!!!!

http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/def...iColumnistID=1
Old December 15, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

One interesting comment by this writer: "Who does whatmore thinks are stars in the team? what is his plan of making stars, since he thinks BD needs some stars. How come Bashar, Pilot, Rafique's are not stars. If he is still working on making stars, why successful seniors and stars were dropped when current bunch apparently still cannot perform as good as the older one did?"
Old December 15, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

SAD News for any coach!! Rajin wants to talk to Dravid, Tedulkar. Javed, Bashar, Pilot (the whole team) wants to sit down and talk to Ganguli (Janakantha reports). Pacers want to talk to Wasim...etc etc.

Looks like everybody wants to talk to anybody who they find around. Why not just talk to the coach? Is it possible that they have nothing else to talk about and learn from the coach. Are they losing confidence on their coach?

Sad indeed.
Old December 16, 2004, 02:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

What is wrong if players want to talk to top players of the game. If the players are willing to learn,such talk can be invaluable. Pathan is a vastly improved bowler because of his talks with Akram, to give just one example. Even top players, when they are in a slump, talk to ex cricketers and benefit from their advise. I remember Ganguly had gone to Australia to talk to Greg Chapell before Indian tour of Australia last year. Talking with other cricketers does not mean that a player has lost faith in his coach. It only means that the player is willing to learn from others.
Old December 16, 2004, 03:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

The way our players are seeking appoinments of Indian gurus it seems that they are from a associate member country!

Edited on, December 16, 2004, 8:38 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old December 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally posted by arafath79
Daat fele daater jonno maya kanna!!!!!

http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/def...iColumnistID=1
An utterly blindfolded disgusting article! What does this guy try to prove? That our cricket would return to the right track again if all the oldies were brought back to team?? What nonsense! Seems like this guy never do some research with stats before getting overboard with the ex players. I wonder if our ex cricketers gave bribe to this numskulled nincompoop to justify their rehabilitation in BD team.
Old December 16, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

yep navarene...their article writers are simply rubbish. They don't sound very educated to me. Probably catering to simmilar type of audience. No disrespect.
Old December 16, 2004, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I met few sports writers of Bangladesh media at UK. They were covering ICC champions trophy. Most of them were interested something else than cricket.
I can imagine why so many rubbish articles are continuously produced by BD media. (except in Prothom alo and Daily Star, you can hardly get a good sports article).