facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2007, 06:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS Dhoni(India)
Default i cant understand how come bd fans think that they r the 2011 wc champs

i apologise if this post hurts anyone feelings out here, but then bangladesh have just started to show some improvement now and started to best the big teams beaing nz(warm-up), ind and sa, but then they r inconsistent as well like losing to ireland and england(2 games which bangladesh should have won). bangladesh r now in a in-between position where they r not bad enough to be called "minnows" and not strong enough to be called a "big team", however some more wins over big teams might change that soon, however they have lost their minnow tag in this wc.

but then some fans r getting way too over-excited with bd performance saying that they will win the 2011 wc. 1 thing is there that bd winning 2011 wc will be a far bigger surprise than india winning in 1983 and sri lanka winning in 1996. however bd will be in with a great chance to make the super-8 or even super-6(if that format is taken again), but i do not c bd winning the wc but they might have some chance in the 2015 wc. its time bd fans got a bit realistic also and ended this over-optimism. for the last 7-8 years, bd fans have been saying indian fans to get realistic, but thats changing now with indian fans asking bd fans to get realistic.

as of now, bangladesh should aim at getting their 1st ever test win over a big team and their 2nd test win overall.

Old April 20, 2007, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If in the super6, why not the champ?

jokes aside, i am sure the fans are not asking them to be the wc2011 champ. All we want is that they keep up improving, learn from their mistakes and never-say-die. The result, be the champion or runners up does not matter.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd_fan_from_india
i apologise if this post hurts anyone feelings out here, but then bangladesh have just started to show some improvement now and started to best the big teams beaing nz(warm-up), ind and sa, but then they r inconsistent as well like losing to ireland and england(2 games which bangladesh should have won). bangladesh r now in a in-between position where they r not bad enough to be called "minnows" and not strong enough to be called a "big team", however some more wins over big teams might change that soon, however they have lost their minnow tag in this wc.

but then some fans r getting way too over-excited with bd performance saying that they will win the 2011 wc. 1 thing is there that bd winning 2011 wc will be a far bigger surprise than india winning in 1983 and sri lanka winning in 1996. however bd will be in with a great chance to make the super-8 or even super-6(if that format is taken again), but i do not c bd winning the wc but they might have some chance in the 2015 wc. its time bd fans got a bit realistic also and ended this over-optimism. for the last 7-8 years, bd fans have been saying indian fans to get realistic, but thats changing now with indian fans asking bd fans to get realistic.

as of now, bangladesh should aim at getting their 1st ever test win over a big team and their 2nd test win overall.
the reason we didn't do well in barbados is the same reason India got thrashed in ODI series against south africa in south africa. so we can't blame our players, its our infrastructure. we never had bouncy pitches in sub-continent.

4 years, there are lots to be done. but if we can stay focused and try hard, we will have a competitive side by 2011. we are inconsistent but we need to work on that. winning WC11 is not a unrealistic dream but it will take hell of a effort.
Old April 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We may not be champions, but we can at least hope to beat teams more consistently by then. Semi-final should be our next target, and who knows what can happen. You worry about India. With most of your star players gone by then, how will you reach super-8?
Old April 20, 2007, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

hahahahaha.... funniest thread!I might be a bit too optimistic when I say that we are going to win the world cup. Yes, I am but I am setting goals. Just like Bangladeshi team set goals before going for the goal which is the 2nd round. The target is getting bigger and bigger obviously, and the players will start peaking around that time and probably reach their absolute prime by 2015 for sure but 2011 will be the period when the team will be both matured and young in a way. They would have come to terms with their talent with performance. You can already see a lot of our youngsters (Ashraful/Mash/Razzak) starting to show improved signs of maturity. They are only 23/24 now. Probably by the next world cup Tamim/Nadif/Mushfique will be in the same league as them. And if you don't think Mash/Ash/Razzak are world class now then I have nothing to say.....

As for the 2011 world cup winning target, I do not think even one bit that it is unrealistic. Our team is going to be formed with a new captain a new coach just for that target right from this world cup. All I know is that the next target is to be right up there as the title contenders and not super-eight which has already been achieved.

And did I forget to mention, we are playing it in our home~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 20, 2007, 07:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:

Actually you misunderstood the whole thing. Yes, we are dreaming but we are keeping our feet on the ground as well. Going to semi-final in WC 2011 will be the real target for us. If we can accomplish that target then championship will be only 2 wins away. LOL.

We know our real condition of the team. We know how much potentials we have along with which sectors we need to improve. You might have seen that there wasn't any nasty criticism from BD fans when BD lost to Ireland. Everybody took it as a bad day. We know how to dream yet still know how to keep our feet on the ground.
Old April 20, 2007, 07:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist

Bangladesh have improved considerably, but they have a heap more improving to do before anyone can talk about winning the 2011 WC. For starters, most other teams will also be doing their own improving - the environment is not static. BD will have to improve at a better rate than their competitors to improve their chances of victory.

Anyone who has suggested that they can win the 2011 WC now is smoking too much mull.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZGOD

Anyone who has suggested that they can win the 2011 WC now is smoking too much mull.
Most BC members are naturally high and they dont need anything beside to alter their state of mind!

BD has a VERY realistic chance to go all the way come next World Cup. The key would be retaining most of the players from this bunch and groom them well. The average age of the current squad is 22 and ,therefore, they will be in their prime by the next CWC both mentally and physically. Having said that, its a long way to go till then. Hard work and constant improvement has to be made along the way.

The advantage of BD team over others is that we already have core players for the next CWC- Ashraful, Mashrafi, Razzak, Aftab, Mushfiq, Saqib, Rasel, Shahadat et all! Add to that Alok Kapali, Enamul, Farhad and one or two more. Its very formidable, indeed!

BD's success at U19 level is also another good indicator. Therefore, winning consistently by the next CWC is very realistic! Nothing should be taken for granted though. Good coach, good management, hard work, grooming existing players, keeping a stable squad, long-term planning, leadership training, improving domestic standards will pave the way for unprecedented succeess!

Last edited by BanCricFan; April 20, 2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old April 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

BD winning the 2011 WC is as unrealistic/realistic a aim as India winning the 2007 WC was....beat that...

Its not about winning the championship itself (although I'll admit to having that as my phone intro msg since the 2003 WC), its about setting targets...

If anyone who was watching the Indian team right before the WC could honestly say they could win the WC, they were probably smoking stronger stuff than us.

Actually, I dont see why the question of India came in...

I honestly think we have a good chance at the semis for 2011. We'll have a good mature team by then..and we'll hopefully do even better than this performance (i.e. semis!!)
Old April 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Most BC members are naturally high and they dont need anything beside to alter their state of mind!

BD has a VERY realistic chance to go all the way come next World Cup. The key would be retaining most of the players from this bunch and groom them well. The average age of the current squad is 22 and ,therefore, they will be in their prime by the next CWC both mentally and physically. Having said that, its a long way to go till then. Hard work and constant improvement has to be made along the way.

The advantage of BD team over others is that we already have core players for the next CWC- Ashraful, Mashrafi, Razzak, Aftab, Mushfiq, Saqib, Rasel, Shahadat et all! Add to that Alok Kapali, Enamul, Farhad and one or two more. Its very formidable, indeed!

BD's success at U19 level is also another good indicator. Therefore, winning consistently by the next CWC is very realistic! Nothing should be taken for granted though. Good coach, good management, hard work, grooming existing players, keeping a stable squad, long-term planning, leadership training, improving domestic standards will pave the way for unprecedented succeess!
I think that you definitely have a serious chance at a semi-final spot in 2011 - but there's still a bit of a way to go, in terms of batting consistency and getting a bit more variety in your bowling attack. Some of the attributes you suggested (good coach, good management, improving domestic standards, grooming existing players, leadership, to name just a few) are critical and your team will have to make sure they put these in place well before 2001, as they take a few years to take effect. Improving domestic standards is one of the key activities and will take a while - it took the OZ about 10 years to improve the standard of the Pura Cup/ING Cup to the point where it was considered one of the best first-class competitions in the world.

One of the things that people don't always think about is that teams don't exist in a vacuum - other teams will also be implementing programs to make sure that they improve and make sure that these improvements are sustainable. Teams like OZ, NZ, SA, India, Pak and so on will all be looking to improve and build on their young players to make sure that they are in a position to consistently deliver quality performances leading up to the 2001 tournament, so BD will have to make sure that their rate of improvement exceeds those of other competitors.

It's good that people are optimistic though! Good luck.

Last edited by OZGOD; April 20, 2007 at 08:41 AM..
Old April 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I don't feel that most BC members think that Bangladesh will be world champion in 2011.

Definitely Bangladesh will pose more threat to the oppositions and will be a much more improved side, no doubt.

Unless we start beating quality oppositions regularly, our glimpses of achievements will not assure success in any ODI tournament.
Old April 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

I think we have better chance to qualify for semi,
Old April 20, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Four more years to go, lets see how we proceed in these years. Now that we will have a new coach, things are also going to be different for the team.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Only selected few says we will win the 2011 cup. Even among them some have doubt in their minds. So as the thread title generalizes it, that is not the fact.

If someone says, "You are a donkey" that don't make me a donkey. So take what is worth, think rationally.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 20, 2007 at 11:21 AM..
Old April 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
i cant understand how come bd fans think that they r the 2011 wc champs
Well... take it as a "die-hard-fan-thing" and surely not literally.
Its somewhat like the WestIndians, English and Indian fans hoping that they would win the 2007 WC.. even though deep inside they all knew very well how much of a dream-achievement it would had it happened.

BD fans do know well to carefully seperate dreams and expectations.
Old April 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

simple. the same way indian and pakistani fans thougth their teams had a realistic shot at the 07 championship: its called over-optimism.

but if you look at the distance travelled by BD from 03 to 07 and project that for 07-11, then it makes a lot of sense.

whether that improve keeps going at the same average rate is a completely different assumption, however.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Dont pay too much attention to what Amit says, he has a bad habbit of putting words in your mouth. Just coz few BC members said or made a wishfull comment that Bangladesh will win the WC 2011, he is posting why BD fans think that way as if all fans think that.

Actually this is not that bad, soon you will see worse accusations, he always does that and eventually gets himself banned. Happend too many times.
Old April 20, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Not us dude. Not us. Target the coach of the BD academy team - Allister de Winter. This is what he had to say just yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCricket
When can Bangladesh hope to be among the leading cricket playing nations?

Allister: Within five years. I strongly believe that when these players (academy scholars) will form the majority of the team Bangladesh will start winning the Test matches. I also consider Bangladesh as one of the title contenders for the 2011 World Cup because that team will be full of Academy players.
You can check out the whole article here
Old April 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

lol, Amit's at it again.

btw, i like this de Winter dude quite a bit. i think he's doing an excellent job in building professionalism among the academy players and we all see the virtue of discipline when we look at the flock coming into the national team from the U-19 side. we need someone like him to be the next coach - someone who does not necessarily have a high profile, but is good at getting his hands dirty and getting the job done.

it's time to lure him into the forum by complaining about the academy team's performances, just as we did to McInnes
Old April 20, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cricket Sage

>> i cant understand how come bd fans think that they r the 2011 wc champs

Don't understand the fans (who think BD will be 2011 WC champs) here?

Then read the thread....posted by BD4eve.

Quote:
When can Bangladesh hope to be among the leading cricket playing nations?

Allister(Academy team coach ): Within five years. I strongly believe that when these players (academy scholars) will form the majority of the team Bangladesh will start winning the Test matches. I also consider Bangladesh as one of the title contenders for the 2011 World Cup because that team will be full of Academy players.

Still you don't believe it? Then I guess you have to ask the question to our (Australian) Academy team coach Allister about that.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

it's tough talk by us (the b'deshi fans). it's a form of ecouragement. it's pretty early to say whether b'desh will win the next world cup or not.
Old April 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Ash, Sakib, Mash

let wait nd watch.......4yrs left wow!
Old April 20, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricfanz
If anyone who was watching the Indian team right before the WC could honestly say they could win the WC, they were probably smoking stronger stuff than us.
Old April 20, 2007, 03:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Why not ?

Thinking abt it, the BD team looks a lot like the Indian team that won in '83.

My best comparison would be Mortaza with Kapil (may be too early ..but )

Mortaza is what Kapil was to the Indian team then..

--The Lone Pacer (ofcourse we had others and BD has others too ..) but it was Kapil and co then and Mortaza and co now.

--A likely candidate for captancy

--A hard hitter (But has to be more consistent to be reach the league of Allrounders)

--Charismatic like Kapil .

And even Tamim might be matured by then ..a la Srikanth to unnerve the bowlers.

what BD needs is just a couple of world class Batsmen in the middle liek Gavaskar,Vishy or Vensarkar.

Saqib,Ash will have to make rapid strides to fill that up.

And more importantly BD has the bits and pieces allrounders that India had then .
Old April 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

A lot of the younger fans on the forum had very unrealistic expectations of the BD cricket team, whereas the older, more mature and more cricket-educated members had their feet on the ground.

I believe anything is possible. BD beat New Zealand, South Africa and India in the past month or so and by 4 years they will be far stronger and will be able to beat these teams on a more regular basis. However the Ozzie dominance of world cup cricket is truly awesome and it seems like they are unstoppable in this world cup and perhaps maybe even in the next, who knows.

So in other words if our cricket team can beat South Africa, India and New Zealand in ODIs (though all 3 of those teams are better than BD) then not only can they do that in 4 years time, they can do it more regularly and perhaps get to the same level as Australia.
Closed Thread