facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Is bullying allowed in cricket match?

So often you see the interaction between the bowler and the bastmans in a game of cricket after a wonderful delivery or whenever there is a Polaroid momnet on the pitch. You see smiles all around. Nice to see those players often share a smile with their oponents.

Media probably don't cover this aspect of the game as much but bullying in a cricket match does happen. A common trait of Australians is to verbally bully their opponents whether they are batting or bowling.

I understand there is a fair bit of rivalry whenever Aussies play England. Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting and few other players were verbally taunting few of the English players during the last Ashes series both in England and in Australia. Shane Warne was calling Ian Bell "The sherminator" (American Pie) and all sorts. Eventually he got out. I am sure he was trying to teach the big bullys a lesson and failed. Australi's dirty tactics worked once again.

Worldcup 2007. Aus v SA. Near the end of SA innings Aussie bowlers were at it again. All SA batsman was saying, "Bring it one mate, bring it on!"

BD v IND - Patel was exchanging words with Tamim. We have no idea what was going on I am sure Patel was trying to mentally effect Tamim's performance. Fortunately for us Tamim replied like a true tiger. Harbajan Singh was even trying trip Saqib when he was trying to run between the wickets.

I just think this sort of unprofessional attitude mentally somehow effects the batsmans when they are so focused to play a good innings. Mind you, this happens right infront of Umpire's nose. Players don't complain about and the authorities take it lightly. Even though it's good for viewers I think players should play their innings uneffected and entertain us.

Some might not recognise this as bullying but bullying in any shape or form should be eradicated from everywhere.

I guess i am the only one who thinks it this way.

Old April 28, 2007, 11:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

man this is regular and used often in cricket.

this is a way to put pressure on batters.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

So you can't disagree with umpire's decision or or else you lose your wages to them yet you can verbally taunt your opponents and effect their game??
Old April 28, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

I think that this shouldn't be allowed in International Cricket!!!I have faced these kind of stuff before too in my academy and it is distracting and etc and I really think that players should complain about it to the officials and they should take this matter seriously!!!!
Old April 28, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I don't care about the other cases, but I really hated it when Harbhajan was trying to stop the batsman from taking a run by holding his leg. And the spineless umpire was just looking and laughing at it. Shameless.
Old April 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Australian's are good at it. Their player are tought how to do it from earliest time in their career.
Old April 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
Street Cricketer

a true proffesional can ignore it.

SA are the worst for being put off their game by sledging
Old April 28, 2007, 06:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I don't care about the other cases, but I really hated it when Harbhajan was trying to stop the batsman from taking a run by holding his leg. And the spineless umpire was just looking and laughing at it. Shameless.
That was a mock effort. It was funny.
Old April 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1974
Australian's are good at it. Their player are tought how to do it from earliest time in their career.
Without being racist (and I hope I don't offend any Aussies)..it's in their DNA :p
Old April 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
That was a mock effort. It was funny.
May be to you and a few others. But to me, it was a genuine cheap shot.
Old April 28, 2007, 10:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by damalChele
Without being racist (and I hope I don't offend any Aussies)..it's in their DNA :p
It is in every pro cricket team's DNA. you should have heard what BD players said when they played zimbo, scotts or some other weaker teams.

Its also part of the game.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
It is in every pro cricket team's DNA. you should have heard what BD players said when they played zimbo, scotts or some other weaker teams.

Its also part of the game.
What were they saying? Im intrigued now.
Old April 29, 2007, 05:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

weak teams only? I heard Mushy repeatedly talking about felling the No1s when SA was batting (even before any wickets fell)...

Its not unprofessional in any way, in my opinion. I agree, any real professional will know how to ignore the taunts and stay calm...

If the sledges get really personal (I remember some news a few years back about some batsman trying to sledge McGrath about his sick wife, who was suffering from cancer), or racist for that matter, it gets below the belt and at that point, its plain disgusting and worthy of censure...But friendly(or hostile) banter is harmless...

Besides as far as I know, the players are always welcome to ask the umpires to step in and ask the opponents to tone it down, as I've seen in many cases..
Old April 29, 2007, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
I think that this shouldn't be allowed in International Cricket!!!I have faced these kind of stuff before too in my academy and it is distracting and etc and I really think that players should complain about it to the officials and they should take this matter seriously!!!!
Weak as piss. Mental disintegration is part of the game. So long as it's not racist or overly personal I don't have a problem with it.
Old April 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricfanz
If the sledges get really personal (I remember some news a few years back about some batsman trying to sledge McGrath about his sick wife, who was suffering from cancer), or racist for that matter, it gets below the belt and at that point, its plain disgusting and worthy of censure...But friendly(or hostile) banter is harmless...
What I found very interesting about the McGrath incident was the argument from many sides to the effect that it is alright to sledge that way if your wife is healthy but it is beyond the bounds if your wife is sick.
Old April 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
What I found very interesting about the McGrath incident was the argument from many sides to the effect that it is alright to sledge that way if your wife is healthy but it is beyond the bounds if your wife is sick.
i think Sarwan was involved in that incident but it was McGrath who started that.
Old April 29, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
sakib should have stumped on his sorry hand.

but that was funny. it was like a heart broken girlfriend, on her knees begging him not to leave her
Old April 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

cricket is an intense game and the competition is directly between the batsman and the bowler. i guess it is ok, if the bowler passes a comment every now and then, the batsmen usually dont mind. it is part of the game as it is a physical and intense sport, not a video game. But the umpires need to step in if it crosses the limit.
Old April 29, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
May be to you and a few others. But to me, it was a genuine cheap shot.
Nah, I thought it just showed the desperation on Harbhajan's part. When someone does that, you know he's already lost mentally.
Old April 29, 2007, 11:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Watch this clip and tell me this is not bullying in it's purest form. Mark Boucher targeting on a low order batsman of Zimbawe. This is absolutely one of the most disgusting incident I have seen in cricket. Look at the expression on the young batsman face. He is more terrified of Mark Boucher's next comment than the ball itself. It's like a clip straight from some Hollywood movie where the some big boys picking on some guy and tearing him apart. Unbelievable! Mofo's like Marck Boucher should be reported.

SA is a great team with many great players. They didn't have to engage in this sort of ugliness to win a game against a lesser opponent. I can imgine our young tigers facing this kind verbal abuse in the the future as they get better and better. I would advise them to put the bat on the ground, steady yourself and then launch a bruce-lee kick in between the legs of whoever attempts to unsettle them.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cricket Guru

he wasn't tail ender man, thats taibu. zimbabwean captain.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

fair enough. I don't know most of the ZW players. But you are missing the point.
Old April 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by damalChele
fair enough. I don't know most of the ZW players. But you are missing the point.
That was kinda ugly...never liked Mark Boucher, but now I actually have him after seeing this. Great find though.
Old April 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NFbVx0uN8
Old April 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Boucher is a freakin [edit]

Last edited by Ehsan; April 29, 2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: watch the language. mod.content