facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
We the bangladeshis always find politics in everything. this is really a bad habit. It seems that you don't like Awami leage, it does not matter but please don't bring politics everywhere and keep the discussion within itself.
Well by now from other response you can see I have raised a valid concern and which is with in the topic. captancy of SN. And it doesn't matter who I like or not they r all the same and history repeats it self at least clearlyin BD. And even if u and I don't like it politics is in every where or else some body like COCO who never even got a chance to play for para DOHS team (he was not even in first 15 for the Para DOHS team not the 1st division one) can run BCCB from ...

Quote:

BTW, how Naimur Rahman became a dictator? I am interested to know. Would you kindly tell me pls?
I read players comment How he use to seat by him self no-body could talk to him with out permission and he was making players work for him and his party whether they liked it or not and there was huge distance between him while captain and the other players. Unfortunately I don't have the link or remember where I read it but I am sure who ever use to follow bd cricket at that time can point you to those time articles...
Quote:

I don't think our cricket is in such a position where politics can bring a huge change in the team although 'some bits and pieces' are expected according to our political tradion and this thing will not change unless we get a very good generation. I believe we will get that generation very soon. The future is bright!
You r dreaming my friend it doen't matter how significant it is our politians never lets it go untill there r no money involved and as we know cricket is a big money machine for bd and so all the politics is involved with it.
You r right that 'some bits and pieces' changes will happen and that was my concern whether they will see it as an BNP montivated thing and remove him like BNP did with durjoy or they can above that if they come to power..
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled

Old August 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
sorry to dissapoint u mate..but politics does play a BIG BIG role in our sports.
if AL comes in power,there will be a complete overhaul of the current administrators in BD cricket, including the selectors. and unfortunately, few players would also get a chop.

the reason Durjoy, Mehrab Snr, Biddut got axed cuz of the politics.
akabir77 has raised a valid point here.
sad but true.
admins? yes. but i can't agree with you on that the same will happen to the players as well. mehrab snr and bidyut didn't lose their place due to politics: let's face it, at one point in their career, they simply sucked. now if you want to blame the infrastructure/lack of planning for that, it's a different story and i will agree with you. as for durjoy, i dont quite remember what happened, so i wont comment on that.

besides, by now we know that be it AL or BNP that's in power, our cricket admins are not too bad. so i'm not worried about a change in board either - surely there's nothing with having Saber as the president?
Old August 29, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Everything is looking good for Abir so far.

Quote:
"I was not upset because I believe that the time has come to groom someone for the future, otherwise it would be a big problem for our team. But we should keep faith with someone for a while before taking any decision,"

- Khaled Mashud

Daily Star
Old August 29, 2006, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
But we should keep faith with someone for a while before taking any decision
i hope he's referring to abeer's vice-captaincy.
Old August 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

hartal'er jonno practice bhondho? What a country. Grrrr!!
Old August 29, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Everything is looking good for Abir so far.
No. Pilot just said what he was suppose to say but then the truth spilled out at the end. A guy who can't control his tongue can't be a good captain.
Old August 29, 2006, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

You can interpret what Pilot said in many ways. One interpretion could be- don't rush Mehrab Jr or Mushfiq in Abir's position after a year. Other interpretion could be- leave my position in the team alone and I won't mess with Abir. Only God knows what exactly Pilot meant by the last line.

Anyway, so far he is taking the situation as a professional sportsman should.
Old August 29, 2006, 04:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Why is BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam is talking about selection of Vice-captain? Where are our notorious crapy selectors? Is this job responsibility of every BCB member? kind of confused..........
Old August 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak_Pion
Why is BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam is talking about selection of Vice-captain? Where are our notorious crapy selectors? Is this job responsibility of every BCB member? kind of confused..........
The BCCB main body kept the power of selecting the captain and the vc in their own hands, the selectors are never given this authority. Not only in Bangladesh, this is the general case among most of the other cricket boards of the world too.

I hope your confusion is cleared now.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
admins? yes. but i can't agree with you on that the same will happen to the players as well. mehrab snr and bidyut didn't lose their place due to politics: let's face it, at one point in their career, they simply sucked. now if you want to blame the infrastructure/lack of planning for that, it's a different story and i will agree with you. as for durjoy, i dont quite remember what happened, so i wont comment on that.

besides, by now we know that be it AL or BNP that's in power, our cricket admins are not too bad. so i'm not worried about a change in board either - surely there's nothing with having Saber as the president?
I agree with ATMR that Mehrab Sr and Shahrier Hossein did not loose their place for politics at all. People might say different thing but not necessarily we have to believe everything. Shahrier and Mehrab didn't perform that well to keep their place in the team. As for Shahrier- once he said he was busy with his family business and then he submitted his resignation letter. I can remember in 2004 he played his last match in Zimbabwe tour. Plus he has been out of cricket after the 1999 WC, still he came back but could not continue. So you can't say that politics killed him. Mehrab's storey is also pretty much same.

As for Naimur, I cant remember everything but he was axed in the middle of a series when Bd did very bad against the Zombies.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Read the TigerCricket interview

(http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=189)

then you will appreciate why he was chosen. He has a good head. He knows his place too. Furthermore, he conceeded that being chosen as VC doesn't automatically place him in the playing eleven.
Old August 31, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

A different type of article about Shahriar Nafees. Check it out:

An evening with an elegant batsman

As I got into my car, en route to a meeting with one of the greatest talents ever produced by the Bangladeshi cricket team, there were a number of thoughts running in my mind. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous, after all I was going to meet a person who managed to score a century against the likes of Shane Warne and Brett Lee. Flashes of his great batting and his sayings were constantly occurring in my mind. I was so excited that at one point I actually forgot his address and almost entered a wrong building! So after what seemed like ages, I finally got into the correct building and reached the correct floor. With a lot of courage I finally managed to ring the doorbell (I actually pressed it twice by mistake). The door opened and there he was, Shahriar Nafees standing there, very calm and collective. We shook hands and he introduced himself to me, which was obviously not required. I mean, almost the whole country knows who Shahriar Nafees is. After a consistent number of performances in the under 19 and the Bangladesh A team, Shahriar Nafees finally got the chance play for the national side. His debut match was pitted against England. When asked if he was nervous, he replied that chasing a total of 394 on your first one day international can be very nervy. Though he got out on 10 in that match he came back brilliantly with a mature 75 against the Australians in the last match of the Nat west series, thereby showing the selectors that he wasn't a wrong catch.

“Life is quite different now that I am a full fledged cricketer” he says. He goes out a lot lesser and is quite busy training at the field. During his off times he usually is busy studying for his exams in Dhaka University, which are scheduled a bit later specially for him. He still manages to keep up with his studies along with his cricketing career. In a short time, Shariar Nafees who loves to play the cover drive and also loves to field at the slips has already built quite a few land marks in his career. To him however, his most favorite and most memorable innings was against Australia in the recent test series that took place in Bangladesh. He scored 138 runs against a bowling attack that contained bowlers of the highest category. “That was the best moment for me, it was something different” he says. Playing at the highest level of international cricket naturally tends to put any cricketer under pressure and Shahriar Nafees was no different. He says that there is definitely a lot of pressure defending your country, especially because the people of Bangladesh are quite emotional. But pressure is a psychological thing and one can only be free from it by not thinking about it and playing one's own natural game. Well till now he has been quite successful and every successful person has an idol and an inspiration. So was the case with Shahriar Nafees, he says that when he was a kid he loved watching Sachin Tendulkar play, as he grew up Justin Langer, the left-handed Australian opener became his main idol. He further said that it was mainly because of his parents support that he has been able to play for the national side and without their support none of this would have been possible. When asked if there was any bowler in international cricket that he would rather not face, he replied boldly by saying that there are many good bowlers in cricket, but everyone is playable and there is no one that he would rather not face.

By this time I thought of switching the topic away from cricket and decided to ask him a few questions about his other activities. Food is the way to a man's heart and the same goes for Shahriar as he prefers home made food instead of fast food and also neglects going to restaurants. He enjoys hanging out with his friends in his university or has fun in an all night stay over party at his home with all his friends. He loves listening to music, especially to the underground bands of Dhaka; Artcell being one of his favorite bands. He doesn't have much of a hobby, other than listening to music and playing cricket. The one thing that he always does after coming back from a tour is to spend some time and roam around with his girlfriend. Some sportsmen tend to have a specific hairstyle for quite a while, that is not the case with Shahriar as he likes to vary his hair style quite regularly. Neither does he like to be too fancy with his dress up as he prefers to dress as casually as possible.

Still only twenty years of age, Shahriar Nafees has a long way to go in his career. His main aim is to be a consistent player for Bangladesh as long as he plays and he also hopes that he can better his personal performance and can do something special for his team. At the end of the day he gave away a scintillating message for all the rising star readers by saying that “this is an age (teenage) when one should try to do more of the positive things rather than just wasting there times on other unnecessary activities. They should also know how to distinguish between the good and the bad. Most importantly whatever they do, they must get educated in order to be successful in their future lives."

So that was it, a wonderful evening spent with the very talented Shahriar Nafees. I am sure he is not much of a stranger to me or to most of u, now that we know many things about him. Coming up next for him and the Bangladeshi team is the ICC championship trophy and the long awaited World Cup. I on behalf of “the Rising Stars” wish Shahriar Nafees and the whole Bangladeshi cricket team, the very best of luck for their future games.

By Naimul Karim

Source: Rising Stars
Old August 31, 2006, 06:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
if thats the good news....then I don't know what are the examples of bad news?
if he plays with his injured hand and sit out during WC2007
Old August 31, 2006, 07:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash, Nasir

Durjoy lost his place from national team due to his form. he could have lost his place earlier if he wasn't captain. me and my otehr friends were talking abt him like whenever he will loose the captaincy he will loose the place as well and that's what happened. He always score quick 20 and got out and forgot how to bowl. politics wasn't involved there at all.

bidduyt was simply unfit and mehrab started enjoing with fenci. so they got what they deserved. i don't think politics won't play any role selecting the team, it might do little bit on selectors.
Go bd
Old September 1, 2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
A different type of article about Shahriar Nafees. Check it out:
nice...seems like one of the cooler guys in the side

Quote:
Some sportsmen tend to have a specific hairstyle for quite a while, that is not the case with Shahriar as he likes to vary his hair style quite regularly.

hairstyles are made to be broken.

by the way, he's not all that elegant. in all fairness, he has a flawed technique, just like the rest of our batsmen (ash excluded, perhaps).
Old September 1, 2006, 11:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
BTW, how Naimur Rahman became a dictator? I am interested to know. Would you kindly tell me pls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I read players comment How he use to seat by him self no-body could talk to him with out permission and he was making players work for him and his party whether they liked it or not and there was huge distance between him while captain and the other players. Unfortunately I don't have the link or remember where I read it but I am sure who ever use to follow bd cricket at that time can point you to those time articles...
I also read the same type story in some newspaper about Durjoy's dictatorship.
Old September 1, 2006, 04:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Isn't Shahriar Nafees related to our chief selector Farouq? I hate to point it out. I do not see any sane reason for Shahriar to be our vice captain. Captain need experience. He need to learn how to be a better batsman first. Silmilar experiment with Rajin has produce niether a better batsman nor a better vice captain. Uncle Farouq will destroy Shariars prospect by putting him in a tough position.

Last edited by shujan; September 1, 2006 at 05:01 PM..
Old September 1, 2006, 05:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Isn't Shahriar Nafees related to our chief selector Farouq? I hate to point it out. I do not see any sane reason for Shahriar to be our vice captain. Captain need experience. He need to learn how to be a better batsman first. Silmilar experiment with Rajin has produce niether a better batsman nor a better vice captain. Uncle Farouq will destroy Shariars prospect by putting him in a tough position.
Shahriar Nafees is Faruq's cousin. (Mamato Bhai). My cousin's friend knows about their family. Faruq also selected Rajin as captain in last champions trophy and Rajin used to play under Faruq's captaincy in City Club.

I was recently chatting with one of my cousins in BD who played with Sakibul Hassan and Mehrab jnr in U-17 level last year. He told me that without connection its hard to get call in national level. He even told me that Mehrab jnr has connection with BCB.
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old September 1, 2006, 06:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mridul
Shahriar Nafees is Faruq's cousin. (Mamato Bhai). My cousin's friend knows about their family. Faruq also selected Rajin as captain in last champions trophy and Rajin used to play under Faruq's captaincy in City Club.

I was recently chatting with one of my cousins in BD who played with Sakibul Hassan and Mehrab jnr in U-17 level last year. He told me that without connection its hard to get call in national level. He even told me that Mehrab jnr has connection with BCB.
Shariar is a good player. No doubt about it. He is in the team by his Merit. Mehrab is also qualified for national team. CEO from Zimbabwe I think did a good job making our selection process merit based. Having said that I never understood the rational for Rajin being VC. In professional world bosses will matter. IT happens in every proffession. This selection process should be under scrutiny at all time. Shariar should not be pressured with such responsibility in his 20. It will destroy his batting avg as he still has room for improvement as a batsman.

Bashar had some success as captain because he understand the game. He learned it by playing years after years. Farouq is an idiot. If he wants Shahriar to be a better player then he should relax his responsibility not over expose him by making him VC. Farouq should remember he cannot be chief selector for ever. I think Farouq is a good selector. He can be smarter though.

On a different note, My boss started me giving lighter project in the begining of my job. He gave me enough time to understand our software and what it does. It was quite a while before he introduced me to tougher project on designing software. Initially I thought this guy did not want me in his team . I was totally wrong. He did not want me to set for failure. He gave ample time to build skill naturally. Shariar also needed natural progression.

We do not have good domestic cricket system. Our supply of good national team cricketer will come from under 19. Truth is there is not that many promising player in the supply chain. Our selector should be carefull not to destroy whatever we have.
Old September 1, 2006, 10:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Why we found neopotism in everything. yes Faruq is a cousin of SN. But VC is made by board not by selectors. By the way, age and experince is nothing to do with captaincy. Evrybody agrees Grame Smith is a better captain than Pollock. Mansur Ali patudi who was appointed captain as a 21 yr old kid is considered as the best indian captain before Ganguli. Taibu was a better captain than HB. Even Utseya prove he is better thn Pilot. Smith, Patudi, Taibu, Utseya are all the same age group as SN.
Yes Rajin was a mistake. But it was not board's fault that he can not play with pressure. If board can foresee whetehr one can play with pressure or not ECB or BCCI never made Botham or Tendu as captain. Those two are much better experienced than BCB.
Now what are the alternative.
Rafiq : There is a difference between hard task master and hot tempered. While Imran, Naser Hossain fall in the first group , Rafiq is in the second group. He is very good player, have a good cricket brain. But you need to take out the best from your team mate. With his temper it is doubtful.
Pilot : Read 2003 WC debacle report. Captain shld lead by example. Going to night club before an important match is indeed a good example.
Ash : He did wonder for Sonargaon as captain. But can he lead by example? His place in the team is not secure anymore. Also what I heard, he was one of the cheif instigator of unrest in U 19 WC in New Zealand.
Aftab : He might be an option. But he captained only school team.
Mash : Same as Aftab. But bowlers have to think so many things during fielding, it would higher probabilty of failure than SN. That is the reason there is so few succesful bowling captain. Imran might be the only successful case. Even great Sobers is a failure as a captain.
SN beside captaining the A side has completed courses on captaincy. McInnes alos identified him as a future captain. McInnes is not a fan of him. Remember he dropped him from U19 world cup. Yes captains are born but it is always helpful if you have some training.
Regarding Mehrab jnr - he was the most successful player of U19 world cup. He rarely fail since than in any assignment whether for Dhaka or Bangladesh representative team. If he has connection in BCB why he was not drafted before sakib or Farhad.
This is the grooming process. Why making the water muddy by making some baseless accussion.
Old September 2, 2006, 10:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash, Nasir

future bd captain ..SN
Vice Captain .. MR..
write it down