facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

View Poll Results: Who is best Worl Cup goal scorer
Eusebio 0 0%
Pele 6 46.15%
Kempes 0 0%
Muller 0 0%
Rossi 0 0%
Linekar 1 7.69%
Maradona 4 30.77%
Klinsmann 0 0%
Stoichkov 0 0%
Ronaldo 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30, 2006, 12:13 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Who is the best world cup goal scorer

Here is the profile of the top ten world cup goal scoer. Let's see whom do you think is the best among the lot.

1. Eusebio (1966 - 9 Goals)
Known as "The Black Pearl" or "The Black Panther", Eusebio scored nine goals in the 1966 World Cup for Portugal, earning him the Golden Boot. England was so taken with the striker, a waxwork model was commissioned for Madame Tussaud's immediately after the tournament.

2. Pele (1958, 1962, 1966, 1970 - 12 goals)
He punched the schoolfriend who gave him his nickname, but Edson Arantes do Nascimento doesn't quite have the same ring to it. What more can you say about the world's most famous footballer - four World Cups, three triumphs for Brazil, 12 goals. Genius.

3. Mario Kempes (1974, 1978, 1982 - 6 goals)
He looked like Brian May, but "El Matador" did not need to stand on top of Buckingham Palace with a guitar to get noticed. Kempes bagged six goals in the 1978 event, including two in the final against Holland to help Argentina lift the World Cup on home soil.

4. Gerd Muller (1970, 1974 - 14 goals)
It seems most World Cup strikers worth their salt need a nickname and 'Der Bomber' was no different. Best known for scoring the winner in the 1974 World Cup final, Muller made his name four years earlier, plundering 10 goals for West Germany in Mexico.

5.Paolo Rossi (1978, 1982 - 9 goals)
If Rossi's story was a movie script it would have been rejected for being too sensational. Italian striker banned for match-fixing, allowed to play in '82 World Cup after suspension relaxed, scores six goals after scratchy start and gets Golden Boot as Italy win World Cup. See, utter tosh.

6. Gary Lineker (1986, 1990 - 10 goals)
In most school playgrounds Gary Lineker would have been known as a "goal-hanger", as well as the kid who stole your crisps. The Everton striker grabbed the Golden Boot in 1986 with six goals, including a memorable hat-trick against Poland, and added another four as England reached the semi-finals in 1990.

7. Diego Maradona (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994 - 8 goals)
Not the most prolific striker on the list, but arguably the most talented. Vilified for his 'Hand of God' goal against England in '86, he scored a corker in the same game. Later turned into Mr Blobby but played in a recent pro-celeb match and celebrated a penalty against Jamie Theakston as if he'd won another World Cup.

8. Jurgen Klinsmann (1990, 1994, 1998 - 11 goals)
The VW Beetle enthusiast was perhaps known more for diving than driving, receiving a barrage of abuse at the 1994 competition for failing to stay on his feet. Aside from his theatrics, Klinsmann was a lethal finisher, helping Germany to glory in 1990.

9. Hristo Stoichkov (1994, 1998 - 6 goals)
Bulgaria's greatest export since the Wombles' Great Uncle, Stoichkov set the 1994 tournament alight as he led his country to an incredible fourth place finish. Never far from controversy, he was banned for six months while at Barcelona for charging at a referee. The fans loved him all the more for it.

10. Ronaldo (1994, 1998, 2002 - 12 goals)
He might look as if he's borrowed Eddie Murphy's 'fat suit', but when he's on his game, Ronaldo is arguably the finest striker on the planet. On course to break Gerd Muller's tournament record of 14 goals, Ronaldo hammered eight in 2002 alone, which went some way to redeeming his ridiculous haircut.

Courtesy : BBC

Last edited by Miraz; May 30, 2006 at 12:20 PM..

Old May 30, 2006, 12:18 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

I can't add the picture of every player because of limit of 4 images per post
Old May 30, 2006, 05:39 PM
Cricket Legend

havent seen pele, only from highlights of old games.
saw maradona, very talented, but not that good as a striker.
from that list, i will go with ronaldo. very fast, powerful shots, only thing missing is probably headers. but from what i have seen, i think he is the best.
Old May 31, 2006, 03:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Pele, hands down. Playing in the WC finals (58), at the age of 17, against the host country, and the crowd is cheering his name??? That means the crowd is cheering against their home team!!! The dazzling skill, ball control, speed, headwork has mesmorized the crowd like the magicians do to his audience. Never ever that will happen again.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Do you mean to say scorer of wonderful goals, or just frequent scorer?

I think Pele as a striker has the highest valued scores ( the ones that were really important, I think all 12 of his goals were important ), Maradona scored much less ( he is not a striker still he scored ) but he did score some gem of goals, and ronaldo is the worst, he scored half of his goal from offside, two of it were own goal ( he was behind the defender and never touched the ball ) one or two of it were rebound goal ( waiting in front of the goalkeeper to drop the ball ) the rest were genuinely striker goals, but one of his goal can compared to that of Pele, against Turkey in the opening match of Brazil of 2002 World Cup, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo's goals were the real reason Brazil got hold of the 2002 World Cup, in 1998 there was no Ronaldinho (also no Romario ) so no World Cup.
Old June 1, 2006, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

I think we have missed some other names like Romario, who earned the "Golden Boot" Prize in 1994. He scored the 900th "Oficial Goal" at the age of 38.
Old June 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Offcourse it's the Black Diamond Pele.

Old June 1, 2006, 05:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

For me, its definately a toss up between Pele and Maradona but due to Maradona's 'Hand of God' antics, I'll go for Pele
Old June 1, 2006, 08:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Miraj Bhai,
why follow BBC lead. You missed the greatest goal scorer of world cup ever Just Fontain. With Remond Copa he formed the deadliest duo in World cup ever.in 1958 they together scored 15 goals, 13 of which is scored by fontain. Romario- Bebeto may be the only duo come closer to compare with them in world cup football history.
Old June 2, 2006, 08:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Miraj Bhai,
why follow BBC lead. You missed the greatest goal scorer of world cup ever Just Fontain. With Remond Copa he formed the deadliest duo in World cup ever.in 1958 they together scored 15 goals, 13 of which is scored by fontain. Romario- Bebeto may be the only duo come closer to compare with them in world cup football history.
u r ryt!!!..
Old June 3, 2006, 03:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Here is the profile of the top ten world cup goal scoer. Let's see whom do you think is the best among the lot.

1. Eusebio (1966 - 9 Goals)
Known as "The Black Pearl" or "The Black Panther", Eusebio scored nine goals in the 1966 World Cup for Portugal, earning him the Golden Boot. England was so taken with the striker, a waxwork model was commissioned for Madame Tussaud's immediately after the tournament.

2. Pele (1958, 1962, 1966, 1970 - 12 goals)
He punched the schoolfriend who gave him his nickname, but Edson Arantes do Nascimento doesn't quite have the same ring to it. What more can you say about the world's most famous footballer - four World Cups, three triumphs for Brazil, 12 goals. Genius.

3. Mario Kempes (1974, 1978, 1982 - 6 goals)
He looked like Brian May, but "El Matador" did not need to stand on top of Buckingham Palace with a guitar to get noticed. Kempes bagged six goals in the 1978 event, including two in the final against Holland to help Argentina lift the World Cup on home soil.

4. Gerd Muller (1970, 1974 - 14 goals)
It seems most World Cup strikers worth their salt need a nickname and 'Der Bomber' was no different. Best known for scoring the winner in the 1974 World Cup final, Muller made his name four years earlier, plundering 10 goals for West Germany in Mexico.

5.Paolo Rossi (1978, 1982 - 9 goals)
If Rossi's story was a movie script it would have been rejected for being too sensational. Italian striker banned for match-fixing, allowed to play in '82 World Cup after suspension relaxed, scores six goals after scratchy start and gets Golden Boot as Italy win World Cup. See, utter tosh.

6. Gary Lineker (1986, 1990 - 10 goals)
In most school playgrounds Gary Lineker would have been known as a "goal-hanger", as well as the kid who stole your crisps. The Everton striker grabbed the Golden Boot in 1986 with six goals, including a memorable hat-trick against Poland, and added another four as England reached the semi-finals in 1990.

7. Diego Maradona (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994 - 8 goals)
Not the most prolific striker on the list, but arguably the most talented. Vilified for his 'Hand of God' goal against England in '86, he scored a corker in the same game. Later turned into Mr Blobby but played in a recent pro-celeb match and celebrated a penalty against Jamie Theakston as if he'd won another World Cup.

8. Jurgen Klinsmann (1990, 1994, 1998 - 11 goals)
The VW Beetle enthusiast was perhaps known more for diving than driving, receiving a barrage of abuse at the 1994 competition for failing to stay on his feet. Aside from his theatrics, Klinsmann was a lethal finisher, helping Germany to glory in 1990.

9. Hristo Stoichkov (1994, 1998 - 6 goals)
Bulgaria's greatest export since the Wombles' Great Uncle, Stoichkov set the 1994 tournament alight as he led his country to an incredible fourth place finish. Never far from controversy, he was banned for six months while at Barcelona for charging at a referee. The fans loved him all the more for it.

10. Ronaldo (1994, 1998, 2002 - 12 goals)
He might look as if he's borrowed Eddie Murphy's 'fat suit', but when he's on his game, Ronaldo is arguably the finest striker on the planet. On course to break Gerd Muller's tournament record of 14 goals, Ronaldo hammered eight in 2002 alone, which went some way to redeeming his ridiculous haircut.

Courtesy : BBC

U EDIOT U LEFT JUST FONTANE....
HE SCORED 13 GOALS IN ONE WC
Old June 3, 2006, 05:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Mac
U EDIOT U LEFT JUST FONTANE....
HE SCORED 13 GOALS IN ONE WC
Daddy_Mac, language please!!!

You seems to be educated as you are posting in English. Try to use your education before making any post and any comment about another person.
Old June 3, 2006, 12:06 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

It has to be Pele of course, even though I never liked Argentina Maradona was a great player too.
Old June 7, 2006, 10:56 AM
Test Cricketer

i think its harry kewel...he is the best player for australia
Old June 27, 2006, 01:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Just Fontaine, in 1958 scored 13 goals in 6 WC games. 2+ for each game played. Noone ever can match or break it. Its like Bradman's 99.94 average.

Now ronaldo can claim he is the highest world cup scorer ever. 15 of them in total. In japan's game could have scored 5.
Old June 27, 2006, 01:47 PM
Cricket Guru

I wish i can see all these goals is it possible for someone to mention a link of these greatest goals please
Old June 27, 2006, 02:02 PM
Test Cricketer

I am bit confused with the question. Did u mean, the best ever strikers in terms of number of goals scored?. .or Best goal scored by any individual or in overall, the most fearsome striker who had mesmerised the ability to score goals and help the team to win the world cup. For first one, it had be Ronaldo, 2nd one, defnitely Maradonna and 3rd one, no doubt, Pele. But, its also not fair to compare players from differnt generation. Pele played game when teams were not so great defensively and marking were so much like today. Pele could move much more freely as compared to any strikers today. Maradonna, no words left for me. God created only one Maradonna. Even though his off field image isnt a respectable one, but, on the field, he was the best ever player in his generation. As far from only being a true goal scorer, i would probably rate Ronaldo higher than anyone else. Just see, he is still scoring even though his totally unfit, heavy and hardly moves. He is still scoring when he is just 25% of real Ronaldo. Ppl who havent see young 19 years old ronaldo before, should search for the videos. he was just wonderful when he was playing for Barcelona or that dutch club (sorry dont rem the name). U can find his videos on http://r9ronaldo.ru U will surely be amazed at his power to score goals.

Those who are talking abt Brazil's win in 2002 world was due to Rivaldo, I am just surprised. Ronaldo scored when it matterd most, in the final. He is the striker , not the midfielder. He job is to score when he gets into the D box. Game of Rivaldo ro Ronaldinho are completely different than Ronaldo. So, can hardly be compared. As far as my views, Ronaldo did more than enough in 2002 world cup.
In 98, brazil didnt loose because, there were no Ronaldinho, Brazil lost because of two reasons.... They had a very poor defence specially Junior Biano and secondly, becoz of the coach Jagalo. His tactics of " attack is the best defence" ruined brazil. I was very nervy from the very beginning of the world cup in 98 about such poor tactic, some how brazil did overcome all to come to final. And. unfortunatly, it had to happen in Final, when this stupid tactic of Jagalo failed. Techincally, 98 team was much better than 2002. They just failed because of a very fragile central defence system. They didnt have any midfielder like Mazinho to hold the defence from the center. I wish Jagalo could never become the coach of brazil. he is just too outdated with technic that can win worldcup. I really hope . He remains the asst coach with Parreira this time and never becomes the full one.

Old June 27, 2006, 05:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

If ronaldo was fit his score could have been atleast 18 in total. but he is the highest scorer now
Old June 29, 2006, 06:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Oops! Too late. I could have improved poll number for Diego "The Best" Maradona:-)