facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 15, 2007, 09:03 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sami, Afridi, Asif, Shoby
Thumbs up Pakistan got a Captain

LAHORE - The Pakistan Cricket Board has decided to hand over the captaincy of the national team to all-rounder Shoaib Malik, The Nation learnt on Saturday.
All eyes were on Younis as next skipper after Inzamam-ul-Haq resigned. However, Younis Khan refused to take up the captaincy.
However, sources inside the PCB disclosed that the PCB chairman, all of its directors and chief operating officers came round to agreeing on Shoaib Malik as the captain of the team.
Although the decision has been made but its formal announcement would come in a couple of days. The PCB is likely to name his captain on long term basis instead of series to series basis.
It seems for the moment that the PCB has sorted out the captaincy problem but it has yet to address the grouping problem in the wake of a number of aspirants and their supporters in the playing eleven.
Some of the seniors that include Muhammad Yousuf, Abdul Razzak, Shoaib Akhtar have also shown their desire to lead the team while Salman Butt was also one of the players taken as one of the candidate for the job.
Yousuf was reported by a newswire agency as saying that if he was offered, he was ready to take the captaincy.
"I do not feel any pressure and I feel eligible more than anybody after my recent performance," said he.
"In this crisis situation I think I would be the right choice to lead the team," he added.
Similar views were expressed by all-rounder Abdul Razzak. "I and ready to take the captaincy and would prove to be one of the best," said he.
Shoaib Akhtar was on a number of occasion seen challenging the captaincy of Inzamam-ul-Haq.
PCB chairman said that various names were considered. The chairman also had meetings with Mohammad Asif, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Malik and others.
But he recently said that the new captain would be a senior player and on that count Salman was to miss out. Besides, he was out of the team and had yet to confirm his place as a solid opener. And in seniority Yousuf was the top most but his excessive inclination towards religion and questions over his fitness made the PCB look for other options. In Shoaib Akhtar and Shahid Afridi's case, the fitness of the former and the slogging style of the latter stammered their chances, leaving Malik alone in the race for captaincy.
The PCB chairman said that the PCB's first priority was the appointment of captain on long-term basis followed by the announcement of the 30 probable players and the selection committee.
Ashraf said that series against Sri Lanka to be played in Duabi in May would not be ruled out whereas Pakistan team will tour England in July to play two One-day Internationals.
An official of the board said that Malik fulfils the criterion set for the captain. But in the recent years Malik has been nursing his elbow injury and has also been among the suspect bowler. "He is fit, plays for the team and has with his form ensured place in the team," said an official of the board.
http://www.nation.com.pk/daily/apr-2007/15/sports1.php

Old April 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Good decision.

Perfect choice. Good luck to him and Pakistan.
Old April 15, 2007, 09:42 AM
Club Cricketer

well i guess you are right. but somehow i've got the feeling shoby is still young for this job & at the moment when pakistan is in serious crisis. a mature & senior captain like yusuf or evan afridi cud b good.
Old April 15, 2007, 09:44 AM
Club Cricketer

but i think its still good good luck shoby
Old April 22, 2007, 05:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he is very young and has a great future ahead of him. hope he will get all the supports from his fellow team members and the board.

Good Luck Shoaib, good luck pakistan
Old April 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Good choice, he's a good player with a cool head on his shoulders. Good luck Shoaib.
Old April 22, 2007, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree with this. Its rebuilding time for them and this is a good first start.
Old April 22, 2007, 08:47 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

It's a good choice by PCB- Shoaib Malik. Good Luck.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

What do you think the next step should be? I would say, invite BD for a 5 ODI and 3 Test tour
Or, ask BCB if they are ready to host Pakistan for the same number of ODIs and Tests. How about that for the 2nd step!
Old April 22, 2007, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

pasher barir chelerao ekta captain banay fello, akhon to amader taratari kichu ekta korte hoy. oi dhor junaid siddique re captain banay de!
Old April 23, 2007, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
What do you think the next step should be? I would say, invite BD for a 5 ODI and 3 Test tour
Or, ask BCB if they are ready to host Pakistan for the same number of ODIs and Tests. How about that for the 2nd step!
From the Pakistan (and Bangladesh) point of view this is very good suggestion.
Old April 23, 2007, 01:08 AM
BC Editorial Team

If he gets support from the seniors (MoYo & YoKh), Akhtar stays out and Afridi is kept in check, he can still do a good job.
Old April 23, 2007, 02:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
If he gets support from the seniors (MoYo & YoKh), Akhtar stays out and Afridi is kept in check, he can still do a good job.
Exactly, actually I don't think Pak team in the WC was that bad. Certainly not bad enough to bow out like that. Who knows what went on, what with Woolmer's death and all.
Old April 23, 2007, 07:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
the second step is a good coach & ill prefer a local coach , someone like aqib javed wid a batsman like zaheer abbas or mudassir nazar
& then touring bangladesh hmmm i dont think a great idea coz they need to giv the confidence back to shoby n co. n i dont think there will b many changes may b 2 or 3. a new batsman for inzy( fawad ) n one for YK ( may b bazid khan , asim kamal , faisal iqbal, or hasan raza) n yeah new openers salman butt n yasir hameed .
Old May 4, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Touring BD will not be a good idea..rather tour India after they finish here.
Future is bright and spotless