facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default On what basis is Mushfiq captain?

This guy's wicket keeping is average at best (being generous) and so is his captaincy.
His batting record is poor specially in limited overs (t20 and odi) with a pathetic strike rate of 66 in odi's ( 25 avg) and 102 in t20's (14 avg) with very poor average. You dont need your absolute best player as captain, but atleast he has to be among the very best performers. Look at all other teams, India (Dhoni, one of the best batsman). Australia (Clarke, best batsman) South africa (de villiers, best batsman in limited overs). So, on what basis is he the captain?

Old September 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, De Villiers.

Let me enlighten you. Apart from Mushy I dont see anyone to be given the captaincy. Mash had his, Shak had his turn too. And your talking about Mushy's average? Yeah we all agree that it's really terrible. But here's one for a fact. Despite his poor average or SR in T20 or ODI. He is the 3rd most technically perfect batsman in our team after Shakib & Tamim. Don't believe me? Ask the experts. Last year, I remember during the Test series against Windies. Ian Bishop also praised Mushy's batting & his shots highly.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cricket Guru

He may be technically sound, but he doesn't have the brains for this game but can't blame him since every other player in the team, bar a few, suffers from that problem. Making Shakib the captain won't do squat, he's a smart captain but if the rest of the team doesn't perform there will be threads calling for his removal once again.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Administrator

The real question is - if not Mushy then who?
Old September 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Well if we have to choose captains based on this then that's one sorry situation..
Old September 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD128
Let me enlighten you. Apart from Mushy I dont see anyone to be given the captaincy. Mash had his, Shak had his turn too. And your talking about Mushy's average? Yeah we all agree that it's really terrible. But here's one for a fact. Despite his poor average or SR in T20 or ODI. He is the 3rd most technically perfect batsman in our team after Shakib & Tamim. Don't believe me? Ask the experts. Last year, I remember during the Test series against Windies. Ian Bishop also praised Mushy's batting & his shots highly.
according to some ashraful is the most talented and technically sound BD batsmen.. this doesnt mean jack. All that matters is performance.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Its time for Shafiul Islam
Old September 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Well if we have to choose captains based on this then that's one sorry situation..
How else will you chose a captain?

There are basically only three criteria:

1. The person must make it into the team on his own merit on a regular basis.
2. The person must have the respect of his team mates
3. The person must have a sound cricketing sense and be able to think on his feet.

Who?

Last edited by Zunaid; September 26, 2012 at 08:39 PM..
Old September 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Mohammad Ashraful.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:

There are basically only three criterion:

3. The person must have a sound cricketing sense and be able to think on his feet.

Who?
Nasir Hossain, but to make him a captain within one year of his debut to me makes little sense since experience plays a big role in captaincy and decision making in cricket.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

Who?
I am saying if we got no one better than Mushfiq to be our captain then we got no hope. Maybe we should take a gamble like SA (smith) and give a promising youngster (Nasir maybe) the captaincy who isnt yet totally fitted in this loser mentality and hope for the best. Dont see anything getting worse than it already is with Mushfiq. There is no question that nasir has already in his short career been a better performer than mushfiq
Old September 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Cricket Sage

to be fair to Mushfiq, we have only be playing T20s since the Asia cup and he did reasonably in Asia cup with the bat and captaincy. I would give him two more series(ODI/Tests) and if he doesn't deliver then we can move onto someone like Nasir Hossain...
Old September 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Nasir Hossain, but to make him a captain within one year of his debut to me makes little sense since experience plays a big role in captaincy and decision making in cricket.
Does he meet 1, 2 and 3?

Given the ageist class system in Bangladesh, 2 would be difficult. And there is no evidence for 3. He is barely 21. The Taibu's and Pataudi's are more an exception than not.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Are we seriously not considering MoAsh? 2nd time is the charm.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru

I'd pick Ash just to see his post-match conferences.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Does he meet 1, 2 and 3?

Given the ageist class system in Bangladesh, 2 would be difficult. And there is no evidence for 3. He is barely 21. The Taibu's and Pataudi's are more an exception than not.
He did perform before coming to national team in many instances in domestic leagues and away tours where selectors took notice of his talents, his current team mates definitely respect him(I don't recall an incident where he got into a fight/argument with anyone, even based on newspaper photos and press releases he gets along quite fine with others in the team). I am pretty sure you can agree that based on his media statements, he sounds the most mature of the lot. He is not happy with his performance even if he scores a triple century until the team is declared victorious, I mean how many in our team apart from Nasir share this sentiment? He seems very mature(Based on how he plays the game according to match situations and media statements). the only issue is that remains unproven is that is he a good fit for management role(like being responsible over his teammates)?

Otherwise, even if you disagree with my assessment of fulfilling 1,2, and 3 there is absolutely no one on the team who even can be considered for 1,2 and 3 except Shakib, Nasir and to a lesser extent Rahim.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Mushy hasn't done too bad to warrant his captaincy change. We all know his has taken some wrong decisions and this is part of his learning experience. Lets bear with him for another 1/2 season. Instead of chopping and replacing one after another, why not we correct his wrong decisions and guide him properly.

Even every corporate mid/top level managers go through training program like 'Managerial Decision Making', 'Leadership Program' etc. BCB can invite ex-captains from different countries to have a short training program where they will share their experiences regarding decision making, team bonding, team moral etc with our players. This may help Mushy and other players to gain knowledge that they may not have gathered even after playing hundred matches.

Matha betha holey...matha ketey felar cheye medicine neya bhalo !
Old September 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Rifat - just because he is liked by all does not mean all would like to be led by him. Put yourself in the cultural context of Bangladesh. Remember why Basher was in the team for so long, way after his past due date? That's because they (selectors) could not think of anyone else to be captain because the candidates would be younger than most of the team and imagine a chhoto bhai ordering a bhaiya in Bangladesh. Meritrocacy flies out the window in Bangladesh's context. Granted - things are changing a bit but the under the breath whispering will drown all. And until #3 is proven, he should not even be a candidate.

First question: If you want a change, why not ShakFu?

Second question: do we really need a change?
Old September 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
Cricket Sage

I personally think that Rahim should be given two more series for further evaluation... another point to note that Alhamdulillah, Rahim has had more than his fair share of experience playing international cricket all over the world in pretty much all conditions. He is pretty much out of excuse if he doesn't score at least three fifty plus innings in his next 5 innings or so, particularly when we take into consideration games at home. We lose matches, and when we do you can definitely cite his ineffectiveness with the bat as a valid reason. His batting is pretty much half of his captaincy.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:

Who?
Dammit Shafiul doesnt fit the void
Old September 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Dammit Shafiul doesnt fit the void
Hahaha. He is bigger problems. The void between his ears. Just like Ash.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

If Mash was fit and ready, I'd have gone with him. But he is still in a process of returning. Also, he won't be available for all 3 format. We aren't a team that can cope with multi captains.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Hmm, talking about multi-captains. Is that a rule that we MUST select one captain? What if we did it like football?
Old September 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I've backed Mushy as I back all our players. That being said, I believe the most important aspect in being captain is to have good performance. It's a simple concept really, if you're not performing well than how do we expect the others to follow as the leader of the team? The fact is Mushy's performance has just not been good enough as captain. Just look at the last match for example. While Shakib was on fire, Mushy ended up getting bogged down and then ended up throwing his wicket away without doing much. His 26 ball 25 consisted of 14 dot balls. Thats a dot ball percentage of 54%. I know he was trying to support Shakib but at the very least rotate the strike more.

Also lets see his performance since he's been captain. In T20s, his avg been only a 20 and his avg in ODIs is only a 21. In tests his avg is very good with an avg of 40 but don't forget we've played very few Test matches and his wicket keeping in the match against the WI costed us and made crucial mistakes in the Pakistan match as well.

At the end of the day, I feel it's best for Mushy to give up captaincy and prove himself as a player. I didnt think much of it before but he came in around the same time as Tamim and Shakib and now look at those 2 compared to him. Both Shakib and Tamim have now risen to a world class level where Mushy hasn't gone near that level. I thought he was becoming more consistent but it seems he hasn't. You see that he performs in one match but then fails for a string of matches. For a guy that has so much experience at the international level, he needs to do a lot better. I don't him want him off the team because he's the best overall wicketkeeper batsman in the country, but take his captaincy title off I say.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah ,sakib tamim

i dont know how he said in the media bangladesh has nothing to lose before the pakistan game , this is just total pathetic statement by musfiqur as a growing cricket nation , we got kicked out at 1st round and still musfiq saying bd did better in t20 world cup like seriously ? and since we dont have any other better options for captain i guess bcb definitely give chance to mahmuduallh for once i am sure he will definitely do better than musfiq