facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 18, 2008, 09:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Caution on BD Strategy

I fully support the defensive strategy that BD team management came up with and implementing in the on going series. (Block, block and block and make opponents tired, may be they will not concentrate while batting)

NZ:
1) Unproven batting lineup.
2) Not fimiliar with sub-continent conditions (hot and humid).
3) Jury is still out on able to play the spin.

Knowing this, I think this the defensive strategy worked perfectly.

+++

However, in the near two future series the strategy may not work at all.

In unfavorable condition like SA, this defensive strategy will fail. The pitches will certainly be different, and local bowlers will eat the team alive if this defensive strategy is continued there.

+++

At home against SL:
Mendis and Murali will be licking their chops!! SL batting line up are not NZ batting line up. They are truly master of spins. India's Kumble and Harbi found out the hard way.

+++

I cheer the team and hopefully they will create history!!
Old October 18, 2008, 09:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Against SA we have to be positive on batting. Should look for changing strikes and put the bad deliveries to the fence. We need batsmen with proper solid techniques. Batsman like Razin has no future there.

Against SL it would be the toughest series for us. If we go for a placid pitch they will hammer us and if we go for a turning track they will spell bound us. Even SL pacers can extract good amount of bounce if the pitch suits with the quicker.
Old October 19, 2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid
Default Absolutely Right -Spot On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I fully support the defensive strategy that BD team management came up with and implementing in the on going series. (Block, block and block and make opponents tired, may be they will not concentrate while batting)

NZ:

+++

In unfavorable condition like SA, this defensive strategy will fail. The pitches will certainly be different, and local bowlers will eat the team alive if this defensive strategy is continued there.

+++

At home against SL:
Mendis and Murali will be licking their chops!! SL batting line up are not NZ batting line up. They are truly master of spins. India's Kumble and Harbi found out the hard way.

+++

Mizan Bhaiyya. You are spot on . Agree 100%
Old October 19, 2008, 09:39 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:

NZ:

+++

+++

At home against SL:

+++

I agree with u on when it comes to the srilanka case. Being defensive may see us being bowled out for literally nothing. Specailly with Mendis. it already makes me have goosebumps.

But as far as BD's overall strategy is concerned the one thing that has come out of this test match is the importance of having a long first innings. If 100-120 overs is the bencemark for it then let that be the aim whether it be achieved though pure defense or a mixture of caution and aggression.

I support the 8 batsman formula for BD (if it includes both Shakib and Naeem) simply because it adds crucial depth to the line up whose top order is vulnerable to say the least. In SA I would have a similar strategy to that of what they applied against newzealand. The top three would have to see the first session and a major portion of the second out. After that against the old ball on wickets that dont assist reverse swing and more importantly SA lacking a genuine wicket-taking spinner (P.Harris is only effective if some body is looking to attack hime) it would be time for Ash, R.Hassan (hope he gets fit), Mehrab, Mushfiq, S.Hasan can cash in on. Batting properly (which is a tough ask) will easiliy see us posting scores greater than 250 and who knows even more then that on a good day (personally i feel with our current line up Roqib included we could easily post totals close to 350-400 consistently if they bat to their full potential.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Mijan bhai, I think we have to wait till the current series ends up. Once this series is finished , we can start thinking about the next ones.
Old October 19, 2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I see this as a good start. They may be taking 50 overs to reach 50 now, but do keep in mind that these are guys who used to struggle to bat out more than 30 balls even the other day. They may not be scoring and holding on to their wickets simultaneously, but I believe that will come with time. After all, our guys are pretty crappy learners and the learning curve will expectedly be pretty steep.

One step at a time.
Old October 20, 2008, 07:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I see this as a good start. They may be taking 50 overs to reach 50 now, but do keep in mind that these are guys who used to struggle to bat out more than 30 balls even the other day. They may not be scoring and holding on to their wickets simultaneously, but I believe that will come with time. After all, our guys are pretty crappy learners and the learning curve will expectedly be pretty steep.

One step at a time.
Maybe so, but you have to at least look to score. We have seen through mash and razzak, how to bat on this pitch. For the long term, we need to get much better at rotating the strike and picking up ones and twos. there are only a handful of players from bd who know how to do this and they are tamim, ash and rakibul. the rest have only two modes: slog or defend
Old October 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoilaheez
For the long term, we need to get much better at rotating the strike and picking up ones and twos.
Did I not say that?
Old October 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

NZ:

Absolutely right in spotting the strategy.
We have seen the team trying to do it before, but they couldn't do it. Most of their fate was like Rajin. Block, Block, Block and when you are set & expected to push the RR, you get out. So a bit of ability has also be added to the stratey.

Quote:

The ability to defend is one of the key in test cricket in any kind of surface. Even if you can win many in this approach but you can deny victory. I think, if they can keep the strategy alive even in SA they can do much better than before.

To have victory, they will need to add some agression with the defensive strategy. I'm sure they have enough aggressive attitude to unleash if needed in match situation. But I kind of like this defensive attitude that they have shown with some consistency now. I'm happy that they didn't get impatient too quick.

Old October 20, 2008, 05:54 PM
Cricket Sage

... so what they should do before going to the field? Wet their pants?
Old October 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I need a favor. Please answer Fazal. Cause I have lost my words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
... so what they should do before going to the field? Wet their pants?
Old October 24, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers_eye
thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I need a favor. Please answer fazal. Cause i have lost my words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazal
... So what they should do before going to the field? Wet their pants?
ফজল মামুকে কোচ নিয়োগ করা হোক...
( প্যান্ট ভেজানো...!?!!)
Old October 29, 2008, 04:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Runs will be more Important than Staying in the Wicket, I feel we have a Tri of Pacers who can do pretty good in SA if we can just put up a Total, Block Block Block will only Lead to either Steyn knocking your head off or Your Off Stump Off.

I Stongly Advise The Batsmen to Play With a Postive Attitude in the Tests, Mashrafe isn't gonna Save our Hides on these Pitches Just Go Out and Play Positive Like Bashar and Aftab Did in the 2nd Innings of the Riverside Test.

Tamim and Z might should do better on these Pitches, No different than playing in NZ except for that Demi-God Pacer of theres. Ash is the only one whose Played a Test in Zimbabwe bat they way you Did for your 98 vs Streak and Co.

Rajin and Mushifiq Play Agressive the runs will Come
Old October 29, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks Cricman for bumping the thread. Timing is perfect!!

Yes, and where is that marble slab that Siddons used before we went to NZ? Bring it out one more time. That is the bounce our boys will face there. We have to replicate those effects here first in the practice field.

Finally, since the selectors are not going to drop Ashraful might as well make a strategy for him to get the best out of him (prayers). Absolute no net practice for Ashraful. Make him bat in the crease with fielders well placed. He may realize the balls are OUT BALLS not 4 or 6 balls. I see no other way to make him understand the reality. If he still doesn't then .... please part ways.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:00 PM
Test Cricketer

SA tour will be very interesting.. I think its time SA will knock out Aus one more time from the 1st rank..