facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old May 29, 2006, 07:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara
Default Bangladesh students say no to exams during World Cup

DHAKA, (AFP) - More than three hundred students at a Bangladeshi engineering university besieged the office of their vice-chancellor Sunday demanding exams be postponed during the World Cup, police said. The students beseiged the vice-chancellor's office at the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology to demand that their final exams be put back till after the World Cup, local police chief Mahbubur Rahman said.
The university, the country's most prestigious academic institution, had earlier announced that finals would be held from June 3 to 29.
Chanting slogans in favour of the World Cup, the students said they would not break the siege unless the authorities defer the exams by more than a month.
"The World Cup is a big festival and it comes every four years. All the students at the university dormitories will wake up in the night to watch the matches," said student Tariq Ahsan.
"That's why we have asked the authorities to defer the World Cup so that students can prepare adequately for the final exams," he added.
Police said the students did not end the siege till Sunday evening. "The teachers were holding an emergency meeting to discuss the students' demand," Rahman said.
The month-long event beginning June 9 is expected to draw record television audiences in the sport-obsessed nation.

Source>>

Old May 29, 2006, 08:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Looks like their wishes came true...

Bangladesh university suspends exams for World Cup
DHAKA, May 29 (Reuters) - A Bangladesh university has postponed exams until after the World Cup finals after hundreds of students lay siege to the vice-chancellor's office.
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology had earlier rejected students' calls to postpone exams scheduled for June 3-29.
"The classes will remain suspended until July 14," an official at the university in the capital said on Monday.
Bangladesh failed to qualify for the World Cup finals, which will be hosted by Germany from June 9 to July 9.

Source: http://football.guardian.co.uk/break...852512,00.html
Old May 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

thank god my first year AS exams finish on the day the world cup starts!
Old May 29, 2006, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend

thats the way to do it in bd.....haha
________
HONDA CRF230

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM..
Old May 29, 2006, 08:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

way to go... student power rulez in bd... ha ha
after all, world cup bole kotha....
u can give exam anytime u want..but wc comes only once in 4 yrs...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 30, 2006, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

A Great way to become famous

The news is all over the world on news

Try this

However,for this,Students are going to lose one term,Probably the new term will start once the New batch enrolls in,in December/January.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
way to go... student power rulez in bd... ha ha
after all, world cup bole kotha....
u can give exam anytime u want..but wc comes only once in 4 yrs...
Actually in BUET, teachers' power rulez! It may sound a bit strange to many of the people, who did not directly face it; but it's the teachers who create these types of issues. During their initial planning of the semesters, they were very much aware of when the World cup will held and I suspect they scheduled the exams intentionally. Because of postponing all the exams (and no lectures at the semester end), only the teachers are gaining some time to earn money, by consulting with farms and teching part-time in the private unis. If regular lectures were scheduled during the world cup, they would have certainly missed this chance.

The students are to blame for their stupidities; but the teachers are to blame for their cunningness of using the students' motives to get their own benefits.
Old May 30, 2006, 10:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Well the students are getting more demanding...

Bangladesh students on rampage for World Cup TV sets

DHAKA (Reuters) - Students at a Bangladesh university ransacked their dormitory and burnt furniture to pressure officials to buy two new televisions in time for the World Cup.

Two broken television sets were dragged out and burnt on Monday night, said an official of the dormitory for 2,500 students.

"It's an outburst as the authorities did not comply with our demand to sanction new television sets," a student of the dormitory told Reuters.

Each of the other 15 dormitories at Dhaka University, the country's biggest, has two television sets for the students.

The World Cup in Germany begins on June 9.

Source: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...H-VIOLENCE.XML
Old May 30, 2006, 10:15 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It's a shame!! Bangladesh is getting its name on world media for wrong reasons.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

When would this destructive politics end? May Allah make us the best among the constructive nations.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

haha my cousin was telling me their tests are cancelled for wc and they got the news from espn website ..

only in Bangladesh..I guess both parties are happy
Old May 30, 2006, 10:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Only in Bangladesh...

Buet is trying to keep up its proud tradition.
Old June 2, 2006, 08:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

haahhahahhahahaaaaa... hehehhheheeeeeee....
cholo BUET cholo.. tomrai parba.. kisu koira dekhaite..... yr ryt in ur dreams!... sigh!.. hayre BUET!!!
Old June 2, 2006, 09:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

why do they care so much...bangladesh is not in the FWC...looks like soccer is more popular than cricket in bangladesh

#OneTeam1Dream
Old June 2, 2006, 10:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Soccer is more popular than Cricket. Just not our league. Would any Bangladeshi living in bangladesh suicide for any other cricketing team losing in a match in a world cup? It happened for Brazil's loss. Bd people are cricket crazy but they are Football fanatics.
Old June 2, 2006, 11:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
why do they care so much...bangladesh is not in the FWC...looks like soccer is more popular than cricket in bangladesh
Bangladeshi people are really very much sports conscious than most of the western people. Here people do love one or two game but back in Bangladesh, young people knows almost everything about every game.

Cricket is the most popular one to young people but as a whole Football still holds the number one spot.
Old June 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

HALA! PORA NA, LEKHA NA, SHUDHU WAAARLD CAAP! TOR WAAAARLD CAAP SUTAMU! - my mother, 4yrs ago.

anyway, in uk, students r doin gcse (eng equiv. of ssc) which in my opinion is far more important than any exam- it outlines ur life, during WC.

so i don't c y ppls r so lazy in BD. and yeah, we dont have 2 wake up in night 2 c and all that-

but in uk, b4 the gcse exams, we get 1-2mths study leave, and we may be tempted to watch then....
Old June 2, 2006, 01:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayed
but in uk, b4 the gcse exams, we get 1-2mths study leave, and we may be tempted to watch then....
I'm on study leave right now and the World Cup starts right in the middle of my exams. I find it hard to revise on a normal day but to think what will happen when the World Cup starts...It's unlucky that my final year is on the same year as the World Cup but thats life I suppose.
Old June 2, 2006, 09:00 PM
Cricket Legend

The way cricket is progressing after 10 years cricket will be the the most popular game in our country. People will be as fanatic as they are now about football. If people get something to dream then they will take it as cricket is giving them this chance and will give them in future.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old June 3, 2006, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
HALA! PORA NA, LEKHA NA, SHUDHU WAAARLD CAAP! TOR WAAAARLD CAAP SUTAMU! - my mother, 4yrs ago.
ur mom used to call u HALA? wow! my mom used to slap me everytime I utter something like that. Ekhon boro hoya gechi, ekhon ulta ami jhaari dei
Old June 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Bd people are cricket crazy but they are Football fanatics.
True, but only for a few weeks in every four years.

Nobody talked about football since WC2002 till last month. After 2-3 months, everybody will forget that they cared about a game more than cricket only few days ago.
Old June 11, 2006, 12:44 AM
Test Cricketer

jokes aside, IMO this just shows the horrible nature of unruly students in BD..started in dhaka university nd now in BUET....

i feel sorry for those keen hardworking students who efforts towards the exam was derailed by a majority of so-called "engineering students", whose WC priorities are affecting their future....no wonder this country cant provide top quality engineers, as opposed to other countries...

i too have my finals on 16, 20, 22, 23 rite in the middle of the WC...but i dont complain...i just gotta balance it out...i watch soccer, work part time nd study aswell...all 3 works out fine...

this sort of actions, once going unchecked, starts a trend....soon other institutions follow the same footsteps... .
BD governement shud do sth about this student political crap....if needed get RAB to control them....
Old June 14, 2006, 04:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
HALA or POLA? i bet it was a typo.
Old June 14, 2006, 10:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutul
HALA or POLA? i bet it was a typo.
HALA is alrite...its the slang for SHALA which itself is a slang.....no typo there...

nd PORA is studies...which is not POLA (son)