facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 11, 2007, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Miscellaneous Bangladesh News

Emergency declared in BD

Curfew imposed from 11 pm to 6 am

President Iajuddin Ahmed Thursday signed an order declaring state of emergency in Bangladesh, a senior government source told bdnews24.com. State-controlled BTV said Iajuddin declared state of emergency and a curfew has been imposed for Dhaka city from 11pm to 5am every day until a new order is issued.

Source: bdnews24.com

\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life

Old January 11, 2007, 08:39 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

The political bigots has succeeded to cross one more step to destroy country's economy and turnish country's image.

Last edited by Miraz; January 11, 2007 at 09:45 AM..
Old January 11, 2007, 09:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

It's too early to comment. Goodness or badness of the emergency would depend on how the president uses his power. So let's wait and watch.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

The Grand alliance had declared virtually whole of next week as hartal, jeopardizing businesses, and students (specially O/A level candidates). Earlier this week, picketers almost burned a CNG Driver to death for having the gall to drive his CNG. AL's Jalil encouraged policemen to rebel against the govt and compared pro-govt people to Rajakars and Al Badar. In the light of all this, a state of emergency does not seem that surprising.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

I agree, Iazudding used the last resort but it is the politicians (from both camps) who must take the responsibility for such a situation.

State of emergency hardly brings anything good in terms of image of the country.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Can someone enlighten me, please!!

1. US and other institution has declared that without the participation of the major parties the election would not recognized.

2. Awami League, Jatio Patry (Ershad), LDP (part) etc. did not want to participate. Hense the the election would not be complete.

Now why the non participants are trying to block the election which would not be recognized by major institution?

Why are they destroying public and private property? In which logic these action fairs well for the long run for their parties?
Old January 11, 2007, 10:01 AM

Is it means, election is going to take place under this state of emergency? And 4 party coming to power again temporarily?

Or Mr. Iyajuddin is trying to find some face saving way to reschedule election?
Old January 11, 2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

1. US and other institution has declared that without the participation of the major parties the election would not recognized.

2. Awami League, Jatio Patry (Ershad), LDP (part) etc. did not want to participate. Hense the the election would not be complete.

Now why the non participants are trying to block the election which would not be recognized by major institution?

Why are they destroying public and private property? In which logic these action fairs well for the long run for their parties?
May be Because, 4 party may come to power again for a temporary period.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:19 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

From BDNews

Quote:
In a major post-emergency decision, the government has ordered all satellite-based private television channels to stop broadcasting news programmes and bulletins and all current affairs talk shows. Top TV executives told bdnews24.com that the government's principal information officer (PIO) made "the Bangabhaban decision" known to their newsrooms at around 8pm. They said they have already stopped all news programmes.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

Good question. But as anything else in Bangladesh Politics the way these politicians work 2 plus 2 always doesn't make it 4. Its possible that they think they need to show the opponent who is the real boss here? Or its continuation of personal grudge between these two madams?

Why I mentioned about these two parties? Because in the same context the following question can be asked to BNP/Iajuddin also:

Assuming it will be an internationally unrecognized election (as you stated in my understading reading your comment):

then Why are they (BNP/Iajuddin ) wasting public resources try to have a election and driving the nation to clear collision even the interational institution declared it without the participation of the major parties the election would not recognized?

See there are lots of Why questions in both sides, and they are all depended with each other like a chess game. Unless these two major parties sit together and resolve this issue for the sake of the country, there will be lots of why questions un-answered in both sides for the general public.

Last edited by Fazal; January 11, 2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old January 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
In a major post-emergency decision, the government has ordered all satellite-based private television channels to stop broadcasting news programmes and bulletins and all current affairs talk shows. Top TV executives told bdnews24.com that the government's principal information officer (PIO) made "the Bangabhaban decision" known to their newsrooms at around 8pm. They said they have already stopped all news programmes.
মাননীয় শিক্ষক মহোদয়ের গাত্রদাহ??

টিভি নিউজ বন্ধ—দৈনিক পত্রিকা-ই বা আর বাদ থাকবে কেন?
সকল রাজনৈতিক সংবাদ প্রকাশ বন্ধ করে দিলে-ই হয়। আমি দিব্য দৃস্টিতে দেখতে পাচ্ছি প্রথম আলোর প্রথম পাতার হেডিং নিউজঃ
“গভীর রাতে শাবনুর এর বাসায় পরিচালক দেলোয়ার জাহান ঝন্টুঃ চলচ্চিত্র মহলে তুমুল সমালোচনার ঝড়”

Last edited by babubangla; January 11, 2007 at 11:27 AM..
Old January 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

"Business leaders term emergency unfortunate "

this is so funny...didn't FBCCI asked the president to declare state of emergency just last week?
Old January 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

What all these two parties doing is for grabbing power and in doing that they are making chaos which is leaving us hundreds of steps behind the rest of the world.

Hate these types of s**t politicians
Old January 11, 2007, 10:46 AM
Cricket Sage

From dristipat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstipat -Administrator
Update from Farhan (Nazim Farhan Choudhury ) in Dhaka:
Story so far: UN Sec Gen’s representatives announced today that the upcoming election will not be legitimate and withdraw all assistance to the process. Army rank and file, rightly deduced that a illegitimate election = illegitimate government and hence no recognition from UN and hence no peacekeeping duty. That acted as a catalyst to get the supreme leaders do go to Bangabhaban and as the President to call for emergency.

Likely next steps: El Presidente will resign as head of CG and remaining advisers asked to resign. Then the “President” will appoint a new CG head and set of advisers. A reshuffle of the EC is in the cards. Election in 3 to 6 months. I believe Chief want to leave earliest but has got sanction that to ensure that a proper and acceptable election to take place they can take up to 6 months. UN, US, EU will make the requisite mumblings but not impose any sanctions. details
Things ae very uncertain whats going to happen next. There are all sorts of rumors everywhere. Lets see whether he is right in his prediction.

Last edited by Fazal; January 11, 2007 at 10:57 AM..
Old January 11, 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
"Business leaders term emergency unfortunate "

this is so funny...didn't FBCCI asked the president to declare state of emergency just last week?
They said 'failure of political parties resulted state of emergency' which is very unfortunate. They are not denouncing 'state of emergency' I think.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
মাননীয় শিক্ষক মহোদয়ের গাত্রদাহ??
I guess that's the most usual circumstances in any state of emergency due to political turmoil.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
El Presidente will resign as head of CG and remaining advisers asked to resign. Then the “President” will appoint a new CG head and set of advisers. A reshuffle of the EC is in the cards. Election in 3 to 6 months. I believe Chief want to leave earliest but has got sanction that to ensure that a proper and acceptable election to take place they can take up to 6 months. UN, US, EU will make the requisite mumblings but not impose any sanctions. details
This analysis seems pretty realistic as well as hopeful, let see what happen to Mr. loser.

Last edited by PoorFan; January 11, 2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Quote fixed
Old January 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
First Class Cricketer

Rumor has it:

Dr. Yunus, Dr. Akbar Ali Khan, or justice Hamidul Haque are being considered for the position of CACG.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Another rumor going on as mentioned in dristipat is:

Quote:
"I am hearing that there are three names that are being discussed as replacement of Iajuddin. Dr. Yunus, Akbar Ali Khan or Justice Hamidul Huq. Again nothing is confirmed but this is purely what’s out on the rumour mill. "
If that is true, that will be a great news for general public, specially Dr Yunus should be ecceptabe to both parties. For other two. I am not sure how exceptable they are for both parties: i.e. Akbar Ali Khan or Justice Hamidul Huq. But definitely an upgrade than what we have right now.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Rumor has it:

Dr. Yunus, Dr. Akbar Ali Khan, or justice Hamidul Haque are being considered for the position of CACG.
You beat me sensible.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
You beat me sensible.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:16 AM
First Class Cricketer

If Iajuddin remains the president and Akbar Ali Khan becomes the CACG, I suspect there would be personality clash between the two, which may result in a disfunctional govt.

In my opinion, Dr. Yunus is the only one as one of the parties earlier objected against justice Haque.

Question is: will Dr. Y accept the offer? Will all the parties involved accept the offer?
Old January 11, 2007, 11:18 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

It will be a brave decision by Dr. Younus if he accepts the offer (if it is made at all ).

It will have much more international impact than anyone else. it will be difficult for political parties to go against him although you can easily expect the worst from the political parties.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
In my opinion, Dr. Yunus is the only one as one of the parties earlier objected against justice Haque.
?
Do you know which party objected justice Haque? Can you please share with us?

Quote:
Question is: will Dr. Y accept the offer? Will all the parties involved accept the offer?
Will Dr. Y accept the offter? Thats the bigger question. Beacuse for his universal popularity, I think it will be hard to object by either party.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

I think it was BNP who objected.....