facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 9, 2012, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Default Brick Lane to Bangladesh - A 15,000 KM Bike Ride from London's Curry Mile to its origin in Bangladesh.

Brick Lane to Bangladesh

Quote:
We are Luke Barton and Tom Smith and in June 2013 we will embark on a 15,000 km unsupported cycle journey from Brick Lane in London to Bangladesh’s bustling capital; Dhaka. ​

​As the main hub of London's Bangladeshi community, Brick Lane (nicknamed Banglatown) is famed for its many curry restaurants and it is the ideal starting point for the expedition which will take us overland through 20 countries to Bangladesh; the origins of Britain’s favourite dish.​

​​Food is major theme of the trip and it's fair to say we'll be starting and finishing the trip with a curry feast. More than eight out of ten curry restaurants in the UK are owned by Bangladeshis, and this fabulous dish dictates both the start and end destinations. ​

​​Thousands of Bangladeshis immigrated to London’s East End in the 1970’s and they now famously run many of the curry restaurants and other businesses on and around Brick Lane making it the cultural hot spot it is today. By cycling between these two curry capitals we hope to highlight the stark differences between the lifestyles of the two Bangladeshi communities, promote multiculturalism in London and help increase the profile of both Bangladesh and East London as tourist destinations.

​In the process we hope to raise a pile of cash for War Child, a UK charity dedicated to protecting children living in some of the world's most dangerous countries.​

The only time we will leave solid ground is when crossing the English Channel. The rest of the journey will be completed by bike and will take us across Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and finally across India to Bangladesh. During the trip we will be subjected to 50 degree heat in the Karakum Desert where we'll be forced to carry up to 16 litres of water on our bikes, to bitter wind and unforgiving cold on the high plateaus of Central Asia. We must also cross several mountain ranges including The Pamir and The Himalayas, cycling over 5500 metre passes, in order to make it to Bangladesh. The expedition will be entirely unsupported. We will carry everything we need on our bikes and will camp wild as much as possible. Wish us luck!​

Brick Lane to Bangladesh Introduction from Brick Lane to Bangladesh on Vimeo.

Old December 9, 2012, 05:08 AM
Test Cricketer

20 countries overland !! Best of luck
Old December 9, 2012, 10:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
Correction :

Eigula na Bangla boltey parey
Oh I didn't know that Sylheti is not Bangla. I guess I'll start telling people I know another language in addition to knowing Bangla and English.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
Correction :

As the main hub of London's Sylethi community

Eigula na Bangla boltey parey, na Bangla likhtey parey, na Bangla portey parey, vabey jey Bangladeshey khali duita district asey - Dhaka ar Sylhet! , ar national anthem er ko o janey na.

Good luck to Luke and Tom, hope they raise a lot for War Child
There's no need for that. I am not a Sylheti myself but the Sylhetis everywhere on the planet are as patriotic as the rest of us. Don't don't digg into the regional stereotypes. I am sure wherever your root is there's a stereotype against your people too.

Regardless of whether they can't read or write if they love the country that you do then you should have enough respect for them.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

This is super awesome.

Only thing is on my mind, starting from one curry place and ending in another curry place, in between countries will only smell the curry!!