facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old October 23, 2005, 03:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Facts of India that would make you feel proud!

http://www.indianchild.com/amazing_facts_of_India.htm
just luk at it!
sum of the intresting facts are:
The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

Although modern images & descriptions of India often show poverty, India was one of the richest countries till the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake.

The art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh 6000 over years ago. The very word 'Navigation' is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'Nou'.

Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. His calculations was - Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: ( 5th century ) 365.258756484 days.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematicians.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus also orignated from India. Quadratic equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 ( i.e 10 to the power of 53 ) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12( 10 to the power of 12 ).

Until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world. ( Source . Gemological Institute of America )

The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.

Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. Over 2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones and also plastic surgery and brain surgeries.

Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.

The number system was invented by India. Aryabhatta was the scientist who invented the digit zero.

Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages. This is because it is the most precise, and therefore suitable language for computer software. ( a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987 ).

Chess was invented in India.

Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies which originated in India.

The' place value system' and the 'decimal system' were developed in 100 BC in India.

The first six Mogul Emperor's of India ruled in an unbroken succession from father to son for two hundred years, from 1526 to 1707.

The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara temple at Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu. The shikhara is made from a single ' 80-tonne ' piece of granite. Also, this magnificient temple was built in just five years, (between 1004 AD and 1009 AD) during the reign of Rajaraja Chola

India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest country in the
The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.
Built in 1893 after levelling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.

India has the most post offices in the world !

The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system, employing over a million people !.

The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The father of medicine, Charaka,
Old October 23, 2005, 03:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

i wonder if we wudn't hav bin the slaves of britishers the so called golden period of science(1801-2000)
would hav included many indians,they were howeva busy 4 gaining independence!
Old October 23, 2005, 03:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

wonder if these inventions were not done by the indians wot would hav bin the state of the current world!
Old October 23, 2005, 03:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

IEEE has proved what has been a century old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of wireless communication was Prof. Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.
Old October 23, 2005, 03:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

India is one of the few countries in the World, which gained independence without violence.
India has the second largest pool of Scientists and Engineers in the World.
India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
India is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a super computer indigenously.
Following facts were published in a German Magazine which deals with world history. (I couldn't find out the name of that German Magazine, if you find please let me know.)
38% of Doctors in America are Indians.
12% of Scientists in America are Indians.
36% of NASA employees are Indians.
34% of Microsoft employees are Indians.
28% of IBM employees are Indians.
17% of Intel employees are Indians.
13% of Xerox employees are Indians.
Famous Quotes on India (by non-Indians)

Albert Einstein said: We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.

Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said: India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.
http://www.nriol.com/info/amazingindia.html :source for bove facts.

Edited on, October 23, 2005, 8:43 AM GMT, by bombayrocks.
Reason: minor mistakes

Edited on, October 23, 2005, 8:43 AM GMT, by bombayrocks.
Old October 23, 2005, 03:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

The Co-founder of Sun Microsystems, Vinod Khosla, is Indian.

The head of the team that developed the Pentium co-processor, Vinod Dham, is Indian.

The founder and creator of Hotmail, the world's best-known web-based email program, Sabeer Bhatia, is Indian.

The testing Director of Windows 2000, Sanjay Tejwrika, is Indian.
When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)

The four religions born in India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, are followed by 25% of the world's population?

Islam is India's and the world's second largest religion?

Jews and Christians have lived continuously in India since 200 B.C.E and 52 A.D respectively.

"The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi built in the 10th century, is the world's largest religious pilgrimage destination, larger than either Rome or Mecca, with an average of 30,000 visitors every day giving donations to the temple of $6 million (U.S.) daily?" biggest of all facts!

http://www.tourismofindia.com/fs/morefacts.htm:source
Old October 23, 2005, 03:54 AM
First Class Cricketer

India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India; Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century;The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 10^6(10 to the power of 6) whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10^53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10^12(10 to the power of 12).

Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software, reported in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~ggupta/india.html:source for above facts.
Old October 23, 2005, 03:55 AM
First Class Cricketer

THE PYTHOGORAS THEOREM OR THE BAUDHAYANA THEOREM The so-called Pythagoras Theorem- the square of the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides- was worked out earlier by Indian mathematicians.

In Baudhayana Shulba Sutra, a treatise dating back to the 6th Century BCE, it is described that "the area produced by the diagonal of a rectangle is equal to the sum of the area produced by it on two sides
source:http://www.vnn.org/world/9803/16-1698/

The word 'Geometry' seems to have emerged from the Indian word 'Gyaamiti, which means measuring the Earth. The word 'Trigonometry is similar to the word 'Trikonmiti', meaning measuring triangular forms.

Euclid is credited with the invention of Geometry in 300 BCE while the concept of Geometry in India, emerged in 1000 BCE. The treatise of 'Surya Siddhanta' in (4th Century CE) describes amazing details of trigonometry which were introduced to Europe 1200 years later in the 16th Century by Briggs.
Old October 23, 2005, 05:14 AM
Test Cricketer

ok ok......I get it now..............

I understand why some Bangladeshi's have a sour taste for India and Indians.

It's kinda like how some Canadians have a sour taste for Americans.....

....hhhhhhhhmmmm............who would have thought.............

Thanks Bombay, now I get what Ameri.......ahem......I mean Indians are all about...

They are simply the Greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....and the stupid quote at the end, that what defines a Nation is it's past.

What a load of crock....
Especially when most of the Nations of the world don't have much of a past,
and especially since India wasn't even a Nation, but a buch of warring Kingdoms until.............................

.......anyway, I'm the only moron dumb enough to respond.....

For your info Bengal was the richest area and the hub of most of the economic activity.

there's so much to say to contradist many things, but I gotta study....

sounds like someone pretty insecure about his country would post this in a Bangladeshi forum....

I guess you are being slowly overtaken in many areas, health, education........

oh well, can't blame you for feeling insecure.
After all your former rulers were the Muslims.

Than you made a deal with the British and got jobs, land and army work by cooperating with the British,
rather than fight than like your Muslim Indians tried to back then.

...and now (laughing), the Bengalis (former rulers, and slaves), are slowling catching up and kicking your butt)
hahaha.

They are gonna KICK YOUR BUTT in every sector (health, economy, education) within a generation, you watch!!! You remember whiteguy's words.

Well that was fun........Good night!

p.s. watch your response Bombay, or you'll get kicked out! (These are my opinions.)
Old October 23, 2005, 06:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Now that statistics is what I call fuzzy. I will have to look into this. I myself work for a big Hospital which have almost 27 thousnad employee including researchers. I can bet we dont have more than only couple of percentage of Doctors .
Old October 23, 2005, 06:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

Ever considered condensing your posts into ONE single post??

I dunno which extremely-free person would actually bother reading that whole thing...no offense..
Old October 23, 2005, 06:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Lets see.

According to http://www.aapiusa.org/aapi/index.aspx Number of Physicians of Indian Origin is around 41000. And According to http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...shortage_x.htm Total number of Medical Doctors are around 800000. SO Basic Math says the around 19% of octors are of Indian origin. That means the Doctors who are born and brought up in USA is also included.

So one more proof again. Indians like to play with statistics to make it look favourable for them. As for the other stats I would refrain myself from finding more simply because its not worth it.

I would say one more thing IBM have one of the biggest office in the town I reside. Trust me total number of Indian workers is much much less than that. Cause IBM policy is not to hire people without US Permenant residency. Most of the people of Indian or any other origin works there works through consultency firms.
Old October 23, 2005, 07:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think bombayrocks is trying to increase his total number of posts with the multiple posts. His long term goal might be to have indians post 50% of total posts on this bangladeshi fan site!
Old October 23, 2005, 07:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dream theater
Quote:
Now that statistics is what I call fuzzy. I will have to look into this. I myself work for a big Hospital which have almost 27 thousnad employee including researchers. I can bet we dont have more than only couple of percentage of Doctors .
From the top of my head i can say that the figure given for doctors, NASA, and IBM are false.

For NASA or Microsoft, there may be a skewed number of Indians in their research facilities, but i dont think the proportion is so high overall.
Old October 23, 2005, 08:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

cricket_pagol i dont have n e goal as such.........i waz just trying 2 share it wid the forum i m connected wid.
whiteguy said i feel insecured in da forum n thas the reason i got these silly (as u ppl think.)things.
well i thought i mite get sum positive response n..............well i m a little crap in dis forum ppl howeva sorry 4 gettin such a silly thread in this forum.
i m xtremely sorry,do forgive me............i just tried 2 create a healthy atmosphere ther is nuthin such as a goal in my mind guyz.........trust me.
well howeva dont u report this thread 2 mods coz if u feel its silly do lemme kno i'll edit every thing.....
Old October 23, 2005, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
I think bombayrocks is trying to increase his total number of posts with the multiple posts. His long term goal might be to have indians post 50% of total posts on this bangladeshi fan site!
Heh :P

hey bombay rocks u know what I think? i think Bangladesh is a better cricket team than India.

ur team only got short and fat ppl. two kinds only.. u ppl racist. but we got tall and skinny and short and ugly and black and sexy all mixed and diversified and so cool...... we are free!
Old October 23, 2005, 09:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

whiteguy u've changed a lot buddy i neva intended 2 portray bangladeshis smaller n indians big or sumthin as u said.............i m actually a lot hurt....its like even if u do gud ppl chase u by sayin dat we must have fought like muslm indians n lets us rem dat we were slaves n we r cooperating wid britishers 4 our development n due 2 fear..................
one last harsh thing by me to whiteguy.......................even if i get myself banned 4 life in da forum but i intend 2 say u dat we indians aint coward howeva as u've digged sumthin dat u must hav not lemme say u dat the ppl who fought 4 MY COUNTRY's independence were all INDIANS.........and not indian muslims or indian hindus this is wot theocracy does 2 its citizens they try 2 discriminate between every religion..........well i cn assure u dat indian muslims as u call them r damn happy being in india.....i thought whiteguy u were a lot matured n grasp things in ur unique way but who knos how a person turns his bac immediately.
Old October 23, 2005, 09:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

y r u ppl takin me as ur enemy as such guyz??
did i do wrong by makin a thread as this in a BANGLADESHI forum??aint we ppl equl here?
guyz its really makin me sad.
Old October 23, 2005, 09:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Oh come on...!
Give him a break Orphy..
Old October 23, 2005, 10:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

ahmed dat aint funny by orpheus.
sprinkling salt over sum1's bruise is the biggest mistake a human on dis earth can ever do!
Old October 23, 2005, 12:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteguy

For your info Bengal was the richest area and the hub of most of the economic activity.
I agree that Bengal was one of the richest area ..but not the richest ! Lacked maritime business (atleast compared to the western and southern part of the countnty)

Quote:
I guess you are being slowly overtaken in many areas, health, education........
Thats debatable ....India is looking to become one of the superpowers by the end of the first half of this century (in our life time !)

Quote:
After all your former rulers were the Muslims.
India is NOT a Hindhu country it is a secular country ..so this thing of being insecure of muslims does not arise ..And yes India was ruled by Muslims but again ..not all areas and the period of time recent yes , but is only a small percentage of the total recorded history (Indian ..7000+ years ..and Muslims ruled India (majority) for less than 500 years ).So India soes not begin with Muslim rule and does not end there.Recent yes !

Quote:
Than you made a deal with the British and got jobs, land and army work by cooperating with the British,
rather than fight than like your Muslim Indians tried to back then.
This is totally absurd and ridiculous ...I dont blame you for this .Congess Party fought against the British oppsed the ww2 (quit India moment etc..) while the Muslim League aligned with the British ...

Again ,, this is a reaction to Whiteguys post ...Evreyone (hopefullY) here knows that it wa equal contribution form either side and such posts which generalise
and assign bad things to a religion should be condemmened by evreyone

Quote:
...and now (laughing), the Bengalis (former rulers, and slaves), are slowling catching up and kicking your butt)
hahaha.

They are gonna KICK YOUR BUTT in every sector (health, economy, education) within a generation, you watch!!! You remember whiteguy's words.

Again Whiteguy ..this is absurd ..kicking our but ! Please spare me with this absolute nonsense ...

Quote:
p.s. watch your response Bombay, or you'll get kicked out! (These are my opinions.)
I am sorry but this post has got to my nerve .Congrats Whiteguy you have achieved something !
Old October 23, 2005, 01:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

What a response from white_guy. You do know a lot indian history's streets and roads. It is a fact that hindu's helped british to get rid of muslim rulers and thus got the gratitude from british rulers. And that is the reason why indian subcontinent was ruled by few british for such a long time.

Bombayrocks, india a big nation of 115 crore people which is more than one-sixth of earth's population. Until today india has not solved illiteracy, health, poverty, religious riots, pollution.... so on and on. Forget about everything else. When india would achieve 100% literacy throughout the country than it would be bigger than any other achievement india made over her last 10000 year of history. It is true for Bangladesh and any country on earth for that matter.

Anyway dont need to feel too insecured about your country.
Old October 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

hahahah what a reply whiteguy... u seem too stressed over ur studies... relax

The stats do look fuzzy.. but since India has a huge population + immigration record to MEDCs, I guess some of the stats work out proportionally.

One of the 'facts' did make me laugh though...
"Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake."...... umm so let me guess which is the wealthiest and strongest country in the world now

May I add that Indian subcontinent 'back then' was a 'predominantly rich region' ruled by Muslim emperors + the Bengal was a flourished part of this region.
Old October 23, 2005, 03:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by bombayrocks
y r u ppl takin me as ur enemy as such guyz??
did i do wrong by makin a thread as this in a BANGLADESHI forum??aint we ppl equl here?
guyz its really makin me sad.
Aww Bombay, I feel kinda bad now. I expected some crazy harsh response from you revealing your true hateful self, but I guess you are trying to just understand.

To be honest, I have two wisdom teeth growing, and I failed a major mid term on Biology and Drugs. That is why this must MUST be my last post. Maybe the fact that my left side of my face is swollen and my failure might have made me a little harsh.

You have to remember that the last sentence kind of insulted (...the one about a nation is its history) my Czech and Bangladeshi sides.)

Further, halve my family is Bangladeshi, so I am now part biased. I'm sorry I can't help it. I love my little brother-in-law and all his friends, and my Mama and Papa. and my wifes God-Parents, and God-Brother, and her autns and uncles. They are all so cool and accepting.

I studied the history and can put myself into the Bangladeshi skin a little. It's interesting how I can get outraged. I'm surprised myself. I can't imagine how some of them must feel.

I wonder if you could look at the history you are learning in the internet and elsewhere from a "Bangladeshi" mind. Just for fun. Just for awhile. Just imagine that you are on the other side, and THAN read things from that view.

(and bharat, you are right, both sides faught the British, and many Indians liked the British, and there are many varied issues and sides to it all. And India does try to be sucular, and fair to both. There are many great things.)

By the way Bombay, your English is improving a lot. I am impressed. This is good for you. I remember some months back I challenged you, (under another name you were) to go and learn the history because of some crazy statements you made. And you are doing that. That is awsome buddy.

Now I challenge you to see it from the other side. THAT my friend is hard to do, but THAT is what makes a true historian, and what opens up your eyes. Once you do it, you end up doing it in everything. You end up seeing all views and all points from all sides. Your whole mind expands. It's beautiful I think.

But even so, when you have pain from wisdom teeth, have some failures, and are grumpy, your biases jump right out. And I will always be on the side of Bangladeshis, for my kids will be halve Bangladeshi, however, I try to see the India side. Just like I try to see the German side. And the Russian side. But will always be on the Czech side if needed to or called upon.

Ok, I have a group of 5 coming to my house for a group project. gotta go.

Have a good day Bombay and keep on learning. Good luck and sorry I made you sad, I hope you forgive me.

(ok back in Dec. this time I mean in, I'm not getting sucked in again.)
Old October 23, 2005, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

come on guys, give bombay a break. he's just being proud of being indian - the same way that we would like to be proud of our fellow bangladeshis and their accomplishments. i didn't read each and every line of his posts, but i didn't seem to have come across any pointers or references to bangladesh. so let him enjoy the glory!

btw whiteguy - you seem stressed. i think you need a girl.

Edited on, October 23, 2005, 8:35 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Edited on, October 23, 2005, 8:36 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Reason: typos
Closed Thread