facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 17, 2004, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Hats off to Aminul Islam

There have been very few outstanding achievemets for our players and fans in the brief history of Bagladesh cricket. Earning the test status, beating Pakistan in the 1999 world cup and winning the ICC trophy in 1996 are a few. However, even among the likes of Habibul Bashar, who has scored three centuries in tests, Mohammad Ashraful, who is the youngest test centurion in history, Javed Omar, who has carried his bat throughout an inning in a test match, and other big names such as Akram Khan, Minhajul Abedin and G.M. Nousher, one name seems to lie in a stage of uniqueness that none other has reached until now. That name is Aminul Islam, a not-more-than five feet tall man with pretty ordinary features, who holds the record for the second highest score by a batsman in the inaugural test match for his country.

It is not only the records that he possesses under his belt that makes him different from the others; in fact, it is the entire impact that he has left on the game and in the minds of Bangladeshi fans that is the main reason for making this post.

Aminul Islam is a product of our school cricket system. He made his mark in international cricket at a very early age, and quite often, at times when our batsmen were more than happy to be able to see off the opposition bowlers for the full length of the inning, irrespective of the number of runs scored, he would come in and show marks of talent that was pretty unexpected from our players at that time. The best example is his forty run inning against Australia in the Australasia cup, something that has caused the Aussies to remember him ever since.

One could argue that other cricketers of his time have similar achievements. In that case, what was, or is, so special about Aminul Islam?

Well, as mentioned earlier, it is his impact on the game and on its fans that has taken him to an unreachable height. He may not be required to play for the national team anymore, but there was a period of time, and quite a long one too, when small kids all around the country used to look up to him. Everyone wanted to be like "Bulbul". The way he looked at the game impressed commentators, players and fans all over the world. His knowledge of cricket is also awesome, earned from enthusiastic reading. He always believed in the saying "Form is temporary, but class is permanent". This has turned out to be true in his case.

Watching Bangladeshi sportsmen in commercials is a very seldom occurrence. Most of the time, it is models and actors who take up the position. This is another area where Aminul is unique. His appearance in quite a few TV commercials proves his popularity. Those commercials were not just regular advertisements that were meant to bring some revenue to the respective companies. They served more than that. They acted as incentives to many youngsters to take up cricket as a career.

Overall, Aminul's elegant late cut, his classic paddle sweep, intense concentration and ability to stick to the wicket gave our fans, especially our youngsters, something to dream about - a very rare opportunity in a country struck by floods, political unrest, corruption and poverty. Not only did he bring us fame from various corners of the world, but he also won the hearts of many people, both at home and overseas. His century in our first test match was a great achievement, and yet only an addition to all that he had accomplished in his career, and all that he had given us.

I was wondering what you guys think about him. I was also wondering whether it would be a good idea to bring him to this forum to post comments from an expert's point of view. Bringing in players like him and Athar, who have a vast knowledge and understanding of the game would really be great.

Old August 17, 2004, 01:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Is it your write-up or a quote from another source?
Old August 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

It's my write up...why?

Actually haate kaaj kaam ei muhurte ektu kom...so i didnt have much to do...tai kaaj kaam na thakle ja hoy...bekar pechal para...
Old August 17, 2004, 01:53 PM
Retired BC Admin

Cool. I was thinking if it is your write-up then we could open up a new section in our profile page paying tribute to our earlier heroes.

Since you have some time, why not go for it? Give it a try and write few more. Nice work.
Old August 17, 2004, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Well I'd love to...but the problem is...ami ashole gm nousher, rakibul, jahangir shah der shomoykar manush na...

i've watched the generation of akram khan, aminul islam, minhajul abedin, athar ali, and the generations onwards, but not the players who came and went before them.
Old August 17, 2004, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

anyways i'll be able to write stuff abt akram nannu athar faruq and other guys of that era
Old August 17, 2004, 02:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Good read. Nice stuff.
Old August 17, 2004, 02:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
anyways i'll be able to write stuff abt akram nannu athar faruq and other guys of that era
Cool. Please post'em here.
Old August 17, 2004, 04:56 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
write whatever u want bro. just make sure you consider them as great "former" stars.......
Old August 17, 2004, 08:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yeah, it is a good read. Looking forward to more
Old August 17, 2004, 11:01 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
was wondering what you guys think about him. I was also wondering whether it would be a good idea to bring him to this forum to post comments from an expert's point of view. Bringing in players like him and Athar, who have a vast knowledge and understanding of the game would really be great.
I had a chat with him before everything got commercialized in Bangladesh Cricket - before our gaining test status. I think it was through homeviewbangladesh.

It was a 2-3 hours long session chat, many fans from around the world including from banglacricket.com were invovled.

The best thing that I remember from this, was the importance of 'match winners' from him.

About his game, (while batting) I liked the way he used to concentrate in the middle overs - AFTER EACH BALL, he used to look at his bat and just "LOOK", "LOOK" and "LOOK" - you could call it gaze/stare as if he had never seen his bat before, and as if he was memorizing every corner of his bat/bat's sticker. No matter what the previous ball was, he always used to look at his bat this way. Great concentration, I haven't seen any batsman of Bangladesh acting this way - WITH SO MUCH CONCENTRATION!
Old August 18, 2004, 01:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

A great read bro…nice to see someone write about Bulbul who happens to be my all time favourite Bangladeshi batsman…The first time I saw him in an official ODI was in the ’95 Asia Cup in Sharjah against India…I remember his little innings of 30 odd won many praises including Clive Loyd and Gavaskar’s….I even remember the boundaries of that little innings…He square cut Manoj Prabhakar twice for two boundaries and trust me the ball reached the fence in the twinkling of an eye and none of the fielders had even moved an inch…Then he danced down wicket and lofted Utpol Chatterjy for a huge six with effortless ease which landed into the commentary box breaking the glasses…It was a good nine years back but I remember every single shot…He is the classiest player produced by Bangladesh to date...Bringing him into the forum for expert comments would be simply awesome…Take care…

Edited on, August 18, 2004, 6:27 AM GMT, by Shehwar.
Old August 18, 2004, 07:22 AM
Club Cricketer

It is good to notice some of us acknowledge the contribution Aminul made and also recognising his capabilities. I was tired of seeing people writing about the (so called) inferior teams he played against. there are some of us believe the likes of Waugh brothers, Wasim Akram, Ranatunga, DeSilva, Ambrose, Walsh etc were inferior to the ones playing now. Let us acknowledge that Aminul is one of our few players who combined hard work, responsibility and talent. He and Raquibul are our true cricketing icons. Raquibul being the first Bangalee to ever play test cricket. I don't want to create a political debate about Bangalee Vs Bangladeshi. But when Raquibul played in Dhaka test, Bangladesh was not born and there was nothing called Bangaldeshi. However, he was (and probably still is) a Bangalee. Back to Aminul issue, I am sure many of us will accept the fact taht he was forced out of the team prematurely. The team did not gain anything by that. Sure enough he was not in his prime form. But he was still more dependable than many of our 'teen age sensations'. He is not doing a bad job in Victorian league in Australia. Let us not bring him for his expert opinion in this page. Rather bring him for at least 1 or 2 of the upcoming 4 home searies. At least for a few tests. He is not going to win us any match. On the other hand we will probably not loose any test only because of him. He will certainly not score less than 0. Many of our top order sensations often manage to score that magic figure. But by calling him for a test match or two we would have given him a true fare well. We as a nation owe gratitude to him. He deserves a hero's fare well in BNS, Dhaka. After all he is one of our very very few sporting hero.
Old August 18, 2004, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I sooooooooo hope that happens sasharif....
Old August 18, 2004, 08:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Great Writings.... I still remember how he batted and was called the bangaldeshi Miadad..... Wish he had his form a little longer or got the chance to play it a little more but when he was dropped he got enough chance but couldn't made any scores... I am sure if u guys chk his last 5/6 matches you can get the scores he made. How ever I still believe strongly that He can back and should be given a chance if he does good in Aussi league and do well in domestic cricket
Old August 18, 2004, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Default Akram Khan - A true leader

After a player retires, fans sit down to create an account of the positives he has given to the game and his country, what he could have given, and the negatives. In the case of Akram Khan, the first list seems to be quite longer than the other two. In fact, even the strongest critiques would agree that Bangladesh cricket stands where it is today largely because of the contributions of this big but shy-in-nature batsman.

Akram Khan grew up in Chittagong, the second biggest city in Bangladesh. He seems to have sports in his blood - his brothers were well known sportsmen in the local leagues, and his nephew, Nafis Iqbal, is now a national cricketer.

Many believe that Akram Khan is the best captain that the Bangladesh cricket team has ever had. He captained the side in ACC and ICC Trophy outings, winning both. However, it was his captaincy in the ICC Trophy that led him to the hall of fame of Bangladesh cricket. He led the team from the front during the whole length of this tournament. With his excellent ability to win the hearts of even the most junior players in the side, he united the team into a single thread, and in the process, he united the whole nation into one - something that was never achieved since its birth in 1971.

His outstanding inning of 69* in the match against Holland secured us a place in the semi finals of the competition, and eventually, in the world cup for the first time in history. The way he brought the team out of nowhere to beat the Dutch was simply extraordinary.

The final result of his efforts was an ICC Trophy win, which to many Bangladeshis is still the happiest moment since the victory in the independece war (along with the victory over Pakistan in the 1999 world cup).

The Bangladesh national cricket team presented a stunning display of patriotism and unity in the ICC Trophy held in 1996. Although the whole team deserves the credit, this could not have been achieved without the leadership qualities of the big man.

Not only did Akram win hearts with his captaincy, but also with his big hitting abilities. His huge hauls all over the ground and into the stands in every direction of the field were very entertaining. Even among the pack of international cricketers (the likes of which included Wasim Akram, Sanath Jayasuriya and Neil Fairbrother), Akram would rule the Dhaka league with his outstanding run scoring abilities. There were many times when he got his club Abahani out of hopeless positions to win the season title. This was also an area where he led by example, captaining the side and also leading it to victory with his batting.

His story is not merely one of dominating club teams and associate members of the ICC; instead, it also continues on to describe how harshly he had treated world class bowlers in ODI matches. The most dazzling example is a match against India where he scored sixty odd runs. He was simply unstoppable as the Bangladesh inning reached the 50 over mark. He hit bowlers like Agit Agarkar mercilessly, and scored 23 runs off a single over off the bowling of the Indian captain, Saurav Ganguly.

Akram Khan served the country for more than a decade. During this period, he was by far one of the best players produced by Bangladesh. He was a true leader, and an exceptional batter.
Old August 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sasharif
....... Raquibul being the first Bangalee to ever play test cricket........
To the best of my memory, Raquibul was never a part of the playing XI in a test match. I had to be technical, because I cannot remember clearly if he may have been the 12th man in one. He has represented Pakistan team in un-official test match and some other matches. If I am wrong, could anyone please refer me to the test match that he played?

There is no question that he was one of the all time best that we produced. The mere fact that he was considered for the Pakistan team speaks for his quality as a cricketer.
Old August 18, 2004, 11:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Raquibul was the 12th man in a test match as part of the Pakistan team. He did play though in warm up matches as far as I remember.
Old August 18, 2004, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Raquibul Hassan was only 16 when selected as 12th man for Pakistan vs New Zealand, 3rd test in Dhaka, November 1969. He would have gone on and played full tests if he had remained a Pakistani citizen. He chose not to. Andrew Miller quotes him in the article below: "To lose a Test career? That is nothing".

There are others who believe the only reason he was named on the Pak squad was a cynical last-minute attempt by the Pakistanis to show that they were being inclusive in their team selections. Not one East Pakistani Bengali-origin player was selected prior to Raquibul. Lack of talent? Coincidence?

History doesn't do much to record 12th men. But Raquibul was always much more than that.

Here are the links:

Andrew Miller U-19 World Cup article

Pak vs New Zealand, 3rd Test, Dhaka, Nov 1969
Old August 18, 2004, 12:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Thanks Rafiq!
Old August 18, 2004, 05:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

Aminul and Akram were the legends of Bangladeshi cricket...they will remain as that unless our younger crops can grow into world class players...this just reminds me really of England fans still going on about 1966 World cup..always clinging on to the past achievements...we must TRY to look to the future guys...but i agree Aminul Islam has not been given the credit he deserves.
Old August 21, 2004, 09:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

AsifTheManRahman,

Your writing is good. As a matter of fact, very good. Please write some articles. All the best...
Old August 22, 2004, 12:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

Bulbul was Mohamedan Captain and Akram was Abahani captain. Young kids started to emulate them because of domestic leage. I saw lots of those games in Jatio stadium. Abahani Mohamedan rivalry was awsome.
We used to organize Abahani Mohamedan match in our para. Makes me nostalgic.
Old August 22, 2004, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Thanks Doorbin.

Well yes our domestic cricket is no more the way it used to be...sad, very sad.
Old August 22, 2004, 08:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

During Akram Bulbul era our domestic leage would entertain test cricketer from Pakistan, India and so on like Wasim Akram, Lamba, Sidhu. Every club had 1 or 2 foreign players at some point in the leage. This importation culture started from football leage. As Mohamaden and Abahani both used foreign players from Iran, Africa and so on. Bangladesh Football players were also playing in Calcutta leage and some other foreign leage.

One other memeber here metioned about the buzz Bangladesh leage created in India and Pakistan. Indian and Pakistani cricketers would keep up with Bangladesh leage as it could bring money for them if they were selected by Bangladeshi club. These reputation about our leage helped us in getting into test status. You can derive this point if you think in micro level about what the cricket situation was in Bangladesh at that time. There was a justifiable feel good time about Bangladesh cricket around the world. As we know 'Image is everything.' This Domestic leage also produced International player like Bashar, Akram, Bulbul,rafiq and others. There was no substitute of facing Akrams bowling. This leage also developed winning attitude from rivalry such as Abahani-Mohamadan, Biman-Brothers. Winning at any cost was the motto. This motto reflected in our ICC championship.