facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 11, 2017, 09:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Let him take his mush needed sabbatical leave. It will help both in long term: Sakib as well as the team.

Sakib, when/if he comes back he will come back with 100% motivated. And the team will learn to live without a star player and hopefully a new player will step in. Players (in the team) need to learn how to fill up a gap created by the absence of a star performer.

I think when a star player feel that (for whatever reason) he needs a break, I think BCB should give them the break. There should be no hard feeling from either end.

Old September 11, 2017, 10:30 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Let him take his mush needed sabbatical leave. It will help both in long term: Sakib as well as the team.

Sakib, when/if he comes back he will come back with 100% motivated. And the team will learn to live without a star player and hopefully a new player will step in. Players (in the team) need to learn how to fill up a gap created by the absence of a star performer.

I think when a star player feel that (for whatever reason) he needs a break, I think BCB should give them the break. There should be no hard feeling from either end.
Lot of haters on this board, but glad someone gets it
Old September 11, 2017, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:

I hope in that 6 months time, he doesn't consider retiring from test cricket.
It maybe tempting if he sees there's more value to him and his family not playing test cricket.
Old September 11, 2017, 01:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:

Plus a burned out Shakib will not perform they way we all want him to perform. We will have to deal with 10 threads of Sacking him. Raat din khali ei shob bajey thread portey hobay. I can already see the future with a burned out Shakib.
Old September 11, 2017, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

How has Shakib's recent workload been?

Since 2015, Shakib has represented as many as seven franchise T20 sides, across five different competitions. Among the world's top five allrounders, his franchise T20 workload has been the highest, having played as many as 73 matches across these competitions. While he has played each of Bangladesh's 14 Tests in this period, that is by far the lowest in the field and is just over a third of Moeen's 37 Tests. Among players who made their debut around the time Shakib burst on to the international scene, Shakib, along with captain Mushfiqur, remains among the rare ones to still be playing all three formats.
Cricinfo.
Old September 11, 2017, 05:58 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Soumo,Shak,Fiz

It's very easy to call Shakib selfish and blame his reasons for being tired on T20 franchise cricket that he plays. It's easy for us to say oh he should play for his country and play test cricket. Unlike other world stars, whose central contracts are worth millions, Shakib gets very little from BCB. And unlike other Bangladeshi cricketers, Shakib is actually good enough to get picked by all these franchises. He leaves alot of money on the table everytime he cuts his IPL, CPL, BBL stints short to come and play more meaningless bilaterals for Bangladesh.

We can say he should pick country over money. But you are not in his position. It's human nature to want to earn as much money as possible, and his cricket years are limited. Also, most of us live and work in western countries. We have abandoned the country for money. So how is it fair to expect Shakib to not do the same?
Old September 11, 2017, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
It's very easy to call Shakib selfish and blame his reasons for being tired on T20 franchise cricket that he plays. It's easy for us to say oh he should play for his country and play test cricket. Unlike other world stars, whose central contracts are worth millions, Shakib gets very little from BCB. And unlike other Bangladeshi cricketers, Shakib is actually good enough to get picked by all these franchises. He leaves alot of money on the table everytime he cuts his IPL, CPL, BBL stints short to come and play more meaningless bilaterals for Bangladesh.

We can say he should pick country over money. But you are not in his position. It's human nature to want to earn as much money as possible, and his cricket years are limited. Also, most of us live and work in western countries. We have abandoned the country for money. So how is it fair to expect Shakib to not do the same?
Don't be fooled. Shakib makes more money than majority of non-indian big stars. That Australian paper on them playing "paupers" were hilarious becuase shakib makes more money than all of them.

He himself mentioned BCB contract money is neglible. Bulk of his money is from endorsements. And a lot of are from these franchises but he can more than afford to skip many of those as without representing Bangladesh and its glory - his endorsements should go down.

Shakib needs Bangaldesh my friend.

Grameen phone aint gonna pay him if he lifts CPL trophy but if he brings a test series for Bangladesh then grameen will plaster his face all over....
Old September 11, 2017, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Shakib al hasan's net worth is close to 40 million dollars... there is nothing wrong with anyone saying he should give up some of these t20 schedules if it's too much... (bar IPL - he doesnt play there much anyway)
Old September 11, 2017, 09:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Shakib al hasan's net worth is close to 40 million dollars... there is nothing wrong with anyone saying he should give up some of these t20 schedules if it's too much... (bar IPL - he doesnt play there much anyway)

Just to put up an example, one of the biggest world wide demand star last decade in t20 has been Chris Gayle. Despite getting so much money from all of these tournaments his networth is still paltry only because he is not as marketable.

If he was from Bnagladesh and played for BD his networth would easily be 4 to 5x more. It is counterintuive given BD is a "poor" country in the eyes of many but numbers and popularity do not lie.

BD players aren't missing a whole lot by missing out on lesser popular t20 competitions... specilly those that get signed up for 50k or so. It's joke money in grand scheme of things.

So playing for Bangladesh national team has its merit even if contract salary is only 20k a year over the lesser known t20.. cpl, bpl, big bash, psl, global t20.
Old September 11, 2017, 09:48 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I am one of Shakib's biggest fan. If Shakib really wishes to take six months off then I think we have no choice but to accept it. But I would question the timing for such request. There is no doubt that being an allrounder takes quite a toll on the body especially if you are the team's best batsmen and bowler in the Test Arena. But let's not kid ourselves here. The national team had like about a 2 month break. The whole team hasn't even played 10 tests this year. There is no way playing a few two match test series should have him burnt out.

Shakib can afford to play all these leagues for months but he feels burnt out after playing couple of test matches? Heck he was even in the cpl 3 days before the first test match and I was still okay with it as I thought he was professional enough to handle such workload.

Test cricket is the ultimate form. It's what creates a name for the player. And it's not everyday that Bangladesh gets to play SA in SA. For an emerging team like Bangladesh to lose such an important player at this crucial stage is nothing short of a travesty. Shakib has left the whole team and the whole nation high and dry at such an important tour.

I would've understood if it was an injury concern or even an important life event. But if it is just to feel refreshed, then he should have prioritized his commitments and maybe skip few fringe leagues. He should realize that it's playing for Bangladesh that puts him in the top echelon of the game and not Kolkata shepherds or guyanese curries or any of these 3rd rate fringe teams. It's easy money but he will soon be forgotten if he really enjoys sitting on the bench that much then let him.
Old September 11, 2017, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
I am one of Shakib's biggest fan. If Shakib really wishes to take six months off then I think we have no choice but to accept it. But I would question the timing for such request. There is no doubt that being an allrounder takes quite a toll on the body especially if you are the team's best batsmen and bowler in the Test Arena. But let's not kid ourselves here. The national team had like about a 2 month break. The whole team hasn't even played 10 tests this year. There is no way playing a few two match test series should have him burnt out.

Shakib can afford to play all these leagues for months but he feels burnt out after playing couple of test matches? Heck he was even in the cpl 3 days before the first test match and I was still okay with it as I thought he was professional enough to handle such workload.

Test cricket is the ultimate form. It's what creates a name for the player. And it's not everyday that Bangladesh gets to play SA in SA. For an emerging team like Bangladesh to lose such an important player at this crucial stage is nothing short of a travesty. Shakib has left the whole team and the whole nation high and dry at such an important tour.

I would've understood if it was an injury concern or even an important life event. But if it is just to feel refreshed, then he should have prioritized his commitments and maybe skip few fringe leagues. He should realize that it's playing for Bangladesh that puts him in the top echelon of the game and not Kolkata shepherds or guyanese curries or any of these 3rd rate fringe teams. It's easy money but he will soon be forgotten if he really enjoys sitting on the bench that much then let him.
This! Could not have agreed more. I siad it before and will say it again.. i can not stand when our players feel BD owe them something instead of the opposite. Recent outburst by his spouse gives a bit glimpse of that thought process.

his wife likes beaches so he doesn't skip CPL.

I think besides ipl and bpl he shoud skip everything else if he feels burt out.

Regardless, he needs to be back and it is the first time he requested in over a decade so i think being a senior player his wish should be respected. But needs to be made aware that he can go WITHOUT these fringe tourneys and where his true allegiance should lie....
Old September 11, 2017, 11:10 PM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:

Great Post

Said everything that was in my mind
Old September 11, 2017, 11:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:

Top post! Totally agree.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Please,please give me a source, this is all speculation.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Just to put up an example, one of the biggest world wide demand star last decade in t20 has been Chris Gayle. Despite getting so much money from all of these tournaments his networth is still paltry only because he is not as marketable.

If he was from Bnagladesh and played for BD his networth would easily be 4 to 5x more. It is counterintuive given BD is a "poor" country in the eyes of many but numbers and popularity do not lie.

BD players aren't missing a whole lot by missing out on lesser popular t20 competitions... specilly those that get signed up for 50k or so. It's joke money in grand scheme of things.

So playing for Bangladesh national team has its merit even if contract salary is only 20k a year over the lesser known t20.. cpl, bpl, big bash, psl, global t20.

You on weed.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

Has it occured to anyone that there could be a dozen legit reasons for Shakib asking for a break? Maybe he has issues with the coach. Maybe he is exhausted. Maybe he is suffering from anxiety, maybe something happened to his wife or child. Tamim left UK suddenly and we still dont know why. So lets give Shakib the benifit of the doubt.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 12, 2017, 12:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.

You on weed.
He isn't totally wrong.

Cricket isn't as much popular in West indies as it is in Bangladesh. Here every big company wants shakib to be the spokesperson for their company/product due to his image and fan Base.

That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. But yes, in India or in any other country gayle is certainly more marketable than shakib.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
He isn't totally wrong.

Cricket isn't as much popular in West indies as it is in Bangladesh. Here every big company wants shakib to be the spokesperson for their company/product due to his image and fan Base.

That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. But yes, in India or in any other country gayle is certainly more marketable than shakib.
Clubs all over the world, would be more willing to sign T20 Legend Gayle over Shakib
Old September 12, 2017, 12:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

Quote:

That's not the case for caribbean players. There, cricketers are nowhere near as popular as spirtnters or NBA players. .
I disagree with this.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
He isn't totally wrong.

Yea your right about how the companies here want shakib to be their spokesperson IN BANGLADESH. But clearly Gayle is way more marketable. He is paired up with Nike, Toyota, Pepsico, Royal Stag, Royal Challenge. Whilst the beloved Shakib is sponsored by Robi and is the ambassador of some pen company overseas Gayle's ads are on billboards all over asia and here in Australia,heck Sydney airport features a Spartan ad starring Gayle. Gayle is a marketable international figure that is recognised all over the world. Ask a random person on the street who Shakib and then ask who Gayle is, the results will be staggering.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Clubs all over the world, would be more willing to sign T20 Legend Gayle over Shakib
Agreed. Gayle certainly has way more star power than Shakib. Shakib is only popular in Bangladesh.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Please,please give me a source, this is all speculation.
https://www.crictracker.com/shakib-a...ing-cricketer/
Old September 12, 2017, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I know that source, how can you assume that it is reputable. It is written up by some bloke in his garage or studio. I have searched and found no credible source anywhere on the web. If Shakib net worth is really that high he is in the top 10 of the highest paid cricketers(incl sponsorships and ads), going by this source, Shakib net worth is greater than Yuvi, which is nonsensical/highly unrealistic.

A guesstimate of his net worth would be more around the 10-15 million range.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...google.com.au/
Old September 12, 2017, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Agreed. Gayle certainly has way more star power than Shakib. Shakib is only popular in Bangladesh.

Dinrat, We are talking about marketable as earnings power. Being more famous does not mean you are more marketable for commercial purpose.

There are many footballers that earn less than indian cricketers who are MORE known worldwide.

Read my post again.

and here is a personal thought:

Gayle - this is the guy who hits on/harasses white australian women like a chagol on TV. Companies should not stand behind that type of personality...
Old September 12, 2017, 12:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I know that source, how can you assume that it is reputable. It is written up by some bloke in his garage or studio. I have searched and found no credible source anywhere on the web. If Shakib net worth is really that high he is in the top 10 of the highest paid cricketers(incl sponsorships and ads), going by this source, Shakib net worth is greater than Yuvi, which is nonsensical/highly unrealistic.

A guesstimate of his net worth would be more around the 10-15 million range.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...google.com.au/

you can request forbes to run some numbers on shakib.... but you come up with a pretty accurate picture by going through all his number of endorsements and years of t20 earnings... I don't think the number is much off when I briefly look at his years of earnings and number of endorsements. It may be hard for many to believe however.

these endorsements are often multi year contracts...

how do you think forbes is gonna come up with a number? ^above that's how.

That link by forbes proves what exactly? forbes is usually conservative when estimating numbers. Also those are PER YEAR earnings. Dhoni was among the most highest paid athlete in the WHOLE world few years back...(includes soccer, basketball, nfl football) in top 10.. he was in the middle i think forgot. Where do you see yuvi's number?

you can believe whatever you want... He is well paid