facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 23, 2013, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Default The spate of injuries

Every other day yet another one goes down. The national team is starting to like like the Bangladesh C-team. I have seen threads calling for the head of the head coach or the physio - but I refuse to jump on the fashi chai bandwagon yet.

I'm looking at the all the injuries that have befallen the players and it seems like there are two major classes
  • Players playing against medicsal advice during then BPL and aggravating existing niggles
  • A very obvious lack of fitness and training that is causing all the more recent injuries

While players are to be blamed for the first - I am more concerned about the latter.

Thoughts?

Old March 23, 2013, 11:41 PM
MLC World Series I

The responsibility about the latter also befalls on the cricketers. There is so much a physio and a trainer can do, if the cricketers themselves won't follow their advice to augment the process.

This ultimately, has to do with our culture and our attitude towards fitness.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysun
The responsibility about the latter also befalls on the cricketers. There is so much a physio and a trainer can do, if the cricketers themselves won't follow their advice to augment the process.

This ultimately, has to do with our culture and our attitude towards fitness.
Agree 100%.

Anyway, such injuries provide a good opportunity for other players to try and step up, and the chance for the selectors to bring in promising new players just to get their feet wet. Tamim's injury has created a great opportunity for Omi or Kopa Shamsu to step up, or pointlessly try JuSi or KaEdge or The Nazza! or Hannan or Shahriar Mofees or Mofees Iqbal again, or give Soumya a go. Personally, I'm not to excited about any of them.

I'd love to see Taskin have a go in place of physically injured AND emotionally challenged bowlers.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 24, 2013, 03:16 AM
Test Cricketer

If I am not wrong, it's physio's job to help recover someone who is already injured or prone to injuries because of prior conditions. I would understand if the injuries are fitness related, then we can blame whoever is in charge of fitness for the team (its not the physio's job).

But how many of the injuries are fitness related?

Tamim Iqbal got a hairline fracture from fielding, no amount of fitness or physio can prevent that. Nazmul got a freak accident from trying to stop a ball during net training, again nothing can prevent that.

I don't too much about the other injuries, but I doubt, many of them are fitness related or rehabilitation related. If they are, feel free to share; before blaming the physio or fitness for the injuries.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I believe it also has to do with our culture and diet. We are generally lazy and retroactive how many of our players train seriously during the off season? I'd imagine that Ash, Nazmul, Masri, and Mushy are the few hard working cricketers we have. Tamim, Shakib, Rajib, and almost everyone else seems to be lazy to a great extent.

Secondly, Bangladeshis are notorious for their protein poor diet. This obviously will affect our strength and conditioning, but it will also affect healing and regeneration from minor injuries which are inevitable in pro sports. A lot these injuries, from Shakib's issue to Tamim's hairline fracture(s) may very well have been prevented by having strong structural tissues. And you need protein for that.

Daal bhaat khawa na bondo korle we'll remain as an 8-9 ranked side for decades to come.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Obviously culture plays a part. Just look at the fitness of the subcontinental players compared to the non subcontinental teams. The players on Australia, England, West Indies, New Zealand, and South Africa have the actual look of what athletes should look like. There's also a reason why these countries are better in sports which have more athletic demands.i just don't see this changing much unfortunately and we have to live with it.

This is also why it's important we don't rely on just a few individuals. We need more guys stepping up to fill the void. We have to make sure there is a consistent amount of Academy and A team tours in order to have our backups stay fresh and come in whenever needed.