facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 27, 2009, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
I don't see what 'tips' they're going to get. Tips on playing twenty20 cricket? Absolutely useless.
No not only in T20 but the game itself.

Old January 27, 2009, 06:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsash
maybe because he was a key player.But why did they ban the ICL players then?
ICL isnt IPL , they are two different leagues. Dont you know about this ? lol
Old January 27, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
ICL isnt IPL , they are two different leagues. Dont you know about this ? lol
lolz
Old January 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
No not only in T20 but the game itself.
What else are they going to be learning? Honestly, it's a competition in itself, and so all the teams will be in a competitive mood. They aren't going to find time in training sessions to just relax and give pointers on anything besides the competition itself - which is twenty20 cricket.
Old January 27, 2009, 08:38 PM
Cricket Legend

they can learn the game better from the world class batsman and bowlers that all play in ipl. almost every good player plays in ipl
Old January 28, 2009, 02:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

The biggest lesson they are going to get is, "T20 isn't about blind hitting" that many of the writers even here are trying to say like some of our players. Sensible hitting helps in any form of cricket.

Not to forget 'The ability to manage pressure' is a huge mental aspect necessary in any form of cricket.
Old January 28, 2009, 03:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe

"The only way good players can become great is to play the best in the best fights in the biggest arenas"

Remember that before your next comment.
Old January 28, 2009, 08:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Tigers_eye , you are giving 20-20 more credit that it deserves.Players wont change overnight.ODI cricket has improoved the quality of Test cricket over the years and the same will happen with 20-20.

I am not a big fan of 20-20 not because its going to diminish the quality of cricket (I think it will improove) but rather it might slowly kill Test cricket by virtue of its popularity.

If you look at the people who shined in last IPL or the 20-20 WC you would see that only good players have succeeded ..

Shewag and Ghambir are good in all forms so will Marsh and Watson.Class players will succeed in any format.The only thing I see different in this format is that this game is a young mans game, its hard to see the old timers tailor their game to this new format.This happened when ODI's were first introduced.Its more to do with adapting to the format than anything else.
Thanks for replying and few others too. There is big part that most of you are over looking.
1) Rest of the world.
2) And there is Bangladesh.

1) already knows how to play longer version of the game. WE DON"T. So the worry of T20 killing the world cricket is abserd. However, T20 will not enable BD players to learn what they are trying to learn which the longer version of the game. Or atleast delay the learning process.

Ghambir and Shewag mentioned here are already good test cricketer. Playing T20 will not make them forget how to build an inning brick by brick. On the other hand, T20 may not allow Bd players learn how to hold a brick let alone use the head to set it up with the cement to build a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaar
I don't understand how some of you don’t want to acknowledge the valuable learning sessions...
Dear Betaar,
"Need" or "want"? Which one you satisfy first? I would presume "Need" first.

What does BD Cricket NEED in the long-run and in the short-run?
If your answer is any where near to "learning to play the longer version of the game" or "get a win or two in Test cricket" or "some respectable draws" then you have hit the jack pot.

If these boys are let to play T20 cricket instead of 3/4 days matches then their learning process will be much longer to meet the needs of Bd Cricket. That is why I prefer County cricket over IPL. Not for the money part but to gain the know-how.

Hope you understand now that valuable experience will only hinder their growth. We are talking about 20-25 year olds here Not 28-35 year olds.

Anywhere in T20 if one teach patience to the players then I will stop saying what I am saying. As for the bowling experience in the death or blah blah, Geez folks!! What are the need of BD cricket? Bowling or batting? Prioritize your need first. Try to fix which is broken not the one which is working some what well.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
The biggest lesson they are going to get is, "T20 isn't about blind hitting" that many of the writers even here are trying to say like some of our players. Sensible hitting helps in any form of cricket.

Not to forget 'The ability to manage pressure' is a huge mental aspect necessary in any form of cricket.
exactly
Old January 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i have to agree with tigers_eye.

i cannot for the world of me understand some people's infatuation with 20-20 cricket. real cricket fans should know better. the masses will jump for it cuz it provies cheap transient thrills.

in my opinion, comparing 20-20 cricket to tests (and to a lesser, but still relevent extent ODIs) is like comparing a one night stand with a hooker to a (happy) marriage.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

i cannot for the world of me understand some people's infatuation with 20-20 cricket. real cricket fans should know better. the masses will jump for it cuz it provies cheap transient thrills.

in my opinion, comparing 20-20 cricket to tests (and to a lesser, but still relevent extent ODIs) is like comparing a one night stand with a hooker to a (happy) marriage.
Old January 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Final nail in the coffin.

When ODI was introduced there was a saying something to this line;

"All good test players can adapt One day games, Not all good one day players can adapt test games."

(You can knock Gavaskar, the One-day player as much as you want to but he did score a century before he retired - there were no minnows at that time)

Patience is some thing that can not be learnt in few days. In test, patience is tested as a bowler and as a batsman. In one day, that patience has been curtailed to some extent. In T20 that patience is not needed. Matter of fact, that patience will ruin the win column (ask Australia vs Zim).

T20 tournaments are fine for other established nations. Very harmful for BD cricket and its young players who as of now don't know how to play "test". Our existence in cricket world depends on how we do in Test cricket not in T20.

"A good Test player can adapt the T20 format eventually but successful T20 players who struggles at the longer version can not adapt Test matches."
Old January 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

A Big Friend.
Period.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Despite not being a T20 fan (and IPL), the cricket fan in me knows that quality of cricket in IPL is better than the quality of cricket we've seen in the just finished BD vs Zim series.
Old January 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
Test Cricketer

ICL got 15 or so and IPL may get two. Now figure who will be the darling of the players on the fence. If, I were a Rubel or Mahmudullah, I would fancy my chances with ICL. BCB should recognize ICL and move forward.

Last edited by LateCut; January 28, 2009 at 02:21 PM..
Old January 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

At the end of the day, batting whether it be in any format is the same thing over and over again, its just hitting the ball with the middle of the bat.
Old January 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

If these boys are let to play T20 cricket instead of 3/4 days matches then their learning process will be much longer to meet the needs of Bd Cricket. That is why I prefer County cricket over IPL. Not for the money part but to gain the know-how.
TE, I do not disagree with your post a single bit, no only objection I have is bolded, "instead of". I never said T20 is better than County nor have I compared it with any other form of cricket. Surley county is better, but who says these players are declining county offers for IPL? I don't know of any such news, do you? But isn't IPL contract better than nothing (and I am not talking financially) or even playing in NCL where none of the national players actually perform?
Old January 28, 2009, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Nobody or at least I didn't compare T20 with test......the question is not even which format will help BD cricket rather whether IPL will help BD cricket or harm it.

On the side note, wouldn't you rather have a very pleasurable one night stand where you are highly paid than go back to a bumpy marraige that only causes you heartache?
Old January 29, 2009, 06:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

not a foe.

this is how our players play. this is the way cricket is going, it is the age of hitters.

they won't stop trying to be hitters. its better for them to practise hitting in the ipl and perfecting it for our national team rather than continuing to hit without skill in our bangladeshi outfit.
Old January 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
... But isn't IPL contract better than nothing (and I am not talking financially) or even playing in NCL where none of the national players actually perform?
I agree to disagree with you.

"Dustu goru'r (No pun intended to G) cheye shunno goaal bhalo."

IPL (Any T20 tourney) will teach our batsmen bad things. Will erase the word "patience" from their vocabulary and force them to play no footwork ura-dhura, andha-gunda shots. That is what T20 is all about. Geared towards cheap entertainment for the (I have no time) fans. You love the game you make time.

The format that will hurt these boys learning process of the longer version of the game can only be seen as "evil" to me. My loyalty lies with the team first (Test team first). It is better for them to even sit out and not play at all (rest). - my thoughts.

County contract will come if these boys practice any sort of patience.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I agree to disagree with you.

"Dustu goru'r (No pun intended to G) cheye shunno goaal bhalo."
I respectfully disagree, nothing compares to an actual match experience (even if it's 20-20) is better than a 10-12 hour long batting or bowling session in the nets, needless to say just sitting around which you are referring to as "Shunno Goaal".
Old January 29, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Chris Board and few other blokes have the right idea. For good reason they are skipping IPL.

Hypothetically, our boys are class 9-10 students going to village schools. Some have the maturity of college students. The world cricket established players are similar to Harvard students or graduates. Instead of sending our boys to work, I ask them to apply for IVY league schools. In course of time they will have a better chance of succeeding. IPL is a diploma mill.

Now there are some exceptions like Bill Gates (Sobers type). They are the college dropouts. I wonder how many we have in our (BD players) ranks.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Chris Board and few other blokes have the right idea. For good reason they are skipping IPL.

Hypothetically, our boys are class 9-10 students going to village schools. Some have the maturity of college students. The world cricket established players are similar to Harvard students or graduates. Instead of sending our boys to work, I ask them to apply for IVY league schools. In course of time they will have a better chance of succeeding. IPL is a diploma mill.

Now there are some exceptions like Bill Gates (Sobers type). They are the college dropouts. I wonder how many we have in our (BD players) ranks.
NADA...none...good example...

IPL might give them opportunity to play against quality players but the money impact might destroy this young mind. I would request the players (if they read BC) to understand about the consequences and think serously about their career.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:

I feel I'm a bit more qualified to talk about "diploma mills", after all I was part of one. A school is only as good as it's students are. Fill the IPL with Dhaka Premier League players, and the cricket you will see won't be any better than Dhaka Premier League cricket.