facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
When u take a bank loan to purchase a car, it is still your car and you use it whatever the way you want!!! The bank is not neutering you by giving u the loan (given the fact that there is no question on defaulting on the loan).... Going by your logic we should not build Jamuna setu and padma setu, afterall all transit route would use the two bridges??? At the end of the day its OUR ROAD, OUR LAND!!! OUR people will use it, the roads will not be exclusively used for indian trucks. If you say it will be primarily used for indian trucks and no bangladeshi vehicle shall be allowed than please back your statement with some references. We are taking loans from India because we dont have cash lying around to build them ourselves and low interest rate...
last i heard its OUR fair share of water too...you can even get water, good luck keeping YOUR road.

i never said exclusively used by India...but lets suppose they get even 10% of total usage...why should we foot 110% of the bill (with added interest)? See its that total loss of negotiating power that equals loss of sovereignty. Paying 95% for 90% usage would an understandable thing.

And I highly doubt the nation that is domineering enough to suggest ALL the waters of the himalayas belong to them would allow you to build roads and railways how you see fit. My guess is an inordinate amount will be away from what we need and towards what they need.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old September 8, 2011, 12:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Navo - you brought out an interesting point but one which may be beyond the scope of this thread or even forum. I wonder if Bangladesh was even ready for Westphalian sovereignty when and how the nation was grafted first out of India. The borders that divide the Bengal nation are ripe for irredentist demands. Until the nation (and the neighborhood) is at ease in its own skin (border), I do not see us escaping the narrow strictures of an Westphalian state into something more global or at the very least regional. I have always thought that the Balkanization of the sub-continent is a first-step towards a more equitable supra-national regional entity.
Yes, those are very good points. Firstly, regarding the creation of a Westphalian state, there is the question of creating a 'national narrative' replete with a specific history, tradition and founding myths. England has been able to do this very successfully, by creating a history that is a bit blurry around the edges and a religion, completely their own (Anglican Christianity). For us, creating our own distinct traditions and narrative has been very difficult, because the majority of the country has a Bengali heritage and an Islamic faith, neither of which are completely their own. They are shared across borders, with countries that they don't always see eye-to-eye with (understatement i know). To top it off, this etho-linguistic heritage and religious faith is sometimes seen to be at odds with each other, which causes even more confusion regarding national identity. Until we are able to reconcile these two aspects and engage with the oft-disregarded 'minority' issues, we will struggle to establish a confident narrative or, as you said, become comfortable in our 'skin'.

Secondly, our region is still too unstable for any really meaningful cooperation and most people are too vehemently against it. But as time passes, resources diminish further and we see the example of other countries, more people in our part of the world will come to realize the necessity of close regional cooperation and will not become as easily inflammed whenever such issues are broached on a bilateral or multilateral level. Necessity will drive them.

Also, I'm sorry if I introduced something that was beyond the scope of this thread/forum but it is hard to resist bringing up such issues sometimes, given that there are very few places on the internet where so many intelligent Bangladeshis (or other nationals interested in Bangladeshi affairs) gather so regularly!
Old September 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Of course its not a loss of sovereignty; but what would we call it if the "legal goods" brings about attacks by Maoists on Bangladeshi soil ?

I guess ...we will call it a terrorist attack and we will clean all those Maoists out of our boundary. We shouldn't be blackmailed by Maoists.

We spends lots of money for our defense force, if they cannot handle Maoists, we should ask exactly why we need them.
Old September 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I guess ...we will call it a terrorist attack and we will clean all those Maoists out of our boundary. We shouldn't be blackmailed by Maoists.

We spends lots of money for our defense force, if they cannot handle Maoists, we should ask exactly why we need them

These are all noble and idealistic beliefs: but in the world of real politics, if we do start facing attacks from Maoists , who might as well have the sympathies of a bigger kid than India, would it be worth it ?
Would any Indian transit vehicles be passive like NATO Tankers in Pakistan, or will they claim the right to have armed "guards" who will claim the authority to do what they want?

As you might notice i am asking more questions than making blanket predictions....
Old September 8, 2011, 04:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
These are all noble and idealistic beliefs: but in the world of real politics, if we do start facing attacks from Maoists , who might as well have the sympathies of a bigger kid than India, would it be worth it ?
Would any Indian transit vehicles be passive like NATO Tankers in Pakistan, or will they claim the right to have armed "guards" who will claim the authority to do what they want?

As you might notice i am asking more questions than making blanket predictions....
How you are so sure that the big kid gives a damn about that? They are busy becoming another capitalist county right now.

So you say we give up our dignity and start fearing each and every small terrorist groups and compromise our decision to they don't get mad?

Life is not 100% risk free, and its better to stand against possible threat and risk attack then living a spineless miserable life worrying about not to annoy Maoists.

We should sign/not sign agreement based on solely if its good for us or not. For example if its good for us and not good for Maoists, why should care about Maoists ? What they have done for us, besides making our land their battleground?
Old September 9, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
How you are so sure that the big kid gives a damn about that? They are busy becoming another capitalist county right now.

So you say we give up our dignity and start fearing each and every small terrorist groups and compromise our decision to they don't get mad?

Life is not 100% risk free, and its better to stand against possible threat and risk attack then living a spineless miserable life worrying about not to annoy Maoists.

We should sign/not sign agreement based on solely if its good for us or not. For example if its good for us and not good for Maoists, why should care about Maoists ? What they have done for us, besides making our land their battleground?

Completely agree.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Yes, I have to admit that BAL did very well here. Far far better than what I expected of them. Whatever the reason, whoever the person...it was a job well done. I expected to wake up to see Bangladesh being a de facto 29th state of India. Surprised and pleased to see it wasn't the case.

But I hope the transit deal never gets signed...unless we are assured of no ill effect, financial or security.
Who will assure us and why should we believe the party in question on that? We have to weigh out risks and benefits and make our decision.

And actually what risk do we anticipate? Dropping guns? Agents? Or dorpping Harmful objects inside BD? I'm not really clear about the threat. I don't see any extra threat what they can't do now, that they can do through transit?

IMO, Transit should be viewed completely from an economic point of view, no point assuming fictitious threats. If Europe could amidst all the differences, why can't we? If GCC can why can't we? If Africa can why can't we? .... In fact a country surrounded on three sides by another with a potential of a billion consumers, we are really missuing out on such a huge market that could be so easily accessible. But we should make the deals on equal and mutual benefit basis and come out of inferiority complexes. We should't hesitate to take tit for tat actions to keep India tied to their agreements.

If some people are scared of Indian military power, they must know that India doesn't afford to have another troubled border on the East, nor they have that capacity. So to position ourselves on a equal platform, we shouldn't be only asking for thing, we should also be ready to give. And whatever you give can form very strong burgaining tools in the long term. And nothing is unconditional in this world except true love, which is a rare commodity these days....

So I think we should proceed with the transit without doubt, and BAL should publish the draft so that they can incorporate reasonable concerns from the people and experts, to make the best possible deal.

Last edited by BANFAN; September 9, 2011 at 02:53 AM..
Old September 9, 2011, 02:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Why wasn't a Test+ODI series in India part of the discussion?

This issue shouldv'e been discussed at the PM level (IMO). If India-Pak can discuss cricket at PM level, we should've done the same.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Who will assure us and why should we believe the party in question on that? We have to weigh out risks and benefits and make our decision.

And actually what risk do we anticipate? Dropping guns? Agents? Or dorpping Harmful objects inside BD? I'm not really clear about the threat. I don't see any extra threat what they can't do now, that they can do through transit?

IMO, Transit should be viewed completely from an economic point of view, no point assuming fictitious threats. If Europe could amidst all the differences, why can't we? If GCC can why can't we? If Africa can why can't we? .... In fact a country surrounded on three sides by another with a potential of a billion consumers, we are really missuing out on such a huge market that could be so easily accessible. But we should make the deals on equal and mutual benefit basis and come out of inferiority complexes. We should't hesitate to take tit for tat actions to keep India tied to their agreements.

If some people are scared of Indian military power, they must know that India doesn't afford to have another troubled border on the East, nor they have that capacity. So to position ourselves on a equal platform, we shouldn't be only asking for thing, we should also be ready to give. And whatever you give can form very strong burgaining tools in the long term. And nothing is unconditional in this world except true love, which is a rare commodity these days....

So I think we should proceed with the transit without doubt, and BAL should publish the draft so that they can incorporate reasonable concerns from the people and experts, to make the best possible deal.
any deal we make is going to be made on Indian terms, so we will never get a fair deal. that is the law of the world. but we must be willing to cut our losses instead of bending over backwards to someone just because they happen to be our ideological butt-buddy.

as Doc said, unless we know about all the details there is no way any rational person can say "this is a great deal" those who have said so with surety are probably nothing more or less than "reverse razakars" whose allegiences lie elsewhere.

the fact that the neighbor's behavior usually occilates between downright hostility and condescending acceptance lends on to predict with reasonable certainty that any deal made would be a huge rip off. there is no hard and fast evidence (ie details of the deals) but common sense indicates that we don't stand to benefit.

the fact that a moral right (water issues) is tied to a convenience (transit) is further fact that the deal is lopsided to begin with. we must negotiate with every tool we have and transit is one of them.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 9, 2011, 06:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Fear-mongering at its best ! I am quiet happy to see that none of the other posters (other than al Furqaan) see the existential threat .

Started out trying to quote and rebuke 'al Furqaan's exasperated arguments , but soon realized that all his arguments are intended to fuel a specific purpose and did not warrant a response .

India's relation with BD is not as rosy as India-Nepal but again its not as extreme as India-Pak. If we kept out insane voices (on both sides) out of the equation there is no reason for optimism . The big questions is who will shut these fear-mongers ?
Old September 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Fear-mongering at its best ! I am quiet happy to see that none of the other posters (other than al Furqaan) see the existential threat .

Started out trying to quote and rebuke 'al Furqaan's exasperated arguments , but soon realized that all his arguments are intended to fuel a specific purpose and did not warrant a response .

India's relation with BD is not as rosy as India-Nepal but again its not as extreme as India-Pak. If we kept out insane voices (on both sides) out of the equation there is no reason for optimism . The big questions is who will shut these fear-mongers ?
depends on how you define existential...according to the extreme Bangladesh is already a de facto 29th Indian state...there are probably elements of truth to that.

because of their size and power, it is impossible for Bangladesh to get a totally "fair" deal from India as regards to most anything. we have to accept that. but there is a giant chasm between slight imbalance and a total rip off.

put it this way.

why would the Indian gov consider giving us a soft loan with low interest rate to build whatever we wanted? low interest means it doesn't make much business sense...unless the string attached to that favour is very long.

now i might be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if half of the projects undertaken with that money is used directly at New Delhi's behest.

the funny thing with some of pro-India posters on BC is this argument right here "India is acting very generously with BD...hey, don't criticize us for looking out for our interests; its what all stats do!"

so which is it, more for self interest or generosity?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 10, 2011, 02:33 PM
BC Editorial Team

I think we should be wary in all our dealings with foreign powers, whether it is the US, China or India. It just happens to be that India geographically surrounds us on almost all sides, so we have to deal with them more regularly and on a greater variety of issues.

However, succumbing to paranoia will not do us any good, especially in this age where international cooperation is a must. While we should carefully consider each treaty/agreement we go into, we shouldn't use 'being careful' as an excuse to stall or scrap them altogether. We should realize that each party will try to act in their own self-interest and we should lobby effectively to ensure our self-interest is expressed as well.

In regards to this transit issue, for instance, I think there is potential for us benefiting from it as well - it is not as if Indian trucks will roll up the road(s) when they are not using it! It might be too much to expect them to always act 'in good faith', but we should expect that they will keep their word. At least, in relation to the Enclaves issue which was recently addressed, India has been keeping its word so far: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=201847

I also think, increased cooperation and dialogue will provide us with us more opportunities to address the really thorny issues of border shootings, this horrible wall that they have put up and movement of people. You know, speaking of the Wall across the border, if this was made between countries in any other part of the world, it would have gained more attention and caused more outcry. When Israel made a much smaller wall across disputed Palestinian territory, there was a huge international uproar and the issue went to the International Court of Justice...
Old September 11, 2011, 11:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I think we should be wary in all our dealings with foreign powers, whether it is the US, China or India. It just happens to be that India geographically surrounds us on almost all sides, so we have to deal with them more regularly and on a greater variety of issues.

However, succumbing to paranoia will not do us any good, especially in this age where international cooperation is a must. While we should carefully consider each treaty/agreement we go into, we shouldn't use 'being careful' as an excuse to stall or scrap them altogether. We should realize that each party will try to act in their own self-interest and we should lobby effectively to ensure our self-interest is expressed as well.

In regards to this transit issue, for instance, I think there is potential for us benefiting from it as well - it is not as if Indian trucks will roll up the road(s) when they are not using it! It might be too much to expect them to always act 'in good faith', but we should expect that they will keep their word. At least, in relation to the Enclaves issue which was recently addressed, India has been keeping its word so far: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=201847

I also think, increased cooperation and dialogue will provide us with us more opportunities to address the really thorny issues of border shootings, this horrible wall that they have put up and movement of people. You know, speaking of the Wall across the border, if this was made between countries in any other part of the world, it would have gained more attention and caused more outcry. When Israel made a much smaller wall across disputed Palestinian territory, there was a huge international uproar and the issue went to the International Court of Justice...
Well said, except the last part. Israel is building wall on Palestine territory, that's the reason for outcry and legal steps. US has built and are building barbed wire fence along Mexico border, there is no outcry withnthat. Infact I don't understand why people are making our one a big issue. I'm rather happy that India is building it at their cost. An open border is damaging our economy much more than them. Because all we get is fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food from the other side illegally, while our imported items are going into their side. We are double looser since those are bought by our FC and the criminals take refuse across the border easily. People's movement is least. If all the border is blocked by fence and only legal entries are open, we will benefit economically, socially, security wise etc etc in many ways. So the fence along BD - Ind border is basically of our interest. Only our kalobazaris will lose business, is that bad?
Old September 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
. Because all we get is fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food from the other side illegally,
Lets not forget cows, and plenty of them come November
Old September 13, 2011, 03:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Lets not forget cows, and plenty of them come November
Yes, but cows are all coming legally for a long time now.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Well said, except the last part. Israel is building wall on Palestine territory, that's the reason for outcry and legal steps. US has built and are building barbed wire fence along Mexico border, there is no outcry withnthat. Infact I don't understand why people are making our one a big issue. I'm rather happy that India is building it at their cost. An open border is damaging our economy much more than them. Because all we get is fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food from the other side illegally, while our imported items are going into their side. We are double looser since those are bought by our FC and the criminals take refuse across the border easily. People's movement is least. If all the border is blocked by fence and only legal entries are open, we will benefit economically, socially, security wise etc etc in many ways. So the fence along BD - Ind border is basically of our interest. Only our kalobazaris will lose business, is that bad?
In my original post I did mention that the Palestinian territory was disputed but the point being is a) the construction of a wall is a hostile gesture and b) is unlikely to be effective in achieving its purpose. You'll notice how the trade of narcotics and illegal immigration continues to be a problem at the US-Mexico Border and the construction of a wall has only made smugglers/traffickers more devious. It's also unsurprising that now, the area near the border, Northern Mexico, has become the most dangerous place in the country with considerable gang/drug cartel crime. (Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13723991) Instead of being a long term solution to these issues, this stop-gap measure only serves to appease right wing political elements concerned about 'filthy immigrants taking our jobs'.

I believe the repercussions of the India-Bangladesh wall will be similar. I'm certain the illegal products - "fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food" and trafficked humans will continue to be transported across the large border but the process will just become a bit more complicated. It does lip-service to the concerns of the BJP but sours Indo-Bangladesh relations.

Cooperation and innovative solutions implemented through a joint effort is what is required to tackle the issues you mention. Just building a wall will not go to the root of the problem, much less erase it.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:57 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
But do the Balkans have such a sentiment that transcends their immediate borders? I also think the division of the Raj into India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Balochistan would be for greater equitability and freedom. But not sure it would create any supra-national feelings, rather the reverse.

Btw, your mention of Westphalia brings back decade old memories of studying European history as a high school senior. Need to refresh my memory...i think 1648 is the date, but I couldn't tell you anything about what happened then.
hmm i think u meant to say kashmir??
Old September 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
In my original post I did mention that the Palestinian territory was disputed but the point being is a) the construction of a wall is a hostile gesture and b) is unlikely to be effective in achieving its purpose. You'll notice how the trade of narcotics and illegal immigration continues to be a problem at the US-Mexico Border and the construction of a wall has only made smugglers/traffickers more devious. It's also unsurprising that now, the area near the border, Northern Mexico, has become the most dangerous place in the country with considerable gang/drug cartel crime. (Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13723991) Instead of being a long term solution to these issues, this stop-gap measure only serves to appease right wing political elements concerned about 'filthy immigrants taking our jobs'.

I believe the repercussions of the India-Bangladesh wall will be similar. I'm certain the illegal products - "fencidyle, drugs, weapons, contaminated food" and trafficked humans will continue to be transported across the large border but the process will just become a bit more complicated. It does lip-service to the concerns of the BJP but sours Indo-Bangladesh relations.

Cooperation and innovative solutions implemented through a joint effort is what is required to tackle the issues you mention. Just building a wall will not go to the root of the problem, much less erase it.
Yes, along side temporary measure, you need political measures to make a long term & sustainable solution to the problem. No long term measure will be effective without such temporary measures. "Chor na shune dhormer Kahini" they need physical deterence.

But the direct comparison, between US-Mexico & Ind-Bd is wrong in its premise. One is a land of Migration and offers much better opportunities to the migrators, while the other (India) will never become a land of migration & Offer no extra opportunity for the skilled work force. They have enough of them. It's still a beggar's migration, who has nothing to lose.

According to current rate of poverty alliviation (UN MDG Report), BD will get rid of poverty much earlier than India, due to its shere size and number. So, there is hardly any humanitarian issue/cause developing accross our border soon, neither we have Mexico style strong armed Mafia groups to resist the efforts of the governments.

yes, some miscreants will still continue to do petty criminal activities for petty gains, but I dont see any hue and cry happening from such illegal groups. This is a political issue in BD while it's a public issue in mexico.

India/China will never become a place of opportunity through migration, not in this century at least. More than one Bangladesh is bellow the poverty line in India. So I dont see any scope of public hue and cry on our side for not being able to work illegally india. It's only a harmless anti indian rhetoric of BNP for the black marketeers' interest. I'm more than happy that India is building the fence and at their cost. We will benefit the most from this fence. We want legal trade on both sides, that's the opportunity a developed India can offer us.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan28
hmm i think u meant to say kashmir??
no, i meant Balochistan. Balochis feel very neglected and disenfranchised by the powers that be in Islamabad...quite similar to how Bengalis in East Pakistan felt. Difference is that Balochis don't have the power or numbers that we Bengalis had and thus the status quo remains.

Not sure about Kashmir, but i think i read somewhere that majority Kashmiris would prefer independence over annexation to Pakistan or retention by India. again, i don't have any sources, but i think this is what i read/heard somewhere.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Dhuuurr talks fail korey gelo...brother in-laws amader Tistaar pani dilo naa...
Old September 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Hoi Neel Geli Koi? Pani dey betA...hehhehehe ekhon ketey poreche heheheheh~
Old September 14, 2011, 10:36 PM

Interesting report from Shamokal on Tista saga, Yet to know the truth why Momota took that U-turn in the last moment.

তিস্তা চুক্তি না হলে ক্ষতি হবে পশ্চিমবঙ্গেরই
11.36%

গড় রেটিং:

রেটিং :

গৌতম লাহিড়ী, নয়াদিলি্ল
বাংলাদেশ-ভারতের মধ্যে তিস্তা পানি চুক্তি স্বাক্ষরিত না হওয়ায় পশ্চিমবঙ্গেরই ক্ষতিগ্রস্ত হওয়ার আশঙ্কা দেখা দিয়েছে। দু'দেশের মধ্যে চুক্তি না হওয়ায় বিশ্বব্যাংক প্রস্তাবিত ১.৫ বিলিয়ন মার্কিন ডলার ঋণ স্থগিত হয়ে যেতে পারে। প্রধানমন্ত্রী ড. মনমোহন সিং এখন রাজনৈতিক দূতের মাধ্যমে এ আশঙ্কার কথা পশ্চিমবঙ্গের মুখ্যমন্ত্রী মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়ক বোঝাতে শুরু করেছেন। ভারতের অর্থমন্ত্রী প্রণব মুখোপাধ্যায় সেপ্টেম্বরের শেষ সপ্তাহে যুক্তরাষ্ট্র সফর করছেন। তার সঙ্গে ওই সময় বিশ্বব্যাংক কর্তাদের আলাপ-আলোচনা হতে পারে বলে নির্ভরযোগ্য সূত্রে জানা গেছে। পশ্চিমবঙ্গের উত্তর ভাগের জেলাগুলোতে তিস্তার পানিতে চাষের জন্য
সেচব্যবস্থা গড়ে তুলতে ভারত সরকার বিশ্বব্যাংকের আর্থিক সাহায্যের জন্য উদ্যোগ নিয়েছিল। কিন্তু জাতিসংঘের ঘোষিত নীতি হলো, আন্তর্জাতিক নদীগুলোর উপর অববাহিকার রাষ্ট্র এমনভাবে পানি ব্যবহার করতে পারবে না যাতে নিম্ন অববাহিকার রাষ্ট্র কোনোভাবে বঞ্চিত হয়। তিস্তার ক্ষেত্রে ভারত (সিকিম ও পশ্চিমবঙ্গে) উপর এবং বাংলাদেশ রয়েছে নিম্ন অববাহিকায়। প্রধানমন্ত্রী মনমোহন সিংয়ের বাংলাদেশ সফরে যদি তিস্তা নিয়ে দু'দেশের মধ্যে চুক্তি স্বাক্ষরিত হতো তাহলে পানি বণ্টনের ক্ষেত্রে একটি সুষম নীতি গৃহীত হতে পারত। এতে বিশ্বব্যাংকের পক্ষে পশ্চিমবঙ্গে সেচপ্রণালি বিস্তারে অর্থ সাহায্য করতে অসুবিধা হতো না। এ কারণে দিলি্লর জাতীয় কংগ্রেসের নেতারা বলতে শুরু করেছেন, মুখ্যমন্ত্রী মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায় যদি এ বৃহত্তর বিষয়টি উপেক্ষা করেন তাহলে 'পশ্চিমবঙ্গের স্বার্থ' আদৌ কি রক্ষিত হবে?
পশ্চিমবঙ্গের প্রদেশ কংগ্রেস নেতাদের একাংশ এরই মধ্যে রাজধানী দিলি্ল এসে সর্বভারতীয় কংগ্রেস কমিটির সাধারণ সম্পাদক রাহুল গান্ধীর সঙ্গে দেখা করে মুখ্যমন্ত্রীর 'তিস্তা রাজনীতির' সমালোচনা করেন। এমনকি তারা আসন্ন পঞ্চায়েত নির্বাচনে শরিক তৃণমূল কংগ্রেসের সঙ্গে রাজনৈতিক জোট ভেঙে এককভাবে ভোটে প্রতিদ্বন্দ্বিতা করার প্রস্তাব দেন। কংগ্রেস সভানেত্রী সোনিয়া গান্ধীর রাজনৈতিক সচিব আহমেদ প্যাটেল স্বীকার করেন, 'পশ্চিমবঙ্গের কংগ্রেস নেতাদের অভিযোগ পেয়েছি।'
পশ্চিমবঙ্গের উত্তরে গজলডোবায় ১৯৭৬ সালে তিস্তা নদীর ওপর বাঁধ নির্মাণ শুরু হয়। উদ্দেশ্য উত্তরবঙ্গের প্রায় সাড়ে ৯ লাখ হেক্টর জমিতে সেচের পানি পেঁৗছে দেওয়া। কিন্তু এখন পর্যন্ত সে কাজ সম্পূর্ণ হয়নি। বর্তমানে মাত্র ৬০ হাজার হেক্টর জমিতে চাষের জন্য পানি সরবরাহ করা হয়। কারণ এখনও সেচ-খাল নির্মিত হয়নি। এ সেচ-খাল নির্মাণের জন্য ভরত সরকার বিশ্বব্যাংকের সঙ্গে আলোচনা শুরু করেছে। খাল নির্মিত না হওয়ায় এখন পশ্চিমবঙ্গের গজলডোবায় মাত্র ২৫ শতাংশ তিস্তার পানি ব্যবহৃত হয়। অবশিষ্ট পানি অযথা হয় বাংলাদেশের দিকে নয়তো অব্যবহৃত হয়ে সমুদ্রে বয়ে যায়। এ খাল নির্মিত হলে পশ্চিমবঙ্গের আরও বৃহত্তর এলাকায় তিস্তার পানি সেচের জন্য পেঁৗছে দেওয়া যেত।
প্রধানমন্ত্রীর বাংলাদেশ সফরসঙ্গী ভারত সরকারের এক উচ্চপদস্থ কর্মকর্তা জানান, তিস্তায় এখন কতটা পানি প্রবাহিত হয় তার উভয় দেশের মধ্যে গ্রহণযোগ্য কোনো পরিমাণ চিহ্নিত করা হয়নি। তিস্তার খসড়া চুক্তিতে বলা হয়েছিল, শুষ্ক মৌসুমে দু'দেশ ৫০-৫০ ভাগ পানি বণ্টন করে নেবে। বাংলাদেশের লালমনিরহাটের ডালিয়াতে তিস্তার পানি অন্যান্য ছোট নদী সূত্রে আরও বাড়তি পানি পাবে। এটাও চুক্তিতে উল্লেখ করার জন্য ভারতের জাতীয় নিরাপত্তা উপদেষ্টা শেষ মুহূর্তে ফের ঢাকা উড়ে গিয়েছিলেন। ভারত সরকারের মতে, এটাও মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায় মেনে নিয়েছিলেন। তার ঢাকা সফর বাতিল নিঃসন্দেহে বিস্ময় সৃষ্টি করে_ এটা প্রধানমন্ত্রী মনমোহন সিং নিজেই সফরসঙ্গী সাংবাদিকদের কাছে গোপন করেননি।
ভারতের জাতীয় ইংরেজি দৈনিক 'দ্য হিন্দু'র কাছে এক সর্বভারতীয় কংগ্রেস নেতা স্বীকার করেন, উত্তরবঙ্গে কংগ্রেসের ভোটব্যাংক দখল করার জন্য মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায় 'জনপ্রিয়তা' অর্জনের জন্য তিস্তা চুক্তিকে ব্যবহার করেছেন; কিন্তু তারা বিশ্বাস করেন, এতে তার হিতে বিপরীত হতে পারে। কেননা কংগ্রেস নেতৃত্ব পাল্টা প্রচার করতে চায়, তিস্তা চুক্তি স্বাক্ষরিত হলে উত্তরবঙ্গে আরও বিস্তীর্ণ এলাকায় পানি পেঁৗছে দেওয়া যেত। যদি বিশ্বব্যাংক সেচপ্রণালি গড়তে অর্থ সাহায্য করতে রাজি হয়।
তবে ভারত সরকার বা জাতীয় কংগ্রেস নেতৃত্ব হাল ছাড়ছে না। ইউপিএ সরকারের অন্যতম প্রধান শরিক তৃণমূল কংগ্রেস। দিলি্লতে সরকার চালাতে হলে তৃণমূল কংগ্রেসের সমর্থন অবশ্য প্রয়োজন। এ জন্য প্রধানমন্ত্রী মনমোহন সিং একের পর এক শীর্ষস্তরের মন্ত্রীকে কলকাতা পাঠিয়ে মুখ্যমন্ত্রীকে বোঝানোর চেষ্টা শুরু করেছেন। মমতা বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়ে ঘনিষ্ঠ মহল দাবি করছে, তিস্তা চুক্তি স্বাক্ষরের সাফল্য মুখ্যমন্ত্রী একাই নিতে চান। বাংলাদেশে তার জনপ্রিয়তা অক্ষুণ্ন রাখতে শেষ পর্যন্ত তিনি তিস্তা চুক্তিতে সম্মতি দেবেন।

Daily Shamokal
Old September 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
no, i meant Balochistan. Balochis feel very neglected and disenfranchised by the powers that be in Islamabad...quite similar to how Bengalis in East Pakistan felt. Difference is that Balochis don't have the power or numbers that we Bengalis had and thus the status quo remains.
Balochistan's problem is that, they dont have a "Mujib" to lead them. In fact their situation is worse than what we had pre 71. Resource wise, they are much more deprived than we were. baluchistan is the provider of 90% Gas and 70% electricity, Coal, Minerals, etc etc for entire Pakistan.

Interesting that Punjab enjoys most of their gas & ellectricity from Baluchistan, but in crisis period stops supply of food stuff to all other provinces including Balochistan to meet their internal needs, thus forcing a price hike but Baloch cant stop their supplies, due to heavy presence of Military. They are virtually ruled by Punjab.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cricket Sage

And it would seem as though we are quickly becoming a de facto Indian state at long last...

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.co...ate=2012-02-12

Article doesn't mention any financial compensation or even if "super heavy" vehicles have caused any damage to our motorways and if they'll be paying for that. And we're still not getting our share of water, if I'm not mistaken.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Whatever you may have to say about our ministers and politicians we have to recognise and appreciate the brilliant diplomats and bureaucrats who are the real people working behind the scenes. I have full faith in them and believe they are looking out for the country. I heard recently that there are no less than six Harvard and Oxford graduates serving and advising the government and Mijarul Quayes is one of them. You have to be a true son of the soil to return from such a position and serve the country.

I believe the original draft proposed a roughly 70 - 30 share of water in favour of India. But just before the PM's arrival it became 50 - 50 and both parties agreed to it in principal. However the CM of WB was apparently unaware of the new development and threw a bitch fit. And as the deal cannot go through without the approval of the CMs of all five of the Indian states to be affected by it, it was postponed. Mamata can go to hell for all I care. We must not budge. And since the deal was agreed on a mutual basis; signatures being a mere formality; we have every right to be upset by the delay.
Any surrender of our water rights is wrong. we should be strong on face of india, not letting them push us around. we need developed military and alliance with china to counter dehli.