facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2012, 01:52 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird
BDFlag Lay down the Law- TheDailyStar

Quote:
Daily Star Sport (DSS): How big was the India win for you?

Stuart Law (SL): It's very important for us as a group after all the hard work we have put in for this tournament. We didn't have a great preparation time but it has been intense. To win against India, the current world champions, is a feather in our cap. However, we've still got a very important game in two days time and if we don't win that game [against Sri Lanka], the win the other night won't matter.

DSS: The changes you have made in the batting-order, is it part of your grander plan for the team?

SL: I'm only reacting to what I see. There are no changes for getting people who you like. It's picking your team and players that you see quality in, not only on the field but off it as well. That's a massive part of international cricket these days, it's about everything else the player brings to the table.

I feel the group we got now is very hard working. They're willing and want to get out there and be the best they could possibly be. Hopefully it's a benchmark for the rest of the cricketers in the country.

DSS: What is your assessment of the Bangladesh cricketer's mental make-up?

SL: I've seen immense talent, just a matter of harnessing, utilising and practicing in a more beneficial way. I believe you can go out and hit balls for four hours a day and you can improve as a cricketer.

You have to practice for a purpose. Talking is a big part of learning. These boys have access to the greatest players in the world in this tournament. If I was them, I'd be picking someone's brains: guys like Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene and Sachin Tendulkar. I've seen them from close quarters and they're more than willing to talk. That's the only issue I have with the Bangladesh cricket team: we don't play enough international cricket.

DSS: Is Stuart Law a strict coach?

SL: I like to say I'm hard but fair. I don't demand perfection because that's a bridge too far for anyone. I like to see things done with a purpose, understand time is precious. Don't waste it.

DSS: Are you happy with this batting group?

SL: They've all got the batting talent, it's the mentality and situations we get in is very excitable. Not just the players but the whole nation, something happens, we are on the brink of victory, we all get very excited. The blood-rush happens and we lose two wickets in three overs.

You can't control to an extent, I wish I could. If you kept calm and a level head in the dressing-room. You don't want to get too far ahead of yourself. That's part of the problem, the batting talent is there. In the first game, we didn't quite get there. In the second game, we got home that was great.

DSS: It was the first time that five players scored more than 40 runs in an ODI. Would you take it as a compliment?

SL: I'm only there to help. The players have to go out and do it themselves. That's a justification that they're starting to listen. It got us over the line but if one of them got a 100 and another got 80, it was an easy job. You can take all the satisfaction out of it, but a coach can't take all the credit. I'm big enough and played a lot of cricket to realise this.

DSS: Do you share playing experience with the guys?

SL: I share whatever the players want to talk about. I'm always open to conversation, especially to the younger guys. The older players feel they've played a lot of cricket. They don't really need to talk too much, but you still learn everyday in cricket. If you think you've got it, it will come back and bite you in the back. It's got that wonderful knack of doing that.

DSS: Was the atmosphere the other night different from what you've had in your time?

SL: (smiles) It is a good atmosphere when Bangladesh wins.

Last year I was there with Sri Lanka and we got beaten, so to be part of the team that beats the world champions, reverse the dose the other night and have our fans go berserk and seeing the people line the roads. We didn't get home till midnight. It was something that I wanted to take in.

DSS: Have you shared it with your family?

SL: I've had text messages from friends and family. It's nice to know they're thinking I'm not out here wasting my time!

DSS: What are your plans for the game after the one against India, when the Tigers usually fall apart after a big win?

SL: It's very difficult. I know everyone gets involved: sweets were sent by the Prime Minister, a cake sent by the President. That's all very nice and I thank them for their support and passion for the cricket team. I wish it happened at the end of the tournament.

As I said earlier in this interview, we played very well to win a game. If we don't win the next one, the other night means nothing. We've got the chance to make the Asia Cup final for the first time. That'll be one giant step for Bangladesh cricket. I'm just trying to tell the boys, 'Yesterday was fantastic but it means nothing; we've got to win the game against Sri Lanka and get to the final'. After the Asia Cup, we can celebrate and look back at fond memories.
Source

You can take all the satisfaction out of it, but a coach can't take all the credit. I'm big enough and played a lot of cricket to realise this.

Hats of Stuart for this comment

Last edited by kalpurush; March 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Changed font color

Old March 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
if we don't win that game [against Sri Lanka], the win the other night won't matter.
thats the attitude
Old March 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cricket Legend

One win, and he is a hero. Oohs and ahhs from all.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Cricket Savant

LOL SL can be misread as Sri Lanka

Edit: Also nadim, you missed the paragraph in the beginning:
Quote:
When the Bangladesh dressing-room was going bonkers on Friday, one man sat quietly in the dugout outside. Tigers coach Stuart Law is in his ninth month in charge and has finally seen his charges slay the world champions. In his first interview to The Daily Star Sport, he spoke to Mohammad Isam about his time in Bangladesh so far:
Old March 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Well SL was coaching/coached by SL
SL<>SL
So SL should know a little about SL and vice versa
and use that knowledge for BD in BDvSL
But then again SL may take advantage of SL's knowledge of SL
Old March 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
I know everyone gets involved: sweets were sent by the Prime Minister, a cake sent by the President. That's all very nice and I thank them for their support and passion for the cricket team. I wish it happened at the end of the tournament.
Excellent point by Law.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:19 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Last para, ans to last question. /end

And really? Minister? President? After one damn win? This lady needs to just go mind her business some place else. DB.
Old March 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Last para, ans to last question. /end

And really? Minister? President? After one damn win? This lady needs to just go mind her business some place else. DB.
yes, last para from DS a day ago
Old March 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Good reaction from Law....

Anyway Hasina needs to know, it's not a new milestone achieved.... We have beaten a world champ before also...
Old March 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes, but why single out Hasina...All the politicians seemed to want to jump onto the band wagon!
Old March 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Cricket Sage

He is setting the tone right. We must win against SL. Losing is not an option for us.
Old March 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Well SL was coaching/coached by SL
SL<>SL
So SL should know a little about SL and vice versa
and use that knowledge for BD in BDvSL
But then again SL may take advantage of SL's knowledge of SL
Right on, SL will teach BD how to put it up the SL of SL.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Still don't know about his coaching credentials but his experience as an international player for Australia definitely shone through with the above comments. He realizes that the Bangladesh cricket team is starved of success but the first step towards becoming a consistent side is having a winning attitude and not being satisfied with one-two victories. Hopefully, whatever else he does, he can inculcate that idea into our player's heads.
Old March 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

He has the right attitude, we need to win against Sri lanka and lift the cup.
Old March 19, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Liked Laws reaction .Players should not get carried away by the India win . Our biggest match is against Srilanka . If we can beat them then India will be kicked out of the Asia cup . That will be a slap on the face to the Bangladesh haters . We can do it and will do it inshaallah
Old March 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

win against SL first then celebrate later
Old March 19, 2012, 03:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

nice interview.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Nice interview Isam bhai
As for Law, he's 100% correct! The days of being carried away after one win are gone. There's no option for us now other than winng against Lanka. Otherwise all those hard work will be of little use.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I wish stupid politicians will stop doing this. ( sending cake, money in the middle of a tournament. ) all stunt baji.

Btw why r the hasina sisters watching the game alone. They need to have an expert with them to make them understand the game. The two probably were switching between the game and ztv all day
Old March 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

"If we dont win against SL the win the other night deosnt matter"

Nice one. Its good to see that we dont care about just 1 match, we are looking for dominance in the whole tournament
Old March 19, 2012, 07:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
SL: I share whatever the players want to talk about. I'm always open to conversation, especially to the younger guys. The older players feel they've played a lot of cricket. They don't really need to talk too much, but you still learn everyday in cricket. If you think you've got it, it will come back and bite you in the back. It's got that wonderful knack of doing that.
That's the part we should be worrying about... Hope the older players will realize that you never stop learning. The day you stop learning your growth stops and you fall behind... Because others go ahead of you. Similar comment was made by Bevan during BPL ... I think there is some real problem on that front and hope it will be sorted out with some more time, as they get more accustomed to law and his ability.

Happy that the politicians only sent sweets, didn't declare a plot, flat and cash money for the victory... can't blame them... Normally they don't know what to expect from the team next... Might be another 58 or new low, then they would miss the opportunity to send even sweet....
Old March 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Coach Law spoke like a true professional. Beating a team like India is huge but the tournament isn't over yet and we got a tough team coming up. So we have to be focused.
Old March 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

id like to see the PLAYERS back up the coach's word with a win tomorrw
Old March 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Can't judge his coaching skills etc - but his interview and attitude is bang on.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Happy that the politicians only sent sweets, didn't declare a plot, flat and cash money for the victory... can't blame them... Normally they don't know what to expect from the team next... Might be another 58 or new low, then they would miss the opportunity to send even sweet....
LOL..An abortive endeavor to get some cheap media hype from our politicians.