facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 30, 2006, 11:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Will our players fast during Champions Trophy?

Ramadan is approaching and Bangladesh will have to play three matches(Insha'Allah more as well) in the midst of this holy month. So my question is: Will our players be fasting during their scheduled fixtures against SL, WI and ZIM?

Old August 30, 2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

players don't fast if they play during Ramadan.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

They didn't fast before and I don't think they will start now.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

If basketball players (Hakim, Abdur Rauf) can play a game at noon and still fast then certainly a Cricket player can fast too if he wishes. But the question is, are our players as fit as the NBA greats?
Old August 30, 2006, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't know about the religious convictions of our players. But, (according to my little knowledge about Islam) as travelers, they are not required to fast during the champions trophy.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:43 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
If basketball players (Hakim, Abdur Rauf) can play a game at noon and still fast then certainly a Cricket player can fast too if he wishes. But the question is, are our players as fit as the NBA greats?
Have you considered the difference of time, setting (i.e. ground) and physical effort involved in both sports?
Old August 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

basketball is more demanding, i would suppose.

anyways, comparing the fitness of NBA players to that of our lunch-time-e-biryani-khawa players is like comparing apples and oranges
Old August 30, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Have you considered the difference of time, setting (i.e. ground) and physical effort involved in both sports?
Difference of time: As back as I can remember they fasted in the month of March to May. 15/20 years back. That would be similar to september in India.
Setting and physical effort: I would rank basketball 100% more physically demanding than Cricket. With the breaks crickets get, there is no comparison. It's like who is more fitter a sprinter or marathon runner.

The only disadvantage the cricket players will have is the heat (sun).

But as TheWatcher have mentioned that they will be traveling so they can make up the fasting in some other time.
Old August 30, 2006, 12:18 PM

ODI cricket is eight hours long, therefore, it requires more efforts than basketball for sure.

Last edited by kalpurush; August 31, 2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old August 30, 2006, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

What if they don't travel? In case a game is being played in Bangladesh, I still don't think they will fast.
Old August 30, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cricket Legend

According to my little knowledge, when someone is 50 miles away from his home city and he is intending to stay at the new place for less than 15 days, he is considered a traveller. So, as long a match is not played on the player's home city and he is not staying at that venue for continuous 15 days, he is not required to fast.

But yeah, no one can say for sure whether any of our cricketers will fast if he is required to do so during a match.

Last edited by TheWatcher; August 30, 2006 at 12:40 PM..
Old August 30, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cricket Savant

sadi,
I guess it depends on religious conviction and practice. The players have the right to fast but probably will not fast when it is a home game. The coach and the management has no say on it.
Old August 30, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

The players will not fast as they did not in the past...

But one of my neighbourhood 'hujur' (in Dhaka) termed this as 'Shirq' as technically they'll avoid compulsory fasting and devote to sth apart from the sake of ALLAH.

I didnt try explaining the hujur anything like, they are playing for our country or they are playing the game as a part of their job that feeds them, cause I was confused myself. Its really hard to take a side in these sort of cases and even my conscious fails me for an answer.
________
Oregon dispensary

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM..
Old August 30, 2006, 01:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by israr
So my question is: Will our players be fasting during their scheduled fixtures against SL, WI and ZIM?
The question to ask before that one is "Do all our players fast during ramadan in regular times..i.e. when there are no matches?"

Firstly... I don't think that all of them are in the habit of fasting all through the month of Ramadan.

Secondly.. even if part of the team has the practice of fasting throughout this month, they will probably choose to spare it during match-days.

Thirdly... if any of them strictly follow the Ramadan practices, he/they will probably fast on match days too. Well.. let him/them maintain their level of faith. No probs.
Old August 30, 2006, 07:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

I dont know for sure but i think the year pakistan won the world cup (1992 i think? In Australia), the duration of the tournament covered most of Ramadan. i clearly recall my dad mentioning that "the players look dry mouthed and hungry, they must be fasting, Allah help them win". even though i was 11 at that time, i do remember seeing Imran Khan looking dehydrated.
Old August 30, 2006, 07:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
The players will not fast as they did not in the past...

But one of my neighbourhood 'hujur' (in Dhaka) termed this as 'Shirq' as technically they'll avoid compulsory fasting and devote to sth apart from the sake of ALLAH.

I didnt try explaining the hujur anything like, they are playing for our country or they are playing the game as a part of their job that feeds them, cause I was confused myself. Its really hard to take a side in these sort of cases and even my conscious fails me for an answer.
I was told the same and at that age I was just as cynical of this view as you were. I still find it hard to believe how something like that could be considered Shirq. Admittedly my knowledge of religious matters is very limited, but after reading a little about the different kinds of shirq, I find the Mullah's claim more and more untenable. May be some of our knowledgable users could shed some light on this.
Old August 30, 2006, 09:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte Blanche
I was told the same and at that age I was just as cynical of this view as you were. I still find it hard to believe how something like that could be considered Shirq. Admittedly my knowledge of religious matters is very limited, but after reading a little about the different kinds of shirq, I find the Mullah's claim more and more untenable. May be some of our knowledgable users could shed some light on this.
well...if its a job, and they would be starving without the job, i suppose it is okay to skip fasting. but the days must be made up. and i doubt fasting could be forsaken the days they don't play. i've fasted and played stuff before as have my friends. i don't think it makes you any weaker than you already are.

and of course as tigers eye mentioned, hakeem olajuwon and shareef abdur-rahim actually achieved statistical boosts during ramadan. tho its one thing to play in a dome at 68 degrees F, and under the sun at 30 deg C.

whilst traveling, fasting can be made up later. but during home games, i suppose fasting could be postponed.

but i don't know to give a fatwa.

this is just my personal opinion.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 30, 2006, 10:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Polau Biriani Kheyeeooo kheltee parena....
Khali Pete to aroo parbe na.... chinta korbe kokhon Khela sheshe.. Halim ar Piazu Khabe.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

No idea about Bangladeshi player's but there is no doubt that Yousuf youhana....ooops...Md.Yousuf... will do fasting whether he is playing or not playing
Old August 30, 2006, 11:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Same goes for Saeed Anwar....As far as I know I think he was fasting in the Final match between Pak Vs Ind in the independence cup held in dhaka 1998. He score some 100+ runs in that match and he didnt come to field in the 2nd inns.
Old August 31, 2006, 06:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
According to my little knowledge, when someone is 50 miles away from his home city and he is intending to stay at the new place for less than 15 days, he is considered a traveller. So, as long a match is not played on the player's home city and he is not staying at that venue for continuous 15 days, he is not required to fast.

But yeah, no one can say for sure whether any of our cricketers will fast if he is required to do so during a match.
yes, as far as my little knowledge goes, that is correct. but if u go in a different city/place and have a house in that city, u r considered a local. by that standard, even those who dont live in Dhaka but got a house of thier own or renting, they would be considered local.

and if they r travelling to india, surely they r Musafir. they can skip that day of fasting but hv to make it up only 1 day for each day of non-fasting when available.

Also im not quite sure what's the fatwa on this. if you hv a job that is physically high demanding, can u or can u not skip the fasting?? may be our more knowledgable brothers/sisters can enlighten us.

and pls dont compare basketball with cricket. its like comparing apples with orange. both r sports for sure but demands different needs. basketball is only 80 mins ( im not sure) game under a closed roof air conditioned game while cricket is an open field under the sun 8 hr game.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 31, 2006, 07:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
if you hv a job that is physically high demanding, can u or can u not skip the fasting??
Islam QA has an answer to a similar question. Whether you take it or not is upto you.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Did we ever question whether players say their daily prayers when they are playing?

Saying prayers, fasting, providing Jakats, etc. are very personal religious affairs and it is a person's own choice. Please do not make it the subject of a discussion thread.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:15 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default ans

they do not fast when they are playing. That would be murder. Even standing in the sun takes alot out of one person. They tend to make it up at another stage when there is no cricket on.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

it will be impossible for them to play while they are fasting