facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Support

Support Help & Support

Old March 22, 2005, 07:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Quality of Thread Topics

As a recent member of the Bangladesh Cricket Forum, I was wondering how the overall quality (significance, relevancy, interesting, practical etc) of the Thread Topics were in the past, say more than a year ago. How would the members of the forum evaluate the quality of the present (say last 1 year) Thread Topics compared to the quality of those beyond that period ? Would you say the quality has improved, deteriorated or is the same ? (It might be interesting to have separate opinions from the ‘general’ members and the Moderators, Super Moderators, Administrators and those others involved with ‘Bangla Cricket’ (e.g. Bangla Cricket Staff). So I take the liberty of restricting this poll to the opinion of the ‘General Members’ only.

Old March 22, 2005, 08:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

It seems to me that the # of frivolous polls has gone up drastically. Other than that, it's a democracy - there are some good posts and some lame ones.
Old March 22, 2005, 08:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quality has declined, thats for sure, even if the extent of the decline is in debate! The problem is, too many people get in on debates and write what they feel without providing any logic or reason for it. That to me seems to be the worst part of it. As for the jokers who like to put up stupid polls or start stupid threads that are then answered by another 20 one-liners, those don't bother me much because I can usually tell from the topic that it is a thread I should steer clear off.

When I post, and there are a lot of others like me, I try to provide a basis for my argument so that even if people disagree, they can see where I am coming from. It makes it easier for others to reply then as well because they can point out the flaws in my reasoning or logic rather than to just disagree with the outcome. But for people who just write something without providing any basis for it, its really hard to reply to those and its hard to take them seriously when you don't know how they have reached their conclusions.
Old March 22, 2005, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

the quality of posts have definitely declined. i'd vote on this poll, however, the choices are too close in meaning to each other to be able to come to a decision. i don't mind one liners as long as they are not of the sort that require logic to back them up. i mean come on, we all come here for our love for the country and it's cricket, and eventually develop a kind of bond with each other - you can't expect someone to post paragraphs all the time - it's not a literature forum. however, i generally feel that explanation is required when you are expressing your views that may not be so well put in one/two liners.

i remember the older days when the quality of topics/posts were better, and sometimes find myself venting my frustration (for example the two polls that i opened in response to pagol-chagol's poll about another poll) through mockery (maybe uncalled for at times), and sometimes post even though i am bored, only because i enjoy getting involved in this forum.

honestly, i'd love more objective pieces of discussion and topics to throw my cents into.

ps: wouldn't deny that i don't like having some fun and fooling around at times - i mean we're not here to practice "jonabism": u know those btv talk shows where they announce the names of the people ("Jonab blah blah blah"...) and the guy nods his head as if humour/light heartedness is his biggest enemy...

Edited on, March 23, 2005, 1:52 AM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old March 22, 2005, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

as an addendum, i'd like to say that the number of serious replies (more than expected) that i received on my poll regarding choosing the better all rounder between ash and mash is saddenning...i was expecting people to ignore it completely...good thing my wicket keeping poll has been thrown to the second page without more than a single reply.
Old March 22, 2005, 09:02 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

quality of threads went down, but mostly did quality of poles.

but there is not much to worry about. i member someone opening a thread about slow day-when cricinfo having 3 artilcle o sharne warne moving to england.

well, we are kind of same situation here. nothing much is happening. when there is not much to talk about and we still talk, the quality of the threads has to go down. but i guess that much better than silence. actually i'm sure thats better than silence. as soon as england tour starts and we've some real things to talk about, things will go back on track.

no worries.
Old March 22, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Asif, I didn't mean that every post must be paragraphs long. Of course, if someone just writes something like 'I am really happy that Ashraful played well today' that does not require any explanation. I was referring to people who partake in debates but don't provide any basis for their arguments. If I didn't make that clear in my earlier post, I am doing so now!
Old March 22, 2005, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Sham,

Akash theke porlam (what would be a good translation?) I wasn't referring to your post by any means. I was merely expressing my personal views on what this forum should be like. If I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, I am doing so now!
Old March 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

In that case, I am sorry that I was presumptuous enough to think that you were replying to my post!
Old March 23, 2005, 12:45 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Here's my one-liner ...
Old March 23, 2005, 09:13 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Quality has deteriorated slightly
Old March 23, 2005, 11:12 AM
Retired BC Admin

I don't think the quality has detoriated. If you read two / three years earlier posts, you will clearly see the difference. We cover lots of topics from pacer hunt to SLAs to u19 teams now a days. Members ask deeper questions and participate in in-depth analysis more often. Rana, n-tier, stat analysis from tintin, Imtiaz and others, captaincy debate between chacha, masud and rajin, batting and bowling deficiency analysis, strategic moves on pitch and spin, dissecting the opponents to name a few of such topics that were somewhat absent in the early days. Even the Rafiq-Pundit shoot out appears class act many a times.

If the early days were like slog overs with lots of boundaries then the present is more like rotating strikes for singles and doubles.

But we still do have many poor posts and polls. In fact, the polls are really devoid of much thinking and lack directions, as if missing heart and soul. Polls remind me of 'poor shot selection' while poor posts the 'lack of footworks'.

At times, however, the discussions appear low because of 'dilution' factor from too many posts from too many topics from too many members.

Nobody can force anyone to make intelligent posts all the time but there are plenty of room for improvement. We can always try harder to add a little more substance in an effort to promote quality. Instead of just typing 'I like Ashraful', one can post 'I like Ashraful for his elegent cover drives'. Just give it a try. Trust me, it's not that difficult.
Old March 23, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default nice :D

I like chinaman for his elegant posts.
Old March 23, 2005, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't agree that in the early days, the topics discussed were any less important or varied. We spoke about everything there was to talk about. If there was a pacer hunt or talk of n-tier, we would definitely have argued about it. Don't forget, three years ago, Morx (Durjoy) was what is present day Rana with a lot of arguments for and against his inclusion in the team. Go back about three years and read the stuff that was written about a First Class Structure in BD. I am happy to say, the current divisional structure with home and away matches is exactly what we had prescribed in those days, when we used to get a different structures every year, one year with the best premier league team participating, another year with a new team called Dhaka Metro participating etc.

The point is, there were excellent threads with a lot of very good analysis before, and there are excellent threads with a lot of very good analysis now. The problem now is that those threads get hidden amongst a whole bunch of pretty crappy threads that aren't worth posting in. There has been a general dumbing down effect with such a large increase in members, which is inevitable. To say that the overall quality has not deteriorated is wishful thinking.
Old March 23, 2005, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

i have to agree with you here...it's not that the number of quality posts have gone down; it's just that the number of crappy ones have gone up, thus leading to a smaller percentage of good topics, and a fall in overall quality.

however, as agent pointed out, this is probably natural with no games going on...once the england tour gets on its way, we may have more stuff to talk about.

Edited on, March 23, 2005, 6:18 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old March 23, 2005, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Quality has detoriated over the last couple of months, but only sightly and because there's no international cricket schedules for BD.
Old March 23, 2005, 08:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

too many non-sense polls.
Old March 23, 2005, 10:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
quality of threads went down, but mostly did quality of poles.

but there is not much to worry about. i member someone opening a thread about slow day-when cricinfo having 3 artilcle o sharne warne moving to england.

well, we are kind of same situation here. nothing much is happening. when there is not much to talk about and we still talk, the quality of the threads has to go down. but i guess that much better than silence. actually i'm sure thats better than silence. as soon as england tour starts and we've some real things to talk about, things will go back on track.

no worries.
Ahhh.... reminds me of my post on Percy Sonn that i posted a day or two ago. Very slow day between second and third india-pakistan test.
Old March 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Moved to support forum as it is not directly related to Bangladesh cricket.
Old March 24, 2005, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

new poll: is this thread a quality topic?
Old March 29, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Two suggestions for future release:

1) Can we (the member) rate a thread?
2) Can we restrict a member i.e. how many new thread or polls he/she can create per-day/per-week? We can add a weight system to further restrict new members and give more leverage to some other members.

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 10:31 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old March 29, 2005, 10:09 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Two suggestions for future release:

1) Can we (the member) rate a thread?
2) Can we restrict a member i.e. how many new thread or polls he/she can create per-day/per-week? We can add a weight system to further restrict new members and give more leverage to some other members.
1. Replies and view counts some how indirectly but at times incorrectly do that. Anyway, our think tank will reflect on this.

2. Personally I don't think we come down to that level. Moderators try hard to clean up certain types of bad posts. Interestingly, at the beginning, a member may not post top rated messages, but it is my experience that many members do developed into very good and decent posters. The reverse is also true in some cases.

Good suggestions. Thanks.
Old March 31, 2005, 12:09 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

cm vai, have you think of putting some extra lines into the "board rules" under a different section something like "keep in mind when you post":

1. avoid spaming through u2u or message board.
2. read this before posting on behalf of an website or organization.
3. Put some thought into your topic before opening a poll or a thread.
4. be descriptive in your title (ie. put the word "request" if you are asking for a link or something).
5. u2u your topic to a mod if you want it to be editored before posting.(i'm sure you'll find some mod/vateran member who will be willing to do it).

this is just some ideas. what u think?

Edited on, March 31, 2005, 5:10 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.
Old March 31, 2005, 01:05 PM
Retired BC Admin

Excellent suggestions. I have something similar in mind too. However, we also feel that we should not burden our members too much with rules and regulations.

We have been growing fast, so there might very well be times in the future to revisit the existing guidelines.

Please keep the suggestions coming and let your voices be heard. We'll pick 'em up when the time comes. Thank you very much.
Old October 2, 2005, 12:55 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

I just had to dig this thread up.

I do think that the syndrome has returned. Well, let alone the quality of thread topics, but the quality of constructive posts have certainly taken a heavy downfall recently. Even the "quality members" are posting messages that are utterly disappointing! I am sure the SL tour has a lot to do with it, but come on... even nonsense has its limits!