facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Websites hear Shaheen\'s plea-BC acknowledged!

DS

Banglacricket has been acknowledged for the tremendous gesture shown by all members. Congratulations to all !

Websites hear Shaheen's plea
Sports Reporter

While the country's cricket authorities preferred to remain silent, members of fan sites dedicated to the Bangladesh team and other independent contributors have come forward to help ailing cricket scorer Mahbub Ul-Haque Shaheen.

Shaheen, a grade two scorer, is surviving with one functioning kidney and is in need of immediate transplant. He has been told by doctors in India to undergo the transplantation without delay. But the cost of the treatment, estimated at over five lakh taka is impossible to bear for the 30-year-old.

Daily Star Sport carried a news item on Shaheen's plight on April 21 titled 'Cricket scorer fighting for life' following which banglacricket.com, a popular and thriving website with members scattered across the globe, launched a fundraising campaign and until its May 5 deadline, collected generous donations amounting to some 1,800 dollars. Encouraged by the response, banglacricket have decided to keep the fund raising campaign open for another seven days.

Shaheen has also received cash donation from another fast growing website ******.com while bdjobs.com, an online job search site have also reportedly contributed.

Surprisingly, the Bangladesh Cricket Board has not come forward with a similar noble gesture despite pleas on behalf of Shaheen from different bodies.

Edited on, May 5, 2005, 6:27 PM GMT, by oracle.

Old May 5, 2005, 01:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

let us hope more people from the diaspora will now visit us and help Shaheen is his moment of need. Thank you Daily Star. Thank you Rabeed Imam.

Old May 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

eventhough my contribution was really nominal, it feels good to see that other people have been kind enough and came forward to help this Shaheen guy.

But it seems really bothersome to see that BCB is remaining silent about it.

Great Job "Banglacricket.com", happy to be part of it.
Old May 5, 2005, 07:21 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

it would be much better if there was a small instruction about if wanted how to donate using banglacricket.
Old May 6, 2005, 12:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
it would be much better if there was a small instruction about if wanted how to donate using banglacricket.
Yes I also agree. Sorry to be so blatant but very poorly written. Doesn't really get the message across. BC is NOT extending the deadline because we are "encouraged by the response". No doubt it was a great response by few but dude get to the point... We NEED 4x the amount raised so far.....

-----------------------------------------------
If possible - the BC main page can have Money needed, collected so far + Deadline underneath the donation box if possible!

If Bangladeshlive's feed was controlled by BC - BC could have actually attempted something but too bad!

Edited on, May 6, 2005, 7:21 AM GMT, by Orpheus.
Old May 6, 2005, 01:57 AM
Street Cricketer

Can't quite agree with you Orpheus. It's not banglacricket's job only to raise the money. I think the message is 'wake up BCB' .
Old May 6, 2005, 02:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by first_division_player
Can't quite agree with you Orpheus. It's not banglacricket's job only to raise the money. I think the message is 'wake up BCB' .
Yes I am well aware of that message. But there is a hope among us that such news would be a publicity for the drive. Read Rajputro's post on the dailystar news in the Donation thread.

I am sorry but this was no "feature". Very poorly written.

Banck in 2000 I remember, Some little kid w/ ? makes it to the national news because he needed money to keep the tube on for breathing. get donations from PM! All because of Media.

And this little paragraph in the sports section that lacks even a strongly worded sentence supposed to get noticed. Give me a break!!

He sounds so positive!! I think WAKE up BCB message should be much much much stronger than that. Just make the playesr go on strike before this England tour!! <-- now that's too much!!

Anyways Whataever!!! I stand by my comment!
Old May 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I apologize for not being able to contribute to the donation (including all the other donations that are given to banglacricket) for lack of internet payment system in Bangladesh, but it was fun to actually read the name of 'b-a-n-g-l-a-c-r-i-c-k-e-t' on a reputed English daily such as the Daily Star. As far as I can remember, this is the first time that the actual name (& address) of our website has been published on any regular Bangladeshi newspaper.