facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 11, 2002, 02:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Mohsin Kamal

I think its time we gave Mohsin Kamal his due credit for doing a great job so far. Seriously, I think he has injected some sort of a fighting spirit in our boys and he definitely deserves some credit for the way Bangladesh performed in SA. Considering SL lost by an innings and they have played way way more tests than us, I must say we did an awesome job of our first tour. Plus Mohsin Kamal's personal pick Alok Kapali turned out to be a real gem...hope he finds a few more like him. I seriously think under him our team is on the way up but of course a lot needs to be done. But to think of the state the team was in when he took over I must say he has done a decent job.
With our pool of players we shouldn't expect miracles overnight, or even regular decent test class performances... so right now I think we have a lot to cheer for... Hopefully this trend will continue when West Indies are in town and we give them a serious run for their money. I am really looking forward to that series. This Challenge Trophy is the smartest thing BCB has done in a while. I can't think of a time when Bangladesh did more serious groundwork before a test series.
So once again, three cheers for Mohsin Kamal and I hope he keeps it up!

[Edited on 11-11-2002 by pompous]

Old November 11, 2002, 02:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Just a mere comparison to our previous First Class tour of South Africa proves how well we have done this time and how far we have come in this short period. Sure there is a long way to go but pompous is right, we are on the right track. Also, I agree completely that this Challenge Trophy is a brilliant idea. Far far better than a 20 day training camp at that BKSP nets. Time out in the middle under match conditions is better preparation than thrice as many hours in the nets. I am glad that they decided to have this competition rather than the training camps of old that really achieved little.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Let's not forget that this competition has also done a world of good to the Development Squad. I for one have been impressed by kids like Jhoru, Moni Jr et al.Have any of you guys seen Shafaq-al-Zubair?Real gem, this kid.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:23 AM
Cricket Legend

I have been hearing good things about Shafaq Al-Zubair. Fill us in on this kid.

ps. Remember when Andy Roberts did his stint as bowling coach for a couple of weeks, the two names he mentioned to look out for were Masri and Talha? These two seem to be our best pace bowling hopes so he was dead on target!
Old November 11, 2002, 04:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Shafaq is a gangly left-armer, 6-3 and this guy looks class all the way. He played under in the Under 19 WC in South Africa with Talha but both got injured after the first match. He got selected again with the A team for kenya but didn't play a single match, god knows why.

What impressed me most about this kid is his attitude. Immediately after Day 2 yesterday against BD, he went to Glouster for a rub and went right back to the nets to do some more bowling.In fact, most of the kids from the Development squad were either in the nets after the match or talking to Mohsin.And to think that this not even the "true" Development squad since most of them are touring India.The future augurs well for us.

As for his bowling, Shafaq is fast, in the same mould as Kowshik.His only chink in the armour seems to be any lack of lateral movement with the ball, but that might merely be the dead Abahani pitch.We are going to see more of this kid in the future, I can tell you that for sure.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

I didn't know he was left-handed. Thats cool. Looks like we will have a quicker replacement for Monju in a couple of years time. Also, 6-3 is good height. We need some tall bowlers. Masri is decent height. Talha and Taposh are not that tall. Sharif is 5'6 which is very short for an international fast bowler. I hope this guy stays fit and develops as a bowler. As for lateral movement or the lack thereof, I think its the pitch as well.