facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old March 8, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its been a while here.

Went to the Pens-Leafs last night. Mario statue looks great outside.

Had the misfortune of sitting behind a group of really really unruly Leafs fans. Man, now I know where Sohel gets his hatred from. Those guys were just straight up drunk punks who drove down from ONT ( not too far from Pitt). Man, they were cursing at us, our team, our whole city. Finally the ushers had enough. Why drive down and spend all this money to go to a game only to get wasted and get kicked out by second period? And, where the arrogance come from? When was the last time Leafs won the cup? Second World war? jeez..

I am sure there are a lot of nice Leafs fans, but there seems to be a trend here. Oh, Leafs lost to our AHL goalie last night. We gave Fleury a breather and back up Johnson wasn't feeling well. So, there ! I do like this Leafs team. I think they have a lot of good young talent, but talent alone is not enough as they are slipping on the last spot for playoffs..

Old March 9, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Caught the ceremony on Internet TV and was moved. Mario changed the game in more ways than one and it's a shame that injuries prevented him from doing more.

That encounter with Leafs fans sounds familiar. I remember going to my first Red Wings game at the Olympia in 1980 and seeing a huge number of those drunken losers heckling us and the USA in our own building. Miracle on Ice happened just 8 months ago and they hadn't won the Cup since '67 but that didn't stop them. Sure we sucked back then but seeing those guys driving down just to dis us was something of an impression they deeply etched into a 13 year old Bangladeshi. Of course the Leafs weren't even playing in Detroit that day!

I hope we get healthy and the guys get their timing right before the playoffs. Pasha (Datsyuk) is set to return this week but no real word on Nick (5), Howard (35) and Eric (52). That being said, it's good to see guys stepping up in their absence and preventing a really bad slide like (predictably) Loseronto. Great to see Val (51), Junior (55) and Helmer (43) reach new heights this year, and White (18) now with Quincey (27) and Smith (2) adding depth to our formidable blue line. I hope to GOD Stew (23) gets way less ice time in the playoffs as the result. Hank (40) and the Mule (93) are in good form, Joey's (31) doing great between the pipes and once again I love our chances this year, now that Setoguchi is no longer with the Sharks. That dude had our number in the playoffs.

Alongside Smith, I'm pretty high on young centerman Gustav Nyquist (14). Skilled and tough with early signs of solid 2-way sensibilities, I'd love to see him mature into another Stevie (19)-Sergei (91)-Pasha (13) type in 5-6 years.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 10, 2012 at 01:11 AM..
Old March 10, 2012, 01:28 AM
Cricket Savant

BTW, I never expected Stamkos to become the goal-machine he has become. Not at all easy on the eyes because of his choppy, lugubrious skating and awkwardly unsmooth dekes, he has the one of the most accurate shots from a pair of the quickest hands I've ever seen. I think he'll score 60+ almost every season. Sid has company when it comes to goalscoring.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 12, 2012 at 02:30 AM..
Old March 10, 2012, 02:53 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I don't really follow NHL until the very end of the season. But I'm tired of doing cricket designs. So you NHL nerds just let me know aight?
Old March 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Pretty impressive comeback by the Pens - been a hard fought season but now sitting at #5 overall with an almost sure shot at the playoffs.

Some stiff competition for the Presidents' Trophy at the top too.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram, Shakib

FAIL 4 NAIL.

More like Grigorenko.

Too bad they canned tank commander before the end of the season.
Old March 12, 2012, 12:02 AM
Cricket Savant

The Pens are on a great run and with Sid set to return soon, they have a good chance to go deep into the playoffs and contend for the Cup. Malkin has always been one of my favorite players and I hope he wins the Hart this year. He deserves it.

Statistically, the Red Wings assess our context differently. We look for 3 or 4 two-way forwards scoring 20+ goals and 30+ assists, solid offensive contribution from the blueline, solid goaltending, and lots of guys at the top of the +/- category. We look for overlooked players in the low rounds who can fit into this particular scheme of things, and polish them into two-way gems like Nick, Pasha and Hank.

Last edited by Sohel; March 12, 2012 at 01:34 AM..
Old March 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Sorry about the rant the other night Leafs fans ! I had beer drenched all over me when the scuffle broke out in front as they were getting kicked out. I should send the dry cleaning bill to Toronto Maple Leafs

Sohel bro, the more I watch and think about the Red Wings, the more impressed I become. Year after year they have to draft late, because they are always in top four, and yet they manage to develop guys that fit their style and system, who become stars. If I may, I can draw a parallel to another team that is close to my heart- The Pittsburgh Steelers. We also draft late every round in late twenties or thirties, but never misfire. Always get the right guy for the SYSTEM. And, its been like that for decades, just like the Wings. Pens had the good fortune of really stinking for four-five years after bankruptcy, but the return has been great in first rounders for four straight years ( all high picks )- Fleury-Malkin-Crosby-Staal. No complains !!Blackhawks are another team that had to go the Pens way and doing great.

Huge win yesterday vs Bruins. Nine in a row. Malkin is for Hart. He has carried this team on his broad shoulders. This is a different Malkin. After the injury shortened season last year, he went back to Russia and worked his tail off. Now, he is great in face-off ( once a weakness ), great along the wall and impossible to move and back checks like a demon. He doesn't do the blind back passes any more. He plays Bylsma system to a T now. His talents were never in doubt, but now he is a better all round player. Staal is becoming a great player. He too missed a lot of time this year. Now, the big question mark is Sidney. The fear is always in the back of mind. I am happy he is coming back, but I do realize he is one hit away from prolonged absence. Such a shame. He was on his way to greatness until some dipshit named Steckel decided to drive his forearm on the back of his neck. I am worried and have no expectations. Pens are a contender, but, in playoffs it takes more to become a winner. Luck, hot goalie, key injury can derail everything.

Very impressed with Rangers this year. Philly is a superb team. Devils are back and no one wants them with Broduer in net. Bruins are fast and strong. So, many contenders. I don't think Ottawa can this year, though they have been a great story.

In West, watch out for Blues. They are a hard team. Red Wings are of course the no.1 contender, followed by Blues. Preds are good until two rounds. Sharks are pathetic and will miss playoffs. Canucks are good, but in Luongo, no one trusts. Blackhawks are dark horse, though they have goalie issues. Its gonna be Red Wings vs Rangers/Pens/Devils/Flyers. I just don't see any team in the West as well rounded as Wings. All seven teams on West have major holes.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Stamkos is a sniper. Exceptional slap shot and almost unstoppable when St.Loius feeds him just outside the right circle. In that interview with Mario on NHL Network, he mentioned Stamkos as one ticketed for greatness in future. I think Mario likes those right handers ! He also pointed out Datsuyk as a magician and said he wishes he had his ( pavel's ) hands. The interviewer asked him about some modern day players not named Crosby and he mentioned three- Stamkos- Malkin-Pavel
Old March 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

They should make Malkin a Canadian citizen.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Dude..Canada has enough Center's. Don't ya think?

Crosby, B.Richards, M.Richards, Getzslaf, Stamkos, Towes, P. Bergeron, Staal brothers, Jumbo Joe..I am sure I am missing a few more good ones. Canada don't need anyone..
Old March 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Beamer bro, your comparison to the Steelers is spot on. Necessity is the mother of invention, and in our case, Bowman came up with a way to find great players often neglected because of biased perception. He came up with the hockey version of "Money Ball" decades before Brad Pitt landed his Oscar nomination.

Pasha is indeed a special player. The phenomenal 2-way skills and vision notwithstanding, his presence makes others around him play better. Part inspiration and awe, but mostly his playmaking. Nick has the effect thing and their absence has resulted in mediocrity for the team as a whole. Both are silent types who lead from the front that way, and we can't seem to start well or carry the puck into the opposition zone with ease without them. Junior has become an elite player in many ways but nobody has an outlet pass like Senior. Rafalski also had a great outlet pass and we sure miss him lots. Losing the puck has become another issue in their absence.

Nick is set to retire this year, and as irreplaceable as he is, we'll do fine with Junior, Eric, White, Quincey and Smith. We can do better than Stew and Kindl and we ought to.

Pasha on the other hand is totally irreplaceable. I don't think we'll find another like him in any round let alone the 171st! Gus is capable becoming a similar type of player, but not as good. I rate Pasha's overall game higher than Stevie and Sergei's and that's saying a lot. I can't wait for him to become captain.

Anyway, we seem to be coming back after an unacceptably slow start against the Kings. Hank just scored.

And yes, the Thugs are a good team and Giroux is simply great to watch.

Last edited by Sohel; March 14, 2012 at 09:42 AM..
Old March 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cricket Guru

I had a chance to scan the West. Admittedly, I am not too up to mark with the West, since Pens are on the East and I get to watch more East teams than the West. Saying that, the playing field in the West don't impress me much sans Wings. The traditional power houses along with Wings have been Canucks and Sharks. Cancuks are inconsistent lately and Sharks are underachieving big time. Outside of Wings, the Blues are having a terrific season. When we played them early, they dominated us physically, though we won in OT ( Pens are like 14-1 against West this year !! ). They are a hard team. But, in the end, maybe to inexperienced for the playoffs. They have a great tandem in goal. Preds are tough as usual and they seem to be going for the Cup this year. But, Wings have their number, so unless something gives, I see Wings beating them again. Now, Chicago is a complete dark horse and you can never count them out, but they have severe question mark in goal. Good one night, bad the next, but they remain a super team. Dallas is having a good season but I don't think its a cup team. Despite all the injuries, I feel like Wings are the best team in the West and best suited for playoffs and with those playoff experience. I think the traditional power have shifted to the East this year from West. In the Atlantic alone, you have Rangers ( having a tremendous season ), Pens, Philly ( just scary with Giroux ) and of course the Devils.

It is going to be Wings vs Rangers/Pens/Philly/Devils ..write it down..
Old March 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Stupid Maple Leafs.....
Old March 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
Stupid Maple Leafs.....
Embrace the tank bro!!

We need to trim the crap in the off season and play some of our AHL guys, who are ready for prime time. It probably wont happen, but that's what I think needs to happen.

Namely, Lombo, Connolly (), Komi and Army to an extent need to beat it. Frattin, Kadri, Holzner all are ready for a long look, and I feel will do much better than that sad bunch.

Loops - Bozak - Kessel
Mac - Grabo - Kuly
Frattin - Kadri - Ashton
Crabb - Steckel - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gards - Schenn
Liles - Franson/Holzner

Looks like a solid team to me for next year. Especially since Carlyle can actually make the team play some D. He'll also undoubtedly have the team playing a good physical game.

Under RW D was horrid, and the team was just WAY too soft.
Old March 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Also, did you guys hear about Howson's asking price for Nash?

Apparently it was 2 roster players + 2 top prospects + 1st LOLOL

The best rumored offer came from the Rags, and it was Duby + Erixon + Miller + Thomas + 1st

If true, Howson is the biggest ****ing idiot on the planet for turning that down.

He thinks he's dealing Malkin.

Nash makes way too much money for what he brings. Overpaid by about 1.5 M.
Old March 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

He can still deal him in off season. He is not an UFA. There will be bigger share of teams he can try to fleece. Someone will bite. He is a great winger, but, like you said, a bit overpaid.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cricket Guru

I love the Winnie Jets, their fans, and their passion, but...its a bad idea to play a wide open game against the Pens. They do it every time against us. Their D always pinch deep in our territory, which results in goals for them, but at the same time, it leaves them vulnerable to our ferocious counter attack. I want the Jets to get in the playoffs and rooting for them all the way.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cricket Guru

oh BTW, huge game between Rangers-Wings tonight. I will be watching..
Old March 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
He can still deal him in off season. He is not an UFA. There will be bigger share of teams he can try to fleece. Someone will bite. He is a great winger, but, like you said, a bit overpaid.
The thing is, Nash submitted a list of 4 teams IIRC, that he will accept a trade to. Both him, and his agent have told Howson several times that the number of teams will not grow in the summer.

I think the only team that can up their offer significantly is the Sharks, but it has been reported by Kipper and BMac that Nash does not want to go the West Coast.

Additionally, seldom do you see a player yielding more value in the summer than during the TDD.

I think Howson, or mostly like his replacement, will look back at the Rags offer, and wonder why it wasn't accepted.

That's a mammoth offer.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Keep it clean man. Rangers, not Rags. Disrespectful to their fans. You are allowed to dislike a team, but, we don't need to make disparaging remarks about teams and players.

Thanks.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Test Cricketer

LOL Rags is shortcut for Rangers. In no shape or form that can be considered disrespect.

And how the heck do you see any form of hatred in that past?

Baffling why anyone would think that.
Old March 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Most Rangers fans take offense to that term. At least the ones I know..Anyway..suit yourself man..Not my team.
Old April 5, 2012, 01:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Surprising, one of my best friends is a Rangers fan, and he calls the team Rags. Depends on people I guess.

Sigh, another year, another off season in the greens.

Picking your Pitt as the favs to win if Crosby stays healthy. That 1-2 punch, along with a solid tender, and coach like Bylsma is a recipe for success in the PO.

Leafs better suck and stay at #5. Need one of Galchenyuk or Forsberg.
Old April 18, 2012, 03:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Wonder what kind of a letter Mario is gonna write now

Absolute horse **** from the Pens against the Phils