facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 12, 2006, 11:22 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv Richards
Default Should Aftab be in the Test team?

Do you think Aftab Ahmed should be included in the Test team?

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for his great attacking play. Even if he doen't score any runs at all in the rest of his career (no way thats happening), I will forever respect him for the 6 he hit in Cardiff last year.

But I believe he doesn't have "it" what it takes to be a Test player. He doesn't know how to take singles. His defence is not good either (yet). Remember how he played against Kenya? He scored great - but all he wanted to do was to hit 4's and 6's. He is a great ODI man! Not a Test player.

Old April 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yes, he should be in. He is just in two minds now: whether to play his natural game or conserve himself and its all because of selectors. He just needs to discover how to handle the long version of the game. I would recomend him that play your natural game when the bowler is bowling crap or a bad ball is bowled and conserve yourself when the bowlers are really firing.

Trust me when I say, the day he finds his rhythhm he will be one of our best test player and will be a great asset to the team. So, let him play and get used to the longer version of the game. He should be made to think about his position in the team but do not put extra pressure on him which may lead to a bad show in the field.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

yeah he needs more opportunity... I m more disappointed with ashraful since he played so many test matches already and still don't know how to control himself...
Old April 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

He needs more time to come to terms with his natural ability in test. It would be crime if he sits outside next test (which I believe will be happening, as Kapali might come in...)
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Hell yeah ...... i hv said a lot of things to support my claims abt this topic in lots of other discussions where aftab's and ashraful's name came up .... if we want to see BD cricket progress forward we need to have these two in the team ...... ashraful needs to be more consistent but he has shown what he is capable of in the test arena ..... aftab on the other hand has shonw his capabilities according to me .... but ppl can argue tht nd i wud hv to accept it ..... but the fact remains tht aftab has only played 10 test matches.... nd in between he was dropped by the selectors to make way for other players based on god knws what ..... tht did harm to him ... i suggest the selectors give him an uniinterrupted run of at least 15 test matches and then decide on his fate ..... i m sure he will shut up all his critics b4 then ..... judhishthir bhai has said tht aftab doesnt hv a good defence nd doesnt knw how to take singles !!!!!!!! i cud not disagree more .... his technique is one of the best among the BD players hence his defence automatically is good ..... abt singles ... well i guess u ppl have not seen his innings against england where he scored 81* ..... tht innings was a typical aftab knock ..... punished the bad ballls nd took singles and twos ....... i dont remember the exact number of boundaries he hit tht day but i beleive he hit sth like 8 fours ... the rest of it came in singles twos nd threes ..... for now i say just let the chap play his own game ..... we shud focus on other matters tht r more imp..
Old April 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cricket Legend

if the selectors drop him for the next test ... i will make sure i bomb their house when i go to dhaka this summer... .... this is not a game of musical chairs .. if they do nething like this then they need profesional help bcoz their head might hv sm screws loose....how the hell do u expect a 20 yr old to perform if u keep on dropping him after one test match every other time ...
Old April 12, 2006, 12:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

ofcourse.. r u outta ur mind.. why AFTAB hav 2 go.. hes tryin like Gilly.. but da diff is.. Aftab didnt get run.. in hes neu adaptation!...
Old April 12, 2006, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

The squad for second team should be unchanged. But I agree with the thread opener. Aftab doesnt have solid defense. Great ODI player though.
Old April 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
Yes, he should be in. He is just in two minds now: whether to play his natural game or conserve himself and its all because of selectors. He just needs to discover how to handle the long version of the game. I would recomend him that play your natural game when the bowler is bowling crap or a bad ball is bowled and conserve yourself when the bowlers are really firing.

Trust me when I say, the day he finds his rhythhm he will be one of our best test player and will be a great asset to the team. So, let him play and get used to the longer version of the game. He should be made to think about his position in the team but do not put extra pressure on him which may lead to a bad show in the field.
Quoted For Truth
Old April 12, 2006, 01:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

With all due respect, I think Aftab does not have the test match temperament. He is a good one day player. how about Musfiqur Rahim. Poor Mushfiq just got axed after 1 test against SL. I think he needs more chances. Alok Kapali is another good choice. He has all round performance and is a composed batsman. He doesn't play loose shots. We need some cool headed good basmen who can carry on the 2nd innings batting.
Old April 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am against in shuffling players in the middle of the series. One has to have opportunity to see out the entire series and then the selectors can decide. Having said that and we all saw what the chief selector branded Aftab with, it will not surprize me if we see a change. Just like NI was kicked out because of his outrageous shots. With 2/3 over left on the 3rd day, aftab's shot was uncalled for. I am sure before he came out to bat the coach had reminded him at what was at stake and what his role was. This is not because of the pressure that was created by the selectors. The blame belongs solely on Aftab. So if the selectors make a change (even though I wouldn't like it) that would only prove that the selectors are being consistant in handing out punishment.
Old April 12, 2006, 02:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Not only Aftab should be continued in Test Matches, we should actually offer him a permanent place in the test side for about 10 tests so that he can implement the required adaptation for test matches while playing his natural game.

Bangladesh do not have too many batsmen of Aftabs caliber and we need to extend full support to him so that he can serve the country up to his full potential.
Old April 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

If Aftab will get punished, then bashar and mashud should also get punished... but since thats not gonna happen, why have double standard
Old April 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Aftab is really the shadow of original Aftab. He lost his self beleif due to stupidity of our selectors. He was always in two mind and restricted himself from playing natural game. Aftab might get another chance in the 2nd Test but if he fails again it will be a long road for him to come back in the test squad.
Old April 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Master Blaster

[edit] Aftab is the only all rounder who performs superbly in every field. the series has just began. wait and watch for my boy to play.

Last edited by chinaman; April 12, 2006 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: mod.content. Unnecessary name calling.
Old April 12, 2006, 04:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirc
Not only Aftab should be continued in Test Matches, we should actually offer him a permanent place in the test side for about 10 tests so that he can implement the required adaptation for test matches while playing his natural game.

Bangladesh do not have too many batsmen of Aftabs caliber and we need to extend full support to him so that he can serve the country up to his full potential.
This is exactly the reason why Ash is not playing well. He thinks his presence in the team is permanent and no one can remove him from his spot. If any player wants to be in the team, he has to show his worth consistently.
But I know BD doesn't have a good pool of players where the selectors can choose player to replace someone. I am sure when that pool becomes full, all the players will be automatically forced to play good. Just a matter of time.
Old April 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
If Aftab will get punished, then bashar and mashud should also get punished... but since thats not gonna happen, why have double standard
Show me another player who has the capability of captaincy and at the same time an excellent batsman. Show me another world class wicket keeper who is as good a batsman as Mashud is. So where is the double standard?
Old April 12, 2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

he must be..
Old April 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Even though I'm very disappointed by his batting, I can't blame him entirely. He showed weakness against the spinners and needs time to correct his mistakes and adapt to the situation when the team needs him most. Right now he needs support, confidence from senior members and advice on his batting style. I hope he'll come up with a better performance in the next match.
Old April 12, 2006, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Kapali should be in for Aftab for 2nd test.
Old April 12, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketboy
Kapali should be in for Aftab for 2nd test.

...... can i be more angry at hearing this ????? .... nor can i be more confused ...... dont knw what scale u r usingto compare th two players but kapali doesnt even come close to aftab .... kapali has shown signs of improvement in the kenya series ....but as i said earlier he does not deserve a chance in the national squad now .... he has to wait till sm senior players retire ... otherwise i dont see ne reason for omitting neone frm this team to give kapali of all ppl a chance .........
Old April 12, 2006, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimraj
Show me another player who has the capability of captaincy and at the same time an excellent batsman. Show me another world class wicket keeper who is as good a batsman as Mashud is. So where is the double standard?
Well I guess you missed the point... I know Sumon and Pilot are irreplaceable right now... my point was just because of one shot, noone should be dropped and for that reason, aftab deserves another chance....
Old April 12, 2006, 06:24 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: SH, MH, TA

Well I would keep him out of the team if I had a better replacement. Since we dont have any at moment, he is ok...just plays too many shots
Old April 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Test Cricketer

i hope he will stay but the way he got out was difficult to digest.... i just cann't forget 1st day afternoon and his poor shot selection.....
Old April 12, 2006, 06:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

If the selectors include him in the test side, they should give him the freedom to play his natural game - which unfortunately is not happening now