facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 16, 2004, 10:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Big teams beat associate members by big margins without breaking a sweat. Look no further than the results from the ongoing Champions Trophy as well as the previous tournaments where minnows have participated.

As far as the big teams are concerned, they do not find BD much different from the minnows. Again, one need look no further than the ongoing Champions Trophy results and also the results of any tournament where BD have participated against the big teams.

BD are a test/ODI status team only in name,not in deed. No one should have any illusions in this regard any longer. They do not belong to the fast lane of world cricket. They are more comfortable playing with the associate members because their standard is nearer to them than the big teams. BD will do well to play in their comfort zone. I do not think BD are as yet ready for the fast lane and there is serious doubt that they will be ready for it any time soon in near future.

Old September 16, 2004, 10:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Trueblue;

I think a lot of us are just venting our frustration. Deep in our heart we believe we can do better than what we have done at ICCCT and Asia Cup. I think it is a fair statement in saying that we should continue to play Associate teams. But it may not be appropriate as a warm up for a tournament as this one.

I don't see the point of "n-tier". It's simply unfair. I have made several deliberations in the past against 2 tier test cricket. Ideally, we (i.e. BD) should play two test series a year -- one home and one away. The home series should be against Pakistan, Sri Lanka or India and the away series against one of New Zealand, Australia and England.

As an after thought, also we should have player exchange progam between Scotland and Bangladesh. Since Scotland plays in county cricket we can send a few of our batsmen to play in English condtions. In return, Scotland can send some of their bowlers to tackle the flat pitches of Bangladesh.

regards.

ghor_jamai

Edited on, September 16, 2004, 3:44 PM GMT, by ghor_jamai.

Edited on, September 16, 2004, 3:45 PM GMT, by ghor_jamai.
Old September 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Ghor_jamai bhai I think that is a bit unrealstic. I doubt Scotland would send players to Bangladesh and the same holds for Bangladesh being able to have players in County Cricket.

The crux of the matter is simple. We are not ready to play big cricket yet. You learn to crawl before you learn to walk. Bangladesh tried to walk before it could crawl and so fell many times. Now the legs are weak and if we try to walk again it might be a critical blow to our cricket.

Bangladesh should instead learn to crawl by playing against the associates and once confident should attempt once again to take on the big nations.

I hope the analagy was appropriate and understandable.

Edited on, September 16, 2004, 4:55 PM GMT, by Unknown.
Old September 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Unknown;

I agree with your point regarding walk and crawl analogy. I agree that we got our test status a bit early. I will be honest that I was surprised when I heard the news about BD receiving test status. We can't undo history. I think ICC's plan to make us play fewer number of tests is a decent plan (unlike 2-Tier).

As cricket playing country we should measure our potential against test playing countries and not associate nations. I do not disagree with the fact that BD should play a few matches (ODI) with some of the associate nations. But taking away the opportunity to play against test nation would not be fair.benchmark against test playing countries. After all we should eThe exchange player was an after thought; but, I think we should find avenues to have our players play in county cricket.
Old September 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

coolheels, the only way to improve is playing against stronger teams.

So, there has to be a balance between the opponents that we choose or the ICC choose for us.

For 3 whole years, we don't play against any ICC Associate team - this scenario is not right.

Similarly, for 3 whole years, we don't play against any Test team - this scenario is also not right.

But what happened in our recent past is that we had been playing too many strong teams and forgot totally to play with the ICC Associate teams. For example, from the year 2000 (that is warm up match against Kenya before the ICC Knock Out) to the year 2002 (that is the warm up match against Holland before the next ICC Champions Trophy) - that was a long time when we played only stronger teams.
Old September 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Have to agree with fwullah. There is a need for more balance in everyone's schedule, from Ricky Ponting to us to Scotland. The whole cricket system is whacked. It's too simplistic to say we will get better if we play the top teams only or we will start getting bad if we play the assocaites more. Granted if we never played other test teams than our standards would fall. But what some people here are saying and that I agree with is a balance in the schedule.

As for responsibilities as a Test nation, I absolutely agree with it. It is extremely selfish of Bangladesh not to have had associates send their teams to Bangladesh - the only time we play them is when we oursleves need a warm up match before a tournament. Bangladesh should not forget its own state only a few years ago when the only international cricket it got was playing a bunch of fat old men from the MCC. Don't you think our crappy domestic league players could improve if selected for some BCB XI games against touring associate teams.

The answer is more cricket, not less, and in a balance of matches. The improvements will come in time for everyone and Ricky Ponting will have more time to play golf.
Old September 16, 2004, 11:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

fwullah;

Bang on target. I agree with you.
Old September 16, 2004, 11:40 PM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

i agree with trueblue. the developing nations like bd, scotland, ireland, namibia, nepal all need support from the test teams. evenif the support comes from sending "a" teams.

bd benefitted earlier on when bd played "a" teams of other test teams and now bd should play against teams like scotland, ireland, namibia, nepal more than what it plays and even in 3/4-day matches against these teams.

bd level is slightly better than the asscoaite teams and way lower than the test teams. when other test teams achieve wins of over 100 runs/6 wickets regularly against teams like bd and assocaites,bd is unable to achieve them. instead, bd has close wins against the associates and sometimes even loses to those teams. this shows that bd has to continue playing against asscoaites as well some more time untilbd can win matches by > 100 runs/6 wk againstthese teams regularly.

bd can continue with its test and odi matches as well. however, playing fewer tests might help. 3 test series, 2 home, 1 away + 2 away tours to scotland/ireland/namibia/nepal will be the ideal program for bd in international cricket in a year.
Old September 17, 2004, 12:08 AM
Test Cricketer

I didn't read all your replies, but I do agree that Bangladesh should stop playing associates. it is lost of both evergy, time and money. If bangladesh needs to play any practice match than that should be agains A team or first division teams of a full member. Bangladeshi A team and under 19 team should play against the associates.
Old September 17, 2004, 12:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

BD is in the same league as the associate members despite enjoying the test status. If BD insists on only playing the test teams, it will continue to suffer one sided defeats the same way it has over the years till a time comes when even associates member will become better and overtake BD.

Edited on, September 17, 2004, 5:45 AM GMT, by insideedge.
Old September 17, 2004, 12:47 AM
Retired BC Admin

insideedge, please do us a big favor, will ya? Use only one nick in one thread, ok? I've pretty good idea of your line of thinking. May I ask for some restrain as well?
Old September 17, 2004, 01:10 AM
Retired BC Admin

Atul

You should be ashamed of yourself. I explained so many times and so patiently what test status meant to us and why so many of us all of a sudden started to dislike your captain Ganguly etc etc.

But you still tried to hind behind so many nicks (coolheels, cricketfan, insideedge, potshot etc) to continue to preach your dirt.

Consider this as a warning.
Old September 17, 2004, 12:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Chinaman bhai do not take this in the wrong way.

I do not think we should shun our friend here from expressing his opinion, moreover he does raise a valid point. The only thing though, is that he should not use so many nicks actively to beat the same drum.

Edited on, September 17, 2004, 5:24 PM GMT, by Unknown.
Reason: grammatical error
Old September 17, 2004, 05:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Unknown;

Criticism is cool when the form is constructive. If BD does not play test teams there is no way we shall improve our quality. Regardless, how anyone vents his/her frustration or make really derogatory comments as this Atul guy. should limit to a tolerable boundary. Chinaman is a nice guy given the fact he has only warned Atul. Too bad I am not the moderator. The warning would have come lot earlier in that case -- by now, he would be a banned item.

Thanks.

ghor_jamai

Edited on, September 18, 2004, 12:45 AM GMT, by ghor_jamai.
Old September 17, 2004, 07:41 PM
Cricket Legend

oshubidha nai........
well ponting ar shobhab shob shomoy khachhor type. aita notun kisu na. but eta thik maybe his team really didnt benefit by playing against usa. but you have to think that always thinking about own benefit is not good. ohongkar potoner mul.
Old September 18, 2004, 12:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

I do not think we should shun our friend here from expressing his opinion, moreover he does raise a valid point. The only thing though, is that he should not use so many nicks actively to beat the same drum.

if someone has that many nicks and trick us the simple members who only can post here like me, we should better ignore his post because he in the first place is not being honest with us. With more than one nick he can give us more than one opinion which may also contradict each other.
Old September 18, 2004, 12:24 AM
Test Cricketer

i think bangladesh should sent their A-team to play the associates more. like scottland ireland canada. it will be good for us and them. i am confident that our A-team could beat these guys especially canada. that should also get somewhat revenge of our wc lose to them.
Old September 18, 2004, 12:50 AM
Cricket Legend

shaoun bhai your idea seems pretty resonable. ashole amader beparta hochhe amon je amra porsi akdom mazhkhane. mane amader moton oboshthay kono team nai. hoi amader theke onek kharap. na hoi amader theke onek bhalo. ar akta jinish jaita hoise je shaita hochhe upset jokhon hoi tokhon kintu amader biruddhe hoi orthat kharap team amader haraiy kintu amader pokkhe kintu upset hochhe na orthat amra kintu kono bhalo dolke harate partesina. aita hoilai kintu onekta confidence barbe playerder. dannabad.
Old September 18, 2004, 01:00 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown
The only thing though, is that he should not use so many nicks actively to beat the same drum.
Yes, creating multiple accounts and trying to trick everyone is very low and quite stupid. I don't know what he/she (they?) are trying to achieve by creating multiple accounts and posting with multiple identities. It takes few clicks for admins to figure out who is really who.

Ultimately those who create mutiple accounts and try to get their points accross, just makes a fool of themselves in front of the world.

If others don't agree to your point of view then live with that, no need to create alternate personality
Old September 18, 2004, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerFan
Quote:

if someone has that many nicks and trick us the simple members who only can post here like me, we should better ignore his post because he in the first place is not being honest with us. With more than one nick he can give us more than one opinion which may also contradict each other.
What do you mean you can only post here. Why cant you post anywhere else???