facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 25, 2013, 09:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

My condolences and prayers with the ones affected. More to be saved. The rescuers are heroes that shouldn't go unnoticed.

Old April 25, 2013, 09:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

The thing that makes me angry is that this catastrophe could have easily been prevented. The builders warned that the building was dodgy and told everyone to not go to that building yet the owners forced all the workers in. The stupid owner can be held responsible. No one seems to put importance over peoples lives.

Was this the thinking of the owner? "So what if a run down building might collapse and kill 200+ people? I want them to work".

A real tragedy and my hearts are with those who are suffering from this event.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:58 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

My friend on the ground reports that there is shortage of oxygen cylinders, ambulances and structural engineers. I just wonder if there is a disaster response team from the government that is coordinating the rescue efforts?
Old April 25, 2013, 10:29 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman

Era na ekek ta desh premik? Ei tar nomuna? Eto tuku ki buk kaape na eishob kotha bolte?
Ai shob politician der k shat rastar more nie juta peta kora uchith day and night ar world wide LIVE telecast kora dorkar.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketPagolChele
Ai shob politician der k shat rastar more nie juta peta kora uchith day and night ar world wide LIVE telecast kora dorkar.
tarpor o eder shorom lojja hobe na. Allah je eder ke ki diye banaise. Oh.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old April 26, 2013, 03:05 AM
Cricket Legend

i'm hearing that workers from other garment factories are fighting with other people on the streets of Dhaka?
Old April 26, 2013, 05:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

CNN.com has the story on their front page and it has its own heading. Very surprised to see that.

"The High Price of Our Cheap Clothes" is the heading.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 26, 2013, 05:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
i'm hearing that workers from other garment factories are fighting with other people on the streets of Dhaka?
yes

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/...ers-on-warpath
Old April 26, 2013, 06:27 AM
Forever Bangy

Is there no scope for immediate physical foreign aide? Surely the quicker the concrete is cleared, the more people that survive?
Old April 26, 2013, 06:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Is there no scope for immediate physical foreign aide? Surely the quicker the concrete is cleared, the more people that survive?
Not so easy, using heavy machinery would severely risk the effort of saving people who might be stuck inside and are still alive...
Old April 26, 2013, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

This is really unacceptable. All resources of the govt should be mobilized to help these people.
http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/news/a-daunting-task/

Quote:
For instance, no medical team was seen present on the spot when victim Rikta Begum, who got trapped on the third floor, was rescued from debris by severing her hand with a saw yesterday around 5:00pm.
Lying on a bed at Enam Medical College Hospital in Savar she gave the horrific account of how her right hand had to be amputated without any anaesthesia.
I understand the argument that heavy machinery to remove concrete has to be used carefully, but experts should be running the show not local volunteers.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Disgusting response and effectiveness from the government, heard how one of the ministers (home I think?) tried to lay blame on BNP by saying how their supports were shaking the gates of the building which in turn caused the collapse. Seriously, how these people become ministers I will never understand.
Old April 27, 2013, 05:44 AM
Cricket Legend

No one could have foreseen the catastrophe to hit, and hit so hard. The garments owners make a commitment to the buyers about the quality as well as shipment schedule. If they do not keep their promise, they get no more orders. Even the importers may choose to reject any late shipments.
Many things are tied together, and it is not only greed for money. West is a different world away from BD, and BD garment Owners have learned the western culture hard way. This is why they are so strict with quality and schedule. I believe, only in order to maintain the schedule, the Owners had to force the workers to go inside. They had no alternative sites.

So the bottom line is that we follow the West when it comes to meeting deadlines but not in safety, that is why the workers had to be forced to work in a building with cracks.

I met a friend yesterday who said the media should not report details of the victims with so much detail as that will destroy our image and cause harm to our garments industry; had to refrain myself from doing what i felt like doing

Old April 27, 2013, 08:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Let the unfortunate (the leaders of my country) be as they can be. Let us plan ahead and do as much as we can to help the fallen and those who are seriously injured.

Through our actions we can change the WORLD, let alone BD.
Old April 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Our disaster response is terrible

this is a story about a hero who saved many lives.
http://www.newagebd.com/detail.php?d...0#.UXxQ07XvslM

Why aren't trained professional's helping these people... the common people is left to fend for themselves. Apparently the life of a garment worker is not worthy enough to get a more comprehensive response from the govt.
Old April 27, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

What scares me is that this is just one building and Dhaka is packed with such shoddy buildings.

In the event of earthquake it will be catastrophic.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Disgusting how govt haven't reacted properly. These are lives of innocent people and all they do is nothing? This mentality will never change.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Govt action or inaction, there were and are people in the rescue efforts who gave everything they could and were the main reason why 2000+ people were rescued so far.

Meanwhile BGMEA is worried about their image
http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/ne...y-exaggerated/

The constant uploading of graphic imagery, they claim, has created an “image crisis” for them in the international arena.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:20 AM
Test Cricketer

There are two ways to deal with so called "image" problem. One way is the typical useless bangladeshi way. Which is to try to "dhama-chapa" everything, blame everyone else, and not take personal responsibility.

The other way, which I think is the right way to handle it, is to acknowledge the problem, point out what needs to be fixed, give everyone a time-frame within which they will fix it and then piblicly update everyone as they handle the issue.

This will take care of the so called image problem and help make them look like a pro-active government.

But ofcourse we are talking about bangladesh here...

The other day the PM said that she knows that about 90% of bangladeshi building construction doesnt follow the rules or use right materials. I felt like slapping her right across the face, does she not realize that as a head of the government its her responsibility to make sure that it doesn't stay that way, does she not realize that we are sitting on a major tectonic fault. If we have a big earthquake in bd it will be many orders of magnitude worse than what happened in savaar.

when hundreds of thousands of people gets killed in an event of a major earthquake it will be all on her hands, she openly admitted to have prior knowledge of long standing problem and did nothing about it.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

bravo blah bravo.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

Sohel Rana(the owner of the building) captured from Benapole by RAB

I don't know if it was because of public pressure or because 'shorkar-r tonok nodeche' naaki or from a genuine sense of responsibility - whatever the reason, he has at least been captured.

Now the govt. needs to try him for murder and put his case in front of a Speedy Trial Court - like that of those who throw acid on poor girls - no legal slothness. Do this right and put him on trial for murder of hundreds and the result can be only one - the maximum penalty!

Last edited by Gladiators; April 28, 2013 at 05:36 AM..
Old April 28, 2013, 05:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
There are two ways to deal with so called "image" problem. One way is the typical useless bangladeshi way. Which is to try to "dhama-chapa" everything, blame everyone else, and not take personal responsibility.

The other way, which I think is the right way to handle it, is to acknowledge the problem, point out what needs to be fixed, give everyone a time-frame within which they will fix it and then piblicly update everyone as they handle the issue.

This will take care of the so called image problem and help make them look like a pro-active government.

But ofcourse we are talking about bangladesh here...

The other day the PM said that she knows that about 90% of bangladeshi building construction doesnt follow the rules or use right materials. I felt like slapping her right across the face, does she not realize that as a head of the government its her responsibility to make sure that it doesn't stay that way, does she not realize that we are sitting on a major tectonic fault. If we have a big earthquake in bd it will be many orders of magnitude worse than what happened in savaar.

when hundreds of thousands of people gets killed in an event of a major earthquake it will be all on her hands, she openly admitted to have prior knowledge of long standing problem and did nothing about it.
Bhaia agree with everything you said - but ektu add korte chai. Govt is there to make rules and enforce rules - that is a given. They cannot hide behind this issue by saying, eta long standing problem, or it's too hard or that this has been going on for 20 years.

They are also culpable.

Kintu, shob kichu rules/laws diye hoye naa. We as people also have to change. You know what the right thing to do is, but a vast majority are trying to cheat the system and save money by building substandard housing. Amra - the general public can't pass the blame so easily. Amra apartment building korchi, but we too are asking builders/engineers how to do it cheaply - that is our main concern, not how to build safe apartments/buildings/malls.

Ekhon joto manush dialogue maarche, say Rajuk goes on a 6 month(army led) drive to identify faulty buildings - and starts to condemn buildings, or asks people to vacate premises until they are retrofitted to be safe...watch the reaction!

Amra-i tokhon bolbo...shorkar barabari korche, amar building ami onek mojbut kore banaise, shorkar amar shob niye jaache, khamakha amader hoirani korche. Nijeder mentality change korte hobe - shob shorkar kore dibe naa, paarbe-o naa.

EDIT: Thread title ta change kore - over 400 killed so far
Old April 28, 2013, 05:30 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
yes

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/...ers-on-warpath
Yeah I saw the rallies in Mirpur this morning also
Old April 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Huh, era r manush hobe na, kobe je ei sob politician der haat theke amra rokkha pabo. Dhur. ‘বিএনপি ক্ষমতায় গেলে নিহতদের ২০ লাখ টাকা করে দেওয়া হবে’

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old April 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Very tragic. May Allah help the victims family, close ones and loved ones in this devastating building collapse!